Obi-Wan Kenobi - The Series

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
Details are scarce atm, but what we do know is this:

-Ewan McGregor returning to play Obi-Wan (obviously).
-Set 10 years after Revenge of the Sith.
-Series will be directed by Deborah Chow, who previously worked on The Mandalorian.
-Hayden Christensen has signed on again, but to my surprise (and possible disappointment) they state that he's playing Vader, as opposed to Anakin.
-Ewan McGregor said previously that shooting would start in March 2021, but who knows if Covid will push that back. If it doesn't, the plan is to release in 2022.

There were rumours a while back that the show would have McGregor, Christensen and Temuera Morrison, and would have a bunch of flashbacks to the Clone Wars. Instead, with Hayden being Vader and Kathleen Kennedy explicitly using the word "rematch", who knows what kind of ****ery we're gonna see. Still, fingers crossed.

Eli Vanto
Ya that's what I'm curious about. Kennedy said it will be the "rematch of the century". So does that mean Vader and Obi-wan are going to fight in this? confused

Darth Thor
They are definitely fighting. That statement outright confirms it. Honestly I knew Disney wouldnt be able to resist that.

Im sure Hayden will be used for flashbacks as well, rather than the odd image where we see Vaders deformed face under the mask.

Galan007
If they actually fight one another in this show, it would cheapen their confrontation in ANH tremendously for me. Moreover, Vader's dialogue(ie. "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the Master"wink becomes completely nonsensical. It would also retcon other canon supplementary material(like From A Certain POV and various guidebooks), which state that Vader and Kenobi only fought twice: during RotS and during ANH. So hopefully the "rematch of the century" blurb is just a red herring to help hype the show, and not literal.

Or perhaps the "rematch" could refer to Kenobi/Vader engaging in a battle of wits from afar, and/or some sort of 'meta' confrontation(ie. through visions in the Force)... Which I'd be a lot more comfortable with.

This is only supposed to be a 6 episode limited series, so hopefully it won't be centered entirely around the Kenobi/Vader dynamic(I'd like something new), but we'll see. Hell, it would actually be a good time to introduce live action Inquisitors, or a live action Thrawn, or even someone entirely new(like A'Sharad Hett, for example.) /shrug

ares834
Vader fighting Obi-Wan would be terrible. But it's the exact kinda garbage that I'd expect from Disney.

Darth Thor

Galan007
I wouldn't be surprised. I'd just be... Disappointed. ermm

-Pr-
Originally posted by Galan007
I wouldn't be surprised. I'd just be... Disappointed. ermm

Yeah, exactly.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Bentley
I hope Kenobi decapitates Vader since that's how much we are respecting canon

laughing

samhain
If it's set after ROTS, then I'm not surprised he's playing Vader and not Anakin, he'd ceased to be Anakin at that point.

I think a straight fight between OB1 and Vader would be disrespectful to the fanbase, a TK battle along the lines of Gandalf Vs Saruman in Fellowship could be okay I guess. Or the two of them could be separated by one of those red electrical barrier things (like Kenobi Vs Maul in TPM) and they wind up tearing the ship they are both on apart meaning they both have to flee.

Robtard
"Set 10 years after Revenge of the Sith."

That will work with the aging, especially with Ewan's natural youthful appearance.

I agree with everyone who said they should not have Obi and Vader facing off. Would take a massive dump on continuity of eps 1-6. Have Vader in this though.

Surtur
I'm indifferent to this show, we shall see.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Robtard
"Set 10 years after Revenge of the Sith."

That will work with the aging, especially with Ewan's natural youthful appearance.

I agree with everyone who said they should not have Obi and Vader facing off. Would take a massive dump on continuity of eps 1-6. Have Vader in this though.

Someone brought up the idea of a telepathic fight. Kind of like fighting in the Astral Plane. That could actually explain bringing Hayden back. I mean its not like they need Hayden in the suit.

But in all probability I doubt Disney will resist a full on Kenobi vs Vader rematch.

Surtur
hopefully the series explains why he didnt just kill anakin when he had the chance

u dont leave f*cking evil space jesus alive and just assume his injuries will eventually kill him.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Surtur
hopefully the series explains why he didnt just kill anakin when he had the chance

u dont leave f*cking evil space jesus alive and just assume his injuries will eventually kill him.

Dont think Jedi are supposed to attack defenceless opponents. Hence why Anakin knew he should not have killed Dooku.

