Dead Space (2023)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
l5WeBNfX-og

https://media0.giphy.com/media/YOjW8IpbWneVLNkRhe/source.gif

Damn, I missed Isaac.

Impediment

Nemesis X
Grew up loving this, awesome series, but under EA that's iffy on horror plus with what happened to Visceral, I wouldn't blame Motive after getting this dropped on their lap probably being like:

tKNNE3fOQ7I

cdtm
The video game industry is essentially just a pile of old ropes at this point.

Kazenji
This game didn't need a remake, Not like it was a PS1 game or something.

Nemesis X
Bold of you to assume we'd get something original out of the AAA industry,

Kazenji
Remakes & Remasters, We already got that with the previous Gen. Sure some of them were needed but some of them were also pointless.

Impediment

Khazra Reborn

Arachnid1

Impediment
Originally posted by Arachnid1
This is why I'm happy too.

No, the first game didn't need a remake. That said, it's a horror masterpiece and it needs another chance with modern horror audiences. It needs to continue, and reintroducing a new generation of gamers to the original (and hugely improved while being faithful according to interviews) masterpiece seems like a fantastic way to do it. I want this series to continue for generations of consoles into the future.

If anything, a full scale remake can retcon some of the issues with the story.

Also, yes, this will give Dead Space a new audience and that is very important.

eThneoLgrRnae
I finally got around to playing the original Dead Space recently. Great game. Not sure when I'm gonna get around to playing the other two though. I heard they were a disappointment compared to the first one.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
I finally got around to playing the original Dead Space recently. Great game. Not sure when I'm gonna get around to playing the other two though. I heard they were a disappointment compared to the first one. 2 definitely wasn't. It was an Alien-Aliens type of deal but still a phenomenal and addictive game.

cdtm
Alien Isolation kind of made Dead Space obsolete.

Dead Space is amazingly atmospheric, it just pales in comparison because A:I does it all better.

Impediment

Impediment
Also, I wonder if Warren Ellis will return as a writer.

Ellis has gotten himself into hot water recently over allegations of sexual misconduct.

Transmetropolitan is a fantastically written Vertigo title.

cdtm
Originally posted by Impediment
Also, I wonder if Warren Ellis will return as a writer.

Ellis has gotten himself into hot water recently over allegations of sexual misconduct.

Transmetropolitan is a fantastically written Vertigo title.

I read it awhile ago, and like enough about it. But there was a few things that got old quick.

Like the blatant strawmanning and mockery of Conservativism. Or the vendetta against dogs.

And it is a vendetta, Warren Ellis is noteable for long blog posts hating on man's best friend.

Smasandian
I'm surprised it's a remake. I would of been happy with a updated remastered because unlike RE2 and RE3, I wouldn't change much at all.

I could go with updated lighting effects and re-tooling of the terrible asteroid sequence.

But...I kind of wanted a ME Legendary Edition for the Dead Space trilogy.

Impediment

Arachnid1
2MhcgejjiPs

4LzfGOT6bQo&t

hsVo7XQgEFg

VQAg77keP40

yMQOkpZO5eM

Beautiful.

Smasandian
I enjoyed the sound breakdown.....
Especially for this series...which 50% of the scares seem to be sound related.

Cool tech too.

Impediment

Kazenji
Hope it works out for this game

there are some rare instances where it doesn't work out.

cdtm
I've got to play the original someday.

Impediment
k2Z3s8tWaW4

cdtm
Remake was a good choice, remasters are notoriously difficult to get right.

The Devil May Cry remasters completely butcheted the asthetic of the PS2 originals, what with the lighting being far too bright, missing effects, and a general distracting rendered look as if it was a mobile port.

Liking the look and feel of this remake so far, seems they nailed it.

cdtm
Wonder how the "audio log" ever became a thing?

Like anyone would actually drop audio logs in random places, instead of them logically being on their bodies.

Especially hilarious with five or six from the same person

Impediment
$20 says Isaac will be talking in this remake.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Impediment
$20 says Isaac will be talking in this remake. This is already confirmed. They brought back Gunner to voice him too.

cdtm
Originally posted by Arachnid1
This is already confirmed. They brought back Gunner to voice him too.

Is that a joke?

You'd think they'd learn from Link.

Smasandian
Huh? You know the remaining games are voiced.

cdtm
Originally posted by Smasandian
Huh? You know the remaining games are voiced.

Dead Space 2 isn't 1 though. Different directors, different design.

1 was essentially a homage to the unvoiced protagonists like Doom Slayer or Link. The fact Isaac only made any sounds when hurt or struggling to breath was a deliberate design choice.

If they're adding a VA, I hope they include the option to switch it off.

Smasandian
It's a remake, it's bound to be different.
If it wasn't then what's the point of doing this.

I would agree with you if the two sequels were also unvoiced but they are not. So adding the main character with a voice is not taking away from the game. It's adding to it.

Considering having a voiced character was pretty good in the other games.

