Mass Effect - Legendary Edition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
So it's officially official:

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/11/07/happy-n7-day-4/

https://www.pcgamer.com/electronic-arts-is-teasing-awesome-news-for-mass-effect-fans-tomorrow/

Smasandian
Awesome. Now lets see some graphics!

-Pr-
Yeah. I have the trilogy on pc some really nice graphics mods, but if it looks sufficiently good, that "all dlc, even the promo shite included" guarantee is really tempting me.

Arachnid1
Day 1. I hope they give ME1 somewhat of an overhaul in combat mechanics.

Smasandian
Probably not. I think this might be just a remaster...but I can dream.

Tzeentch
Fantastic. Hopefully this will give a pop bump to ME3's multiplayer.

cdtm
Time to pull out the Xbox 360 discs.

Adam Grimes
You've become predictable, friend.

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
You've become predictable, friend.

I like routines.

That's why this pandemic is killing me, you never know whats around the corner.

Stoic
Mass Effect fell on its ass while walking through a field of dicks.

BackFire
Buying this immediately upon release

Trocity
Originally posted by BackFire
Buying this immediately upon release

thumb up

Smasandian
Me too. I was going to play the series again but held off with the understanding this could be remade.

Thought...it could be complete shit.

cdtm
Originally posted by Stoic
Mass Effect fell on its ass while walking through a field of dicks.

Seems it. 2 is still fun.

And even back then everyone said to get the PC version, so its not like I'm gonna double dip now if I wouldn't back then. I mean, I have Warmastered and Deathmastered editions of Darksiders, and still play the 360 copies instead.

Its really about principle over anything else. Pushing back against new money for old rope, which has become far too common.

Smasandian
Principal? They are making a product that people seem to want. No different than the 30 million nostalgia indie games that get released everyday.

1. You do not need to buy it all.
2. Old versions still work.
3. Old versions are backward compatible on Xbox Seriers S/X.
4. It's also available on PC.

If they clean it up, make a few needed changes, add all the DLC/games....why not. Again...you do not need to buy it.

BackFire

Smasandian
I agree.

What I would love to happen is:

1. Better combat as you describe. And better UI.
2. Better lightening comparable to current gen titles (I think this is a PS4/Xbox One title that will work through BC...so no ray tracing)
3. 4k 60FPS
4. Re-do all three games planet scanning...make it better..not sure how..but better. I would love ME1 planet driving to have better quests (aka...not copy/paste as it was in the original).
5. Leave the ending open for a sequel!! hahaha

cdtm
Originally posted by Smasandian
Principal? They are making a product that people seem to want. No different than the 30 million nostalgia indie games that get released everyday.

1. You do not need to buy it all.
2. Old versions still work.
3. Old versions are backward compatible on Xbox Seriers S/X.
4. It's also available on PC.

If they clean it up, make a few needed changes, add all the DLC/games....why not. Again...you do not need to buy it.

Bah, there's a fine line between money giving people what they want and money grubbing. Like anyone ever needed another Skyrim.

I wouldn't mind so much if the prices were reasonable to the tune of, say ten dollars. Yes, I'm particularly cheap, but the mere existence of loot boxes, and their success, proves there's a subset of suckers who will spend any amount of money on anything. Those people ruin it for thrifty consumers.

Tzeentch
On the other hand, you're the same man who said that squadrons wasn't worth $40 because entirely different, older games of the same genre could be bought for cheaper. So logically even $10 would be too expensive for you since this is just a graphical remake of games you already own, yeah?

cdtm
Originally posted by Tzeentch
On the other hand, you're the same man who said that squadrons wasn't worth $40 because entirely different, older games of the same genre could be bought for cheaper. So logically even $10 would be too expensive for you since this is just a graphical remake of games you already own, yeah?

Actually, I think Squadrons is simply a shit game. As far as I can see, it's main hook is multiplayer.

I hate multiplayer.

If it had a good single player campaign, I may have considered it.

Tzeentch
So you were arguing in bad faith in the Squadrons thread?

Because you complained at length about its price being your sticking point.

cdtm
So you were arguing in bad faith in the Squadrons thread?

Because you complained at length about its price being your sticking point.

I said it's not worth the money relative to the content.

Take away the Star Wars ip, and you have just a low quality space shooter with very little single player content. It's a cheap cash grab designed to hook Star Wars fanboys, pure and simple. Multiplayer means they don't need to go to the trouble or expense of creating content, the fanboys entertain themselves.

No thanks.

-Pr-
I liked Squadrons... shrug

Smasandian
Yeah..Star Wars Squadrons is fun and worth the price.

In fact, I would argue multiplayer is more difficult to develop than single player content.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by cdtm
I said it's not worth the money relative to the content.

Take away the Star Wars ip, and you have just a low quality space shooter with very little single player content. It's a cheap cash grab designed to hook Star Wars fanboys, pure and simple. Multiplayer means they don't need to go to the trouble or expense of creating content, the fanboys entertain themselves.

No thanks. On what basis are you stating that it's low quality- considering you by admission have not played it?

cdtm
On what basis are you stating that it's low quality- considering you by admission have not played it?

Video streams and uploads.

