ROTS Obi Wan vs ROTJ Luke

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xPRIMEx
Who would win? Both are fighting to kill.

Galan007
The only way Luke doesn't win is if you think Vader was massively nerfed in RotJ, imo.

Eli Vanto
thumb up

My opinion-
ROTJ Luke = ROTJ Vader >> Mustafar Anakin ~ ROTS Kenobi.

relentless1
Vader was holding back in ROTJ, his performance can't be used as a measure of Lukes abilities. Having said that, after Mando finale I think Luke takes this after a decent fight

Darth Thor
Originally posted by relentless1
Vader was holding back in ROTJ, his performance can't be used as a measure of Lukes abilities. Having said that, after Mando finale I think Luke takes this after a decent fight

But the Luke we saw in Mando was 5 years post ROTJ.

xPRIMEx

StiltmanFTW
So was Luke.

qwertyuiop1998
Yeah, Luke didnt try to kill his father either

Darth Thor
Originally posted by qwertyuiop1998
Yeah, Luke didnt try to kill his father either

Thats not the same as being conflicted though.

qwertyuiop1998
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Thats not the same as being conflicted though. But it certainly held back Luke. So I dont think Vader was conflicted during ROTJ is a good argument. Since both of them werent at their peaks/not going all out

xPRIMEx

qwertyuiop1998
I mean Luke literally said he wont fight vader and kept being defensive. And when he was going all out/using his rage him stomping vader easily. I dont think that is a good argument for vader being massively above Luke confused

xPRIMEx
Yeah, but Luke went rage mode. He had to use his anger to defeat a conflicted Vader.

xPRIMEx
I never said Vader was *massively* above Luke.

qwertyuiop1998
I know. I just want to say that Vader was conflicted during ROTJ doesnt necessarily mean Luke's powers werent equal to Vader's.
I still tend to take the value of the quote saying Vader and Luke are equal in the force and skills

Galan007
Originally posted by xPRIMEx
Yeah, but Luke went rage mode. He had to use his anger to defeat a conflicted Vader. In Beware the Power of the Dark Side it was stated that Vader was tapping into his dark sided emotions(ie. hate, rage, fear) when Luke went beast mode, but it was still not enough to defend against him.

xPRIMEx

qwertyuiop1998
Originally posted by Galan007
https://i.imgur.com/t8Wy6e4.jpg
-Jedi vs. Sith (2016)

xPRIMEx

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Thats not the same as being conflicted though.

Luke was conflicted with his own dark side, realizing it takes away his humanity.

Both father and son were conflicted in the throne room scene, in their own ways.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Luke was conflicted with his own dark side, realizing it takes away his humanity.

Both father and son were conflicted in the throne room scene, in their own ways.

I mean he was tempted by the dark side, sure. That was mostly when he was hiding and avoiding the fight though.

The entire movie however Vader was conflicted. Luke says it. Palpatine even questions it.

Galan007
Vader was conflicted to *some* extent, but he was still loyal to Palpatine initially, and was very much trying to turn Luke towards the dark side.

So based on what we know right now, I don't necessarily believe that said conflict was significantly hindering Vader's power.

Darthadi
Vader was loyal to Sidious because he thought there is no other way imo. Not because of any true loyality.
Vader still being a darksider doesn't mean he can't be hugely weakened by conflict. He can be 51% dark side and 49% light to put in in numbers. In TFA Kylo was trying to convert Rey (just as Vader was trying to convert Luke), but we know he was extremly weakened by conflict.

I think both Luke and Vader were significantly conflicted.

Galan007
Or Vader could have been 99.9% dark side and .1% light side at the onset... We don't know either way. Not all conflict is created equal.

So until we get some legitimate confirmation that Vader was massively conflicted during RotJ, I don't really feel confident in assuming that his power was intended to be significantly hindered by default.

But given the fluidity of new canon, it's always subject to change.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Galan007
but he was still loyal to Palpatine initially

https://64.media.tumblr.com/a47496d19ea661fe31b380c117ea9410/tumblr_nykzvmLMjG1rtpbuxo6_r1_400.gif

Galan007
thumb up

Massive attitude change between ESB and RotJ.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.