The "Amityville Horror" murderer has died at age 69

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eThneoLgrRnae

Blakemore
American rednecks call petroleum "gas" .... It's a liquid. If you can't figure out the difference between a gas and a liquid, you have mental problems.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Blakemore
American rednecks call petroleum "gas" .... It's a liquid. If you can't figure out the difference between a gas and a liquid, you have mental problems.

All Americans call it gas. It is short for gasoline, which is synonymous with petrol.

Blakemore
It's a liquid

StyleTime
Yes, but we're not referring to the state of matter when we say "gas." As Adam explained, we use a shortened form of the word "gasoline" in America. It's actually more accurate than "petroleum", as there are many different petroleum derived products. Gasoline is the specific mixture usually used as car fuel.

Also, words can have multiple meanings. "Bow" can refer to the weapon that shoots arrows, but "bow" can also refer to a decorative ribbon you put in your hair.

Actually, since we mentioned states of matter, plasma is another good example. "Plasma" can refer to this, but "plasma" can also refer to a part of your blood.

ilikecomics
Homophones be esoteric as hell, apparently.

StyleTime
Pretty much. Context is important in language. "Bow", "bow", "bow", and "bow" are four different words despite being spelled and pronounced exactly the same.

And then there's "bow", which is a homograph of "bow", but a homophone of "bough."

There's only so many sounds we can make, so languages get wacky in certain areas. Since, sense, cents, scents.

Blakemore
Bow is a part of a ship, right?

samhain
The English language goes overboard with the homophones, homographs and homonyms IMO but I also find the gas short for gasoline thing slightly strange, like if an American asks me if I can smell gas, what does my brain tell my nose palate to look out for?

Blakemore
Petroleum is a liquid.

Klaw
Did you know, there's a board game that combines strategy, exciting action, and good old fashioned fun?

That's right.

I'm talking about Risk.

The classic board game by Hasbro is one of the worlds' best selling board games.

Build your army, defend your territory, and conquer the world with military precision.

Available in stores everywhere.

http://boardgamereviewed.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Risk-Board-Game-Box.jpg

Risk, the classic game of world domination.

Artol
Pretty good game.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Artol
Pretty good game.

Of course it is but the reason he posted that is because he is trolling me because of a post I made over on Discord. I was trying to give Broly helpful suggestions on games on PS4 he could play with his gf. Apparently, that was hilarious according to some of the weirdos over there.

They've never actually tried the videogame version of the classic tabletop game. They just stupidly assumed that any boardgame made into a videogame would suck.

However, back when I was still playing Risk on the PS3 lots of people were still playing it online. It was very popular. They put battle animations in the game to make it more exciting.

The game only costed about ten dollars in the playstation stire.It was well worth at least that much for all the fun I had gotten out if it. Certainly a much better game than childish Mario games which I grew out of long ago but that Broly and Klaw still play apparently lmao.

Artol

Blakemore
And petrol is a liquid. smile

eThneoLgrRnae

Trocity
I play monopoly and uno on my PS4 with my gf.

I also play poker on it.

Blakemore
I play chess

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Trocity
I play monopoly and uno on my PS4 with my gf.

I also play poker on it.

Yeah, I have Monopoly and it was fun for a while but now it is just boring. There is a way you can easily abuse the AI so that you never lose. If you can find several other human players to play with it's still fun though.

I have a poker game as well. It's a Texas Hold'em game. Can never find other human players to play with but the single player tournaments are pretty fun and challenging.

Blakemore
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, I have Monopoly and it was fun for a while but now it is just boring. There is a way you can easily abuse the AI so that you never lose. If you can find several other human players to play with it's still fun though.

I have a poker game as well. It's a Texas Hold'em game. Can never find other human players to play with but the single player tournaments are pretty fun and challenging. I'll play texas holdem with you

eThneoLgrRnae
I'll play texas holdem with you

You'd lose, Blakey.

eThneoLgrRnae
If you are good at handling defeat then ok. Come over to PS3 and try me.

