Teen Vogue Editor Alexi McCammond Quits Over Past Racist Tweets

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Klaw
Source.

Her statement about her resignation.

Klaw
I love the comments on her Twitter, the Left imploding.

cdtm
Originally posted by Klaw
Source.

Her statement about her resignation.

An interesting tweet.

Who says something like that? That there are other qualified people, or that you should have stepped down right when this "community" told you to.

I smell a hit job. Two people wanted the same job, one dug up dirt on the other, and assured her promotion.

jaden_2.0
So is it good or bad that people get "cancelled" over tweets from years ago?

Seems people can't make up their minds.

cdtm
Originally posted by cdtm
An interesting tweet.

Who says something like that? That there are other qualified people, or that you should have stepped down right when this "community" told you to.

I smell a hit job. Two people wanted the same job, one dug up dirt on the other, and assured her promotion.

Followed the tweeter.

Seems she's genuinely against minorities being marketed to. Lot of anger at civil rights profit motivated exploitation.

That's awesome.

They're also out of their minds, which is also good.

Trocity
Silly girl. Her mistake was the demographic. Should have just directed her hate at white people and she'd have been promoted.

Raptor22
From what ive read she hasn't said anything nearly bad enough to make me not want to have sex with her.

ArtificialGlory

cdtm
One of the guys there looks like a right wing demagogue. Trailer park, desert wasteland, trucker cap, and tank top.

Insists he never said a racist thing even as a kid.

Klaw
Originally posted by Trocity
Silly girl. Her mistake was the demographic. Should have just directed her hate at white people and she'd have been promoted.

And hailed a hero.

Artol
If the shooting of the Asian women hadn't happened I think it is unlikely there would have been enough outrage and political will to get her to lose her job. It is also a way for these companies to seem like they are doing something about the rise in racism against Asians, basically a way to wash their hands of it, while really doing nothing.

From her POV very unlucky timing.

cdtm
Originally posted by Artol
If the shooting of the Asian women hadn't happened I think it is unlikely there would have been enough outrage and political will to get her to lose her job. It is also a way for these companies to seem like they are doing something about the rise in racism against Asians, basically a way to wash their hands of it, while really doing nothing.

From her POV very unlucky timing.

Starting to look like the motive was sex addiction.

Won't help the cause, if this turns into a "Oops, we jumped the gun again. Moving on."

Artol
Starting to look like the motive was sex addiction.

Won't help the cause, if this turns into a "Oops, we jumped the gun again. Moving on."

I don't know whether you can really jump the gun when a mass murderer clearly targets asian women. I do think there are many aspects to it though, like it's not just Asian racism, it's also misogyny, this killer fits kind of into the mold of killers like Elliot Rodgers in their hatred of women and blame for what women allegedly do to them, it's also a hatred of sex workers, and then there's the aspect that these were mainly poorer working women. There's just a lot of different aspect the killing spree is a reflection of, imo.

StyleTime
It appears she voluntarily resigned. She wasn't "cancelled".

It's not that people think cancel culture is a fiction. It's just much, or even most, of it is exagerrated. Keep in mind, she hasn't claimed she was wronged in any way. Despite that, the "free speech/anti-SJW" brigade is raging again.

It's almost as if they don't actually care, and just whine because they feel lost another battle to the "leftist" boogeyman.

Bashar Teg
yup. it even says that she quit in the op article's.title

cdtm
Originally posted by StyleTime
It appears she voluntarily resigned. She wasn't "cancelled".

It's not that people think cancel culture is a fiction. It's just much, or even most, of it is exagerrated. Keep in mind, she hasn't claimed she was wronged in any way. Despite that, the "free speech/anti-SJW" brigade is raging again.

It's almost as if they don't actually care, and just whine because they feel lost another battle to the "leftist" boogeyman.

Read the twitter feeds. The lynch mobs are real.

"What is this about growth? I never said a racist thing when I was a kid!"

"**** these apologists, I never once in my life said this, at any age."

Because people don't mature at different rates, or in different ways.