Plus reviews that outright admit the visual quality is very low, for a company with such deep pockets. This is likely intentional, they know full well fanboys will buy any tripe with Star Wars slapped on, and multiplayer is a very good dollar to profits strategy, because it requires nothing but giving a sandbox and letting people be hyper competitive.

Me, I prefer a solid single player experience, and well made gameplay.

-Pr-
Video streams and uploads.

Plus reviews that outright admit the visual quality is very low, for a company with such deep pockets. This is likely intentional, they know full well fanboys will buy any tripe with Star Wars slapped on, and multiplayer is a very good dollar to profits strategy, because it requires nothing but giving a sandbox and letting people be hyper competitive.

Me, I prefer a solid single player experience, and well made gameplay.

Low visual quality?

The graphics are fine. The gameplay is solid. And the campaign has actual well-written moments. It's just a bit short.

And they're still updating multiplayer.

Smasandian
I always find this strange.

On one hand, people ***** about "bad or low" graphics as a negative thing. Then on the other hand, say that it's not all about graphics when talking about new gaming systems.

The graphics for Squadrons is fine. The combat is good and the flight mechanics are great. The MP is fun as and the SP campaign is good. For 40 bucks, it's a good deal..

Anyways, depending on the price of this Mass Effect edition....I am intrigued on the graphics options.

cdtm
If it had generic space ships and no trace of Star Wars IP, I doubt many would buy it at all.

Smasandian
That means nothing....that doesn't say anything about the quality of the product.

There is a million products out there that are great but don't sell...there is a million products that are shit that don't sell...there is a million products that are great and sell and a million products that are shit and sell.

cdtm
Sure lemming. Enjoy your Star Wars trash.

I'll enjoy a good game.

Tzeentch
List the last three games you've played and enjoyed.

cdtm
This is all you need.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpR9IkWYcFM

To this day, nothing comes close.

cdtm
https://www.wcsaga.com/

This fan game >>>>>>>> Squadrons.

Smasandian
Even though you have never played the game..and most people who have...enjoy it.

But....you can have both games...there is no law in the universe that says "Half Life 2 is a best game of all time....so there can never bee another shooter ever".

Nemesis X
With a new Mass Effect in development alongside the Legendary Edition, could we hope for something changed by the end of ME3 to tease of what's to come I wonder? ME4? Or maybe it'll be a prequel spin-off. After the last game's bombing to the point of having it's DLC cancelled, I dunno if EA/Bioware wants to attempt re-exploring Andromeda. Personally I wouldn't mind going back there if they can just make the gameplay feel like the first 3.

cdtm
Could not care less. 3 killed the franchise. Andromeda bured it.

ares834
At this point, the only way to continue the ME franchise with a hypothetical ME4 is to go with the indoctrination theory.

-Pr-
As much as I dislike that theory, you may be right.

Could not care less. 3 killed the franchise. Andromeda bured it.

3 didn't kill the franchise. It made Bioware and EA a very nice chunk of change.

Sure, the ending was balls, but sales were just fine.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by -Pr-

The Reapers do have mind altering technology to make Lovecraft proud so something as messed as giving the hero the illusion they just saved the galaxy sounds about right. This would bring back the original plan Hudson & Co had for the Reapers they scrapped for that rushed rush for the portal to the magic MacGuffin Station.

And even with an ending bad as it is, Mass Effect's still awesome reliving. "It's not the destination, but the journey." That don't mean the ending can't still improve though.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Nemesis X
The Reapers do have mind altering technology to make Lovecraft proud so something as messed as giving the hero the illusion they just saved the galaxy sounds about right. This would bring back the original plan Hudson & Co had for the Reapers they scrapped for that rushed rush for the portal to the magic MacGuffin Station.

And even with an ending bad as it is, Mass Effect's still awesome reliving. "It's not the destination, but the journey." That don't mean the ending can't still improve though.

I'm not arguing that the Reapers aren't capable of it. They definitely are. I just don't like it as an ending, and if it was the original ending, then I'm glad they didn't go with it.

Smasandian
I liked ME3 the most in the series.

I know people were very disappointed with the end but I always felt they closed up most of the story loops that occurred throughout the series. It also had the best combat.

But my main reason I enjoyed it the most is because the best part of the series are the Reapers and that game made them the baddest mother****ers on the planet and nailed it.

The ending could of been much better but I can't fault the entire game for 5 minutes...because for me...the journey was incredible....by far the best trilogy that generation (and I could argue..the best trilogy ever..but that's just me).

And for the ending, I think my main disappointment was the ending cutscene...and not the boy conversation...I never really understood why people screamed bloody murder for that..it felt the same as every other situation you get put in.

cdtm

3 didn't kill the franchise. It made Bioware and EA a very nice chunk of change.

Sure, the ending was balls, but sales were just fine.

Thought it was a step back from 2 in general. The character arcs were so good and diverse in 2, 3's extended bang bang shoot shoot really stood out after multiple play throughs.

ares834
I'm not arguing that the Reapers aren't capable of it. They definitely are. I just don't like it as an ending, and if it was the original ending, then I'm glad they didn't go with it.

And you prefer the ending we got? Literal space magic that can do whatever the **** it wants?

But my main reason I enjoyed it the most is because the best part of the series are the Reapers and that game made them the baddest mother****ers on the planet and nailed it.

