Fixing Law Enforcement's Racial Injustice Problem

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Before an officer can even start to train, all of them must fill out a form and take a lie detector test during.

All of the questions will then be asked verbally again and again on different days, the questions will all be racially-charged, with black, white, and grey answers (morally).

Questions will involve racism of some kind, both subtle, and direct, over 100 questions will be featured.

If they pass and don't fail the lie detector test more then twice, then they can be a cop.

Robtard
Honestly, I don't think that would help, it might weed out a racist applicant here/there, but not enough to effect change.

It's a police culture problem, why even good cops still tow the Blue Line so to speak and we rarely have not-shit cops turning the corrupt cops in. But the racial issue also stems from a societal problem.

Was it the FBI who a couple years warned warned of a known White Supremacist movement to get their people into law enforcement across the country?

Scribble
Electing people like Kamala Harris, who jailed many black youths for first-time marijuana possession offences, probably isn't a great way to go, for a start.

Generally unless the cop culture can change rapidly (and it can't because that would require all of American culture to change) then the best way to begin would be to give cops less incentive to question and hassle black people, starting with decriminalisation of drugs, especially marijuana, on the federal level.

Jmanghan
If you tried to decriminalize stuff like crack-cocaine and heroin, I'm hardcore against that to the point I'd attend protests for it.

Legalize weed though, go nuts.

Robtard
The war on drugs failed, Jman. Cost billions, made things arguably worse and many nonviolent drug users ended up in jail.

Scribble
Originally posted by Robtard
The war on drugs failed, Jman. Cost billions, made things arguably worse and many nonviolent drug users ended up in jail. thumb up

Plus decriminalisation doesn't imply 'legalisation' as such. It just means that users aren't getting slammed up for years and used as slave labour by private prisons.

Jmanghan
The war on drugs failed, Jman. Cost billions, made things arguably worse and many nonviolent drug users ended up in jail. How did it make things worse?

If it were legalized there wouldn't be less deaths, people would still be dependent, homeless, and jobless due to spending all their money on drugs.

By legalizing it you're not stopping that problem, just creating more homeless.

ares834
Any evidence of that? Frankly, I feel the exact opposite. I believe people don't do hard drugs primarily because of the dangers associated with them, not because they are illegal. Just look at how many people smoke weed despite it being illegal. I doubt the number of people using hard drugs would greatly increase if they became legalized. Meanwhile, all the money wasted on the war on drugs could be put to better use on recovery and preventive programs.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
Any evidence of that? Frankly, I feel the exact opposite. I believe people don't do hard drugs primarily because of the dangers associated with them, not because they are illegal. Just look at how many people smoke weed despite it being illegal. I doubt the number of people using hard drugs would greatly increase if they became legalized. Meanwhile, all the money wasted on the war on drugs could be put to better use on recovery and preventive programs. Oh yeah "since it's legal, less people will use it." :/

I'm pretty sure statistically, during the prohibition era, far less people drank then before.

Marijuana deserves to be legalized, it doesn't harm you as much as harder drugs would.

Again, for the record, I'd make cigarettes illegal if I could.

ares834
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Oh yeah "since it's legal, less people will use it." :/

Nice strawman. thumb up

Robtard
How did it make things worse?

If it were legalized there wouldn't be less deaths, people would still be dependent, homeless, and jobless due to spending all their money on drugs.

For one, because of nonviolent people being jailed and all the fallout associated with that. eg Kids growing up in a single parent home or foster care.

As Ares above noted, being legal would not bring in tons of new users. eg I don't use drugs because they're illegal, I don't use them because they're dangerous and unhealthily. I've only ever smoked/eaten weed and that was when it was still classified as a Schedule I Narcotic.

Jmanghan
Nice strawman. thumb up That is point-blank exactly what you said, or at least the gist of it, no?

Jmanghan
For one, because of nonviolent people being jailed and all the fallout associated with that. eg Kids growing up in a single parent home or foster care.