Plus the fact they're inadvertently arguing against rehab for criminals, because a tiger can't change their stripes.

cdtm
Originally posted by Artol
I don't know whether you can really jump the gun when a mass murderer clearly targets asian women. I do think there are many aspects to it though, like it's not just Asian racism, it's also misogyny, this killer fits kind of into the mold of killers like Elliot Rodgers in their hatred of women and blame for what women allegedly do to them, it's also a hatred of sex workers, and then there's the aspect that these were mainly poorer working women. There's just a lot of different aspect the killing spree is a reflection of, imo.

If massage parlors employ asian women though... Could have as easily been whoever was working there.

Agreed on the misogyny.

StyleTime
Read the twitter feeds. The lynch mobs are real.

"What is this about growth? I never said a racist thing when I was a kid!"

"**** these apologists, I never once in my life said this, at any age."

Because people don't mature at different rates, or in different ways.

Plus the fact they're inadvertently arguing against rehab for criminals, because a tiger can't change their stripes.
Right, and I agree some people don't allow for change and growth. They don't literally have a cancel switch though. If they did, Trump wouldn't have been President. She chose to leave.

And their opponents on Twitter are now upset that they "lost" an argument to the other Twitter faction. They don't actually care about her job or livelihood.
If massage parlors employ asian women though... Could have as easily been whoever was working there.

Agreed on the misogyny.
At the same time, he could have targeted other sex workers too if it was just general temptation that he had a problem with.

But he didn't.

Bashar Teg
and yet she wasn't cancelled. anyhoo...

cdtm
Right, and I agree some people don't allow for change and growth. They don't literally have a cancel switch though. If they did, Trump wouldn't have been President. She chose to leave.

And their opponents on Twitter are now upset that they "lost" an argument to the other Twitter faction. They don't actually care about her job or livelihood.

At the same time, he could have targeted other sex workers too if it was just general temptation that he had a problem with.

But he didn't.

If the massage parlors are where he gets his sex from, why would he?

The point of cancel culture, is to exploit a businesses skittishness at hurting their bottom line.

The irony is, they use controversy all the time to pad that same bottom line. Its only when one of their own becomes the subject of a controversy, that they immediately cut their losses.

That's why Telemundo unceremoniously fired Rodner Figueroa for perceived racism.

And I use the word perceived deliberately, because it was obviously unintentional, looking at the context. A mixed race gay fashion critic, commenting on Michelle Obama's makeup. He cited "Planet of the Apes" as a comparison of bad makeup work. Anyone that actually looks at the context can know that. The executives at the Telemundo probably knew it. He was sacrificed for damage control.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/miami-com/miami-com-news/article225768630.html

People see this, and will absolutely try and get people fired over it for no reason at all. Just the lulz, because they can.

If companies actually stood behind their workers, this wouldn't be an issue. Fire people that deserve it, yes, but actually make sure of it first.

StyleTime

He targeted Asian women for sex. Then he targeted them for murder.

Again, there are many sex workers he could have gone after, both for sex or violence. He chose these. As Artol said, it's unlikely this is entirely based on race though. This is why intersectionality is key. Also, women are included in hate crime laws in GA since last year apparently, so he's not in the clear even if they can't prove he was fixated on race too.

The point of cancel culture, is to exploit a businesses skittishness at hurting their bottom line.

The irony is, they use controversy all the time to pad that same bottom line. Its only when one of their own becomes the subject of a controversy, that they immediately cut their losses.

That's why Telemundo unceremoniously fired Rodner Figueroa for perceived racism.

And I use the word perceived deliberately, because it was obviously unintentional, looking at the context. A mixed race gay fashion critic, commenting on Michelle Obama's makeup. He cited "Planet of the Apes" as a comparison of bad makeup work. Anyone that actually looks at the context can know that. The executives at the Telemundo probably knew it. He was sacrificed for damage control.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/miami-com/miami-com-news/article225768630.html

People see this, and will absolutely try and get people fired over it for no reason at all. Just the lulz, because they can.

If companies actually stood behind their workers, this wouldn't be an issue. Fire people that deserve it, yes, but actually make sure of it first.
No, he was fired for being unprofessional and making a dickhead comment. Even his co-host apparently tried to give him a way out and he doubled down on it. He wasn't born on Mars, and knows the history behind a comparison like that. The idea that being gay or mixed raced somehow mitigates that is absurd.

