Vulcan vs Sersi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophía
Who wins?

leonidas
hmm, tough one. vulcan has some pretty good tp resistance and she doesn't really use tp offensively anyway. if sersi were an idiot and tried energy projection or tried getting physical, she'd lose for sure, but i don't think he would have an answer for being transmuted. he'd have to muck with the energy in her brain before she had a chance to turn him into a tree or something since it's hard to see him dealing with the transmutational energy. could be a quick draw, but his meddling in her brain wouldn't be something he'd lead with, but transmutation may not be her first go-to either.

in general, sersi and at their best, sersi, but that doesn't mean vulcan can take a couple--unless someone can make a case for his being able to do something once he's been changed into a glass statue or something....

StyleTime
Originally posted by leonidas
hmm, tough one. vulcan has some pretty good tp resistance and she doesn't really use tp offensively anyway. if sersi were an idiot and tried energy projection or tried getting physical, she'd lose for sure, but i don't think he would have an answer for being transmuted. he'd have to muck with the energy in her brain before she had a chance to turn him into a tree or something since it's hard to see him dealing with the transmutational energy. could be a quick draw, but his meddling in her brain wouldn't be something he'd lead with, but transmutation may not be her first go-to either.

in general, sersi and at their best, sersi, but that doesn't mean vulcan can take a couple--unless someone can make a case for his being able to do something once he's been changed into a glass statue or something....

Nah. Don't let the Vulcan fanboys get you with that myth. Their whole idea of Vulcan centers around cropped scans, unsupported fan theories, and sometimes outright lies. I didn't even know how ridiculous his wiki entries were, until I realized folks must be getting that misinformation from somewhere and checked them out.

I agree that Sersi turns him into a PS5 though.

StiltmanFTW
StyleTimeUniverse:

https://i.redd.it/nk27zmrnwpc41.jpg

MrMind
styletime repsects matriarchy unlike you sexist pigs

PIGSSSSS

StyleTime
True. Mulan or Buffy would be a major problem for Vulcan.

StiltmanFTW
Coming soon.

StyleTime: Origin one-shot

Adopted by lesbians.

Mutilated his own penis while cursing and spitting at it.

Crushed his testicles with a dumbbell.

Always fighting for women's rights, never surrendering.

Stiltman's worst nightmare.

https://i.imgflip.com/4zd1y4.jpg

StyleTime
Stilt and Style's final battle at the end of the world.

https://youtu.be/IdyXKJ8NcNI

leonidas
Originally posted by StyleTime
Nah. Don't let the Vulcan fanboys get you with that myth. Their whole idea of Vulcan centers around cropped scans, unsupported fan theories, and sometimes outright lies. I didn't even know how ridiculous his wiki entries were, until I realized folks must be getting that misinformation from somewhere and checked them out.

I agree that Sersi turns him into a PS5 though.

i wasn't really relying on anyone or even any particular scans--it was more a general sense of things. i know he broke out of a mental trap against the guard, and i don't recall him being own by any of the x-men's telepaths, which is itself quite a feat. i also recall in his early appearances his mind being tricky to read or attack, though his earliest appearances are muddled by his combined power set.

you have something specific in mind that suggests he isn't at least pretty solid against tp?

StyleTime
Sorry to just drop requotes of myself, but this same issue comes up every year.
i wasn't really relying on anyone or even any particular scans--it was more a general sense of things. i know he broke out of a mental trap against the guard, and i don't recall him being own by any of the x-men's telepaths, which is itself quite a feat. i also recall in his early appearances his mind being tricky to read or attack, though his earliest appearances are muddled by his combined power set.

you have something specific in mind that suggests he isn't at least pretty solid against tp?
He didn't overcome the Guard's trap through mental defense though.
Nightshade and Oracle cast an illusion, then Mentor tried talking to him. It all worked, which Vulcan also admits. They just didn't try shutting down his powers or anything though, so he blasted the area. Imagine if Oracle just psi-bolted him and called it a day?

If you fired a gun at my feet to make me back off, but I knocked you out with a punch, it doesn't mean I'm bulletproof. It just means you didn't shoot me.
Rachel separates Darwin, who merged with Vulcan, bestowing the powers of his forner squad in the process. Rachel got in his head just fine when she split them apart too.

https://postimg.cc/CRj0QYQ1
https://postimg.cc/qNf0wgQS

Vulcan then flew away, and it seemed like Emma could have mind****ed him had he stayed.

https://postimg.cc/87TXTSCs

I'm just not seeimg his tp defense. Especially since he needed Oracle in every subsequent arc, where he had no amp and didn't ambush.

And when he was younger, Xavier built an entire mental world for him to live and train in, unbeknownst to Vulcan.
https://postimg.cc/yJdrHkSB

Vulcan has demonstrated no TP defense. It's really just Vulcan fans' wishful thinking, and stretching the Rachel ambush far beyond what it was(she didn't even use TP on him there). People reference his proximity to X-telepaths in Deadly Genesis, but none of them actually tried to attack him. Xavier was depowered. Emma was out of range. Rachel only tried at the end, and it worked fine, granted it wasn't an attack per se.

leonidas
you could be right. i'll disagree that a psi bolt would have taken him out though. i think he is more than durable enough to handle it, and psi bolts will affect people with or without tp defense.

i also think a lot of what you showed were passive uses of tp--SOMETIMES the results of passive vs offensive tp are different. i'm thinking of times people have gotten into hulk's head for example, but when he wants them out he usually gets his way.

your points are definitely fair though. but without actually seeing him taken out by a tp attack, i'm still not convinced he has no defenses. the proof to suggest he does though is...sketchy at best. thumb up