As Ares above noted, being legal would not bring in tons of new users. eg I don't use drugs because they're illegal, I don't use them because they're dangerous and unhealthily. I've only ever smoked/eaten weed and that was when it was still classified as a Schedule I Narcotic. But it would allow people who just felt like doing it and got addicted an easier way of getting it, then they become dependent on it.

I'd bet there are people who just felt like doing it and literally the only reason they haven't is because it's illegal and not because it's dangerous. Making it legal removes one of the reasons a normal person wouldn't try it.

Robtard
But it would allow people who just felt like doing it and got addicted an easier way of getting it, then they become dependent on it.

I'd bet there are people who just felt like doing it and literally the only reason they haven't is because it's illegal and not because it's dangerous. Making it legal removes one of the reasons a normal person wouldn't try it.

One thing we've learned with the War on Drugs, if someone really wants to do a drug, they're going to find it and do it. It being legal or illegal has little effect on that.

When you first smoked weed, was it still illegal?

Sure, maybe a small percentage of people are in the: "I'd never do heroin since it's illegal, but now I'm going to shoot up because it is!" category, but that's going to be a very small minority.

ares834
That is point-blank exactly what you said, or at least the gist of it, no?

No. I said the opposite. I said that I doubt the number of users would "greatly increase". The implication of that statement being that there would be an increase just not a massive one.

Jmanghan
No. I said the opposite. I said that I doubt the number of users would "greatly increase". The implication of that statement being that there would be an increase just not a massive one. Oof, my bad, dude.

Darth Thor
Yeah theres the drug war as well. The more drugs which are legalised, the more drug lords go out of business.

Weed is no more harmful than Alcohol, so should definitely legalised IMO.

StyleTime
How did it make things worse?

Nope. Portugal was the experiment the world's been intensely watching, and the results are overwhelmingly positive. Drug related deaths fell to five times less than the E.U. average, and are only one-fiftieth of the US death totals. New HIV cases fell by half. Additionally, it appears recreational drug use actually dropped among 18-24 year olds.

Meanwhile, drug prohibition has given us cartels, slavery, war, and mass murder. We're literally creating the problem ourselves, as these things exist mostly because it's illegal.

What you're concerned about is addiction in general, which I agree is a problem. Instead of wasting money on this drug war though, we could use those funds for useful things like: better education, better rehabilitation options, or supporting policy measures that decrease economic uncertainty in our population. Swiss-style heroin assisted treatment is a good rehab option to explore, for example..

Marijuana deserves to be legalized, it doesn't harm you as much as harder drugs would.
This actually gets tricky too, as there is much propaganda out there concerning recreational drug use. Marijuana itself was a victim of this until recently. Mushrooms are currently shedding their stigma, finally, and I predict other drugs will in time.

Much of the "hard" vs "soft" drugs is in our heads, in all honesty. I've tried cocaine a couple of times, and witnessed others doing it--it's actually quite boring. Each time, I got a moderately elevated mood for about 15 minutes then decided it's the most overrated drug of all time. No one got addicted. It was just uneventful I have zero desire to try it again, but know plenty of upper middle class* folks who love it. It doesn't seem to interfere with their lives, so I don't judge.

*I hate using income as a measure of a person's worth, but I do think people have an odd understanding of the average recreational drug user. Addicts are different, of course.

*Also, I'm not saying drugs are 100% harmless. Few things are.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by StyleTime
Nope. Portugal was the experiment the world's been intensely watching, and the results are overwhelmingly positive. Drug related deaths fell to five times less than the E.U. average, and are only one-fiftieth of the US death totals. New HIV cases fell by half. Additionally, it appears recreational drug use actually dropped among 18-24 year olds.

Meanwhile, drug prohibition has given us cartels, slavery, war, and mass murder. We're literally creating the problem ourselves, as these things exist mostly because it's illegal.

