Are latino's underrepresented in media?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
It's easy to find representation for women, blacks, black women, lgbt representatives, but I can't remember the last time I saw an ad or television or movie role catering to hispanics or latino's. Certainly never, ever a Puerto Rican or anything like that.

I can think of a few actors with mixed race backgrounds, but their latino Heritage was essentially ignored.

What gives? Latino's make up nearly 18% of the US population, easily comparable to the black community, yet they get nowhere close to the same attention?

Blakemore
There was a Latino in breaking bad who worked for the dea

Robtard
They are, but they're also gaining more ground as time goes on.

"Windows of the World" is a movie that's targeted at the Latino audience, but covid19 screwed it up, like it did many films.

jaden_2.0
Definitely. There are none on TV in the UK. Absolute disgrace, frankly

samhain
We don't really have a strong Latin community in the UK. The closest we get is when some Spanish Backpackers decide to spend their breaks over here. There are a lot of Italian descended families here though, particularly in Wales, they don't really get much representation on television, with the exception of fvcking Beppe di Marco in Eastenders that is.

cdtm
It's funny how on Quora any time someone brings up Hispanic/Latino representation, someone inevitably points out all the actors with a hispanic background.

Of course, they miss the point that the fact someone needs to point this out IS the point, but I digress..

Do you think these commentators are arguing in good faith, or am I seeing Hollywood PR spin? I bet its spin, because what normal person takes an interest in arguing something like this?

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by samhain
We don't really have a strong Latin community in the UK. The closest we get is when some Spanish Backpackers decide to spend their breaks over here. There are a lot of Italian descended families here though, particularly in Wales, they don't really get much representation on television, with the exception of fvcking Beppe di Marco in Eastenders that is. Enzo Maccarinelli, Joe Calzaghe are the Welsh Italians I've heard of Sam.

samhain
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Enzo Maccarinelli, Joe Calzaghe are the Welsh Italians I've heard of Sam.

Yeah there are some communities dotted around Wales and a fair number of gelato places too. The Italian and Welsh languages have a lot of similarities so I've been told.

Tzeentch
Pretty much all races that aren't black or white are underrepresented in America.

Latinos and Asians are gaining some ground- though Asian actors are suffering from Hollywood's pander-boner for China. We're still mostly seeing Chinese actors for lead/supporting leads and not Chinse-American actors.

Robtard
Asians are less so, if you factor in they're less than 6% of the population.

Speaking of though, am happy they're apparently making a third season of Warrior. HBO picked it up. So production value will also likely go up as well.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by samhain
We don't really have a strong Latin community in the UK. The closest we get is when some Spanish Backpackers decide to spend their breaks over here. There are a lot of Italian descended families here though, particularly in Wales, they don't really get much representation on television, with the exception of fvcking Beppe di Marco in Eastenders that is.

That's it. Just forget about Frankie Dettori and uuhhh...the chef guy...and uummm Joe Pasquale

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
That's it. Just forget about Frankie Dettori and uuhhh...the chef guy...and uummm Joe Pasquale 0YE9Kthyaco

Robtard
Are Italian-Brits portrayed on TV the same way Italian-Americans often are?

jaden_2.0
Nah. The only Italian crime family here was Camorra, oddly, in Aberdeen. So there's not much of that stereotype to work from.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
Are Italian-Brits portrayed on TV the same way Italian-Americans often are? Welsh Italians all seem to box including Joe Pasquale which is a little know fact about him. As an amateur, I was always fighting Welsh Italians. Which is actually a hard combination as the Welsh and the Italians both love a tear up as much as my Londoner/Irish Gypsy blood does.

cdtm
Brits make the best Americans, e.g. Rick Grimes.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by cdtm
Brits make the best Americans, e.g. Rick Grimes. or Kate Winslet

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!

Robtard
Maybe I should look into culinary school

Old Man Whirly!
Maybe I should look into culinary school My second wife was a chef/pub/restaurant manager, we even lived above one of her pubs in the Landlords quaters at one point and rented our house out. I will not state if she was a sexxual deviant as it took us years to get to getting on this well. smile

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!

Robtard
My second wife was a chef/pub/restaurant manager, we even lived above one of her pubs in the Landlords quaters at one point and rented our house out. I will not state if she was a sexxual deviant as it took us years to get to getting on this well. smile

Confirmed sexual deviant

Old Man Whirly!
Confirmed sexual deviant laughing out loud

Blakemore
No but I did get a can of dark fruit cider.Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Did you smoke a fair whack of pot at the time? Kitchens also always seem full of pot and coke heads etc.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Blakemore
No but I did get a can of dark fruit cider. laughing out loud

Robtard
My ex-brother-in-law was a chef, a good one too. But he loved coke, he loved coke so much it ruined the marriage.

He's now a restaurant owner (daddy bought him one), I assume he probably still loves coke.

Old Man Whirly!
My ex-brother-in-law was a chef, a good one too. But he loved coke, he loved coke so much it ruined the marriage.

He's now a restaurant owner (daddy bought him one), I assume he probably still loves coke. I rest my case! I was lucky I also loved coke, but I was able to stop, it was never the reason for any **** ups in my life, I can take full blame for those laughing out loud unless alcohol was involved shifty

Blakemore
Damn, robtard with the stories

cdtm

He's now a restaurant owner (daddy bought him one), I assume he probably still loves coke.

Coke ruins many a good men.

The kidney stones alone... Even diet coke doesn't help with that.

jaden_2.0
Chefs generally are sexual deviants according to Bourdain's Hotel Confidential.

I can confirm that chefs most certainly are sexual deviants. Or at least the ones I raped were.

Blakemore
I knew a guy who was a chef and he loved coke! Must be a thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.