Are battlezones possible in the gdf ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ilikecomics
Hi I really like the cbvf and the people over there do battle zones.
Could that format be adapted to this forum ?

Kind of like a debate series.

Thoughts ?

Klaw
I would love to see it.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by Klaw
I would love to see it.

I would love to participate.
A good disagreement can leave everyone a little wiser.
Idk if people are passionate enough about anything to argue it here, in that format.

The work done for the bzs over on cbvf seem labor intensive.

Impediment
The GDF is for general discussions.

Why battle zone and what?

Blakemore
The gdf is the danger zone

Quincy
like a battlezone about political and philosophical issues?

Impediment

Blakemore
Lmc had a debates forum before I joined. I heard it didn't work and everyone kept abusing the report button

ilikecomics
@ imp the battle zones on cbvf are also civil. The point is to win so if you spend your post bashing instead of winning, then you'll lose.

Over there it's usually two people, or four if it's team.
No one else is supposed to post in the bz while the bz is happening

You build your case in a huge opening post. Over there you use scans for evidence, but here you could use links of articles/videos.

Then there's three judges.

I think of argumentation in the classic way, which is:

the action or process of reasoning systematically in support of an idea, action, or theory.

So if someone is bashing or being rude, they automatically aren't in an argumentation from my pov, but I still try to see the point they're making and respond.

The person on this board I have the hardest time talking to is entheo, because of his strong christian beliefs, but when I'm not interacting with him he seems cool.

If we could all be adults, something like this could help us all. And if you think it's dumb and don't wanna play, you could go to your own side of the play ground.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by Quincy
like a battlezone about political and philosophical issues?

Yes, and anything and everything In between, but with the caveat that archiving the debate in a systemic way is the goal.

Right now it's a free for all in every thread.
so there's nuggets of wisdom here or there, then 20 posts of people calling the people they don't agree with disingenuous, then thumbs upping the things they agree with.

So very rarely people come away from here without having their opinion changed all that much. I'd like to change that so we can all learn a little more.

But maybe I'm being quixotic. Sometimes i get stoned and feel like this is a hidden special place and I want to help wake it back up.

smokin'

ilikecomics
Originally posted by Blakemore
Lmc had a debates forum before I joined. I heard it didn't work and everyone kept abusing the report button

I don't think I've ever used the report button. It feelsl like cyber sntiching.

Quincy
Originally posted by ilikecomics
Yes, and anything and everything In between, but with the caveat that archiving the debate in a systemic way is the goal.

Right now it's a free for all in every thread.
so there's nuggets of wisdom here or there, then 20 posts of people calling the people they don't agree with disingenuous, then thumbs upping the things they agree with.

So very rarely people come away from here without having their opinion changed all that much. I'd like to change that so we can all learn a little more.

But maybe I'm being quixotic. Sometimes i get stoned and feel like this is a hidden special place and I want to help wake it back up.

smokin'

I feel like lately we've gotten to a place where people are having much more civil conversations with each other. Some members still take shots at the other side, but the name-calling and idiocy has taken a backseat, and I feel like more members have been actually listening to each other.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by Quincy
I feel like lately we've gotten to a place where people are having much more civil conversations with each other. Some members still take shots at the other side, but the name-calling and idiocy has taken a backseat, and I feel like more members have been actually listening to each other.

With that being said, would you agree that uncivilized bashing/trolling is the least effective way to spread good ideas, and that how it is now is an evolution towards the good ?

Would a structured arena of ideas be the logical conclusion on that sliding scale, or is there something better ?

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and everything is as it should be ?

I think what I'm proposing would be good because most people have convictions they care about, most of the posters are male and i would think would enjoy competition in a friendly vein.

NemeBro
It can be hard to find unbiased judges for inconsequential bullshit like versus debates, how hard do you imagine it would be to find them for shit that actually matters like politics or social issues?

ilikecomics
Originally posted by NemeBro
It can be hard to find unbiased judges for inconsequential bullshit like versus debates, how hard do you imagine it would be to find them for shit that actually matters like politics or social issues?

I don't think the judges in the cbvf are unbiased. Everyone has pet characters etc.

I think instead of judging who won, it could be judged on who argued their point most cogently, or some other criteria.

I'm a libertarian, I don't think I would win a debate here, but even if I did everyone on the forum wouldn't flip to being a libertarian, and that wouldn't be my goal. My goal is to get people to think more critically and philosophically, and I think there's no better way to do that than through discourse.

What are you thoughts on how to find judges, that would be reliable actors ?

To me the caricature of comic fans are autistic fanboys, and yet civility happens over there just fine.

Klaw
@ilikecomics, what kind of Libertarian are you?

ilikecomics
Originally posted by Klaw
@ilikecomics, what kind of Libertarian are you?

Misean/Rothbardian/hoppean

ilikecomics
Here is how they do it in cbvf. Their battlezone is pinned as a special area

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t673452.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.