Trocity
Is it prominence poker you play?

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Trocity
Is it prominence poker you play?

No, it's called "High Stakes on the Vegas Strip Poker Edition".

Blakemore
I don't have a ps3

eThneoLgrRnae
I don't have a ps3

Oh well, too bad then.

eThneoLgrRnae
How about an xbox 360? I also have one of those but I don't currently have an XBOX Live account... or Gold account or whatever it's called that allows you to play online games.

I could be persuaded to get one though if I found someone who wanted to play poker or , especially XCOM Enemy Within.

Blakemore
Still no. Sorry.

eThneoLgrRnae
Too bad.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Of course it is but the reason he posted that is because he is trolling me because of a post I made over on Discord. I was trying to give Broly helpful suggestions on games on PS4 he could play with his gf. Apparently, that was hilarious according to some of the weirdos over there.

They've never actually tried the videogame version of the classic tabletop game. They just stupidly assumed that any boardgame made into a videogame would suck.

However, back when I was still playing Risk on the PS3 lots of people were still playing it online. It was very popular. They put battle animations in the game to make it more exciting.

The game only costed about ten dollars in the playstation stire.It was well worth at least that much for all the fun I had gotten out if it. Certainly a much better game than childish Mario games which I grew out of long ago but that Broly and Klaw still play apparently lmao.

My family used to drop everything we were doing once a month to play risk on the sega genesis. I revisited it as a young adult and it still slapped.
Not sure why the paint job matters, when strategy is the meat and potatoes of the game.

I love risk.

StyleTime
Originally posted by samhain
The English language goes overboard with the homophones, homographs and homonyms IMO but I also find the gas short for gasoline thing slightly strange, like if an American asks me if I can smell gas, what does my brain tell my nose palate to look out for?
As I said, context matters. If you're just in an office building, then we'd use "gas" the same way anyone else would. If we smell gasoline specifically, then we'd use the full word, "gasoline." If you're driving and say "I need to get some gas", it's pretty clear you mean fuel for your car.

Everyone constantly makes subconscious observations about context in everyday language. It's important for communication. This one only seems strange to you since it's new to you.

For example, you don't get confused if someone says "cool." Without context, that could mean 800 different things: the temperature, someone's personality, the quality of a movie, it could be an affirmation of an idea, etc.

If someone asked "got a light?", they're probably asking for a lighter to ignite a cigarette. If we're on a camping trip and it's dark out, that same question could suddenly be referring to a flashlight.

We don't get tripped up on these things because we evolved to understand language.
Petroleum is a liquid.
Cool. It's still not gasoline though.

It's like referring to any dairy product as "milk." Yogurt, butter, and cheese are different things, even if they are derived from milk. It's the same for gasoline, kerosine, and most diesel fuel.

Did you know the term "gasoline(spelled 'gasolene' then)" actually predates "petrol"? That was its original name. eek!

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by ilikecomics
My family used to drop everything we were doing once a month to play risk on the sega genesis. I revisited it as a young adult and it still slapped.
Not sure why the paint job matters, when strategy is the meat and potatoes of the game.

I love risk.

Yeah, strategy with a massive helping of luck thrown in. But yeah, it's a great game I agree. Risk Urban Assault is a great spin on the classic version of game and it's lots of fun as well. It is also sold in Playstation Store.

Blakemore
Petroleum, diesel and kerosene are hydrocarbons that are extracted from crude oil. They are then used as fuel for travel. Moron! Yes, ok, it can evaporate as a gas. Propane does as well 😂 but the petrol you put in your car is still a liquid!

eThneoLgrRnae
Here's the short launch trailer for when the game first came out:

https://youtu.be/_LccUBEfOls

You can see that the battle animations are pretty cool. IRIS is a nice addition to the game as well. I actually named one of my kitties after her because I liked her so much lol.

