Voting Age

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Artol
Throughout the world and in different democracies there are different voting ages. Often voting age goes hand in hand with adulthood or a sense of being of age, but not always. Common voting ages seem to be 18, which we see in many Western countries, 20 or 21, and recently increased calls to lower the voting age to 16 to extend voting to more people. I was wondering what everyone here thinks the voting age should be and what their reasoning for different ages are?

NewGuy01
Eighteen. Not a day lower, not a day higher.

Blakemore
I see it as, if you're allowed to work you're allowed to vote.

Artol
Originally posted by Blakemore

That is an interesting point of view I hadn't thought of that way before. What kind of work do you consider applicable though, you are in the UK right? So the school leaving age is 16, and at that point you can work full time theoretically. But even younger people can work as long as it is not hazardous to them and doesn't interfere in their schooling (something like babysitting or a paper route, I suppose that would not qualify them for voting rights though, right?)a

eThneoLgrRnae
I voted 21.

Old Man Whirly!
I voted at 18, but personally I don't believe people should be allowed to vote till they are 40.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Artol
That is an interesting point of view I hadn't thought of that way before. What kind of work do you consider applicable though, you are in the UK right? So the school leaving age is 16, and at that point you can work full time theoretically. But even younger people can work as long as it is not hazardous to them and doesn't interfere in their schooling (something like babysitting or a paper route, I suppose that would not qualify them for voting rights though, right?)a somewhere between 16 and 25. I'd settle on 18 imo.

wxyz
Originally posted by Blakemore

thumb up

jaden_2.0
If you can go to war and die on a President's order you should be allowed to vote for that President.

Artol
What about standing for office should there be an age range for that?

ulrickaka
is another important aspect of a successful business. It is a process used to determine the weaknesses and strengths of a companies

Neon1234
What about standing for office should there be an age range for that?

I think if you can work, you should be able to vote and run for office.

Artol
Originally posted by Neon1234
I think if you can work, you should be able to vote and run for office.

Are you wxyz?

Neon1234
Are you wxyz?

Yes, new account.

PR will permaban my old one.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I voted at 18, but personally I don't believe people should be allowed to vote till they are 40.

strongly disagree

Neon1234
If you're old enough to work and therefore contribute to the system via income taxes, then you have a right to say on how those tax dollars are spent.

That includes voting and running for office.

Artol
I heard an idea that rather than one vote per person you should get a vote proportionate to the years of life left. So for example taking life expectancy of 80 an 18 year old voter would get 62/62 of a vote (or 1 full vote), a 64 year old on the other hand would get 16/62 of a vote. This would ensure that those most affected by decisions for the longest time would get more of a say in them, and an 80 year old on their deathbed couldn't settle the youngest with an enormously decision that the young hadn't voted for.

I'm not for this proposal myself, but I thought it was an interesting thought.

Neon1234

Why 40?

truejedi

How old should people be before they can buy property? And how old before they join the military? Above 40?

Bashar Teg
I heard an idea that rather than one vote per person you should get a vote proportionate to the years of life left. So for example taking life expectancy of 80 an 18 year old voter would get 62/62 of a vote (or 1 full vote), a 64 year old on the other hand would get 16/62 of a vote. This would ensure that those most affected by decisions for the longest time would get more of a say in them, and an 80 year old on their deathbed couldn't settle the youngest with an enormously decision that the young hadn't voted for.

I'm not for this proposal myself, but I thought it was an interesting thought.

It's another horrible idea. tyranny of the young over the old.

jaden_2.0

Tremendous idea but only if you combine it with a Logan's Run policy.

samhain
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
If you can go to war and die on a President's order you should be allowed to vote for that President.

Even after you've died?

In England you can be married with children and have a full time job where you pay tax at 16 yet can't vote for 2 more years. It seems that people of that age are largely unconcerned with voting though, and have faith that people in their 20's, 30's, etc know more than they do so leave it to them. Least that's how it was for us, 'Leave the voting for those who care'.

samhain
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Tremendous idea but only if you combine it with a Logan's Run policy.

Then you'd never be able to vote as they are killed off (recycled) at 30 in Logan's Run.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by samhain
Then you'd never be able to vote as they are killed off (recycled) at 30 in Logan's Run.

https://media.tenor.com/images/74183a5ba285f75097b944bfb5d294c3/tenor.gif

samhain
Ah I see thumb up

Old Man Whirly!
I LIKED Jessica and Rem.

BackFire
Should be the same age that you are eligible for military service. If you can serve in the military then you should be allowed to vote.

Bashar Teg
military and voting age should both be 21 imho

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
military and voting age should both be 21 imho If you made the military 21 no one would join up Bash!

Bashar Teg
I don't think that's true at all. just extend programs like rotc

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
I don't think that's true at all. just extend programs like rotc No, you're right I'm being sarcastic for a personal joke on someone close to me who is in the military now for 14 years.

samhain
Originally posted by BackFire
Should be the same age that you are eligible for military service. If you can serve in the military then you should be allowed to vote.

Meaning 11 year olds in Sierra Leone could vote.

Oh yeah, I said it!

Bashar Teg
No, you're right I'm being sarcastic for a personal joke on someone close to me who is in the military now for 14 years.

I seem to have misplaced my sarcasm detector. I just had the damn thing like 10 minutes ago.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by samhain
Meaning 11 year olds in Sierra Leone could vote.

Oh yeah, I said it! I've been to Sierra Leone. Originally posted by Bashar Teg
I seem to have misplaced my sarcasm detector. I just had the damn thing like 10 minutes ago. smile laughing out loud Never leave home or come on KMC without.

Blakemore
no more sierra lie-one lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.