Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
First trailer looks promising.

giWIr7U1deA

Releasing in cinemas September 3rd.

Dbomb, The king
Yeah, ive never really seen anything Shang-chi related. but this looks really good.

riv6672
Looked fun. thumb up

ShadowFyre
looked fun to me as well. I really loved the old school Chinese style they portrayed as well. Will definitely watch

Dbomb, The king
I'm still waiting for a blade remake with Marshall Ali

riv6672

BruceSkywalker
the martial artist in me is sooo damn excited for this....

playa1258
Trailer was good except for the comedy crap at the end.

jaden_2.0
Looks decent.

Arachnid1
Shame we never got Mandarin to face off against Iron Man before Stark passed.

I'm sure he'll be great in this movie. They got Tony Leung Chiu-wai to play him, who many consider to be a Honk Kong acting legend. I'm not familiar myself, but I'm seeing praise for him everywhere which tells me I should get familiar.

Originally posted by playa1258
Trailer was good except for the comedy crap at the end. Welcome to every Marvel movie after Thor Ragnorok. The humor has been really lame.

I remember Iron Man being legit funny and witty in the first movie. How did we go from that to "lol alien looks like squidward!"?

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Arachnid1

I remember Iron Man being legit funny and witty in the first movie. How did we go from that to "lol alien looks like squidward!"?

By shamelessly trying to appeal to zoomers.

ShadowFyre
Originally posted by playa1258
Trailer was good except for the comedy crap at the end.

Yeah, it would have played out better if she had just been screaming "**** **** shit shit" like any normal human being honestly

carthage
Looks ok

0mega Spawn
One of the worst trailers ive seen in a while. They do know this isnt 2002 and we dont want to see wirefu and slowmo in our martial arts films.

tkitna
Not feeling this for some reason. Just seems like any old karate flick. Of course i'll watch it though.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by tkitna
Not feeling this for some reason. Just seems like any old karate flick. Of course i'll watch it though.

bruce lee and chuck norris ave greatly influenced this which i love

Impediment

BruceSkywalker

ShadowFyre
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
One of the worst trailers ive seen in a while. They do know this isnt 2002 and we dont want to see wirefu and slowmo in our martial arts films.

You dont wanna see it. I do like me some wirefu and slowmo

Kazenji
Still looking forward to the movie itself, Even if the first trailer was okay.

ShadowFyre
yeah, let's not sell it short and I dont want to be a negative Nancy but I have a firm feeling Marvel milked it for the majority of what it's worth. And I dont really mean they milked it milked it but yall get what I'm saying?

I guess what I mean is they have already hit the top of where they can reach with this medium but hopefully they prove me wrong.

Arachnid1
One of the worst trailers ive seen in a while. They do know this isnt 2002 and we dont want to see wirefu and slowmo in our martial arts films. Agreed. I'm not a fan of the slomo either. Daredevil showed how to do martial arts just fine.
They should have taken that and dialed it up to 11. Adding the corny effects to that makes it worse. This should have had the frantic combat from something like Cap2: Winter Soldier. Not whatever this is.

We'll see if there are better fights in the movie though.

TheVaultDweller
I personally don't mind more stylised fight sequences, as long as they're done well. With this one, I feel it's a bit too early to give proper judgment, seeing as we only get short snippets from the fights.

Considering this was some of the test footage, I think we might be getting a combo of wire-fu and fast-paced close-up action. I love the WTF look on Simu's face right at the end after they do the weird hand clap thing:

BbjDth17Qiw

And apparently the guy who is doing the fight sequences worked on Spider-Man 2 & 3 (the Raimi films), Alita Battle Angel etc.

ares834
Wire fu is awesome. Get taste. It adds a dream-like quality to these borderline mystical martial arts. Hell, it's the only thing this movie seems to have going for it.

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
You dont wanna see it. I do like me some wirefu and slowmo

You dont like martial arts films probably

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Agreed. I'm not a fan of the slomo either. Daredevil showed how to do martial arts just fine.
They should have taken that and dialed it up to 11. Adding the corny effects to that makes it worse. This should have had the frantic combat from something like Cap2: Winter Soldier. Not whatever this is.