I completely disagree. ME3 took all the mystique from the Reapers. It changed them from unknowable machine "gods" to simply powerful warships that served some space wizard. I don't remember any imposing lines or any of the weird Lovecraftian stuff. Seriously, the conversation with Sovereign was more awesome and made the Reapers far more terrifying than anything in ME3.

Edit: I also was not at all a fan with what they did with Harbinger. The second game built him up as the big bad. You interact with him, talk with him, and fight those he is "directly" controlling. And then the third game just kinda ignores him. Very underwhelming. Though Harbinger also paled in comparison to Sovereign.

cdtm
Yeah, the Collectors and their master were by far the highlight of the entire trilogy. Just one big ride of terror ending in a climatic final stage in the heart of a Reaper.

Honestly, the Descent Freespace series is how Mass Effect should have went with it. Very little information was given about Shivans, their motivations, their origins. It made them far more compelling as antagonists, letting their actions do the talking for them, and letting fans fill in the gaps on the details.

-Pr-
I liked ME3 the most in the series.

I know people were very disappointed with the end but I always felt they closed up most of the story loops that occurred throughout the series. It also had the best combat.

The ending could of been much better but I can't fault the entire game for 5 minutes...because for me...the journey was incredible....by far the best trilogy that generation (and I could argue..the best trilogy ever..but that's just me).

And for the ending, I think my main disappointment was the ending cutscene...and not the boy conversation...I never really understood why people screamed bloody murder for that..it felt the same as every other situation you get put in.

Half agree, half disagree as always lol

Thought it was a step back from 2 in general. The character arcs were so good and diverse in 2, 3's extended bang bang shoot shoot really stood out after multiple play throughs.

Well to be fair, 2 is one of the best games of the last ten years. It was always going to be a hard act to follow. 3 does have a lot to like in it, imo.

Originally posted by ares834
And you prefer the ending we got? Literal space magic that can do whatever the **** it wants?

I completely disagree. ME3 took all the mystique from the Reapers. It changed them from unknowable machine "gods" to simply powerful warships that served some space wizard. I don't remember any imposing lines or any of the weird Lovecraftian stuff. Seriously, the conversation with Sovereign was more awesome and made the Reapers far more terrifying than anything in ME3.

Edit: I also was not at all a fan with what they did with Harbinger. The second game built him up as the big bad. You interact with him, talk with him, and fight those he is "directly" controlling. And then the third game just kinda ignores him. Very underwhelming. Though Harbinger also paled in comparison to Sovereign.

God no. The endings we got were crap too because Hudson can't write endings for shit.

cdtm
Citidal should have been given away free as an apology, considering it's the real swan song of the series.

Smasandian
Meh, you had a few Reapers destroying entire planets while Sovereign can't even defeat a few ships. I'm not how much more badass you can be.

I don't remember much but I always though the Reapers were known to be machines and were created by something.

And they had to explain the Reapers....if they left it open and said "yeah, they are a mystery" then there would be a much bigger outcry. They spend 2 games showing them and teasing them and if the third game didn't say anything about their creation...that would suck more.

cdtm
Freespace never explained the Shivans, and that's considered the best space shooter ever made.

ares834
Meh, you had a few Reapers destroying entire planets while Sovereign can't even defeat a few ships. I'm not how much more badass you can be.

What made Sovereign bad ass wasn't the fact that it had big pew pews but the dialogue and presence it had. Regardless, the only reason it could be destroyed by the fleet was because it's shields became corrupted after Shepard killed Saren while it was possessing him.

And they had to explain the Reapers....if they left it open and said "yeah, they are a mystery" then there would be a much bigger outcry. They spend 2 games showing them and teasing them and if the third game didn't say anything about their creation...that would suck more.

No they didn't have to explain anything. It isn't relevant. And it certainly would have been better left unexplained than the garbage we ended up getting. It also doesn't help that their purpose is supposedly unknowable by human minds and yet the Starchild was able to say what their purpose was in a 5 minute conversation....

-Pr-
I thought Leviathan was decent, but no, I didn't need to know the origin of the reapers. Sometimes less is more.

Nemesis X

Pretty sure I recall Sovereign making swiss cheese out of some ships. It was only vulnerable as it was by the end 'cause Shepard gave it a migraine killing it's host body it was still linked to.

Was there an outcry when nobody knew what Judge Doom's deal was in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, were Doctor Who fans livid not having the Midnight episode explain it's monster, did Blair Witch bomb 'cause we didn't see said witch? Gears of War never fully explained the origins of the Locust and Myrrah until 5 and it was doing alright enough prior. If you're gonna rush your game like EA made Bioware do with 3's ending and you ain't got better alternative means explaining your horrors existing beyond the edges of the galaxy, maybe don't try and see what happens.

Smasandian
I didn't say they did it well....

-Pr-
I didn't say they did it well....

laughing out loud I literally coughed up my tea.

KingD19
In all these years they could come up with a better ending. But they won't. And there's no defending the ending. You can try but it won't work because the ending was awful and lazy as hell. Multiple fan theories were far superior. Like the Indoctrination Theory would have been amazing as the opener to an actual ending worth the hundreds of hours I poured into the trilogy. And a cutscene that maybe showed off all the effort that was put in. Like you tell us how Elcor strap massive cannons to their backs and are basically walking heavy artillery...and then never show it despite me getting them to fight on our side.