If Valve re-made Half-Life and they made Gordan Freeman a voiced character, that would be bad.

But Dead Space re-make, nope.

Arachnid1
I'm with Smas. I'm glad they have Gunner voicing actual lines in the remake. Isaac is his own character in this trilogy. He's not an insert like Master Chief.

Arachnid1
HE5EEz3t0Xw

Dante158
Finally, the remake. I can't wait for the whole game to be released soon tho.

Impediment
Isaac deserves a voice in this reboot.

I absolutely cannot sit still for the anticipation of this game!

Nemesis X
Up to now after watching IGN's hands-on preview, yep, it's all 100% identical to the original. If you've played the first one and still own it, I would just stick with that IMO unless you're really into that extra environmental detail and Gunner Wright's voice then power to ya I guess though it would be funny if he lists off every single insult made by the Dead Space community at Kendra.

On the other hand, at least you know what you're getting at launch compared to Callisto "please buy the season pass among our multiple different editions for a new IP you've yet played and wow am I getting Back 4 Blood deja vu" Protocol.

Smasandian
Well, either they change the game and people *****...or they don't and its just the same game.

Dante158
I think for some reason EA could just make another Dead Space game for their own good.

Idk if that"s true but at least it is tho

Smasandian
Because remakes are big money. The series was essentially dead for many years but I assume they still want to do something with it at least one more time. To ensure a profitable game plus ignite the franchise again, they are doing a remake....if it does well...then I would assume we would see a new Dead Space game in the future.

Ubisoft is doing the same thing with Splinter Cell...though remaking the first game could be a pretty cool thing considering how old it is (and doesn't age that well)...

Nemesis X
But how far to repeat history though? After 2, will they remake Dead Space 3 or retcon the whole frozen planet setting altogether I wonder.

Kazenji
Been playing the original Dead Space, Still holds up.

Smasandian
I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they remade Dead Space 2 a few years from now....definitely 3 (which could probably use a few more changes).

But I wouldn't be surprised they create a new game...who knows. EA Motive is making this remake, the same guys who did Star Wars Squadrons (which I had fun with)....according the wikipedia, there is an Iron Man game in the works...so maybe it wouldn't be the same...but it seems EA is trying to revive the series.

Arachnid1
This comes out in less than a week. Holy shit, I'm hyped.

Nemesis X
Why does Isaac look like Adam Sandler?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/wp-content/sites/pcgamesn/2022/12/dead-space-remake-isaac-clarke-adam-sandler-face-1-550x309.jpg

Smasandian
I am not seeing the Adam Sandler similarities.

Kazenji
Same...the new design looks nothing at all like Adam Sandler.

Nemesis X
https://twitter.com/TheReclaimedOne/status/1603061872634331139

Nemesis X
By the by, not insulting Gunner Wright or anything. The transition from real life to in-game didn't 100% work out for him there and I won't use Isaac's face as a deal breaker when/if I do play the remake but to me, he just looks like Adam Sandler and it's hilarious. He gonna stasis field those Necromorphs with his Click remote and pulverize 'em with the club swinging strength of Happy Gilmore.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Nemesis X
By the by, not insulting Gunner Wright or anything. The transition from real life to in-game didn't 100% work out for him there and I won't use Isaac's face as a deal breaker when/if I do play the remake but to me, he just looks like Adam Sandler and it's hilarious. He gonna stasis field those Necromorphs with his Click remote and pulverize 'em with the club swinging strength of Happy Gilmore. He looks exactly like Gunner without a beard. I can kind of see the Adam Sandler thing too, but not as much as I see Isaacs own voice actor

https://i.imgur.com/K0D29wI.png
https://i.imgur.com/Rqpb7Gn.png
https://i.imgur.com/XBvsyLp.png

Adam Grimes
He looks like another actor, not Adam Sandler.

Smasandian
Reviews seem to be positive...which generally makes sense considering it's one of the best games to be made (in my opinion of course).

And the remake seem to make smart changes but kept the original vibe intact. I cannot wait till play it.

Even if I am being a bit of hypocrite......

Arachnid1
From what I've heard, there is literally no cut content in this remake. They just added new stuff and made QOL changes. THAT is how you do a remake. Can't wait

Nemesis X
Like too how Isaac's engineering seems to come into more focus now that you can optionally reroute power in sections of Ishimura giving it more that replay value. Will you sacrifice oxygen to keep the lights on like a sissy or power through the dark without worrying about a time limit? Imagine if such choices could also affect NPCs.

Adam Grimes
I'm loving it so far. Just reached the first encounter with the Hunter. The way back is dark af in this lol.

BackFire
Bought this, will start it later.

Smasandian
Have you noticed that the game changes encounters? I don't remember that being in the original game...

I went into a hallway with a bathroom, it was clear...the bathroom had 2 necromorphs in them...died (was very low health).

Reloaded...the hallway is now foggy with 1 necromorph...and the bathroom had none.

