China can't take over the world

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Even if they wanted to, I don't think it's possible.

They can't win a military conquest, they don't have the military and the world wouldn't allow it.

They can't win economically. China has money, and the NBA, Hollywood, Blizzard and such want to partner up with China to take their money.

They can't win a propaganda war, because our own propagandists are too good at it, and China has no idea how to brainwash masses outside of China's borders.

So what does that leave them? They're a business partner at best, and a scapegoat at worst.

NewGuy01
You're probably wrong about that, but I suppose this take is preferable to the fear mongering.

ilikecomics
A centrally commanded economy can never flourish. China's economic success is illusionary.

cdtm
There is one thing China seriously threatens.

Our integrity.

The fact is, China does use slave labor of ethnic minorities. As do many countries we do business with.

The way I see it, to partner up with such a society is as had as the US's history of using slaves for expansion. We benefit from slavery, so we are complicit in it.

Not to get on a soap box, I'm just saying. Our social politics has some SERIOUS blind spots.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by cdtm
There is one thing China seriously threatens.

Our integrity.

The fact is, China does use slave labor of ethnic minorities. As do many countries we do business with.

The way I see it, to partner up with such a society is as had as the US's history of using slaves for expansion. We benefit from slavery, so we are complicit in it.

Not to get on a soap box, I'm just saying. Our social politics has some SERIOUS blind spots.

The chinese state uses slave labor, not business owners.

For example the u.s. government is evil ( one of the worst in my opinion), but this doesn't mean american business owners are evil.

So while I empathize with the slave labor, I think economic autarchy
is not the answer.

Lord Lucien
China wants stability, not a conquering army laying waste to the world. A stable China with predictable neighbours who are indebted to it and reliant on its trade are far more profitable than everybody's weird WWII-era, videogame mentality that taking over the world is every big country's raison d'etre.

And China ain't exactly a bastion of internal stability free from serious longterm problems. Nor are they the naval gods that the U.S. alone is.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
China wants stability, not a conquering army laying waste to the world. A stable China with predictable neighbours who are indebted to it and reliant on its trade are far more profitable than everybody's weird WWII-era, videogame mentality that taking over the world is every big country's raison d'etre.

And China ain't exactly a bastion of internal stability free from serious longterm problems. Nor are they the naval gods that the U.S. alone is.

They're also enslaving africa with debt.

SquallX
Originally posted by ilikecomics
They're also enslaving africa with debt.

Shhh

ilikecomics
Originally posted by SquallX
Shhh

Oh no, is that a voltron conspiracy theory ?

Lord Lucien
They're also enslaving africa with debt. Enslaving Africa is tradition. Every major power does it at least once.

ilikecomics
Enslaving Africa is tradition. Every major power does it at least once.

Using debt to enslave people vs. the standard physical enslavement of people is the difference between vampires vs. the phoenix force.

cdtm
The chinese state uses slave labor, not business owners.

For example the u.s. government is evil ( one of the worst in my opinion), but this doesn't mean american business owners are evil.

So while I empathize with the slave labor, I think economic autarchy
is not the answer.

Weren't those cotton plantations privately owned?

ilikecomics
Weren't those cotton plantations privately owned?

Sure, what's your point ?

Trocity
Amerikkka is miles worse than China, you racists.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by Trocity
Amerikkka is miles worse than China, you racists.

Why's that ?

Elis
wow

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Elis
wow

reporting the obvious bot! wow!

Newjak
Even if they wanted to, I don't think it's possible.

They can't win a military conquest, they don't have the military and the world wouldn't allow it.

They can't win economically. China has money, and the NBA, Hollywood, Blizzard and such want to partner up with China to take their money.

They can't win a propaganda war, because our own propagandists are too good at it, and China has no idea how to brainwash masses outside of China's borders.

So what does that leave them? They're a business partner at best, and a scapegoat at worst. When you say take over the world are you talking about like conquering the world?

Or are you talking about being the world's most powerful country?

If it's the first yeah no duh. Not even the U.S. could conquer the world. It's just unrealistic especially since you know the ability to sustain our economy is predicated on working with other countries and war on such a scale would absolutely ruin that. I mean even a relatively small war in Afghanistan and Iraq stretched us economically.

If it's the second one they are already well predicted to pass the U.S. the largest economy on the planet.

cdtm
Originally posted by Newjak
When you say take over the world are you talking about like conquering the world?

Or are you talking about being the world's most powerful country?

If it's the first yeah no duh. Not even the U.S. could conquer the world. It's just unrealistic especially since you know the ability to sustain our economy is predicated on working with other countries and war on such a scale would absolutely ruin that. I mean even a relatively small war in Afghanistan and Iraq stretched us economically.