That said, leaving him to burn was pretty sadistic.

Originally posted by Surtur
I'm indifferent to this show, we shall see.

Theres honestly no need for it.

I appreciate giving the prequels some love now, but I feel like Disney is still missing the point of what fans want.

New stuff. But without f***ing up the old stuff.

For this time period a Quinlan Vos show would have been perfect IMO.

-Pr-
I always had the impression that Obi-Wan thought Anakin was gonna die anyway. He'd cut him to pieces, and left him on the bank of a river of lava. That, and it's easy to do something in the heat of the moment. Walking over and just stabbing him in the head would have been pretty macabre imo.

Not that it was a good decision, mind you. Just saying I think it's understandable.

Surtur
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Dont think Jedi are supposed to attack defenceless opponents. Hence why Anakin knew he should not have killed Dooku.

That said, leaving him to burn was pretty sadistic.

Theres honestly no need for it.

I appreciate giving the prequels some love now, but I feel like Disney is still missing the point of what fans want.

New stuff. But without f***ing up the old stuff.

For this time period a Quinlan Vos show would have been perfect IMO.

Jedi are also supposed to show compassion. He could have ended his suffering or tried to help him.

I want a show set during the old republic. Show Revan or Exar Kun.

Galan007
In Legends, it was implied that Kenobi didn't finish the job because he sensed Palpatine's imminent arrival on Mustafar, and basically had to flee asap.

Robtard
Someone brought up the idea of a telepathic fight. Kind of like fighting in the Astral Plane. That could actually explain bringing Hayden back. I mean its not like they need Hayden in the suit.

But in all probability I doubt Disney will resist a full on Kenobi vs Vader rematch.

Yeah, not sure I'd want that either.

Robtard
In Legends, it was implied that Kenobi didn't finish the job because he sensed Palpatine's imminent arrival on Mustafar, and basically had to flee asap.

Sounds like a "but Greedo shot first!" after the fact, as it's understandable that Obi still loved Anakin and couldn't finish the job, but it was also outright cruel to leave him to a slow burning death.

Darth Thor
Yeah, not sure I'd want that either.

Honestly I dont even want a Kenobi show. Literally no need for one.

Robtard
Honestly I dont even want a Kenobi show. Literally no need for one.

Eh, there's a bunch of history/time between the end of Ep3 and beginning of Ep4, if they do it right, they can entertain without shitting on continuity and Ewan was a wonderful Obi. So I'm looking forward to it.

carthage
Kenobis development on Tattooine and protecting Luke interests me way more than anything he did in TCW

samhain
I'm looking forward to the episode where he forgets all about R2-D2. And the one where he forgets about Qui-Gon. Perhaps that'll be in the same episode.

Surtur

He literally just needed to flick his wrist so he went into the lava. He could have done it while running.

Surtur
Originally posted by samhain
I'm looking forward to the episode where he forgets all about R2-D2. And the one where he forgets about Qui-Gon. Perhaps that'll be in the same episode.

And where Qui Gon explains why he learned the secret to immortality and never told him.

Darth Thor
Eh, there's a bunch of history/time between the end of Ep3 and beginning of Ep4, if they do it right, they can entertain without shitting on continuity and Ewan was a wonderful Obi. So I'm looking forward to it.

Hes a great Obi. I just dont think theres a need for this show. Theres lots of other characters to explore, lots more interesting stories to tell.

And was always going to be difficult making an entertaining show with him just hanging out on Tatooine. So screwing up continuity kind of came with the territory here methinks.

Im looking forward to how no one will be able to call him Obi-Wan.

Surtur
Han Solo was always kind of an a-hole to ol' Ben Kenobi.

So of course he named his evil kid after him.

"He's evil"

"I know"

samhain
And was always going to be difficult making an entertaining show with him just hanging out on Tatooine. So screwing up continuity kind of came with the territory here methinks.

Im looking forward to how no one will be able to call him Obi-Wan.

They don't really have to keep him on Tatooine all the time, there's nothing to stop him going off to prevent Imperial forces getting back to the Emperor with info on Luke's existence, taking him away from Tatooine for what could be whole story arcs on their own.

My God yes, I forgot about his genius decision to change his name to Ben, they should explain that too, along with how it was enough to evade Imperial detection for 19 years.

Surtur
who even gave ben his obi wan name why wasn't his original name good enough?

