What is the role of Government?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Klaw
At its core, to recognize rights and protect them.

Beyond that, the Government should be restrained as much as possible.

So what do you think?

Wonder Man
Operating at random so as to spur on fairness.

Klaw
That doesn't sound fair to me.

Wonder Man
Well when you introduce risk and chance into life can make a profit. When you do it through randomness makes it create opportunities.

Wonder Man
Plus through randomness gets rid of greed.

Bashar Teg
this thread does deserve to be heavily wondermanned... wondermanhandled

cdtm
The role of government seems to be to protect the robber barons through various limited liability corporate schemes.

If corporations are people, aren't the owners technically slavers..?

eThneoLgrRnae
I've already posted what the only legitimate roles of goverment are several times over past week. Get tired of repeating myself over and over again. So I direct anyone who may be interested in my views on it to recent threads.

jaden_2.0
Bailing out massive multinational banks when they wrecklessly destroy themselves and the economy

Brutalising it's own citizens

Bending over and taking it up the ass from tax dodging corporations by enacting laws written by corporate lawyers.

Lying.

Think that about covers it.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Klaw

So what do you think? there are 3 parts of government. The legislature, who write laws on behalf of the people who elected them, the executive, who appoints people to implement those laws and the judiciary, who defend victims of wrongdoing or punish the wrongdoers.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Bailing out massive multinational banks when they wrecklessly destroy themselves and the economy

Bending over and taking it up the ass from tax dodging corporations by enacting laws written by corporate lawyers.

Lying.

Think that about covers it.

it covers their domestic side of it, sure

Blakemore

Scribble
Originally posted by jaden_2.0

Lying.

Think that about covers it. Yeah, sounds like government to me.

Newjak
Originally posted by Klaw

So what do you think? What rights specifically?

And how far should they go to protect them?

Darth Thor

Newjak
Also if you want my basic definition of what government is it is this:

Government was a social construct we created or evolved as a way to make a standard set of rules so humans can work together for common goals.

And as the dynamics of humanity have gotten more complex so to has our government structures and the roles they play in our societies.

I think there will always be some form of social contract that gets created because we as humans need some set of rules in which to interact in our world.

I also think religions themselves served as a type of governing entity when it was harder for us to understand the world.

Klaw
Originally posted by Newjak
What rights specifically?

And how far should they go to protect them?

Things like Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Belief, Freedom of Association etc.

And the Government should go as far as possible without violating other peoples' rights to protect them.

Blakemore

Tzeentch
The role of government is to do what the people who created it and fund it tell it to do. At the end of the day, government is essentially a giant contractor agency hired by tax payers to provide a service.

Anything beyond that definition is arbitrary political ideology nonsense. The real question for the purposes of this thread I is, I imagine, what services do western citizens pay their western governments to provide?

On a individual level peoples' ideas of which services the government should provide will differ, but since we live in a Democratic environment, voting statistics will can give us some insight on the what majority of citizens want. Some of the things we pay our government to do are: protect us from outside forces that may try to hurt us, maintain order within our borders, provide many basic necessities such as medical aid, food, water and power and sometimes housing, provide and maintain roads, bridges and other infrastructure and to regulate the economy and corporations so that people may provide for themselves with work. There's a lot more, but those are some basic ones.

Blakemore

Tzeentch
"Western people".

Newjak
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The role of government is to do what the people who created it and fund it tell it to do. At the end of the day, government is essentially a giant contractor agency hired by tax payers to provide a service.

Anything beyond that definition is arbitrary political ideology nonsense. The real question for the purposes of this thread I is, I imagine, what services do western citizens pay their western governments to provide?

On a individual level peoples' ideas of which services the government should provide will differ, but since we live in a Democratic environment, voting statistics will can give us some insight on the what majority of citizens want. Some of the things we pay our government to do are: protect us from outside forces that may try to hurt us, maintain order within our borders, provide many basic necessities such as medical aid, food, water and power and sometimes housing, provide and maintain roads, bridges and other infrastructure and to regulate the economy and corporations so that people may provide for themselves with work. There's a lot more, but those are some basic ones. This is a great way to put it.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Newjak
This is a great way to put it.

My only critique would be the framing of government as an agency external to the people. Government is just how we organize ourselves to provide these services. It is not some foreign, inscrutible entity, it is us.

Blakemore
I do appreciate a military service for our protection. Adam, surely you understand that.

Klaw
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
My only critique would be the framing of government as an agency external to the people. Government is just how we organize ourselves to provide these services. It is not some foreign, inscrutible entity, it is us.

Unfortunately, it feels that way.

Robtard
Your feelings have been noted, Klaw.

Tzeentch
edit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.