Could the Republic have beaten the CIS?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sheev
Take Order 66 out of the equation. Could the Republic have legitimately beaten the Confederacy?

Total Warrior
Yeah of course, they were already kicking their asses. Better soldiers + Jedi.

Zenwolf
Depends on what Continuity you go by.

Sheev
Lets say both. Legends and canon.

Sheev
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Yeah of course, they were already kicking their asses. Better soldiers + Jedi. the CIS still had the overwhelming numbers.

Zenwolf
Canon? Probably.

Legends? Doubtful, the CIS had a few unique game changers and they were only destroyed because Palps leaked information to the Republic.

Lord Stark
Canon? Yes.
Legends? Nah, I don't think so. The Death Star was still under CIS control, you may have even seen a partially operational one by the end of the war.

Eli Vanto
How would the republic have beaten the CIS in canon? Weren't their resources like completely exhausted by the end?

relentless1
republic had better quality while CIS had better numbers... having said that the droids were VASTLY inferior to the Clones which is demonstrated time and time again during the Clone Wars show; not to mention the Jedi being on hand for all major battles and you have somewhat of a landslide victory despite CIS having superior numbers

Jmanghan
I really don't see how (with the Jedi) the CIS could win.

I don't think the droids are enough to pull it off.

Tzeentch
Logistics wins wars and the CIS has infinitely more resources and manpower than the Republic, so from a purely rationale perspective: no. However, the canon has done such an awful job presenting the capabilities of both sides that either side can win depending on what the plot needs.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Logistics wins wars and the CIS has infinitely more resources and manpower than the Republic, so from a purely rationale perspective: no. However, the canon has done such an awful job presenting the capabilities of both sides that either side can win depending on what the plot needs.

I honestly never got the feeling of some huge war from the 08 TCW.

Galan007
I'm really not sure if the Republic could have beaten the CIS in canon(without Palpatine's behind-the-scenes string pulling, obvs.) By TCW S03, the Republic was already near bankruptcy -- to the point where ordering a few million more clones would have bankrupted them entirely. Seemed like the heavy implication is that they didn't have the numbers/finances to truly "win" if the war had been prolonged... Even with the Jedi in their corner.

Granted, they could have taken out an additional line of credit from the IBC to order more clones, but who knows if that batch would have even been ready in time to make any sort of difference. /shrug

Flip side, I don't recall it ever being stated in canon(though I could be wrong) that the CIS was having any significant financial difficulty... Seemed like they could just keep cranking out droids endlessly.

Zenwolf
Ah I had forgotten about that bit about the ordering Clones thing in Canon, which honestly I feel like the Republic should be able to do without bankrupting them...that kinda speaks volumes about their economy as a whole and that sucks..imo.

Then again this is a much smaller galaxy in this Canon(like 3.2 million habitable worlds right?), so maybe it's not that shocking.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.