Zenwolf
They don't really have to keep him on Tatooine all the time, there's nothing to stop him going off to prevent Imperial forces getting back to the Emperor with info on Luke's existence, taking him away from Tatooine for what could be whole story arcs on their own.

Why or how would they know Luke's importance? They don't even know his name.

samhain
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Why or how would they know Luke's importance? They don't even know his name.

That was an off hand example, just saying that it's not too difficult to come up with reasons for OB1 leaving Tatooine. It's not a challenging hurdle IMO.

Darth Thor
That was an off hand example, just saying that it's not too difficult to come up with reasons for OB1 leaving Tatooine. It's not a challenging hurdle IMO.

Point is Its risking messing with canon for no reason.

Theres simply no real need for this show IMHO. Its attempted fan service because people like Ewans Obi. Vader being in this is all the proof we need its intent is fan service.

And its not like we dont already have plenty of Obi-Wan in canon.

Surtur
It feels like they are overloading us with Star Wars shows and movies. Which shows that no matter what too much of a good thing can be bad.

In addition to these tv shows I have no doubt Disney is scheming up another trilogy because why wouldn't they? They're more or less guaranteed to make at least a billion on each movie.

BruceSkywalker
I hope somehow A'Sharad Hett is in this

samhain
Point is Its risking messing with canon for no reason.

Theres simply no real need for this show IMHO. Its attempted fan service because people like Ewans Obi. Vader being in this is all the proof we need its intent is fan service.

And its not like we dont already have plenty of Obi-Wan in canon.

Don't disagree with anything you are saying, nor did I, literally just making the point that it won't take a team of Shakespeare clones to come up with a reason to leave Tatooine for an episode here or an episode there.

Darth Thor
Don't disagree with anything you are saying, nor did I, literally just making the point that it won't take a team of Shakespeare clones to come up with a reason to leave Tatooine for an episode here or an episode there.

Yeah true.

Total Warrior
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1376534672843239435?s=21

The cast has been revealed in this tweet.

Galan007
Some teaser artwork that was recently released:

https://i.ibb.co/Y3NzxHf/1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/5K4HX4s/2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/PYMs59z/5.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/HBKLhBY/3.jpg

StiltmanFTW
OMG.

Can't say I'm not excited for this.

Galan007
thumb up

And here's the little teaser trailer that was released on Disney+:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D62UfAOklCc

Sheev
So judging by that concept art along with Ewan's comment in the trailer ("we'll have another swing at each other, it might be quite satisfying for everybody...."wink it definitely sounds like Kenobi and Vader are going to fight in this. Not sure how I feel about that, but still possible that it might not be a physical battle I suppose.

Also looks like live action Inquisitors will definitely be introduced also.

Definitely looking forward to it. big grin

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Sheev
So judging by that concept art along with Ewan's comment in the trailer ("we'll have another swing at each other, it might be quite satisfying for everybody...."wink it definitely sounds like Kenobi and Vader are going to fight in this.

To be fair even though canon junkies like us will get irritated by this, your average fan or casual viewer might get annoyed if this didnt happen.

I just hope they keep the power level as Vader > Kenobi.

ares834
Who the hell cares what the ignorant think? Keep shit consistent.

But considering how Disney has treated SW so far, I've no clue we will get some shitty fight. Who cares about story telling when it gets in the way of money am i rite?

ares834
No doubt... No doubt. Not no clue. I need to go back to sleep.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by ares834
Who the hell cares what the ignorant think? Keep shit consistent.

I dont. But Disney will, which was my point.

Personally I dont even think there was a need for an Obi-Wan show.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Sheev
but still possible that it might not be a physical battle I suppose.

You know, as much as I doubt it, I guess it is possible. I just thought of that TCW S6 finale trailer when we saw Yoda fight Sidious.

And would also explain how Hayden is playing Vader.

Total Warrior
Don't worry, they can still keep it consistent. If i recall correctly, Vader said something like "Last time you were the master and i was the learner.. now I am the master". They ccan still easily make it look like Obi Wan is still wiser and more balanced than Vader in this series, thus making that statement still true

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Don't worry, they can still keep it consistent. If i recall correctly, Vader said something like "Last time you were the master and i was the learner.. now I am the master". They ccan still easily make it look like Obi Wan is still wiser and more balanced than Vader in this series, thus making that statement still true

That wasn't the Last Time they met. It was "When I left you" IIRC

Anyway it wouldn't be an outright contradiction to anything. It's not like anyone ever stated the last time they met was on Mustafa. It's just not a wise path to go down, and takes away from the ANH line of "A presence I haven't felt since...." (walks away)

Robtard
You sure?