BackFire

KingD19
My only gripe with ME3 is the ending. Up until the final 20 minutes its a masterpiece. I too have played the entire series at least a dozen times, and after all that time the ending is still hot garbage for a number of reasons.

It reeks of lazy writing, they shoehorned in the star child, they made the entirety of 3 not matter, they blatantly lied to the entire fan base about what was going to happen, they tricked you into thinking all the grinding and gathering allies would actually help you win against the Reapers, etc...

And at least the Indoctrination theory would have made things make sense and would have linked all 3 games together more closely through Shepard.

They dropped the ball and the absence of the team leads and writers who left during/after ME2 was definitely felt.

Trocity
Despite the not so good ending, I still think 3 is the best game in the series overall.

BackFire

ares834
ME2 is easily the best of the trilogy. The first time playing though the suicide mission, back when you were unaware of how it worked only knowing that any pf the characters including Shepard could die, was perhaps the most thrilling gaming experience I've ever had. Never before had consequences in a game felt so real.

Adam Grimes
The ending might have been lackluster compared to the impossible-to-meet expectations placed upon it, but I would never ever prefer a shitty creepypasta to take it's place.

KingD19
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
The ending might have been lackluster compared to the impossible-to-meet expectations placed upon it, but I would never ever prefer a shitty creepypasta to take it's place.

Are you referring to the "Indoctrination Theory"? It was a very well thought out theory that never bills itself as anything but that. Even still, it spanned the entire trilogy and would have been an amazing prologue to the actual ending of the game and would've let them give a sense of hopelessness before they actually delivered on the ending they promised.

https://indoctrinated.fandom.com/wiki/ Indoctrination_Theory_Wiki#:~:text=Indoctrination%
20Theory%2C%20commonly%20abbreviated%20IT,in%20an%
20internal%20battle%20against - If you think this is a shitty creepypasta, you clearly haven't read it. It's head and shoulders better than the "Pick a color, any color" ending we got that completely ignored all the actual work you put in over the games like gathering allies and doing all those side quests.

And I would've preferred that creepypasta to the literal shitty ending we got for ME3.

Adam Grimes
There's a reason it was created back then when 'lost episodes', 'purgatory theories' and etc seemed to be all the internet couldn't shut up about. It shares the same premise and roots. Not interesting in my opinion.

And the ending was handled as well as every other ending in similar, contemporary games.

KingD19
The ending was garbage and anyone who thinks differently is willfully ignorant and ignoring how BioWare blatantly lied to everyone. If it was so good they wouldn't have needed to come out with extra ending content just to try and appease the overwhelming majority of the fan base, which they still failed at. Its lambasted as one of the worst video game endings of all time for a reason.

Adam Grimes
Calm down. I never said it was good. It was serviceable at best, specially after the dlc (admittedly a shit move).

But this line caught my attention: 'Its lambasted as one of the worst video game endings of all time for a reason.' lol. Videogame coverage is one of the most inflammatory, biased and sensationalist forms of journalism there's ever been. Sorry I don't subscribe to Angry Joe's views on games lol.

KingD19
Did you think I was referencing Angry Joe? Multiple outlets from youtubers to professional groups like IGN and every video game publication under the sun criticize the ending. You'll find a lot more who don't like it than do. And the ones who do can't give a legit reason as to why its good, or an excuse as to why the devs outright lied about the ending, which they did.

BackFire
I liked aspects of the original ending more than the extended one. Mostly in the mood and pacing of the original one.

Smasandian
I loved the ending push towards the Beam and walking through the Citadel on all of that stuff.

-Pr-
Yeah, I enjoyed the final level and the push towards the beam. Even the stuff with Anderson and the Illusive Man is good. But after that... eesh.

But, as some have said, the shoving aside of most of the cast from 2 is a huge negative in my book. And 2 had the best characters imo.

KingD19
Thane also deserved a better death. Kai Leng was such a cheap character.

cdtm
Originally posted by KingD19
The ending was garbage and anyone who thinks differently is willfully ignorant and ignoring how BioWare blatantly lied to everyone. If it was so good they wouldn't have needed to come out with extra ending content just to try and appease the overwhelming majority of the fan base, which they still failed at. Its lambasted as one of the worst video game endings of all time for a reason.

It was a lazy cop out.

Mass Effect is based on choice affecting outcome. Like the second game and the amount of people you can save, or not. Like the pre-endgame status of Shep being a happy bachelor getting some "Me time", or being shackled with emotionally damaged or manipulative harpies.

Everyone getting the same ending in a franchise who's main selling point is choice leading to consequence knocks that house of cards over.

Nemesis X
Casey Hudson retired from Bioware.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/3/22151192/bioware-casey-hudson-mark-darrah-leaving-dragon-age-mass-effect

BackFire

-Pr-
Yeah, Mark Darrah. He's a huge loss imo.

Nemesis X
March 12th is the release date according to online retailers.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-11-looks-like-mass-effect-legendary-edition-launches-in-march

Trocity
Oh baby, 2 months. I am erect.

Smasandian
Yeah, I hope it's a good remastered.

I might take some time off!