We'll see if there are better fights in the movie though.

Raid redemption, and the Ong bak trilogy are what a superhero/martial arts film should model around choreography wise.
Unrealistic fighting yet still grounded and brutal. If they can encapsulate that with hollywood effects and budget they couldnt go wrong.

-Pr-
I honestly don't mind the trailer. I think the movie looks fine, and the martial arts look decent.

Holy shit though, I expect it to bomb hard in Asia. Especially China.

Impediment
Originally posted by -Pr-
I expect it to bomb hard in Asia. Especially China.

What makes you think so?

ShadowFyre
You dont like martial arts films probably

Your very amazing at deciding exactly what a person does or does not like from a single statement probably.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Impediment
What makes you think so?

Asian cinema goers in general, from what I've seen, don't like the kind of, I suppose "pandering" is the word that a lot of Hollywood does when it comes to asian people. There's a very "anti-HK martials arts" sentiment too, and on top of that, a lot of asians (from what I've seen anyway), don't feel very well represented by the Asian Americans they see on screen.

Contrast the performances of movies like Mulan (the remake) and Crazy Rich Asians with something like, say, Kung Fu Panda. Asians ****ing love Kung Fu Panda.

The best example I could give you is, imagine if Hollywood made a movie about Leprechauns, cast nothing but Irish-Americans in it, then tried to market that film in Ireland. I hope that makes sense.

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Your very amazing at deciding exactly what a person does or does not like from a single statement probably.
Its quite obvious when you said this movie has a old school chinese style laughing

Like where in the trailer did you see anything old school? This has hollywood written all over it

jaden_2.0

The best example I could give you is, imagine if Hollywood made a movie about Leprechauns, cast nothing but Irish-Americans in it, then tried to market that film in Ireland. I hope that makes sense.

That would be an awesome movie to be sure, to be sure.

cdtm

BruceSkywalker
I so hope Fin Fang Foom is at least mentioned

i also hope the post credit scene is danny rand

Asian cinema goers in general, from what I've seen, don't like the kind of, I suppose "pandering" is the word that a lot of Hollywood does when it comes to asian people. There's a very "anti-HK martials arts" sentiment too, and on top of that, a lot of asians (from what I've seen anyway), don't feel very well represented by the Asian Americans they see on screen.

Contrast the performances of movies like Mulan (the remake) and Crazy Rich Asians with something like, say, Kung Fu Panda. Asians ****ing love Kung Fu Panda.

i suspect the asian market is the reason that this takes off

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

i also hope the post credit scene is danny rand

i suspect the asian market is the reason that this takes off

Agreed a number of movies take in asia

CoolBlackKnight
Not feeling this trailer... Too "production" and the wire fu fights are very meh.

BruceSkywalker
Agreed a number of movies take in asia

yes definitely

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
He's a "Fu Manchu".

Remember the evil asian stereotype from Iron Man 3 that turned out to be a stage actor? Comic Mandarin is really like that.

Go see the Mandarin's appearances from Matt Fraction's Iron Man, He was never like the Fu Man chu stereotype

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

He's suppose to be in the actual movie, There's even a Funko pop of him.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kazenji
Go see the Mandarin's appearances from Matt Fraction's Iron Man, He was never like the Fu Man chu stereotype

oh cool, that'll make this even better

cdtm

That's relatively recent, was talking more historically.

There's a reason Robot Chicken had a blatantly racist stereotype in their skit. Because Mandarin has historically been a blatant racist stereotype.

Tirgmirg
The next Jackie Chan. Or was it Taking sung

riv6672

ares834
https://weminoredinfilm.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/ironmanmandarin071412-thumb-550x582-95999.jpg
It's pretty damn racist. It's pretty much the chinese equivalent of the black person caricature with the big red lips.
But it was a different time and the character has been updated significantly.

riv6672
Damn I love that cover!

cdtm

Tirgmirg
MXchMQ_q19Q

riv6672
What about this guy?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/9/9d/Egg_Fu_Earth-One_001.jpg

smile
Egg Fu is freaking AWESOME. yes thumb up

Kazenji
That's relatively recent, was talking more historically.