Additionally, Univision fired him on their own. There was no "cancel culture Twitter mob" behind it. Univision has long dealt with their own accusations of racial bias, so they are probably more sensitive to it now.

And on top of that, he essentially got a vacation, as he was hired on another show anyway. eek! This narrative that one comment forever ruins you because of the cancel culture boogeyman is ridiculous and untrue. They said the same thing about Louis CK, and now Chris D'elia and Bryan Callen.

Oh, you mean they took a year off and came back still rich and able to work? Yeah, totally cancelled. thumb up

cdtm
He targeted Asian women for sex. Then he targeted them for murder.

Again, there are many sex workers he could have gone after, both for sex or violence. He chose these. As Artol said, it's unlikely this is entirely based on race though. This is why intersectionality is key. Also, women are included in hate crime laws in GA since last year apparently, so he's not in the clear even if they can't prove he was fixated on race too.

No, he was fired for being unprofessional and making a dickhead comment. Even his co-host apparently tried to give him a way out and he doubled down on it. He wasn't born on Mars, and knows the history behind a comparison like that. The idea that being gay or mixed raced somehow mitigates that is absurd.

Additionally, Univision fired him on their own. There was no "cancel culture Twitter mob" behind it. Univision has long dealt with their own accusations of racial bias, so they are probably more sensitive to it now.

And on top of that, he essentially got a vacation, as he was hired on another show anyway. eek! This narrative that one comment forever ruins you because of the cancel culture boogeyman is ridiculous and untrue. They said the same thing about Louis CK, and now Chris D'elia and Bryan Callen.

Oh, you mean they took a year off and came back still rich and able to work? Yeah, totally cancelled. thumb up

I don't know, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. There's no reason why he'd intentionally aim for a racist comment.

He's a makeup stylist who had tunnel vision, and made an unfortunate comparison without thinking it through.

I understand your point about sex workers. What I'm saying, is the places he goes to may hire mostly asian workers.

If he never goes for, say, truckstop hookers, then his choice is Asian or nothing.

cdtm
Its like if someone opens up on computer programmers, and kills nothing but Indians.

That could happen simply because most of the programmers happen to be Indian. Not because of racist targeting.

StyleTime

I should also add, that yes, businesses often co-op social messages for monetary gain. A really gross example was that dumb commercial from Pepsi some years back. It was a rare example of the public seeing how transparent they are, and the negative backlash causing them to remove the ad. Pepsi was essentially saying "be a part of the revolution....by giving the multi-national super corporation money!" It was really stupid.

Sure. I'd agree in situations like that. But "standing behind" your workers would be paying them living wages instead of giving the executives infinitely expanding wallets. Solidarity is not excusing dumb comments from people paid to be public brand ambassadors, like Rodner.

StyleTime
I don't know, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. There's no reason why he'd intentionally aim for a racist comment.

He's a makeup stylist who had tunnel vision, and made an unfortunate comparison without thinking it through.

I understand your point about sex workers. What I'm saying, is the places he goes to may hire mostly asian workers.

If he never goes for, say, truckstop hookers, then his choice is Asian or nothing.
I don't think people think he's racist, and I'm not even saying firing is required. I'm just saying the effects of most "cancel culture" outcomes feel exaggerated. People can be obnoxious on Twitter, sure. He appears to be fine though, and it's not like he shouldn't have known better.

Right. I'm saying he likely chose to go find Asian sex workers though, as he could have hit up other places if he had no preference.
Its like if someone opens up on computer programmers, and kills nothing but Indians.

That could happen simply because most of the programmers happen to be Indian. Not because of racist targeting.
That implies some randomness in the computer's programming though.

This guy probably wanted to have sex with Asian women specifically, so he went to where he'd find them. It's not the same, as he's likely selecting these people.

Bashar Teg
no wait he's on to something...there does always seem to be only asian prostitutes in asian cat houses. that can't just be a coincidence

cdtm
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
no wait he's on to something...there does always seem to be only asian prostitutes in asian cat houses. that can't just be a coincidence

Touche. 😏

He's a misogynistic pervert with an asian fetish, that much is obvious.

Whether he went on a hate filled murder of asians, because they are asians, or he had other motivations, is the speculatory part.

Not that it really matters, he's a scum bag murderer either way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.