If it's the second one they are already well predicted to pass the U.S. the largest economy on the planet.

Don't see the second happening realistically either. China has money, US companies want the money. A partnership = US companies get more money.

So if China surpasses the US, it won't be due to Chinese actions, as their role right now is "business opportunity".

Newjak
Don't see the second happening realistically either. China has money, US companies want the money. A partnership = US companies get more money.

So if China surpasses the US, it won't be due to Chinese actions, as their role right now is "business opportunity". That feels very contrite.

If that's the case you could argue the US currently only is as big as it is due to foreign investment as well considering a number of other countries invest in the U.S. as well.

You could also argue the U.S. rise was just business opportunity.

It doesn't change the economic power China wields or the fact that China is most likely going to surpass the U.S. as the world's largest economy.

cdtm

So if China surpasses the US, it won't be due to Chinese actions, as their role right now is "business opportunity".

Not sure if those predictions are very accurate either.

Reading this from BBC now:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55140845

BBC taking the word of someone with party ties.

Did they take the Trump Administrations word at face value? Very shoddy journalism.

Newjak
Not sure if those predictions are very accurate either.

Reading this from BBC now:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55140845

Did they take the Trump Administrations word at face value? Very shoddy journalism. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this?

Are you saying China hasn't recovered by economic standards?

Are you saying that the world shouldn't trust China's numbers?

Like you're not saying anything ground breaking here.

The truth is though is that China, like the turn of the century U.S., is a hot bed for economic investment. That hasn't changed and remains the main factor in it's economic prosperity.

That's not going away. Even if you don't like China, I definitely don't like some of the things going on there, to try and deny it's economic power right now is just trying to change reality for your narrative.

Like China is definitely a superpower that rivals the U.S. now.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Newjak
I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this?

Are you saying China hasn't recovered by economic standards?

Are you saying that the world shouldn't trust China's numbers?

Like you're not saying anything ground breaking here.

The truth is though is that China, like the turn of the century U.S., is a hot bed for economic investment. That hasn't changed and remains the main factor in it's economic prosperity.

That's not going away. Even if you don't like China, I definitely don't like some of the things going on there, to try and deny it's economic power right now is just trying to change reality for your narrative.

Like China is definitely a superpower that rivals the U.S. now. thumb up Excellent post.

Lord Lucien

Did they take the Trump Administrations word at face value? Very shoddy journalism. What the fu... there are 91 million party members.

That was a quote from some lady who makes leather handbags in her apartment about how she's patriotic and thinks China's one-party system makes it strong enough to not be beaten by a virus. What shoddy journalistic integrity over a quote from "party ties" are you b*tching about?

That's like getting pissed off at Fox News for quoting one of the 36 million GOP members' son in Austin who sells homemade cowboy hats when he said "I'm very patriotic, I think American democracy is what makes us stronger than the virus" and then calling Fox out for not taking the Obama administration's word at face value... how in the goddamn are you drawing an equivalency here?

It's a worthless statement from a complete nobody, and you think it demonstrates a Gotcha moment over journalism. Jesus effin Kryst

cdtm
What the fu... there are 91 million party members.

That was a quote from some lady who makes leather handbags in her apartment about how she's patriotic and thinks China's one-party system makes it strong enough to not be beaten by a virus. What shoddy journalistic integrity over a quote from "party ties" are you b*tching about?

That's like getting pissed off at Fox News for quoting one of the 36 million GOP members' son in Austin who sells homemade cowboy hats when he said "I'm very patriotic, I think American democracy is what makes us stronger than the virus" and then calling Fox out for not taking the Obama administration's word at face value... how in the goddamn are you drawing an equivalency here?

It's a worthless statement from a complete nobody, and you think it demonstrates a Gotcha moment over journalism. Jesus effin Kryst

Her mom is a party leader, and BBC is using her word as "proof" that the coronivirus didn't hurt China.

Which is where most of the data comes from as well, direct from the PRC. Criticisms of obstructing the WHO and other organizations are plentiful.

About as reliable as trusting the Trump administration on the US, if that was the only source we had (Like the government line in a China is literally all we have)

Newjak
Her mom is a party leader, and BBC is using her word as "proof" that the coronivirus didn't hurt China.

Which is where most of the data comes from as well, direct from the PRC. Criticisms of obstructing the WHO and other organizations are plentiful.

About as reliable as trusting the Trump administration on the US, if that was the only source we had (Like the government line in a China is literally all we have) So you're using a single article in BBC business talking more about China's economic recovery to say they're lying about what? That China's numbers haven't recovered?

Lord Lucien
Her mom is a party leader, and BBC is using her word as "proof" that the coronivirus didn't hurt China. For someone going on about citing someone, you're sure doing a terrible job of it yourself.