-Pr-
Curiouser and curiouser...

https://i.imgur.com/RpPriJm.png

Smasandian
That's promising if true. It's makes sense that Mass Effect 1 would be the most modified of the three...I assume fixing up the combat system to put more inline with the second two games.

-Pr-
At this point I'm hoping they just don't **** it up, tbh. I'd at least like to keep some of the RPG aspects of the first game.

Smasandian
yeah...i would guess those are too ingrained in the game to remove or modified....I think?

I'm guessing its combat related...or they fix or improve the planet hopping parts. I also hope they make changes to planet scanning in ME2 and ME3....those were quite dull.

Also..probably work with load times and such...maybe remove a few loading screens that are needed (planet stuff....)

cdtm
Yeah, Mark Darrah. He's a huge loss imo.

Wise move. Leaving the sinking ship behind.

BackFire
That's promising if true. It's makes sense that Mass Effect 1 would be the most modified of the three...I assume fixing up the combat system to put more inline with the second two games.

Give the first game a reasonable inventory management, decent combat similar to ME3 and a functional cover system and we're golden.

Smasandian
I would kill for some of the planet hopping parts to be filled with more exciting and interesting things.

Or at least have the internal structures not be so copy/pasted.

BackFire

Smasandian
Yeah, you are probably right. I can dream.

I'm not sure a company could do something like the generic planet hopping stuff today.

Smasandian
May 14th.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-legendary-edition-changes-the-original-trilogy-in-several-ways/1100-6486987/

Key points
- ME1 weapons are not tied to classes...you can use any weapon but only classes dedicated to that weapon can be trained. I like this change...
- inventory system is being worked on but nothing major will occur.
- bunch of improvements to movement, AI and etc...probably to be more inline with 2nd and 3rd.
- Extended Cut is the ending of the series.
- Universal Character Creator...makes sense....
- all DLC except for Pinnacle Station...due to how PS3 did not have it because source dat was corrupted.
- load times on new systems will be reduce drastically

Graphics look good from the trailer..the only thing I really noticed was Citadel map from ME1 looks pretty darn good.

ares834
https://i.ibb.co/nM6263n/soulvssoulless.jpg

Soul vs Soulless

ares834
Thank you JJ Abrams.
https://i.ibb.co/z5vQK8t/1612283848154.jpg

Nemesis X
May huh? Sorry RE8 but plans with you have been postponed. The galaxy needs me (again).

Edit: my god is that sun in the screenshots trying to blind me?

-Pr-
Trailer:

-acBAH6Yups

Nice highlight reel but wanted to see some gameplay. Especially of ME1.

Smasandian
Yeah...I have to assume that will be later.

BackFire
Sounds great. Will purchase immediately upon release.

-Pr-
Yeah...I have to assume that will be later.

I just hate trailers for games with no gameplay.

-Pr-
While I fully understand that they can't have Pinnacle Station included (and to be fair, I don't consider it a great loss), I'm a bit wary of them going back and changing certain cutscenes:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/02/mass-effect-remaster-interview-changing-femshep-but-not-the-ending-14008330/

The relevant part:

And sure, people will say "well, it's just Miranda's ass", but tbh, I'm now wondering what they might have sneakily changed without telling us.

cdtm
While I fully understand that they can't have Pinnacle Station included (and to be fair, I don't consider it a great loss), I'm a bit wary of them going back and changing certain cutscenes:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/02/mass-effect-remaster-interview-changing-femshep-but-not-the-ending-14008330/

The relevant part:

And sure, people will say "well, it's just Miranda's ass", but tbh, I'm now wondering what they might have sneakily changed without telling us.

I'm puzzled on how things have "evolved". Last I checked, heterosexual males like a nice ass now, as much as they did when the game was made.

Smasandian
Because it most cases, there is no point of the shot. If I remember correctly, Mass Effect had some of that....if it's part of romance scene...then sure.

But you know...talking about how the Reapers are going to **** shit up and boom, a full on shot of Miranda's ass..it serves no purpose.

Quincy
Can't wait to romance Jack all over again

cdtm
Because it most cases, there is no point of the shot. If I remember correctly, Mass Effect had some of that....if it's part of romance scene...then sure.

But you know...talking about how the Reapers are going to **** shit up and boom, a full on shot of Miranda's ass..it serves no purpose.

Sure it serves a purpose.

Guys buy more games then women, and guys like a little titillation. Oldest trick in the book.

Far as I can see, the exact same audience then, is the audience keeping video games afloat now. Mostly hetero males with a bookmark full of porn links. Same types oogling slave girl princess Leia in 1983.

Smasandian
Haha...yeah no. That's not a good take...and a dumb as one.

BackFire

Trocity
I hope you can still KO the female reporter after telling her you've had enough of her disingenuous assertions.

BackFire

-Pr-

You're not wrong.

It just, for me, brings up that question of "well, if they'd change one thing, what else will they change?", and that bothers me.

cdtm
You're not wrong.

It just, for me, brings up that question of "well, if they'd change one thing, what else will they change?", and that bothers me.

I'd be fine taking away the punching reporter bit tbh. Even Kirk never went that far.

-Pr-
I'd be fine taking away the punching reporter bit tbh. Even Kirk never went that far.

Why? She's goading you. It's up to you whether to hit her.

==

I do hope, whatever happens, that the games will have at least as much modding support as the others did.