What you're concerned about is addiction in general, which I agree is a problem. Instead of wasting money on this drug war though, we could use those funds for useful things like: better education, better rehabilitation options, or supporting policy measures that decrease economic uncertainty in our population. Swiss-style heroin assisted treatment is a good rehab option to explore, for example..

This actually gets tricky too, as there is much propaganda out there concerning recreational drug use. Marijuana itself was a victim of this until recently. Mushrooms are currently shedding their stigma, finally, and I predict other drugs will in time.

Much of the "hard" vs "soft" drugs is in our heads, in all honesty. I've tried cocaine a couple of times, and witnessed others doing it--it's actually quite boring. Each time, I got a moderately elevated mood for about 15 minutes then decided it's the most overrated drug of all time. No one got addicted. It was just uneventful I have zero desire to try it again, but know plenty of upper middle class* folks who love it. It doesn't seem to interfere with their lives, so I don't judge.

*I hate using income as a measure of a person's worth, but I do think people have an odd understanding of the average recreational drug user. Addicts are different, of course.

*Also, I'm not saying drugs are 100% harmless. Few things are.

Uh yeah, Cocaine will kill you within a few years if you use it like every other day, lmfao.

Insane Titan
Here is a question for those who pointed out about the mainly black youths imprisoned for (minor) cannabis possession etc. What will happen with cannabis becoming legal etc in more states to those serving time.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Insane Titan
Here is a question for those who pointed out about the mainly black youths imprisoned for (minor) cannabis possession etc. What will happen with cannabis becoming legal etc in more states to those serving time. That's a really good question actually.

Jmanghan
Uh... Release them... Lol.

Old Man Whirly!
Uh... Release them... Lol. Let's hope.

Astner
Racism is a developed behavior and not an inborn trait. Officers usually aren't racists when they join the Force, but tend to develop racism in response to the clientele they deal with, or more specifically: in response to the treatment by subgroup of that clientele.

This subgroup tend to be uncooperative and not follow proper procedures, while at the same time hurling mixture racial slurs and accusations of racism at officers for doing their job. After a while an officer will become a lot less patient with this subgroup.

The solution has to be worked on at both fronts. Officers have to be taught to not discriminate against this subgroup, and this subgroup has to be taught to cooperate with officers.

Uh... Release them... Lol.
That will not happen because laws and the lifting of laws are not applied retroactively.

If it becomes illegal to eat chocolate tomorrow you can't be prosecuted for eating a Hershey's bar today, because yesterday it wasn't a crime.

Likewise, if you smoked cannabis yesterday when it was a crime, it doesn't matter if the law is lifted today, because you smoked it when it was illegal.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Astner
Racism is a developed behavior and not an inborn trait. thumb up The rest of your post is spot on too but this is actually a Scientific fact for anyone who understands the Science behind it. The Amygdala response shows it is learned. Interestingly as I have banged on about on this board most credible Scientists due to genetic diversity consider Race a social construct.

Astner
The solution has to be worked on at both fronts. Officers have to be taught to not discriminate against this subgroup, and this subgroup has to be taught to cooperate with officers.
There's an additional problem when it comes to the Justice System in the U.S. and law enforcement, and that's that officers work with prosecutors and against lawyers, hence your attorney's advice to "not tell the police anything and to tell them (the police) to refer to them (the lawyer) for answers."

So proper cooperation isn't necessarily intuitive. Because you need to be aware of what to say and what not to say, or else you could end up with a fine or in prison.

This wouldn't be an issue if the stupidity of the masses in the U.S. didn't boarder on parody, who want simple solutions to a complex procedure, which if implemented would destroy the legal certainty of that procedure.

truejedi
Does anyone in America, even Trumpers, deny that their coup was met with less violence from law enforcement than BLM marches this summer?

Jmanghan
That will not happen because laws and the lifting of laws are not applied retroactively.