StiltmanFTW
Stilt and Style's final battle at the end of the world.

https://youtu.be/IdyXKJ8NcNI

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Accurate thumb up

StyleTime
you could be right. i'll disagree that a psi bolt would have taken him out though. i think he is more than durable enough to handle it, and psi bolts will affect people with or without tp defense.

i also think a lot of what you showed were passive uses of tp--SOMETIMES the results of passive vs offensive tp are different. i'm thinking of times people have gotten into hulk's head for example, but when he wants them out he usually gets his way.

your points are definitely fair though. but without actually seeing him taken out by a tp attack, i'm still not convinced he has no defenses. the proof to suggest he does though is...sketchy at best. thumb up
Hulk actually has feats of kicking people out of his head, or similar, though. I would agree some of these aren't active attacks, but they were unwelcome intrusions. The Nightside/Oracle thing was pretty unambiguous though. They attacked him with an illusion mid-fight, and it worked. They just decided to talk him down from there. He never actually broke the illusion. I disagree on the psi-bolt thing, but that's ultimately a side issue I guess.

I don't usually take hardline stances like this, but it feels so cut and dry here. We have multiple instances of folks getting into his head, but, literally, zero instances of him ever resisting telepathic attacks. Despite that, this fan made myth of Vulcan's mental resistance persists.

Why give him the benefit of the doubt when all the evidence points to him being mentally vulnerable with zero resistance feats saying otherwise? If folks claim he has TP defense, it shouldn't be hard to show it. If I made this claim about Amora, Fantomex, Juggernaught, Magneto, Superman etc, I could back those up with scans.

I won't drone on about it for pages upon pages, and everyone is welcome to their opinion of course; however, I feel like the burden of proof is on the opposition here. Those who think Vulcan has TP defense need to cough up the showings. (There are none btw.)

StiltmanFTW
Think I get what you're saying.

Vulcan is vastly more powerful than Cyke, yet it should be much easier arguing that Scott could "tank" psionic assaults than Gabriel.

Because. Cyke. Has. Feats.

Same with Wolverine cutting through shit Laura wouldn't be able to scratch... shifty

Sin I AM
Lol people pushing sersi like they read eternals

StyleTime
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Think I get what you're saying.

Vulcan is vastly more powerful than Cyke, yet it should be much easier arguing that Scott could "tank" psionic assaults than Gabriel.

Because. Cyke. Has. Feats.

thumb up

I'm not even asking for high end immunity type stuff, like Enchantress blocking Red Onslaught. Even people with just general resistance/training: Wolverine, Thor, Gambit, Cyke, Mystique, etc--they all have resistance feats that Vulcan cries himself to sleep wishing he had.

And it's not like Vulcan is obscure. He was the centerpiece for multiple arcs and events that dominated an entire section of the Marvel universe for years.

Granted, said arcs were mostly garbage.
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Same with Wolverine cutting through shit Laura wouldn't be able to scratch... shifty
http://pa1.narvii.com/6099/197311d783a5f02fb873665fb0eb1ecda4e5a9f1_hq.gif

leonidas

And it's not like Vulcan is obscure. He was the centerpiece for multiple arcs and events that dominated an entire section of the Marvel universe for years.

which is, i guess, part of my hesitation. in all that time, i could argue that someone at some point, given all the telepaths in the x-men and even the guard, should have taken him down with tp. but no one did. getting into someone's head is not the same thing as taking someone down. i'm not saying chuck was incapable of taking him out psionically--i'm just saying that since i didn't see it happen, i question the idea that he's as defenseless as you are suggesting.

truth is though, i'm not invested enough in the topic to really dig into it. you have a strong case, but since no one ever took him out with tp, that missing final coffin nail leaves room for doubt.

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

I'm not even asking for high end immunity type stuff, like Enchantress blocking Red Onslaught. Even people with just general resistance/training: Wolverine, Thor, Gambit, Cyke, Mystique, etc--they all have resistance feats that Vulcan cries himself to sleep wishing he had.

Yeah.

We can't just automatically assume uber characters are tp-proof; they need to give us something to work with first.

http://pa1.narvii.com/6099/197311d783a5f02fb873665fb0eb1ecda4e5a9f1_hq.gif

You edited too late. I see everything.

Normally, I'd never post this, but since I love derailing threats and I'm really, really, really fed up with Thot-23... let's get this party started:

https://i.ibb.co/R0XffPT/str01.png

https://i.ibb.co/55yw7d3/str02.png

Adam Grimes
I guess Prime is immune to TP as well, because nobody ever even attempted to attack his mind. 👍🏻

StyleTime
which is, i guess, part of my hesitation. in all that time, i could argue that someone at some point, given all the telepaths in the x-men and even the guard, should have taken him down with tp. but no one did. getting into someone's head is not the same thing as taking someone down. i'm not saying chuck was incapable of taking him out psionically--i'm just saying that since i didn't see it happen, i question the idea that he's as defenseless as you are suggesting.

truth is though, i'm not invested enough in the topic to really dig into it. you have a strong case, but since no one ever took him out with tp, that missing final coffin nail leaves room for doubt.
He was only around the X-Men for his introduction though. Xavier was powerless at the time, and Emma arrived after the conflict was over.

Then he flew to space, where 95% of his career occurred, with the Guard working for him. Rachel was his only consistent telepathic opponent, and he kept Oracle around to block her.

https://postimg.cc/s1P11vyh

I guess I don't see when a telepath could have actually attacked him. Oracle was with him for essentially his whole run and explicitly protected him from mental assaults. She is fairly strong despite not showing up often.

leonidas
that's your most convincing bit of proof imo. thumb up

DarkSaint85
Yeah I never rated Vulcan's TP resistance.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.