BackFire
Mac Walters tweeted yesterday that they have been in contact with some members of the modding community to make sure the game will have what they need. It sounds like mod support is a priority.

Smasandian
I didn't even know there was modding community!!

-Pr-
Mac Walters tweeted yesterday that they have been in contact with some members of the modding community to make sure the game will have what they need. It sounds like mod support is a priority.

Yeah, that's why I mentiond it. I hope it isn't just talk, and they have some good tools.

I didn't even know there was modding community!!

Oh yeah, nexusmods has tons of stuff for all four games.

Smasandian
I would assume most mods would work with some modifications. I assume they are using the same source files as original games.

-Pr-
I would assume most mods would work with some modifications. I assume they are using the same source files as original games.

For the most part it looks that way, yeah.

KingD19
My issue with them changing Miranda is because she was designed to be extremely beautiful and physically superior. She's a femme fatale who uses her looks to get what she wants. It's literally part of who she is, so showing her ass off is the same as showing Jessica Rabbit's long legs and cleavage

They're editing out stuff like her, and sex scenes and this and that because it's "too raunchy" or "sexist" or whatever, but they won't change the god awful ending despite it being universally panned. Because according to the devs, "No one would really expect us to change something like the ending."

Nearly 12 years and they can't think of anything better?

KingD19
f

cdtm
Why? She's goading you. It's up to you whether to hit her.

==

I do hope, whatever happens, that the games will have at least as much modding support as the others did.

I did hit her. Then I felt bad about it after picking the Paragon option later.

Because it made it clear she wasn't really goading you, she was having a nervous breakdown.

Besides, Shepherd, being an experienced soldier, should be above lashing out like some "Jarhead".

Arachnid1
I did hit her. Then I felt bad about it after picking the Paragon option later.

Because it made it clear she wasn't really goading you, she was having a nervous breakdown.

Besides, Shepherd, being an experienced soldier, should be above lashing out like some "Jarhead". Spoken like a Paragon simp

Renegade Shepard crew checking in

-Pr-
I was a paragon. I still slapped her.

KingD19
I made it a rule to hit her every single game.

I love how in ME3 she avoids your hit and tells you she's been taking martial arts. Then you can just throw another punch and deck her.

Quincy
I don't mind these changes and I don't take them seriously at all.

It's kinda funny watching people on twitter and stuff freak out over that kind of thing.

"less butt, how dare they!"

Like if you're that desperate just whip it out and watch cutscenes on youtube, nerds.

Smasandian
I watched a video about Miranda and the ass shots...and they are worst than I thought.

There is some where she is like hanging out and its a full body shot...and that's OK...

But talking about how her sister is ****ed and it's literally an ass framed perfectly beside Sheppard...it's kind of a brutal. Makes no sense.

Nemesis X
Regardless, the problem of this is wondering what else they will change/censor next 'cause why stop at one thing really.

-Pr-
Regardless, the problem of this is wondering what else they will change/censor next 'cause why stop at one thing really.

That's the worry, isn't it. Of course, the usual suspects will trot out the "incels only care about Miranda's butt in a cutscene" stuff, but what we do know is that this isn't a straight "hd up" of the games. They've made changes. Some of which are obviously positive. So it's a remake, even if it's just a partial one.

Am I supposed to trust that Bioware (and let's be clear, for the most part this isn't the same Bioware that made the original trilogy) just changed that, but not anything else? Really? Sure, they can (and did) trot out a guy that did QA testing on the original ME2 and act like he's somehow as qualified as Casey Hudson to talk about it, but still.

If all they changed was a butt-shot in a cutscene? Great. I hope that's all it is.

Smasandian
Then re-play the originals.

It's a remake..things are going to get changes and they will remove things they don't mention in press releases. Treat them as new games.

Arachnid1
Then re-play the originals.

It's a remake..things are going to get changes and they will remove things they don't mention in press releases. Treat them as new games. Isn't it kind of reductive to just wave away with argument with a "then don't play it"?

Bioware of 2021 messing with a classic like ME sends up all kinds of red flags. It's not crazy to be worried about what else they'll change. These aren't new games, and acting like they shouldn't be compared to the original trilogy besides being nearly the same games doesn't make sense. This isn't a RE2 to RE2make situation. It's not even a RE1 to RE1make situation. Same games. Same code. Just small alterations here and there.

Smasandian
But they are already messing with the game.

The combat system is being completely reworked for ME1. The inventory system is being reworked. The character creation system is being reworked.

Updated graphics and lighting effects will effectively change every gameplay moment in either good or bad ways. There is no class based restrictions for weapons.

AI is being reworked and updated and they are updating boss encounters. The Mako physics system is being remodeled and there is now autoaim for ME1.

But...redoing a few conversation scenes to take out some the pretty shitty and obvious objectifying woman for no reason is a step too far! Don't mess with that! That's a red flag that they are messing with the classic ME.

Arachnid1
But they are already messing with the game.

The combat system is being completely reworked for ME1. The inventory system is being reworked. The character creation system is being reworked.

Updated graphics and lighting effects will effectively change every gameplay moment in either good or bad ways. There is no class based restrictions for weapons.

AI is being reworked and updated and they are updating boss encounters. The Mako physics system is being remodeled and there is now autoaim for ME1.