If it becomes illegal to eat chocolate tomorrow you can't be prosecuted for eating a Hershey's bar today, because yesterday it wasn't a crime.

Likewise, if you smoked cannabis yesterday when it was a crime, it doesn't matter if the law is lifted today, because you smoked it when it was illegal.

That's REALLY ****ing stupid.

Astner
That's REALLY ****ing stupid.
No. It needs to be case to enforce legal certainty. You're not punished for smoking cannabis, you're punished for breaking the law that's put in place to prevent you from smoking cannabis.

That's also why I brought up retroactive enforcement of newly passed laws, which also isn't allowed. Laws only apply after they've passed by Congress, Parliament, or whatever your country's legislative institution is called.

truejedi
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/us/protest-disparity-study-trnd/index.html

Good read, and how anyone watching felt.

Artol
Originally posted by Insane Titan
Here is a question for those who pointed out about the mainly black youths imprisoned for (minor) cannabis possession etc. What will happen with cannabis becoming legal etc in more states to those serving time.
It depends really, I would advocate that in case of legalization you also put an amnesty for those convicted of the crime in the past. (at least as long as it was for possession, though personally I would even give amnesty to those dealing it)

StyleTime
Uh yeah, Cocaine will kill you within a few years if you use it like every other day, lmfao.
Nope. You can easily find celebrity stories of similar situations, like Dennis Quaid or Demi Lovato or somesuch. There's also the stories of former addicts you can find pretty easily online. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytVxYTavE1U, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bU3Rnbve9g, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DJN387AKuQ.

There's a myriad of factors at play. How was it administered? How much? Are other substances being used with it? People can also develop a tolerance to it, and sometimes try to take higher, possibly lethal doses in response. It's more complicated than "do drugs and die."

Obviously, I'm not saying go grab a crack pipe; however, we can acknowledge the horrors of addiction while still allowing for a nuanced view of recreational use. We accept recreational drinking, but scoff when other substances are brought up. Which is strange anyway, since alcohol is "worse" than many of the substances we consider hard(LSD or Psilocybin mushrooms, for example).

Old Man Whirly!
Nope. You can easily find celebrity stories of similar situations, like Dennis Quaid or Demi Lovato or somesuch. There's also the stories of former addicts you can find pretty easily online. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytVxYTavE1U, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bU3Rnbve9g, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DJN387AKuQ.

There's a myriad of factors at play. How was it administered? How much? Are other substances being used with it? People can also develop a tolerance to it, and sometimes try to take higher, possibly lethal doses in response. It's more complicated than "do drugs and die."

Obviously, I'm not saying go grab a crack pipe; however, we can acknowledge the horrors of addiction while still allowing for a nuanced view of recreational use. We already do it for alcohol, but throw it out the window for other substances for some reason. Which is strange anyway, since alcohol is "worse" than many of the substances we consider hard(LSD or Psilocybin mushrooms, for example). I am a prime example of cocaine not killing you, I used it for years.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I am a prime example of cocaine not killing you, I used it for years.
thumb up

Must have been expensive AF though.
Originally posted by Artol
It depends really, I would advocate that in case of legalization you also put an amnesty for those convicted of the crime in the past. (at least as long as it was for possession, though personally I would even give amnesty to those dealing it)
thumb up

Policy measures, like amnesty, can be implemented to help people currently serving time for newly legalized actions. Prisoners are also often able to petition for reduced sentences/release in that situation.

Some countries even allow retroactive application of the new law, if the new law is beneficial to the one serving time. I wish we'd adopt that tbh. It just makes sense, since we're admitting the law was ridiculous to begin with.

IvoryCoast
thumb up

Must have been expensive AF though.

thumb up

Policy measures, like amnesty, can be implemented to help people currently serving time for newly legalized actions. Prisoners are also often able to petition for reduced sentences/release in that situation.

