The Callisto Protocol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
gjLkhFSWfaU

From the creators of Dead Space. Hell ya.

Smasandian
Yeah...Very interested.

There was a deep dive from Ars Technica regarding the creation of Dead Space (the dude who started this company)...and it was very interesting. All the great things about Dead Space were part of the their vision from the beginning.

I'm hoping this is the case for this game...and man...the lightening systems the new systems can do should make this game amazing. I would love the see some gameplay.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah...Very interested.

There was a deep dive from Ars Technica regarding the creation of Dead Space (the dude who started this company)...and it was very interesting. All the great things about Dead Space were part of the their vision from the beginning.

I'm hoping this is the case for this game...and man...the lightening systems the new systems can do should make this game amazing. I would love the see some gameplay. Any chance you have a link to that article/video? I'd love to learn more about Dead Space's development. The first game is IMO one of the best horror games ever made so it'd be cool to see what went into it.

Also, weird little detail for this game: it takes place in the same universe as PUBG, but centuries into the future. This game is confirmed to be a single player survival horror experience, so I have no idea what that little connection could possibly mean. It cant add anything of significance. PUBG has no story. It doesn't contribute setting in any way since this game doesn't even take place on earth. What's the point?

EDIT:

So he had this game in mind prior to the PUBG connection, but his bosses basically forced the connection to let this game see light? It looks like it literally just served to get the game dev resources lol. Also, REALLY good to hear that so many from Visceral are back together in a new studio working on this game.

Smasandian
Yeah sure..it wasn't complete deep dive...but a piece about a specific scene that had overall implications on the game itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3iqq49Ew8

Kind of like how Ridley Scott fought Fox and producers about the Spaceman scene in Alien...where you see how large the ship is...supposedly they didn't want to do that scene based on how expensive it would but Scott was adament on how important it would be. He was right of course..

Yeah I would agree about PUBG connection...but in the end, it doesn't really matter considering PUBG has little to no story. Though, I think I would prefer this game to be an complete original universe but well..as long as the game is good.

Arachnid1
iGQTa16PqjE

Jmanghan
thought this was gonna be dead space 4 tbh.

Nemesis X
With Callisto Protocol and the Dead Space remake releasing a month apart, wonder how that'll go down: your own game versus the IP you created.

Arachnid1
5XEc18jMIok

DvNtUzSMKeE

Love the new melee weapon and Last of Us 2 style dodge

Smasandian
Haha....it does pretty much identical to Dead Space.

Which isn't a bad thing. Both Dead Space remake and this game can co-exist peacefully! It's not every day you get a game like this.

Arachnid1
I just beat it. Overall, extremely disappointed. I played through on hard for my first run if that matters.

--Too much focus on melee. They should have focused more on shooting mechanics. The melee is fun and visceral the first 10 times. The following 90 times, not so much. The melee system itself was busted and made 70% of the game waaaay too easy. It got to the point where I was selling most of my health injections and GRP energy. They had no use. The only section that gave me difficulty was the final boss who killed me 5 times. Up to that point, I think I died maybe 6 times the whole game, and usually through my own idiotic mess up. On hard.
--Extreme lack of bosses. There's really just one and then a miniboss you fight a few times. The miniboss is a joke mechanically. Just dodge a single attack and unload your shotgun. Rinse and repeat until he dies (this was exactly the same as the final and only boss btw). They tried to mix it up by throwing in a regular enemy with him 2/4 times you fight him, but that enemy dies instantly to environmental hazards or a single shotgun blast. May as well not be there.
--Complete lack of enemy variety. Mostly humanoid zombies with the same exact look that swing at you. No real imagination here. Boring enemy design throughout. I thought the mutations would make this more interesting, like if you damage them a certain way, they mutate into a different kind of monstrosity for you to adapt to. The devs stated this is how it works in an interview. It's not. They mutate into the same tentacle armed enemy every time. The mutation system was one of the most hyped elements for this game, and this is one of my biggest areas of disappointment.
--Extremely linear throughout. I like linear games, but not when there are just corridors through 95% of the game. Dead Space and RE4 do this right. Mostly linear but the combat sections have these fun little arenas where you can run around and frantically plan/execute your plan of attack on the fly. This game had none of that moment to moment decision making that makes an experience tense/scary. Just constant melee combos until the last two chapters. At that point, enemies are upgraded with way more health and some 1-2 hit kill attacks. I mean normal enemies you used to murder. There is no difference to aesthetically. Just a health bar and damage upgrade.
--It isn't scary at all. They use the same jump scares like 10 times each (a face hugger rip off pops out of a chest/locker and you QTE; a face attached to a sac on the ground pops up to latch onto your neck to start pulling you through it and you QTE; a boring humanoid enemy pops out from a vent or from behind a door and you do your usual melee combo). The atmosphere could have made up for it, but the enemy encounters being so boring ruined that. No point in really fearing what's around the next corner.
--The deaf enemies you stealth around were bare bones. I thought they'd hear me if I kicked a can on the ground or something, but they are deaf to everything except Jacob walking/running. You can do a brutal takedown to an enemy 2 feet from them or GRP an enemy into a spiked wall to impale them or blow up a group with an explosive cannister, and they wont hear A THING. This guys are great value clickers. They don't even deserve to be compared to clickers. Worse case scenario, you get into combat with them, and they fight/mutate like the humanoid zombies you fought all game. This section felt like half the game, and walking around poking them one by one was boring as shit since they were so braindead to any form of noise.
--The story was non-existent, and what was there was extremely predictable. I didn't care for the main character at all. Dead Space isn't a benchmark for story, but at least I actually cared about Isaac and empathized with his search for his wife.
-Waaaay too many slow down sections. By that, I mean sections where you crawl through a vent, crouch under some debris, and squeeze through a narrow opening. This was CONSTANT. I felt like that in just the first few chapters, and it just kept happening.
--I like the art/enviornmental design, but 90% of it was ripped straight out of Dead Space. The cruel metal interiors, the fleshy wall sections, the dark caves, the green biome used for O2 generation ship wide, (etc...). There was nothing new here, and Dead Space did all of the above better while still having more ways to switch it up. There was even a cave section where you rode on an underground drill as you fought off waves of enemies. This was lifted straight out of Dead Space, no shame.