But...redoing a few conversation scenes to take out some the pretty shitty and obvious objectifying woman for no reason is a step too far! Don't mess with that! That's a red flag that they are messing with the classic ME. You're still being reductive though. Those are all QOL enhancements to ME1, which has aged pretty rough compared to 2+3. You know people aren't talking about some gameplay enhancements (though that could actually cause it's own set of problems).

When you start imposing your own artistic vision on something pre-existing, the entire argument changes. What if they straight up start changing facets of characters? Is Miranda the same if you strip her of her sexual appeal despite the whole femme fatale thing being her entire schtick? What if they decide they don't like Ashley's anti-alien sentiments being in the game due their own personal taste or the current climate? Ashley is a deeply flawed character. IMO it wouldn't be a complete stretch to consider her somewhat of a racist (maybe not to the point of Cerberus, but she's said some sketchy stuff). That's part of her character nuance. You take that away and she has no real flaws. Just generic, capable love interest #3. Where do the changes end? Is it really just a camera angle?

Smasandian
Miranda's ass shots in scenes that it serves no purpose are just as "aged" as the gameplay.

Bioware created the series and if they think it's a good idea to modify certain elements of the dialogue scenes due to the new cultural norms then they have right to do so.

I also don't see how QoL enhancements for gameplay, which could change ME1 in a much different way is seen to be OK but removing certain camera shots is considered a slippery slope. My only though for most people is that they are just pissed they do not get to some fake polygon butts.

-Pr-
Miranda's ass shots in scenes that it serves no purpose are just as "aged" as the gameplay.

Bioware created the series and if they think it's a good idea to modify certain elements of the dialogue scenes due to the new cultural norms then they have right to do so.

I also don't see how QoL enhancements for gameplay, which could change ME1 in a much different way is seen to be OK but removing certain camera shots is considered a slippery slope. My only though for most people is that they are just pissed they do not get to some fake polygon butts.

It did serve a purpose though. You can think it doesn't, and that's fine, but it did to the creators when they made the game. You can disagree with that. I can disagree with that. But saying "it serves no purpose" isn't true.

KingD19
I can think of two obvious purposes it served. One might have been to keep people more enticed. Sex sells as much as people hate to realize that, and Miranda is sexy. Which leads to my second point. In game, in universe, Miranda is a genetically modified "superior" human. She's the strongest human biotic around aside from Jack who was basically tortured into becoming an uber biotic. And Shepard, but he's only gameplay wise as he is canonically a soldier in all 3 games. She herself mentions how she was designed to be perfect and uses her allure to help her in her goals. So you've got a marketing reason, and an in game reason right there.

As much as I like looking at her butt, it being removed wouldn't hurt me, but I would notice the absence since I've played each game at least a dozen times a piece.

My issue is that they're bending over backward to make the game more PC, but are just fine with leaving a dog sh*t, lazy, lie of an ending. They're also fine with leaving stuff out that should've been in the first time around.

Why is Shepard always a soldier for example? My Shepard is a biotic through and through, yet in every cutscene and every paragon/renegade action or even violent action from 2 on, he forgets that. I shouldn't have to watch him beating his rifle on a piece of reinforced glass, because my Shepard could just obliterate it with a force push. I don't need to punch people if I don't want to. I can hold them in the air and threaten to flay them with my mind. Etc... A tech Shepard should be able to take the lead on hacking or opening doors in cutscenes. And you can't say it wouldn't work, as from Dragon Age: Origins you get different reactions, actions, and cutscenes if you're a mage, rogue, or warrior.

They're so focused on making sure people won't complain about the new games, that they're ignoring all the complaints that never went away.

cdtm
Originally posted by KingD19
I can think of two obvious purposes it served. One might have been to keep people more enticed. Sex sells as much as people hate to realize that, and Miranda is sexy. Which leads to my second point. In game, in universe, Miranda is a genetically modified "superior" human. She's the strongest human biotic around aside from Jack who was basically tortured into becoming an uber biotic. And Shepard, but he's only gameplay wise as he is canonically a soldier in all 3 games. She herself mentions how she was designed to be perfect and uses her allure to help her in her goals. So you've got a marketing reason, and an in game reason right there.

As much as I like looking at her butt, it being removed wouldn't hurt me, but I would notice the absence since I've played each game at least a dozen times a piece.

My issue is that they're bending over backward to make the game more PC, but are just fine with leaving a dog sh*t, lazy, lie of an ending. They're also fine with leaving stuff out that should've been in the first time around.

Why is Shepard always a soldier for example? My Shepard is a biotic through and through, yet in every cutscene and every paragon/renegade action or even violent action from 2 on, he forgets that. I shouldn't have to watch him beating his rifle on a piece of reinforced glass, because my Shepard could just obliterate it with a force push. I don't need to punch people if I don't want to. I can hold them in the air and threaten to flay them with my mind. Etc... A tech Shepard should be able to take the lead on hacking or opening doors in cutscenes. And you can't say it wouldn't work, as from Dragon Age: Origins you get different reactions, actions, and cutscenes if you're a mage, rogue, or warrior.

They're so focused on making sure people won't complain about the new games, that they're ignoring all the complaints that never went away.

This exactly.