Some countries even allow retroactive application of the new law, if the new law is beneficial to the one serving time. I wish we'd adopt that tbh. https://media3.giphy.com/media/Wp6LWZa4eObI60xwkU/giphy.gif

Adam_PoE
A City of Miami Police officer is under investigation because of what he was doing in a photo taken while on duty. The picture in question was taken Friday after Miami police made a big gun bust, but now top department brass are taking a closer look.

A commander posted the photo on Twitter, and someone noticed the officer at the far end of the picture flashing white power hand signals. That man is Miami Police Officer Daniel Ubeda. The tweet was deleted less than 48 hours after it was posted. The commander who posted it also made his account private.

Officer Ubeda is the same Miami officer who went to vote last fall while wearing a Trump face covering. He was eventually reprimanded for political messaging while in uniform.

Adam_PoE

Bashar Teg
"drain the swamp" indeed. should we thank trump for ushering in real police reform by insping literally every closet-fascist in the country to goosestep about online?

Adam_PoE
More than half of police killings in the U.S. are not reported in official government data, and black Americans are most likely to experience fatal police violence, according to a new study released Thursday. An estimated 55% of deaths from police violence from 1980 to 2018 were misclassified or unreported in official vital statistics reports, according to the peer-reviewed study by a group of more than 90 collaborators in The Lancet.

Previous studies have found similar rates of underreporting, but the new paper is one of the longest study periods to date. Researchers estimated official government data did not report 17,100 deaths from police violence out of 30,800 total deaths during the nearly 40-year period, speculating the gap is a result of a mixture of clerical errors and more insidious motivations.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
More than half of police killings in the U.S. are not reported in official government data, and black Americans are most likely to experience fatal police violence, according to a new study released Thursday. An estimated 55% of deaths from police violence from 1980 to 2018 were misclassified or unreported in official vital statistics reports, according to the peer-reviewed study by a group of more than 90 collaborators in The Lancet.

Previous studies have found similar rates of underreporting, but the new paper is one of the longest study periods to date. Researchers estimated official government data did not report 17,100 deaths from police violence out of 30,800 total deaths during the nearly 40-year period, speculating the gap is a result of a mixture of clerical errors and more insidious motivations. it's criminal in itself to be honest

Scribble
it's criminal in itself to be honest Whirly and his child bride will hopefully be raped and killed soon! Or the steroid-addled boomer could just kill himself and likely <80 IQ wife first? Do the world a favour.

Eon Blue
^ this somehow makes me feel empowered, like a magical elf saint.

Adam_PoE
The controversial president of the union representing NYPD sergeants resigned Tuesday after federal investigators searched the union's headquarters and his home. Sergeants Benevolent Association President Ed Mullins resigned at the request of the union's board, the board said in a letter to its membership late Tuesday.

Mullins was a brash leader known for his over-the-top social media attacks on NYPD leadership and Mayor de Blasio. A member of the NYPD since January 1982, Mullins took over as head of the SBA on July 1, 2002. Mullins was already facing an internal NYPD probe over his bigoted and profane statements on Twitter.

He is an outspoken backer of Donald Trump and visited him at the White House in February 2020. He grabbed headlines in July 2020 for giving an interview on Fox News with a QAnon coffee mug in the background.

Agents seized computer gear from Mullins' home, and other potential evidence, including boxes of documents, were carried out of the police union's Tribeca headquarters. FBI spokesperson Martin Feely confirmed the raids but would not elaborate on the nature of the probe at the time.

A high-ranking law enforcement official said the investigation involved suspicions of mail and wire fraud, or misappropriations of SBA funds. Mullins landed in hot water last year for tweeting the unredacted arrest report of the mayor's daughter, Chiara de Blasio after she was busted during George Floyd protests in Manhattan.

Mullins also sparked outrage in 2019 when he circulated a racist video to members of the SBA and urged them to "pay close attention to every word."