I thought it was set lore that at their battle in ANH, that was the first time they've seen each other since Mustafar, or 19-20ish years.

ares834
It is. Here is Vader's full quote BTW:

"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

There is no twisting this to suggest they fought since their duel at Mustafar. Vader's "the circle is now complete" pretty clearly shows that this is they first time they've met since Vader "left" Obi-wan.

Darth Thor
You sure?

I thought it was set lore that at their battle in ANH, that was the first time they've seen each other since Mustafar, or 19-20ish years.

Thats probably been mentioned in source books a few times, but those usually gets ignored.

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

Darth Thor will shit himself when he sees Obi assraping Vader again.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Darth Thor will shit himself when he sees Obi assraping Vader again.

Will probably be a stalemate, but even that's annoying.

But the line "The circle is now complete.... Now I am The Master" doesn't really leave much room for Vader to have ever ass raped Obi-Wan before facepalm

F*** Obi-Wan.

Galan007
You sure?

I thought it was set lore that at their battle in ANH, that was the first time they've seen each other since Mustafar, or 19-20ish years. Aside from Vader's statement in the film itself(which is relatively cut and dry, imo), a few guidebooks and novelizations have also stated, quite explicitly, that Kenobi and Vader fought exactly two times: during RotS, and during ANH.

So if Disney gave a shit about adhering to their own canon, then there wouldn't be a proper battle between them in this series -- it would be some sort of 'meta' sequence, wherein they fight one another through the Force or somesuch.

This type of 'battle' has already happened in canon, so Disney *could* do it that way... Though I have my doubts that they *will* do it that way.

StiltmanFTW
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7d/2b/86/7d2b866716a0d7fe4555a2c00fd7c060.gif

Galan007
Anakin's line in RotS always came off like more of an arrogant/boastful claim, imo(like AotC Anakin telling Kenobi that he already rivaled Yoda in sabers.) Whereas Vader's line in ANH always seemed like a statement of fact:

"We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

This series is set a decade after RotS... So if they do engage in an actual battle, then it renders the above dialogue completely nonsensical.

Total Warrior
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7d/2b/86/7d2b866716a0d7fe4555a2c00fd7c060.gif Technically the last time they fought it was in Dark Disciple, a few months/weeks before Rots

Blakemore
Oh be one Ken-no-be.

What a stupid name.

Darth Thor
Anakin's line in RotS always came off like more of an arrogant/boastful claim, imo(like AotC Anakin telling Kenobi that he already rivaled Yoda in sabers.) Whereas Vader's line in ANH always seemed like a statement of fact:

"We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

This series is set a decade after RotS... So if they do engage in an actual battle, then it renders the above dialogue completely nonsensical.

Anakins line in ROTS does end up being nonesense. Initially it clearly was referring to their AOTC encounter.

And there are other contradictions the prequels brought to the table.

But Vaders line is just such a classic one, would really seem wrong to screw that one up.

Darth Thor

"There's a hunger for this character to come back. The fans have been waiting long enough."

Urm not really, given the fans saw all of TCW.

Tzeentch
TCW was dogshit though.

Blakemore
We all know this is going to be Ewan McGregor fighting Robot-legs Maul.

Total Warrior

Blakemore

Darth Thor
First trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTfhyvzTx0

?v=TWTfhyvzTx0

Darth Thor
Looks good actually. Giving it a prequel vibe.

Not sure all the Inquisitors are translating well onto the big screen though. But then Cad Bane also looked a little off to me.

Description states he's broken at this point, so that could justify Inquisitors challenging him. But what's gonna ruin it is going from them onto Vader as the final boss.

carthage
the Inquisitors are doomed zero chance at all against Ben, lol

ares834
Those Inquisitors are laughably bad.... Holy shit. I don't know how you could **** up that bad. And it's not like they haven't done live action Pau'an well before...

Darth Thor
First image of Vader:

https://ew.com/tv/darth-vader-obi-wan-kenobi-hayden-christensen-exclusive-photo/

Christenson says we are going to see a very powerful Vader.

Which we already know from canon he should be. But we also know from original movie canon that he shouldnt meet Obi-Wan if hes already The Master facepalm

Blakemore
stupid ass hole george lucas shoehorned haydn christiansen into darth vader in the most rushed out way and now disney are trying to make money from it by implying some kind of story that we can't see because it might offend some people.