Blakemore
I'll call my cat "gas mong" from now on

StyleTime
Petroleum, diesel and kerosene are hydrocarbons that are extracted from crude oil. They are then used as fuel for travel. Moron!

Yes, ok, it can evaporate as a gas. Propane does as well 😂 but the petrol you put in your car is still a liquid!
...right. Never said otherwise.

Again, no one ever said it was a gas. We pointed out that it's short for "gasoline", and most folks in America say it, when you said only rednecks use the term.

You do you though, bro. thumb up

samhain
Originally posted by StyleTime
As I said, context matters. If you're just in an office building, then we'd use "gas" the same way anyone else would. If we smell gasoline specifically, then we'd use the full word, "gasoline." If you're driving and say "I need to get some gas", it's pretty clear you mean fuel for your car.

Everyone constantly makes subconscious observations about context in everyday language. It's important for communication. This one only seems strange to you since it's new to you.

For example, you don't get confused if someone says "cool." Without context, that could mean 800 different things: the temperature, someone's personality, the quality of a movie, it could be an affirmation of an idea, etc.

If someone asked "got a light?", they're probably asking for a lighter to ignite a cigarette. If we're on a camping trip and it's dark out, that same question could suddenly be referring to a flashlight.

We don't get tripped up on these things because we evolved to understand language.

I was being hyperbolic, I don't think anyone who has seen at least one episode of an American TV show doesn't know gas can be short for gasoline, it's hardly new to me.

StyleTime
I was being hyperbolic, I don't think anyone who has seen at least one episode of an American TV show doesn't know gas can be short for gasoline, it's hardly new to me.
Oh, my bad. thumb up

Blakemore is making it hard to tell the jokes from the serious statements. ermm

Blakemore
...right. Never said otherwise.

Again, no one ever said it was a gas. We pointed out that it's short for "gasoline", and most folks in America say it, when you said only rednecks use the term.

You do you though, bro. thumb up why call it gasoline? Or gas? It's obviously liquid petroleum. Dozy yank rednecks

Robtard
why call it gasoline? Or gas? It's obviously liquid petroleum. Dozy yank rednecks

TBF, when you fart it's more liquid than gas.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Robtard
TBF, when you fart it's more liquid than gas. my farts are gaseous.

Robtard
Guess we could just call it "guzzolene" like in Mad Max

Blakemore
Gasoline might as well be applied to propane, butane or any kind of alkane. It's a liquid that can evaporate into a gas. It must be gas o line 😅

Dozy yank rednecks

StyleTime
The English came up with the name gasoline(gasolene). It's thought to have descended from the name Cazeline, an earlier commercial form of gasoline from John Cassel. He used his last name in the name of the product. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gasoline https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cassell

Then it became "gasoline" over time. At least, that's what I found from looking into it.

You may be shocked to find that "gasohol" also exists.

Blakemore
Water aka H2O vapourises into a gas, I'm sorry, I'll americanise it.da warter become a gaasss cos da molecules become all loose n stuff.so warter become a gaasss like petroleum diesel and kerosenesmile

StyleTime
The English came up with the name gasoline(gasolene).
thumb up

Blakemore
So let's call water steamine

samhain
Oh, my bad. thumb up

Blakemore is making it hard to tell the jokes from the serious statements. ermm

No problem.

I think Blakey is trying to bait Ethneo, but it seems like he is being true to his word so far and staying away.

Blakemore
What 😅

eThneoLgrRnae
No problem.

I think Blakey is trying to bait Ethneo, but it seems like he is being true to his word so far and staying away.

No, I said I was leaving after I posted one last thread over in religion forum which I plan on doing sometime today.

As for Blake, yeah, he does that a lot but he is far from being the only one who does it. That's a major reason that I'm taking an extended break from this place.

Blakemore
You can leave whenever you want. Please do.

Impediment
Off topic AF.

Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.