"Zhou told me she is very patriotic. Her mum is a member of the ruling Communist Party."

A member. Not a leader. 91 million+ members.

About as reliable as trusting the Trump administration on the US, if that was the only source we had (Like the government line in a China is literally all we have) No it's about as reliable as trusting the son of the shmuck from Texas who makes a living off Etsy.

Party member =/= leader. Or ruler. Or even privy to confidential knowledge.

Aside from your backward interpretation of the article's verbiage and not understanding what it means for a BBC's business correspondent in Shanghai to interview small business owners in Shanghai about their businesses... what exactly is your problem with that article?

Darth Thor
Not sure why everyones convinced Chinas massively lied about their numbers. Has New Zealand also lied ? Could it be other countries simply handled the pandemic 1000 times better than the U.K. and US ?

cdtm
For someone going on about citing someone, you're sure doing a terrible job of it yourself.

"Zhou told me she is very patriotic. Her mum is a member of the ruling Communist Party."

A member. Not a leader. 91 million+ members.

No it's about as reliable as trusting the son of the shmuck from Texas who makes a living off Etsy.

Party member =/= leader. Or ruler. Or even privy to confidential knowledge.

Aside from your backward interpretation of the article's verbiage and not understanding what it means for a BBC's business correspondent in Shanghai to interview small business owners in Shanghai about their businesses... what exactly is your problem with that article?

That's what you get from ?

That's straight up pro chinese propaganda, what's the matter with you?

And I thought Mr Mind was a Chinaer (Like a Trumper, only for anything China)

Just remember, useful idiots are the first they put against the wall. stick out tongue?

Lord Lucien
Ooof, you're the special kind. Well good luck out there, buddy. You'll need it.

cdtm
Ooof, you're the special kind. Well good luck out there, buddy. You'll need it.

And you really think that means

Because I'm not seeing what you're seeing here. This is more then a small business owner talking about how the coronivirus is hurting business.

Darth Thor

Newjak
That's what you get from ?

That's straight up pro chinese propaganda, what's the matter with you?

And I thought Mr Mind was a Chinaer (Like a Trumper, only for anything China)

Just remember, useful idiots are the first they put against the wall. stick out tongue? I mean turn on any news channel in the U.S. and you'll have thousands of politicians sayings the same thing about the America. That no virus will break our country or people.

So it seems a little weird to take a BBC interview piece and try to say that the BBC is pro china like you are.

Especially when they have articles like this
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56963996

or this one
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-china-56513257

It's almost like in order to come to your conclusion you chose a single article ignored it's context/other articles and took that misrepresentation as gospel.

-Pr-
BBC are scumbags, but the last thing I would accuse them of doing is being pro-China.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by -Pr-
BBC are scumbags, but the last thing I would accuse them of doing is being pro-China.

Yeah

cdtm
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-current-state-of-the-Hong-Kong-protests

I keep seeing this kind of thing on Quora lately.

A topic "What is the current state of Hong Kong protests". So far, a single responder puts up a response at long as your arm, full of more images then a comic book respect thread, all essentially saying the protestors were violent thugs, the protests are dead thanks to "decisive action from Beijing", and that life under China is pretty good anyways.

Say anything at all about China and you get someone like this, if not a dozen.

I remember one poor guy from Taiwan who was simply arguing for some recognition from the UN, and he gets a Chinese ******* telling him "HAHA, you people aren't a real country! Suck it!"

Not in those words, but just as condescending.

I don't get it.

Newjak
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-current-state-of-the-Hong-Kong-protests

I keep seeing this kind of thing on Quora lately.

A topic "What is the current state of Hong Kong protests". So far, a single responder puts up a response at long as your arm, full of more images then a comic book respect thread, all essentially saying the protestors were violent thugs, the protests are dead thanks to "decisive action from Beijing", and that life under China is pretty good anyways.

Say anything at all about China and you get someone like this, if not a dozen.

I remember one poor guy from Taiwan who was simply arguing for some recognition from the UN, and he gets a Chinese ******* telling him "HAHA, you people aren't a real country! Suck it!"

Not in those words, but just as condescending.

I don't get it. Well just remember those kind of encounters and happenings aren't unique to China. Remember the BLM protest backlash from last year?

The U.S. is that much different in wanting to spew propaganda which includes from it's citizens. I'm not saying the U.S. is bad as China is but it closer than you think. We also came dangerously close to spiraling down the route during Trump's teen. If he had managed to get the election overturned I think you would have seen the differences between America and China/Russia start to erode real quick.

Trump definitely would have went for a third term or tried to prop up one of his kids.

Blakemore
Chinese flu took over the world

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.