Galan007
Overall, I enjoyed the trailer.

The Inquisitors, though? Yikes. ermm

juggernaut74
Time-line wise this is before Rebels correct?

So we know the Grand Inquisitor and Fifth Brother survive.

xPRIMEx
Grand inquisitor looks terrible but other than that the trailer looks great

Darth Thor

StiltmanFTW
https://i.ibb.co/VJ1Qd2V/FB-IMG-16470874703048177.jpg

Blakemore
So now Obi-wan is ruined too.

Brilliant!

Galan007
I don't think Kenobi will be ruined in this series at all. I actually think that Ewan will do a great job fleshing out the character even more.

That said, there are definitely still elements to this series that I'm not thrilled about, to say the least.

Darth Thor
I think love or hate the prequels, most enjoyed the performances of Ewan, Ian and Chris Lee.

So can understand why they are making this, with Ewan still being around and about the right age.

With Hayden as well, they gotta have flashbacks to Clone Wars. Would be a wasted opportunity if they don't IMO.

The main issue is the Vader vs Obi-Wan thing.

Galan007
I think love or hate the prequels, most enjoyed the performances of Ewan, Ian and Chris Lee.

So can understand why they are making this, with Ewan still being around and about the right age.

With Hayden as well, they gotta have flashbacks to Clone Wars. Would be a wasted opportunity if they don't IMO.

The main issue is the Vader vs Obi-Wan thing. Yeah, I mean the Inquisitors look pretty bad in that trailer, but my biggest reservation about this series is the hyped Kenobi/Vader battle. As mentioned, that would really just cheapen their final confrontation in ANH to the point where I'm not sure how the ANH dialogue could really be reconciled.

On a different note, this series is supposed to be set 10 years after RotS, and Kenobi looks like this:
https://i.ibb.co/mTpQFfB/1.jpg

...Yet by the time of ANH(which is set 9 years afterward), Kenobi looked like this:
https://i.ibb.co/xSD5cZZ/2.jpg

I really hope some sort of canon explanation is given regarding why Kenobi aged so dramatically in that last decade. Cuz damn...

Darth Thor
^ Yeah probably 5years after ROTS would have been more appropriate. 10 years is pushing it a bit.

Although fun fact, Ewan is 50, and Sir Alex was like 58 when he played Old Ben.

But clearly Ewan aged better. And the difference in their looks becomes more glaring the closer in time the two incarnations get.

Eli Vanto
Ya Kenobi aged REALLY hard in those last 9 years.

I've heard some decent theories about that though. Like after this series he will begin to use the force on a large scale to constantly conceal he and Luke's location from Vader, which would obviously account for why he looked so decrepit (comparatively) in ANH.

Darth Thor
Report that Maul was originally involved, but written out (the show went through numerous rewrites even after it was announced):

https://www.ign.com/articles/darth-maul-cut-from-obi-wan-show

I'm guessing it would have been Maul as a secondary villain instead of Inquisitors.

Total Warrior

Blakemore
I don't think Kenobi will be ruined in this series at all. I actually think that Ewan will do a great job fleshing out the character even more.

That said, there are definitely still elements to this series that I'm not thrilled about, to say the least. Like how the rebels stole the plans because it was in the opening crawl of A New Hope?

Galan007
Due to scheduling conflicts with the Ms. Marvel series, it sounds like the release date for this is being bumped to Friday, May 27th.

Evidently the first two episodes will initially drop on the 27th, and the remaining episodes will be individually released each Wednesday afterward.

Darth Thor
Good means I can watch the first 2 episodes together on a Friday without spoilers.

Eli Vanto
Interesting. So that means the first 3 episodes will drop in under a week, and the entire series will conclude in under a month. Not mad about that.

StiltmanFTW
https://i.ibb.co/Hpbb8Gz/278026854-2464794116990966-8838817963906026779-n.jpg

Robtard
All streaming services should stop being massive assclowns and do what Netflix does, release the whole season at once and let people watch as they wish.

Darth Thor
All streaming services should stop being massive assclowns and do what Netflix does, release the whole season at once and let people watch as they wish.

Yeah especially for something like Star Wars. Could binge ASAP and avoid spoilers. Just stay away from the net until you get those free few hours.

From a marketing perspective though they like to drag out the hype by releasing weekly. Keep people talking about it for weeks.

playa1258
Quan will cut himself after Vader feats in this series.