Overall, this ended up a 5-6/10 for me. They should have put all that graphics and marketing money towards better gameplay systems with more depth. I don't see myself replaying this one. I can't think of a single third person horror game I haven't replayed other than RE6. I was so damn hyped for this one. Oh well. At least I still have the Dead Space and RE4 remakes on the way.

Nemesis X
https://twitter.com/SophiaNarwitz/status/1598840519140200449?t=pTLWKuwTDV257tS6EpWrsQ&s=19

There's no way this is legal to enforce. You fall through a map or an enemy gets stuck then what? You get banned? haermm

Adam Grimes
Yeah, this sucked big time. What a shame.

cdtm
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I just beat it. Overall, extremely disappointed. I played through on hard for my first run if that matters.

--Too much focus on melee. They should have focused more on shooting mechanics. The melee is fun and visceral the first 10 times. The following 90 times, not so much. The melee system itself was busted and made 70% of the game waaaay too easy. It got to the point where I was selling most of my health injections and GRP energy. They had no use. The only section that gave me difficulty was the final boss who killed me 5 times. Up to that point, I think I died maybe 6 times the whole game, and usually through my own idiotic mess up. On hard.
--Extreme lack of bosses. There's really just one and then a miniboss you fight a few times. The miniboss is a joke mechanically. Just dodge a single attack and unload your shotgun. Rinse and repeat until he dies (this was exactly the same as the final and only boss btw). They tried to mix it up by throwing in a regular enemy with him 2/4 times you fight him, but that enemy dies instantly to environmental hazards or a single shotgun blast. May as well not be there.
--Complete lack of enemy variety. Mostly humanoid zombies with the same exact look that swing at you. No real imagination here. Boring enemy design throughout. I thought the mutations would make this more interesting, like if you damage them a certain way, they mutate into a different kind of monstrosity for you to adapt to. The devs stated this is how it works in an interview. It's not. They mutate into the same tentacle armed enemy every time. The mutation system was one of the most hyped elements for this game, and this is one of my biggest areas of disappointment.
--Extremely linear throughout. I like linear games, but not when there are just corridors through 95% of the game. Dead Space and RE4 do this right. Mostly linear but the combat sections have these fun little arenas where you can run around and frantically plan/execute your plan of attack on the fly. This game had none of that moment to moment decision making that makes an experience tense/scary. Just constant melee combos until the last two chapters. At that point, enemies are upgraded with way more health and some 1-2 hit kill attacks. I mean normal enemies you used to murder. There is no difference to aesthetically. Just a health bar and damage upgrade.
--It isn't scary at all. They use the same jump scares like 10 times each (a face hugger rip off pops out of a chest/locker and you QTE; a face attached to a sac on the ground pops up to latch onto your neck to start pulling you through it and you QTE; a boring humanoid enemy pops out from a vent or from behind a door and you do your usual melee combo). The atmosphere could have made up for it, but the enemy encounters being so boring ruined that. No point in really fearing what's around the next corner.
--The deaf enemies you stealth around were bare bones. I thought they'd hear me if I kicked a can on the ground or something, but they are deaf to everything except Jacob walking/running. You can do a brutal takedown to an enemy 2 feet from them or GRP an enemy into a spiked wall to impale them or blow up a group with an explosive cannister, and they wont hear A THING. This guys are great value clickers. They don't even deserve to be compared to clickers. Worse case scenario, you get into combat with them, and they fight/mutate like the humanoid zombies you fought all game. This section felt like half the game, and walking around poking them one by one was boring as shit since they were so braindead to any form of noise.
--The story was non-existent, and what was there was extremely predictable. I didn't care for the main character at all. Dead Space isn't a benchmark for story, but at least I actually cared about Isaac and empathized with his search for his wife.
-Waaaay too many slow down sections. By that, I mean sections where you crawl through a vent, crouch under some debris, and squeeze through a narrow opening. This was CONSTANT. I felt like that in just the first few chapters, and it just kept happening.
--I like the art/enviornmental design, but 90% of it was ripped straight out of Dead Space. The cruel metal interiors, the fleshy wall sections, the dark caves, the green biome used for O2 generation ship wide, (etc...). There was nothing new here, and Dead Space did all of the above better while still having more ways to switch it up. There was even a cave section where you rode on an underground drill as you fought off waves of enemies. This was lifted straight out of Dead Space, no shame.

Overall, this ended up a 5-6/10 for me. They should have put all that graphics and marketing money towards better gameplay systems with more depth. I don't see myself replaying this one. I can't think of a single third person horror game I haven't replayed other than RE6. I was so damn hyped for this one. Oh well. At least I still have the Dead Space and RE4 remakes on the way.

Sound deafness was a complaint in Alien Isolation as well, if you knock over or throw an object it won't even notice, but will hear you running.

If a big company can't nail that down, a small indy not implementing realistic sound based tracking in blind enemies is forgiveable.

Jaden_3.0
This and Forspoken were the only 2 games I was looking forward to. Now this is meant to be shite and Forspoken no longer looks anywhere near as good as it's first demos.

At least I'll get a free Witcher III upgrade soon.

BackFire
Yeah disappointed to hear about this game's issues. Was hoping it would be good. May still pick it up when it goes on sale in the future, but I dunno.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.