Is it possible for people who committed horrible crimes to redeem themselves...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
...in the eyes of the public?

People like rapists, murderers, child predators. In your eyes or just plain the general public's eyes, what could these horrible people who committed horrible crimes do to genuinely redeem themselves?

So, to make it clear, these are people that have been convicted, and for the sake of argument, were not sentenced to life in prison or sentenced to death, what can they do to redeem themselves once they get out?

Me personally, I think it's almost impossible. I'm not quite sure what one could do at that point.

What do you think?

Artol
I think people can and should be rehabilitated. I don't know what you understand with redemption particularly.

SquallX

Newjak
It depends on what we are talking about.

Are we talking about a sociapath who without proper medication feels no remorse and is very likely to commit same crimes again?

Or are we talking about a poor kid that's been brought up in criminal enterprises because of the environment they were born into?

Because ultimately those types of things matter.

Now in terms of society forgiving them that's a lot trickier to me. If the crime was so heinous that we could never feel safe with that person in public again they need to be put away for life.

Old Man Whirly!
Everyone who isn't mad can be rehabilitated. Redeemed, no, especially in their own minds. The guilt for someone who understands an atrocity they committed is an atrocity and has developed a conscience and empathy, followed them it can only be a living hell. But time is strange and people forget. We are many people in our lives.

Quincy
I don't think there is one blanket redemptive action someone can take. No trial or journey or self-reflection can redeem someone to everybody.

I do believe in people honestly wanting to get better, and the desire to redeem themselves.

cdtm
laughing

No.

Klaw
I would say so, there is a case I heard about, I'd have to look for the source, of a kid who murdered his entire family.

Today he's a fully grown adult, and leads a normal life.

Impediment
All sex offenders are incurable and should be placed in gas chambers and pelted with Zyklon B.

And this is coming from a former prison corrections officer who has worked with sex offenders.

Tegmark
PDF pedo file

NemeBro
Originally posted by Impediment
All sex offenders are incurable and should be placed in gas chambers and pelted with Zyklon B.

And this is coming from a former prison corrections officer who has worked with sex offenders. Ah so you're saying you are biased and your opinion can be discarded. thumb up

Tegmark
3PT4_M6ZQOM

Tegmark
pHkrn0n3k34

Blakemore
Originally posted by NemeBro
Ah so you're saying you are biased and your opinion can be discarded. thumb up are you defending pedos?

rudester
Anything is possible if they truly are remorseful.

rudester
Predictors usually start off as victims themselves. It comes from a history of battling these issues themselves and coming to terms or not coming to terms with reality.

Tegmark
Originally posted by Blakemore
are you defending pedos? i7gIpuIVE3k

Tegmark
Originally posted by rudester
Anything is possible if they truly are remorseful. 5-XqI7PcClo

Blakemore
Originally posted by Tegmark
i7gIpuIVE3k appropriate, but I don't condone such behaviour. I got the impression someone else did...😑

Eon Blue
Predictors usually start off as victims themselves. It comes from a history of battling these issues themselves and coming to terms or not coming to terms with reality.

Bingo.

Blakemore
Perhaps there is a way to help some of these people 🧐

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Jmanghan
...in the eyes of the public?

People like rapists, murderers, child predators. In your eyes or just plain the general public's eyes, what could these horrible people who committed horrible crimes do to genuinely redeem themselves?

So, to make it clear, these are people that have been convicted, and for the sake of argument, were not sentenced to life in prison or sentenced to death, what can they do to redeem themselves once they get out?

Me personally, I think it's almost impossible. I'm not quite sure what one could do at that point.

What do you think?

in movies yes but never in real life

Jmanghan
What if they pled guilty and then gave their life to save someone else? Whether it be a "push them out of the way" kind of thing or donating an organ that without it would kill them?

Yeah I still don't think even then.

Jmanghan
Anything is possible if they truly are remorseful. You think so?...

I'm not so sure if "remorse" is the key to redemption.

"Sorry" can't unrape, unmolest, or unmurder anyone.

rudester
You asked a general statement and did not specify as to if they were redeeming themselves from their own guilt or whether the justice system that society designed justifies for the crimes they committed. In other words is being jailed an accurate representation of the law being fulfilled.

Adam_PoE
Redemption requires recompense. The material harm of these crimes is difficult to quantify. What is the value of bodily integrity or an individual life? Unless or until that is objectively and sufficiently established, it is impossible to identify the threshold for ammends.

Smasandian
If they served their time, they should considered redeemed. If not...then what's the point of prison or laws.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Smasandian
If not...then what's the point of prison Cheap labor and social vengeance.

FlipDeScript
The f#ck is a crime!? What you call a crime half you men are too betas to emulate. They have had an entire LEGION of criminals trained to be criminals in Iraq to prepare for the coming war with Commies and you want to ARREST their ilk!?

No, FUK YOU PR1CKS ALL OF YOU

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by FlipDeScript
The f#ck is a crime!? What you call a crime half you men are too betas to emulate. They have had an entire LEGION of my best troops trained to be criminals in Iraq to prepare for the coming war with Commies and you want to ARREST their ilk!?

No, FUK YOU PR1CKS ALL OF YOU Fixed your post for ya there bud.

FlipDeScript
I wouldn't risk a foot soldier I'd send the damn pods in!

FlipDeScript
There's no risk in a pod so long as you don't slow down below the speed of lightning.

FlipDeScript
Then ya might get EMPd like Eldridge did in '44, that's what Star Wars ANH ending battle was based on

Blakemore
wjjPlEW9bRM

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.