-Pr-
New Trailer:

3Yh_6_zItPU

Looks like there's gonna be a lot of fakeouts unless they actually plan to retcon ANH.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by playa1258
Quan will cut himself after Vader feats in this series.

You should be cutting yourself for allowing him to live rent-free in your head.

He hasn't even come online since 2020.

Darth Thor
So anyone still believe Obi-Wan isnt going to have an actual physical rematch with Vader?

You should be cutting yourself for allowing him to live rent-free in your head.

He hasn't even come online since 2020.

Yeah he left after finding every excuse in the book not to debate me on DCEU Kal vs MCU Thanos.

playa1258
Vader and Kenobi are without question fighting. I think Kenobi will escape with some form of trickery.

Darth Thor
Vader and Kenobi are without question fighting. I think Kenobi will escape with some form of trickery.

Actually Kenobi needs to win for the ANH dialogue to make any kind of sense.

"The circle is NOW complete. When I left you I was but the learner, NOW I Am The Master."

Also "Your Powers are weak old man."

playa1258
We will see. Not sure if Disney even cares about that.

Darth Thor
We will see. Not sure if Disney even cares about that.

True shrug

StiltmanFTW
I'm worried that Favreau and Filoni weren't involved in this show...

playa1258
That is a concern. Anyway Vader does probably get bested by Kenobi again.

xPRIMEx

Darth Thor
That Kenobi and his tricks.

playa1258
Vader/Kenobi should get new rankings after this.

Robtard
I expect this Vader to handle himself better than even this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/f1/78/c4f17879094617f094107f3a83838d3e.gif
https://c.tenor.com/DK_PuB_TtgMAAAAC/vader-rogue-one.gif
https://64.media.tumblr.com/ed4125523d06cb67be506bf84f32f680/474615df350da622-51/s540x810/da04f50cc8c9df57474abb7378f323c3ee767167.gif

If he's anything but a nigh unstoppable juggernaut, I will be disappoint.

ares834

Zenwolf
"Never having started it." ....Sorry what?.....WHAT?

playa1258
Typical defense. If we have a problem with Reva soloing Vader/Kenobi at the same time we are nothing but racist far-right Nazi incels.

Darth Thor

Zenwolf
To drag in viewers? I was also hearing rumors on the show not really being about Kenobi, that he's there but not solely the main focus. Guess we'll see when the show drops.

Or well I'll see given your guys reaction, not gonna watch it.

Darth Thor
To drag in viewers?

Doubt it. That sort of forced diversity rarely increases numbers. Just increases Twitter rage if the show ends up being bad.

I was also hearing rumors on the show not really being about Kenobi, that he's there but not solely the main focus.

I doubt that.

But the point of a series over a movie is it can flesh out other characters as well.

Or well I'll see given your guys reaction, not gonna watch it.

Ha! You boycotting? Or you dont have Disney Plus?

Zenwolf

ares834

-Pr-

Darth Thor
Will at least be funny watching Vader Not call Obi-Wan by his name, even though he does just that another 10 years later laughing out loud

Psychotron
Saw the first 2 episodes. Pretty meh so far, aside from the Order 66 scene. Leia is written horribly, like she's a 20-something hipster, and the black inquisitor is a terrible actress.

Galan007
Watched the first 2 episodes.

Aside from the notable actors that you'd expect to deliver, the rest of the acting was horrendous.

Lil Leia should not have been given so much screentime. Not trying to knock the kid, but she just... isn't good. Same with all of the Inquisitors so far, but especially whoever plays the 3rd Sister- she is absolutely terrible. Every scene with her is pure cringe.

I really hope this turns around.

Psychotron
Watched the first 2 episodes.

Aside from the notable actors that you'd expect to deliver, the rest of the acting was horrendous.

Lil Leia should not have been given so much screentime. Not trying to knock the kid, but she just... isn't good. Same with all of the Inquisitors so far, but especially whoever plays the 3rd Sister- she is absolutely terrible. Every scene with her is pure cringe.

I really hope this turns around.

To be fair to Lil Leia, the material she has to work with is absolute trash. Why does she sound like a smug college girl? And yeah, the Third Sister is unbearable. The only way this will work is if Obi-Wan humbles her in a fight, or Vader just casually chokes her for failing him.

I'm not a fan of depressed Obi-Wan either. He reminds me too much of TLJ Luke. I hope he turns this around and becomes heroic again.

playa1258
Reva is an absolute annoying ****.