Well done remake so far. Graphics are fantastic, the sound is unbelievable and there isn't a single bad part yet. I also like the changes to the guns as well.

cdtm
Originally posted by Smasandian
Have you noticed that the game changes encounters? I don't remember that being in the original game...

I went into a hallway with a bathroom, it was clear...the bathroom had 2 necromorphs in them...died (was very low health).

Reloaded...the hallway is now foggy with 1 necromorph...and the bathroom had none.

Well done remake so far. Graphics are fantastic, the sound is unbelievable and there isn't a single bad part yet. I also like the changes to the guns as well.

Totally justifies remaking a game that didn't need remaking. laughing out loud

I'll stick with the original.

cdtm
What's next, remaking Elden Ring? Why not, since we're doing the equivalent of very small mods on perfectly serviceable games now.

Maybe we can remake GTA V, so it doesn't suck, that is one game I'd gladly accept a remake on.

Smasandian
The graphics on this remake are definitely not a small mod.
That being said...its a 15 year old game that was released in the early part of the 360 era.

Remakes are a tricky thing...I think it's a case by case basis on what would be a good idea to remake.

As long as the originals can still be purchased, I don't necessarily have a problem with a game like Dead Space being remade.

Smasandian
Man, the atmospheric elements and lightening is top notch in this game.
Playing on Series X in graphics mode (30FPS but with ray tracing)...and its amazing looking game.

The sound design is incredible as well.....
And voicing Isaac makes the game better.....
And I enjoy the side missions stuff....I don't remember exactly how the story went in the original....but I do believe the GF is way more flushed out in the remake.

Jaden_3.0
Originally posted by cdtm
Totally justifies remaking a game that didn't need remaking. laughing out loud

I'll stick with the original.

Meanwhile 1 page previously

Remake was a good choice, remasters are notoriously difficult to get right.

Meanwhile on the same page as the previous quote.

I've got to play the original someday.

Imagine being so brain damaged you can't remember your own fake edge-lordery

cdtm
Originally posted by Jaden_3.0
Meanwhile 1 page previously

Meanwhile on the same page as the previous quote.

Imagine being so brain damaged you can't remember your own fake edge-lordery

Out of context cherry picking does that. stick out tongue

You're comparing initial opinions based on limited information with a more informed opinion well after release. I've also since been playing through the original, and can compare it with the remake with fresh eyes.

So yes, I think this remake is overpriced at 70 dollars on console and isn't really even necessary like, say, Final Fantasy 7 was. It's an overpriced cash grab.

Smasandian
I disagree.

It's worth the price. It's been completely recreate from scratch, it's not a remaster at all. The graphics overhaul is incredible. The lightening system is amazing.

As long as they continue to resell the original...this remake is worth it...especially if somebody has never played the game before. Which I suspect is quite a lot of people nowadays.

Arachnid1
I've beaten it on hard and I'm working on the achievements now.

This is easily one of the best horror games this gen (actually, of all time). It even outdoes RE2make in a few areas. There is replay value (Phantom necromorphs and a new ending in new game plus, unlockable suits), but not much more than 2-3 runs. Replay value is further enhanced by the intensity director. Basically, the game has a system that makes each run through a section different. You could get exploding vents, different necromorph spawns, lights shutting off, monster sounds randomly, environmental stuff going off (sprinklers, showers, TVs, etc...). I watched a friend of mine play and he was getting railed by monsters in certain sections. It blew my mind when I ran through those same sections and got nothing but some sounds and flickering lights. The only negative to this is that it can make backtracking a bit of a pain, but that adds to the experience IMO. If you want that upgrade you have to go back for, you'll have to expend some resources.

My biggest plus is how interconnected the world is. It's like the RPD in RE2make, so you can now explore the Ishimura in its entirety and go back to the beginning whenever you want. There are plenty of reasons to explore and backtrack to previous areas too (unlockable doors via security access levels, side missions).

Every weapon is useful and has a badass secondary fire mode (changed from the original), and they are all fun af to use. I'm extremely partial to the ripper and plasma cutter though. Their upgrade tree's are also super expanded with multiple special upgrades you can discover by exploring the ship.

The boss fights and engineering puzzle sections are all improved on from the original, and there are a few new ones. The story has been expanded with a few new twists. Isaacs new voice acting is fantastic. There are a bunch of side quests that flesh out the story from the original and tie into the sequels. All of the characters from the original have more to say and do so they feel more three dimensional. There is no cut content from the original.

I could gush about this game all day. It is so good that it made the original obsolete. Only other horror game to do this is RE1make.

It's worth the price.

Smasandian
The flamethrower got a massive boost. I never used it....but in this game, it's S tier.

Nemesis X
mqtOhNC2FlU

cdtm
No real DLC or expansions? Ok, I'll give credit for that, the original had a ton of paid DLC suits and weapon mods.

Sounds like PC gets exclusive skins though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.