There's a reason Robot Chicken had a blatantly racist stereotype in their skit. Because Mandarin has historically been a blatant racist stereotype.

That might be the case, Doesn't mean you have to keep making the character racist too because of history.

Robtard
This one just looks kinda meh to me. I will check it out though; hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.

Old Man Whirly!
Loved the 70's Shang Chi. Like Powerman, it's where he belongs.

VanMae
Taken from a post on DeviantArt:

"He was the descendent of British and Mongolian nobility. While it does make sense given British presence in China, it's also very symbolic.

The British Empire was once the most massive in reach inthe world, stretching from sea to sea. And before them, the Mongolian Empire once claimed to be the largest in land mass, stetching from China across vast stretches of land and to the Middle East, claiming many of the routes of the Silk Road.

From a small island nation and a supposed clan of barbarians, they changed and defined world history like few others. And he is descended from that nobility.

What does this mean?

He represents that mythologized past, that need of a strong monarch leader and would see it as his duty to combine the acheivements of his past to usher in a tomorrow under his rule, venerating that past. It's why he wants to conquer the world. He sees it as birthright, as destiny and fate. He represents the ruler of the past.

No surprise his enemy would be Tony Stark; the liberal futurist who comes from the young (in relative to many nations) United States of America. They stand on total opposites from each other.

Stark build his accomplishments from his mind.

The Mandarin claimed his through lost alien technology, much like how the Mongols gained many achivements through their conquests and similarly with Britain with their colonization and trade control.

The displaced emperor of yesteryear versus the futurist freedomite of tomorrow."

riv6672

Kazenji
Looks alot better then what the first trailer made it out to be and it's good to see THAT villain back from the Hulk movie.

tkitna
Was that him though? I really couldnt tell. Also, was that FFF under the water?

Kazenji
Was that him though?

It is him, Even looks like how he does from the comics

that just means he's evolved since that first Hulk movie.

jaden_2.0
Still looking forward to this the most out of the stage 4 new Marvel stuff.

Looks good.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by VanMae
Taken from a post on DeviantArt:

"He was the descendent of British and Mongolian nobility. While it does make sense given British presence in China, it's also very symbolic.

The British Empire was once the most massive in reach inthe world, stretching from sea to sea. And before them, the Mongolian Empire once claimed to be the largest in land mass, stetching from China across vast stretches of land and to the Middle East, claiming many of the routes of the Silk Road.

From a small island nation and a supposed clan of barbarians, they changed and defined world history like few others. And he is descended from that nobility.

What does this mean?

He represents that mythologized past, that need of a strong monarch leader and would see it as his duty to combine the acheivements of his past to usher in a tomorrow under his rule, venerating that past. It's why he wants to conquer the world. He sees it as birthright, as destiny and fate. He represents the ruler of the past.

No surprise his enemy would be Tony Stark; the liberal futurist who comes from the young (in relative to many nations) United States of America. They stand on total opposites from each other.

Stark build his accomplishments from his mind.

The Mandarin claimed his through lost alien technology, much like how the Mongols gained many achivements through their conquests and similarly with Britain with their colonization and trade control.

The displaced emperor of yesteryear versus the futurist freedomite of tomorrow." Britain is much more liberal than the United States in many ways and always has been.

-Pr-
That's not funny.

Old Man Whirly!
That's not funny. with the caveat except in terms of past occupation of many other countries, particularly Ireland for almost 1000 years.

jaden_2.0
That's not funny.

HoPwqkyhYk8

BruceSkywalker
imo, i think this film wi be n of the best martial rts flms that i've ever seen

carthage
Abomination is super ****ing weak lmao

Impediment

Old Man Whirly!

Kazenji
That was indeed Fing Fang, There's even a Funko pop of him.

ShadowFyre
Abomination is gonna get beat up by Shang Chi and Hulk will officially be back he most useless Avenger.

riv6672
That was indeed Fing Fang, There's even a Funko pop of him.
Pants or no pants?

Kazenji
Originally posted by riv6672
Pants or no pants?

No pants.

riv6672
Dang it.

StiltmanFTW
It's been 100% confirmed it's Fin Fang Foom?

Not Fafnir, Midgard Serpent or some other Marvel dragon?

