Do you support a living wage?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Klaw
My opinion is that a Living Wage is the minimum an employer should pay their employees to avoid them going on financial assistance.

So taxpayers aren't subsidizing the business (a form of Corporate Welfare).

What do you think?

Old Man Whirly!
In most countries a minimum wage works well. Canada's varies territory to territory and the nation is strongly behind it.

Bashar Teg
if everyone gets paid a liveable wage, then there will hardly be any impoverished people left to look down on and feel better about my own compatability wealthy yet grossly underpaid career. I need to feel better than others because it helps distract from the fact that the middle class is being systematically dismantled

Blakemore

snowdragon
Well if we go by the recently proposed living wage of 15 bucks an hour I wouldnt call that a living wage across the USA maybe in some rural areas. Realistically it would require radical action from our politicians to create something like that and I don't think they have the strength of character to enact said policies.

Patient_Leech
When a major corporation is raking in multi-billion-dollar profits, but pays their employees starvation wages, yes, that is a serious societal problem. It is greed and should be legislated against.

cdtm
Absolutely not. No employer should be forced to pay any amount of money. LET THE MARKET DECIDE.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
When a major corporation is raking in multi-billion-dollar profits, but pays their employees starvation wages, yes, that is a serious societal problem. It is greed and should be legislated against. thumb up Bingo!

snowdragon
Originally posted by cdtm
Absolutely not. No employer should be forced to pay any amount of money. LET THE MARKET DECIDE.

Sure that would seem reasonable until you realize the corporations are in bed with the body meant to protect it's citizens and best interests, so much so that not only do they not help with wages those corporations have congress make it harder to even compete with them in said markets.

Blakemore

snowdragon
lulz

Stoic
I do support it, because even though a person may begin as an entry level associate, they'll get pay raises over time. In the end, at least it's a job.

-Pr-
Yes, I believe in a living wage. Wages need to match inflation so that people can afford to own homes, raise children, and ensure the betterment of society by sending better educated young people out in to the workforce.

Newjak
Yes to the living wage.

I also believe at some point we'll need to transfer to a universal income system when we cross the barrier of having more people capable of working than jobs that need worked.

Klaw
Looks like most of us support a Living Wage; nice to see some consensus.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Klaw
Looks like most of us support a Living Wage; nice to see some consensus. I'm not keen on this place becoming an echo chamber. It was very much a right wing one when your pals were here Eon. smile

Checkm8
If you want the bare minimum out of me, throw me your stinky dirty dollars.

jaden_2.0
A living wage would result in a more cohesive society. People would be happy outside of their work and so more productive inside it. Ultimately profits would go up. A win/win.

Universal basic income would be even better. Employers would have to find ways of making jobs attractive to employees. It would swing the balance of power of employment contracts to the worker as people would no longer be forced to accept poor pay and conditions for fear of becoming destitute.

UBI is also effectively inevitable within a generation or two. AI and automation will replace increasingly huge numbers of jobs. At some point we will have to either accept the current capitalist dogma that the owners and boards of huge companies who replace more and more of their workforce with automation solutions and can just dump the human workforce and keep the money, massively increasing the wealth gap to a dystopian disparity (think Elysium with Matt Damon) or we tax these companies in order to ensure a dwindling human workforce means billions of people becoming destitute.

cdtm
Who decided what a living wage is?

A business who can't retain workers or attract new workers is a business unable to stay in business. Let the workers decide, by choosing where they work.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by cdtm
Who decided what a living wage is?

A business who can't retain workers or attract new workers is a business unable to stay in business. Let the workers decide, by choosing where they work.

Amazon is the richest company and the planet and doesn't care one iota about retaining staff because fear of destitution will always drive people to accept terrible working conditions. (Think no toilet breaks and living in tents in woodland outside the Amazon depot in the middle of winter because the cost of travelling to work would wipe out the paltry amount you earn. This actually happened at my local main distribution hub right next to my brother's house)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/amazon-workers-sleep-tents-dunfermline-fife-scotland-a7467657.html

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Amazon is the richest company and the planet and doesn't care one iota about retaining staff because fear of destitution will always drive people to accept terrible working conditions. (Think no toilet breaks and living in tents in woodland outside the Amazon depot in the middle of winter because the cost of travelling to work would wipe out the paltry amount you earn. This actually happened at my local main distribution hub right next to my brother's house)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/amazon-workers-sleep-tents-dunfermline-fife-scotland-a7467657.html

Nomadland, anyone?

Blakemore

Checkm8

Checkm8
And what like how they are after or what they are after, we each have a few slight deviations in our upbringing but the end result stays pretty static and 9 to 5 ain't it m8s

Checkm8
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Nomadland, anyone? 5q4b7VZs6Uo

Darth Thor
Yes obviously.

Although might have to give some incentives for smaller businesses.

But I don't want to hear about market forces deciding when these corporations get so many bail outs and subsidies from the tax payer.

Minimum wage should grow with the economy (or be in line with growing GDP).

Checkm8
Alexander like Prometheus was an educator, and like me Achilles a King who fought his own battles.

RlKJDwViNKs

Checkm8
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yes obviously.

Although might have to give some incentives for smaller businesses.

But I don't want to hear about market forces deciding when these corporations get so many bail outs and subsidies from the tax payer.

Minimum wage should grow with the economy (or be in line with growing GDP). Word salad, made up terms for obsolete cubical jockies to provide weapons to home evictors pretending to be the government

Klaw

Jesus, this shouldn't be legal.

Checkm8
M3emJNkMmnA

Checkm8
MTb1JfJ6PdA

SquallX

Amazon is only this powerful because the government protects it. Remove all the tax incentives the government bestows Amazon. It will grumble.

snowdragon
On the topic of the tech giants congress recently did look to rein them in with some anti trust legislation:

We'll see though.

SquallX
Originally posted by snowdragon
On the topic of the tech giants congress recently did look to rein them in with some anti trust legislation:

We'll see though.

Believe it when I see it.

Both D/R are own by the corporations and elites.

Robtard
Originally posted by SquallX
Amazon is only this powerful because the government protects it. Remove all the tax incentives the government bestows Amazon. It will grumble.

Amazon wouldn't crumble (I assume you meant that) at this point, Bezos would just be billions poorer, yet still one of the wealthiest people on the planet and he'd likely just make it up by finding new ways to squeeze a few extra dollars out of his massive workforce to make it up.

Blakemore
Too big to fall.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.