Hope Vader kills that *****.

Psychotron
Reva is an absolute annoying ****.

Hope Vader kills that *****.

Amen. Anyone find it really strange that she knows Vader is Anakin Skywalker?. I feel like only Vader and Sidious should know that.

Zenwolf
Well...nice to see things are off to such a 'great' beginning with the characters. Well the new ones introduced anyway, I expect Ewan to be good even if I'm not watching.

Also that Inquisitor knows THAT for....what reasons? I feel like that's gonna be a problem..

Psychotron
Well...nice to see things are off to such a 'great' beginning with the characters. Well the new ones introduced anyway, I expect Ewan to be good even if I'm not watching.

Also that Inquisitor knows THAT for....what reasons? I feel like that's gonna be a problem..

What's equally strange is that Obi-Wan didn't know Anakin/Vader was still alive until the Third Sister told him. He really thought Anakin had died on Mustafar. I know Tatooine is an Outter Rim backwater, but that seems unlikely.

Total Warrior
Funny two episodes so far, but I'm already annoyed by the Third Sister. I loved yhe Order 66 sequence, hope we get to see more from it

ares834
Star Wars has become the ex you go back to again and again, "This time will be different..." I'm an idiot.

Seriously, you'd think they'd put their A-team on this since it's about Obi-Wan and they have Vader. But nope... Instead, we get yet another painfully generic story about a precocious kid inspiring an old, and burned-out hero. Joy.

The villains so far are awful. Reva is downright terrible. Her actress is barely better than Leia's. Meanwhile, the GI and Sixth brother look absolutely awful. Some people excused the dreadful make-up saying they couldn't do intricate make-up because of action scenes... So much for that excuse. The action is also terrible. The Order 66 scene was the only good action scene. The rest were downright laughable. Watching Leia runwaddle around and all these adults struggle to catch her looked like something out of a bad fan film. How was that shit approved?

Then there were some continuity issues. Having Leia and Kenobi interact like this makes the way she asks for Obi-Wan's help in ANH pretty odd. The bigger issue though is now the Empire knows kidnapping Leia can draw out Obi-Wan. Sure, he'll probably trick the Empire into thinking he is dead or something but, in Rebels Vader, knows (or at least believes) Kenobi is still alive. That's why he wants Ahsoka so bad.

It wasn't all bad though. Ewan McGregor does well. The show also does a good job making the worlds and settings interesting. I particularly like that scene with the Clone Trooper. It's a small moment that adds a lot to the universe. And while I wasn't a big fan of the character, the idea of people masquerading as Jedi to con others is fun.

Darth Thor
So the name Ben hasnt really caught on has it laughing out loud

Originally posted by Psychotron
Amen. Anyone find it really strange that she knows Vader is Anakin Skywalker?. I feel like only Vader and Sidious should know that.

Im guessing shes one of younglings from the Temple Order 66 scene (there was black girl amongst them right?), so she likely saw Anakin killing Jedi.

Want more flashbacks. Want to see Anakin killing Jedi at the Temple

Psychotron
The bigger issue though is now the Empire knows kidnapping Leia can draw out Obi-Wan. Sure, he'll probably trick the Empire into thinking he is dead or something but, in Rebels Vader, knows (or at least believes) Kenobi is still alive. That's why he wants Ahsoka so bad.

That's something I was wondering as well. Why wouldn't Vader pay the Organas a visit after seeing Obi-Wan run to Leia's rescue within a day.

Im guessing shes one of younglings from the Temple Order 66 scene (there was black girl amongst them right?), so she likely saw Anakin killing Jedi.

Want more flashbacks. Want to see Anakin killing Jedi at the Temple

I'm gonna laugh my ass off it turns out that Anakin spared her as a youngling or something. I can't really see why else she would want to join the people that tried to kill her. Or maybe she wants to get close to Vader so she can kill him? Maybe she wants revenge for Order 66. Who knows. I'm sure Disney will come up with something even more retarded than what I just wrote.

Darth Thor
^ Inquisitors are usually taken as younglings or padawans and tortured until they embrace the dark side.

In fact the GI was a full grown Knight before he turned.

So nothing strange there. Question is whats her beef with Obi-Wan but they will obviously give us her back story.

Darth Thor

Psychotron
Yes, just like: "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Also, remember that time you saved me from an uppity inquisitor and her bounty hunters? Good times. Anyway..."