--
FFF makes the most sense considering the Mandarin is here, but since the film has that scene with Abomination fighting Wong, I guess literally anything is possible at this point.

Darth Thor
About time Abomination showed up again.

Although I do wish FFF and Mandarin faced off against Iron Man.

StiltmanFTW
Yeah, not a fan of that.

Mandy is just the closest character to Fu Manchu (who was later renamed to Han, eventually to Zheng Zu).

So yeah, instead of Fu Manchu and Y Ddraig Goch, we get Mandy and FFF... since Tony is dead, he can't really protest against having his villains stolen from him... laughing out loud

Darth Thor
So reviews are saying this is fantastic.

John Campea is raving about it. Like Ive not seen him that excited walking out of a comic book movie since Winter Soldier.

Impediment
What is the controversy about the film being called an "experiment"?

riv6672
Originally posted by Darth Thor
So reviews are saying this is fantastic.

John Campea is raving about it. Like Ive not seen him that excited walking out of a comic book movie since Winter Soldier.
Sweet, i likes them apples.

Kazenji
Looks like Jim Starlin is happy with what they've done with the film, Going by a post on his FB page.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Impediment
What is the controversy about the film being called an "experiment"?

The new CEO Bob Chapek called it an experiment due to the 45day theatrical window.

The main star Simu Lui took issue with that phrasing for the film.

Old Man Whirly!
Watching this in 8 hours. Will post subsequent review.

playa1258
Much better than Black Widow.

Amazing fight scenes, likable characters and the main bad was good too.

Watch the post-credits.

Old Man Whirly!
It was very good, bogged down in cgi in the last reel but that is Marvel. It wasn't my Shang, but that Shang ended June 1983 with issue 125. This was O.K.

dynamix
it was awesome. really enjoyed it.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by dynamix
it was awesome. really enjoyed it. Even Maurice?

riv6672

carthage
Holy **** Abomination sucks 😂

Kazenji
Won't be seeing this anytime ****en soon.

Darth Thor
First half was really entertaining. Second half just dragged on.

Overall cool and fun film but defo overhyped by critics.

Klaw
Going to see this on Tuesday.

Tuesday is the best day to go, tickets are $7.38.

roughrider
I thought it was really fun. Different in many ways from the traditional comic - the conflict between Shang and his criminal father is practically the only element from the comic that's in here - but Marvel has upscaled everything in a good way. So now instead of the espionage angle, things are bigger and more magical.

Galan007
Was not a fan of the MCU's depiction of the 10 rings(the items/objects themselves, not the terrorist organization.)

I understand why the rings were depicted so wildly different in the film than they are in the comics, as most casual fans might've just seen them as "mini Infinity Stones" or w/e... But I was just completely underwhelmed by them here.

As for the film itself: it was okay. Certainly nowhere near the top of the MCU totem pole, imo.

wakkawakkawakka
Just saw this movie and overall it was okay. While the choreography is probably some of the best the MCU had to offer since Winter Soldier the story dragged in the second half before turning into another CGI budget reel in the finale.

The actual 10 rings are kind of a letdown when compared to their comic book counterparts but they served their purpose I suppose.

One question I kept thinking about was If the 10 rings knew where Shang-Chi and his sister were the entire time why did he bother sending assassin's after them? Couldn't they just pick they up using quieter methods

rudester
Same it was okay. It's a marvel movie so it is what you expect. I do applaud marvel for creating a story within a story or a fake universe for that matter

KingD19
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Just saw this movie and overall it was okay. While the choreography is probably some of the best the MCU had to offer since Winter Soldier the story dragged in the second half before turning into another CGI budget reel in the finale.

The actual 10 rings are kind of a letdown when compared to their comic book counterparts but they served their purpose I suppose.

One question I kept thinking about was If the 10 rings knew where Shang-Chi and his sister were the entire time why did he bother sending assassin's after them? Couldn't they just pick they up using quieter methods

Xu Wenwu/Mandarin wanted to see if his kids had still remembered their training because he was holding out hope they'd return home to him and help him run the 10 Rings, especially after he went crazy and the Mega Soul Sucker started playing with his head.

jaden_2.0
So it was decent enough. The fighting peaked during the scaffolding scene. The camera work and choreography at that was fantastic. The final battle was a bit underwhelming and the half hour before that was monotonous and boring.

