Why would a supreme being need constant affirmation from its creations?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
I respect everyone's right to freedom to worship as they wish as long as their religion does not negatively affect others.

I do ask though, why would a God require constant affirmation from his creations, be they a toy, pet, lab experiment or work of art?

Blakemore
Yeah, why doesn't the watch worship its creator?

Why can't the iPhone worship Steve Jobs?

Heathens.

Neon1234
Why does Whirly need constant affirmation from Leftists?

Blakemore
Originally posted by Neon1234
Why does Whirly need constant affirmation from Leftists? Other way around, and he does thumb up

victreebelvictr
The same question can go for many other religions as well.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
The same question can go for many other religions as well. Does it specify a religion?

Wonder Man

victreebelvictr
The answer: He doesn't. smile

Wonder Man
He glorified His own name. And will again.

Old Man Whirly!
The answer: He doesn't. smile Job might disagree, for Christianity... if you are a Christian and Islam literally means submission.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Job might disagree, for Christianity... if you are a Christian and Islam literally means submission. But that doesn't at all mean God (assuming that it is a perfect being) "needs" it.

Old Man Whirly!
But that doesn't at all mean God (assuming that it is a perfect being) "needs" it. You believe in the Bible, right?

Exodus 20:2-6

"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. "You shall have no other gods before me. "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand of those who love me and keep my commandments.

21Jesus replied, “Believe me, dear woman, the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on this mountain or in Jerusalem. 22You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews. 23But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way.24For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

John 4 21–24

victreebelvictr
You believe in the Bible, right?

"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. "You shall have no other gods before me. "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand of those who love me and keep my commandments.

21Jesus replied, “Believe me, dear woman, the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on this mountain or in Jerusalem. 22You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews. 23But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way.24For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

John 4 21–24 None of what you just posted supports your position.

Old Man Whirly!
None of what you just posted supports your position. Disagree.

victreebelvictr
Disagree. Okay. Explain to me how it does support your philosophy.

Old Man Whirly!
Okay. Explain to me how it does support your philosophy. self explanatory text

Blakemore
It's in caps.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Blakemore
It's in caps. thumb up It is! laughing out loud

victreebelvictr
self explanatory text I agree with that.

Don't see how giving laws to His followers has anything to do with "needing" our support.

The jealousy part displays that He wants us to accept His gift of eternal life very badly. Jealousy by definition does not equal need.

I see what you were thinking though.

Neon1234
Jealousy is desire though.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Neon1234
Jealousy is desire though. God can desire. He needs nothing.

I think He desires that His plans of perfection are carried out. This would make sense considering the fact that He is also perfect. thumb up

Though, don't quote me on that.

Blakemore
So god needs desire.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Blakemore
So god needs desire. No one needs desire.

Blakemore
god does

HumbleServant
I respect everyone's right to freedom to worship as they wish as long as their religion does not negatively affect others.

I do ask though, why would a God require constant affirmation from his creations, be they a toy, pet, lab experiment or work of art? Because he created you out of love

ThirstyGuy#1321
Originally posted by HumbleServant
Because he created you out of love 🤦‍♂️

ThirstyGuy#1321
Belief n a loving God = ignorance of THE FACTS and the lacking of BASIC math skills.

Adam_PoE
I agree with that.

Don't see how giving laws to His followers has anything to do with "needing" our support.

The jealousy part displays that He wants us to accept His gift of eternal life very badly. Jealousy by definition does not equal need.

I see what you were thinking though.

want verb To be deficient by the absence of some part or thing, or to feel or have a need.

A perfect being is not deficient, and does not experience absence, or have feelings, or needs.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
want verb To be deficient by the absence of some part or thing, or to feel or have a need.

A perfect being is not deficient, and does not experience absence, or have feelings, or needs. Dude, you're applying logical thought to the religion forum. They don't like logic.

Scribble

victreebelvictr

Scribble
"have a desire to possess or do (something); wish for." - Oxford Dictionary

He did not create evil. We did.

The verse does not literally mean that God created evil, for that is a mess up in the English translation I suppose.

Here is a link for it: https://www.gotquestions.org/Isaiah-45-7.html smile Of course Sabaoth created evil, because he is evil. He is singularly responsible for all suffering. If he isn't, for argument's sake, then why let it exist? Why create a world so drastically imperfect that these things come about? And if he created humans, and humans did create evil, then Sabaoth created the potential for evil.

Are you saying that humans were able to create something that your God didn't envision? Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

Also, in that assessment of the line from Isaiah: The word translated "evil" is from a Hebrew word that means "adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, misery." ... yeah, sounds like God created evil to me. Why create adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, and misery unless you are purposefully allowing suffering into the world, or unless you made a catastrophic mistake?

Sabaoth is either supremely evil or completely incompetent.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Scribble
Of course Sabaoth created evil, because he is evil. He is singularly responsible for all suffering. If he isn't, for argument's sake, then why let it exist? Why create a world so drastically imperfect that these things come about? And if he created humans, and humans did create evil, then Sabaoth created the potential for evil.

Are you saying that humans were able to create something that your God didn't envision? Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

Also, in that assessment of the line from Isaiah: The word translated "evil" is from a Hebrew word that means "adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, misery." ... yeah, sounds like God created evil to me. Why create adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, and misery unless you are purposefully allowing suffering into the world, or unless you made a catastrophic mistake?

Sabaoth is either supremely evil or completely incompetent. Good questions. These are things I might go over in my "The Good News" thread. smile

So, till then, maybe this link will answer your questions: https://www.str.org/w/why-did-god-create-people-if-he-knew-so-many-would-go-to-hell-

Scribble

victreebelvictr

Scribble
I am actually about to write something in regards to the Holy Standards of God.

It really is hard to come to terms with them. If it is true that He is holy, His standards are definitely way higher and harder to grip then our own.

If you are interested, you may take a look.

God bless. smile It's probably a lot harder to come to terms with the fact that your belief has made you a hateful person, contravening Jesus's teachings. So many Christians venerate Sabaoth and Paul, and ignore the red letters of Christ. You are not a Christian; you are an Abrahamite, or perhaps a Paulite. In fact, you barely ever mention Christ, but you talk about Sabaoth a lot, and have quoted Romans, which is the essential Paul text.

But sure, I'll read whatever you write, as long as it isn't book-length. I have better mystical texts to be studying in that case.

dyajeep
in the Bible, God does not need anything from anyone

"God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;"
Acts 17:24-25

He is God from eternity to eternity

"Before the mountains were brought forth, and thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from eternity to eternity thou art God."
Psalms 90:2

His Godhood will not diminish without affirmations, and will not be supplemented with it

Darth Thor

I do ask though, why would a God require constant affirmation from his creations, be they a toy, pet, lab experiment or work of art?

From the Islamic perspective Allah does not need anything. He's not a jealous God.

Worshipping God is simply the path to truth and righteousness for us:

1) to humble ourselves,

2) treat others as equals (we pray in a straight line alongside others, no matter their race or status).

3) to be mindful of our actions in daily life.

Patient_Leech
You believe in the Bible, right?

John 4 21–24 Originally posted by victreebelvictr
None of what you just posted supports your position.

Okay. Explain to me how it does support your philosophy.
self explanatory text

laughing out loud El.Oh.El. Deflections and denials. That's about all you can expect from the devout when you literally lay out evidence right in front of them. They instantly regress to the most childish retorts. Might as well say, "I know you are, but what am I?"

Blakemore
This thread is dumb.s

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.