Darth Thor
I mean I get it that they had to justify him leaving Luke. And saving Leia is the Only possible justification for that.

And the very existence of this show was going to screw with canon. But dont mess with it more than you need to. Like so far theres been absolutely no need or justification for ANYONE to call him Obi-Wan. Like as if he was on a first name basis with all these mooks.

Even the Random Jedi. Like thats a Council Member youre referring to. Call him MASTER. Or Master KENOBI. Ffs.

ares834
Having people refer to him as Obi-Wan is a non-issue. He still doesn't go by that name anymore, regardless if a few people call him that a handful of times in the many years between RotS and ANH.

Darth Thor
Hows that a non-issue? It completely takes away from him being shocked at hearing that name in ANH.

Not to mention there was no need for that Handful of nobodies to refer to him by that name. Absolutely pointless retcon.

And I get it theyre playing semantics. Its now the full name (first name and surname together)Obi-Wan Kenobi he hasnt heard in a long time. Still a pointless semantic retcon.

ares834
Nah. Like I said, there is a difference between going by and having some call you by. For example, I sometimes use my brother's old nickname despite the fact that he doesn't go by that name anymore.

Psychotron
I mean I get it that they had to justify him leaving Luke. And saving Leia is the Only possible justification for that.

And the very existence of this show was going to screw with canon. But dont mess with it more than you need to. Like so far theres been absolutely no need or justification for ANYONE to call him Obi-Wan. Like as if he was on a first name basis with all these mooks.

Even the Random Jedi. Like thats a Council Member youre referring to. Call him MASTER. Or Master KENOBI. Ffs.

They didn't need to bring Leia in at all. Now we have a massive plot hole since now the Empire surely knows there's a strong connection between the Organa family and Kenobi. I can't imagine why Vader wouldn't have them rounded up and interrogated. They could have made a story about Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine to lure the inquisitors away to protect Luke or something.

Honestly though, I didn't want to see Obi-Wan fight Vader again before ANH. It should have been a Yojimbo-esque story where Obi-Wan protects the poor folk of Tatooine from gangsters while hiding his identity.

Zenwolf
@Thor, the line is.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi....Obi-Wan. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time, a long time."

"I think my Uncle knows him, he said he was dead."

"Oh he's not dead, not yet."

"Well you know him?"

"Well of course I know him! He's me, I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since all before you were born."

ares834
https://static.stereogum.com/uploads/2022/05/Flea-in-Kenobi-1653663950.jpg

Alderaan's not far away. It's Californication.

-Pr-
Watched both eps. I think the plot is largely crap, and the villains are pretty weak (Reva herself is just a crapper version of Trilla).

I'm really glad to see Kenobi back on screen again, so as long as they don't completely ruin him I doubt I'll be too disappointed. And while I don't like the whole "cynical adult finds child that gives them hope again" story, Leia is adorable so I can't hate her. Plus... I don't think it messes with canon too much. I mean, in ANH, it's Obi-Wan she's trying to reach, and in her message, the last line is said in a far less formal tone than the rest. Unless there's another reason it doesn't work that I missed. Well, bar all the Reva stuff anyway.

Total Warrior

StiltmanFTW
Guys, without spoilers - are the first episodes good?

Yes or no?

ares834
No.

Total Warrior
Yes

Psychotron
Guys, without spoilers - are the first episodes good?

Yes or no?

No.

ares834
I get that art is subjective, but if you're lapping this shit up then you're genuinely a ****ing idiot. This show is so embarrassing. It's feels like a straight up kids show, as if it's Power Rangers or something.

Old Man Whirly!
I get that art is subjective, but if you're lapping this shit up then you're genuinely a ****ing idiot. This show is so embarrassing. It's feels like a straight up kids show, as if it's Power Rangers or something. Star Wars was a straight up kids film.

ares834
That's just Lucas revisionism. It was a family film; it's suitable for all ages.

Old Man Whirly!
That's just Lucas revisionism. It was a family film; it's suitable for all ages. I remember watching it aged 10 and it was primary school kids who drove the hype.

ares834
Perhaps. But it still doesn't change the fact that it appealed to all ages.

Old Man Whirly!
Perhaps. But it still doesn't change the fact that it appealed to all ages. but mainly kids.

-Pr-

ares834
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
but mainly kids.

That's nice. But it still has nothing to do with my original point.
Though I do always find it funny how Disney Wars defenders try to deflect any criticism with attacks on the original films. It makes it clear that they were never fans in the first place.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>