Plenty of opportunities to fix stuff. The fact they don't even want to try, proves fixing the game isn't a priority. Scrubbing it of anything that can even remotely offend someone is.

Nemesis X
Not to mention anything they alter, deeming impure, is giving a middle finger to the actual creators who stood & fought against the bullsh*t they had to put up with from outlets like Fox News in 2007 and now it's possible Fox News may get it's way 13 years later in this new version of ME1 to appease the whiny @$$ percentage that I bet won't even buy the game.

cdtm
Not to mention anything they alter, deeming impure, is giving a middle finger to the actual creators who stood & fought against the bullsh*t they had to put up with from outlets like Fox News in 2007 and now it's possible Fox News may get it's way 13 years later in this new version of ME1 to appease the whiny @$$ percentage that I bet won't even buy the game.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Its tin foil hat fodder for the "Two party face, one party heart" conspiracy.

I mean, like you said, the censorship happens to be exactly what the Right wanted. The reasons may be different, but you can't deny the results.

BackFire
This exactly.

Plenty of opportunities to fix stuff. The fact they don't even want to try, proves fixing the game isn't a priority. Scrubbing it of anything that can even remotely offend someone is.

They are fixing other more important things, though. Mac Walters also said they're fixing the morality system in ME2 to be like the other games, and to be less strict about requiring a very high paragon or renegade reputation to make certain choices.

-Pr-
They are fixing other more important things, though. Mac Walters also said they're fixing the morality system in ME2 to be like the other games, and to be less strict about requiring a very high paragon or renegade reputation to make certain choices.

That just strengthens my belief that this remake is gonna be a mixed bag for me. I can see there being things in it that I really like, but at the same time things I really don't. I don't really trust modern Bioware, but I'm always open to being proven wrong.

BackFire
That just strengthens my belief that this remake is gonna be a mixed bag for me. I can see there being things in it that I really like, but at the same time things I really don't. I don't really trust modern Bioware, but I'm always open to being proven wrong.

Well most of the changes are very minor things. I've read some people don't like the new style of some of the planets, and that's understandable, but everything else seems so small that most people wouldn't even notice it if they hadn't been forthcoming about it and mentioned it prior to release.

Like for me I'm happy with the improved graphics, framerate, controsl and qol changes that they're doing in the first game. The changes to the other games sound so small that it won't really matter too much.

-Pr-
Well most of the changes are very minor things. I've read some people don't like the new style of some of the planets, and that's understandable, but everything else seems so small that most people wouldn't even notice it if they hadn't been forthcoming about it and mentioned it prior to release.

Like for me I'm happy with the improved graphics, framerate, controsl and qol changes that they're doing in the first game. The changes to the other games sound so small that it won't really matter too much.

Hopefully not.

I am going to admit I am a bit biased; I play on PC, and naturally, that means I've played a modded Mass Effect 1. I'm not going to be as impressed as someone who, say, only ever played on console. I do love the series though, so as long as they haven't ****ed anything too hard, I'll likely buy the trilogy (and this'll be my third time doing it lol).

Nemesis X
Should it be a little concerning there hasn't been any gameplay previews? May isn't exactly that far away.

Smasandian
Maybe...but it is just Mass Effect with better graphics...but nothing too earth shattering.

Nemesis X
Maybe...but it is just Mass Effect with better graphics...but nothing too earth shattering.

You mean besides the changes ME1 is getting?

-Pr-
Yeah, a 20 or so minute ME1 demo on IGN wouldn't hurt at this point.

Smasandian
It wouldn't hurt and I assume they will be on closer to release date...I would be more worried a new game is not showing anything at this moment but a remastered...even if the combat changes are not as big as we believe, it's still Mass Effect.

cdtm
You mean besides the changes ME1 is getting?

Loses the charm.

Like the voice tracks in the original System Shock.

Nemesis X
I'm getting the funny feeling that with no preview still in sight for this, all these attempts at "news" recapping what we already know about a decade old game trilogy is just made to distract from how buggy it might get on launch or something because holy **** we're a month & ten days away before it reaches shelves. Show gameplay already.

Smasandian
Why does it matter? Just wait to buy after people get their hands on it. You should be doing that anyways.

And...even if they show gameplay, it doesn't mean its not buggy at launch anyways.

Nemesis X
Why does it matter? Just wait to buy after people get their hands on it. You should be doing that anyways.

And...even if they show gameplay, it doesn't mean its not buggy at launch anyways.

To not even have gameplay with thousands of fans still salivating shows the problem with hyper consumerism.

Smasandian
Then that's their own problems.

I assume they will show gameplay soon...or they will delay it.

-Pr-
Yeah, I'm not touching the PC version until I see how the port runs. I've been burned too many times by terrible ports.

Smasandian
I don't think they changed engines....so I wouldn't think there would major issues (assuming there wasn't any on the original PC ports)...

-Pr-
I don't think they changed engines....so I wouldn't think there would major issues (assuming there wasn't any on the original PC ports)...

That I can recall, games like DA and ME ran fine, though there were some CPU issues with certain models.

The likelihood is that you're probably right. The game will probably run fine. I'm still wary though. Too many times have I thought to myself "they won't **** it up" only to be proven wrong.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

BackFire
Probably going to get delayed.

Smasandian
I believe so as well.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>