Shadow in the Cloud (2020)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
(Surprised there wasn't a thread for this. If there is, my apologies. I searched)

I watched this the other night and thought it would be worth discussing. I found it actually very entertaining, even if not perfect. It has a very engaging performance from the lead actress and some ballsy direction to make her so front-and-center. There is as lot I wanted to discuss about the film, but ultimately I found it to be a very fun pulp action film. The ridiculousness was part of the fun, I think. And even though it has more than a bit of feminism mixed in it didn't bother me because it was just part of the pulp fun of it and the way the situation was written it also made more sense. There was an edit or two that bothered me, though. I may have to go back and watch the parts again, but it almost made it seem like she teleported or something, heh...

The film is actually pretty short, and I sort of wish they had gone all-out and added another 20 minutes or so and...

...once they landed have the gremlin take "the package" off to a hive or something and then require an adventurous rescue.

But no doubt budget was an issue.

If you haven't seen this I'd be curious what you think.

d041Wa7LJfs&t=

rudester
I have a crush on chloe so I'll definitely watch

ShadowFyre
Been wanting to see this actually. Glad you liked it.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by rudester
I have a crush on chloe so I'll definitely watch

I haven't seen her in anything else except I think Kick-ass, and I don't remember it very well. But she's great in this. Shows off some serious acting chops.

Patient_Leech

riv6672

steverules_2

Patient_Leech

riv6672
Heck yeah that was Fast & Furious level awesome!

Patient_Leech
Yeah, it was embracing the comicbook-like fun, and not just deceptive editing.

I really loved the design of the batlike gremlins. They were fu#king wicked and yeah, like you said, when it flew, it was a very nice touch.

riv6672

Esau Cairn
I'm biased because I have a serious crush on Chloe but I still can't make up my mind whether I liked this movie or not...?

It really felt like it was written as a stage play then adopted to screen on a small budget.

I mean for an action film, a large proportion of the movie focusses on Chloe's character stuck in the bubble turret unable to do much at all.

And getting to know the rest of the crew just by their constant nagging & derogatory remarks over the intercom doesn't exactly lend to sympathy when they start getting killed off.

Yeah the gremlin was cool. I liked how you just had to accept they exist & one was on the plane but overall I'm still on the fence whether I liked this movie or not.

Kazenji
They got the idea for this movie from a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

riv6672
Originally posted by Kazenji
They got the idea for this movie from a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
Swipe from the best. stick out tongue

steverules_2

Kazenji
And the Bugs bunny cartoon that i'm thinking of came out 1943.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I'm biased because I have a serious crush on Chloe but I still can't make up my mind whether I liked this movie or not...?

It really felt like it was written as a stage play then adopted to screen on a small budget.

I mean for an action film, a large proportion of the movie focusses on Chloe's character stuck in the bubble turret unable to do much at all.

I think that's what I liked about it. I found that whole part with just her really engaging and interesting. That's what I meant by ballsy direction. I think it was an intentional decision to make the audience feel like they were in her shoes. And it worked to me. It would have felt like any other generic flight film if they kept cutting back up to the rest of the crew. I honestly didn't care about getting to know them.. haha...

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
And getting to know the rest of the crew just by their constant nagging & derogatory remarks over the intercom doesn't exactly lend to sympathy when they start getting killed off.

Yeah, they did have the little flashes of their fancy mug shot as they were introducing themselves. heh. But yeah, I found all that very entertaining. Even if it was sort of a feminist approach. But to me, the writing helped make her heroism make sense, because she was doing it all to protect her baby! So her impressive feats were just a metaphor for motherhood. My question is: did her boyfriend on the plane know that the baby was in the package? I'm not sure about that, may have to wait to watch again to figure it out...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.