I'm guessing they're gearing Dr Strange to be the hinge point for all the earth based stuff in phase 4 and presumably Thor and/or Captain Marvel for the off world stuff in the set up for the next "big bad".

BruceSkywalker
i just love martial arts movies and Shang Chi is a personal fave. I enjoyed it. The action was good. Everyone was cast well including awkafina. I would highly recommend. Easily 8/10

tkitna
I just got around to watching this. Too much fantasy and magic for my taste, but with phase 4 and the multiverse stuff I guess you'll have that. The fight scenes were pretty awesome, but all in all this one only rates as average for me. Its not something I would rush to see again.

5/10

Obfuscation
He got thi green screen HA

riv6672
Its not something I would rush to see again.

5/10
Ive seen it twice. I wound up going w. a neighbor while we were out and about in a spur of moment decision. It was pretty rewatchable.

Obfuscation
Originally posted by riv6672
Ive seen it twice. I wound up going w. a neighbor while we were out and about in a spur of moment decision. It was pretty rewatchable. Whoopty FUK

TheVaultDweller
I liked this overall. It's not on par with the best films the MCU has given us, but I definitely found it more enjoyable than the inconsistent snoozefest that was The Eternals. Probably enjoyed it more than Black Widow too.

Obfuscation
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I liked this overall. It's not on par with the best films the MCU has given us, but I definitely found it more enjoyable than the inconsistent snoozefest that was The Eternals. Probably enjoyed it more than Black Widow too. "I liked th-" stfu

Estacado
Great movie.

Katy was annoying As hell but the visuals and the music were top notch.

The animations over the fights and the choreography was simply amazing.

9/10.

VanMae
Originally posted by Galan007
Was not a fan of the MCU's depiction of the 10 rings(the items/objects themselves, not the terrorist organization.)

I understand why the rings were depicted so wildly different in the film than they are in the comics, as most casual fans might've just seen them as "mini Infinity Stones" or w/e... But I was just completely underwhelmed by them here.

As for the film itself: it was okay. Certainly nowhere near the top of the MCU totem pole, imo.

The funny thing is you linked to an image that describes the rings' abilities far differently than they have ever been portrayed in the comics.

cdtm
Only got about 30 minutes through.

Right about the point where the sarcastic sibling bantering. Never liked the forced humor.

Will give another chance, but got to tell you I already prefer Shang Chi's original lore. This is more like mixing The Mandarin with Iron Fist.

And to be completely transparent, it irks on me to see Disney try and recreate "Kung Fu". I mean, it's like an indy game coming from EA or Ubisoft or something. Yeah, they CAN do Hollow Knight, but it just isn't the same as two guys in their basement making it.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by VanMae
The funny thing is you linked to an image that describes the rings' abilities far differently than they have ever been portrayed in the comics.

It's from the one-shot written by Fraction.

Which has retconned Mandy's origins, renamed the rings and described their abilities somewhat differently, yes.

But you already know that, since you're the only Mandarin fan on the site.

cdtm
See, the reason classic Shang Chi was so good is it wasn't a Kung Fu story.

It was a James Bond story, with 007 replaced by Bruce Lee.

Shang essentially worked with MI6, and a cool cast of characters like an aussie looking guy named Black Jack Tarr (Who was big and tough looking and had an awesome handlebar, yet his back kept slipping out. Not totally useless, he did level his share of elite mooks)

I'd have rather seen THAT Shant Chi on the screen. Even if you couldn't bring Fu Manchu with it.

P.S. posting an image of Tarr because he's awesome:

https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/IMG_20200803_093423_786.jpg

Make a movie about him! No Shang, just all Tarr and his awesome -stash.

Patient_Leech
I tried to watch this last night. I really tried. I gave it 26 minutes and couldn't take it anymore.

I could look past the formulaic plot and set-up, but the drastic changes in tone and poor attempts at humor were unbearable.

Truly terrible.

I almost feel like I need to watch a good kung-fu movie to cleanse my palette.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.