Bashar Teg
The controversial president of the union representing NYPD sergeants resigned Tuesday after federal investigators searched the union's headquarters and his home. Sergeants Benevolent Association President Ed Mullins resigned at the request of the union's board, the board said in a letter to its membership late Tuesday.

Mullins was a brash leader known for his over-the-top social media attacks on NYPD leadership and Mayor de Blasio. A member of the NYPD since January 1982, Mullins took over as head of the SBA on July 1, 2002. Mullins was already facing an internal NYPD probe over his bigoted and profane statements on Twitter.

He is an outspoken backer of Donald Trump and visited him at the White House in February 2020. He grabbed headlines in July 2020 for giving an interview on Fox News with a QAnon coffee mug in the background.

Agents seized computer gear from Mullins' home, and other potential evidence, including boxes of documents, were carried out of the police union's Tribeca headquarters. FBI spokesperson Martin Feely confirmed the raids but would not elaborate on the nature of the probe at the time.

A high-ranking law enforcement official said the investigation involved suspicions of mail and wire fraud, or misappropriations of SBA funds. Mullins landed in hot water last year for tweeting the unredacted arrest report of the mayor's daughter, Chiara de Blasio after she was busted during George Floyd protests in Manhattan.

Mullins also sparked outrage in 2019 when he circulated a racist video to members of the SBA and urged them to "pay close attention to every word."

immediately after the "oathkeeper" data leak. if it wasn't for trump, this fascist pos would still be enthusiasticly destroying lives with impunity. thanks trump smile

Blakemore
When Robtard was 18 he had anal sex with 40 underaged girls in one day and they all said he had a big willy, but they died of aids 2 weeks later except for the Japanese girl who died the next day from internal bleeding.

I tried to be as racist as I could lol 😂

Adam_PoE

Adam_PoE

Adam_PoE
A U.S. Capitol Police officer has been indicted on obstruction of justice charges after prosecutors say he helped to hide evidence of a rioter's involvement in the January 6th insurrection. The officer, Michael A. Riley, is accused of tipping off someone who participated in the riot by telling them to remove posts from Facebook that had showed the person inside the Capitol during the January 6th attack, according to court documents.

Riley, who responded to a report of a pipe bomb on January 6th and has been a Capitol Police officer for about 25 years, had sent the person a message telling them that he was an officer with the police force who "agrees with your political stance," an indictment against him says. The indictment spells out how Riley sent dozens of messages to the unidentified person, encouraging them to remove incriminating photos and videos and telling them how the FBI was investigating to identify rioters.

Adam_PoE
A man who was shot in the arm by Kyle Rittenhouse during a protest last year against police brutality in Wisconsin has filed a federal lawsuit alleging police enabled the violence by allowing an armed militia to have free run of the streets during the demonstration.

The filing maintains police knew the militia was there to hurt people, pointing to social media responses such as, "Counter protest? Nah. I fully plan to kill looters and rioters tonight," and "Armed and ready. Shoot to kill tonight."

Regardless, police welcomed them, allowing them to patrol the streets with their guns after curfew. One officer told the militia, "We appreciate you guys." Police later funneled protestors toward the militia, telling members they could take care of them.

Robtard
The FBI has repeatedly warned that there's a push by White supremacist to infiltrate law enforcement on both the state and federal levels.

But hey, it's not a problem or something.

Adam_PoE

Bashar Teg

Blakemore
The war on drugs kept black people working for private investors. Just replace plantation with prison. You can argue it's immoral, but .............it's America. Drug addicts doing work was kind of a good thing and black people just got the short end of the stick.

Personally, I don't like discrimination or drug restriction. I'm arguing it probably boosted the economy. up

Bashar Teg
slavery does certainly drive up profits. what's your point though

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
^wow what a toxic shit. almost forgot

police are in desperate need of denazidication Yeah ****ing disgusting tbh.

Robtard

Bashar Teg
Yeah ****ing disgusting tbh.

indeed. beyond vile.

Adam_PoE

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.