Kevin Smith angry over Masters of the Universe reviews

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan

Scribble
Kevin Smith cries over every mediocre piece of Disney trashola that gets released, who gives a shit what he thinks

Blakemore
Disney does release shit though. I mean, Star wars and marvel were already ruined, but only they could've made them even worse.

Bashar Teg
lol @ 'disney made marvel worse' dur

KingD19
Wasn't it a bait and switch though? Adam/He-Man gets sidelined first episode, then it's basically Teela & The Masters of the Universe until the end of the season. And Adam's essentially dead right now. Didn't he basically lie about everything he said?

Scribble
Originally posted by Blakemore
Disney does release shit though. I mean, Star wars and marvel were already ruined, but only they could've made them even worse. He cries over them because he thinks they're beautiful. He's an idiot.

That said, I enjoy a fair few films in the MCU (and conceptually I think the MCU is neat) but Smith posts selfies of him weeping like a child every time a new entry gets released.

samhain
In all honesty, Smith sold out in the 90's and he's been coasting by on Clerks and Mallrats ever since, now that those films are slipping away from people's memories, how much of a dick he is is coming to light. Looks like the kind of guy who stalked every ex he's ever had.

cdtm
Originally posted by KingD19
Wasn't it a bait and switch though? Adam/He-Man gets sidelined first episode, then it's basically Teela & The Masters of the Universe until the end of the season. And Adam's essentially dead right now. Didn't he basically lie about everything he said?

Pretty much.

I think Smith's idea was to make Teela the "main character" who isn't the "hero". Kind of what happened in Metal Gear Solid 2, with Raiden. Smith outright said that Teela is always there in the cartoon. This makes her a perfect character to tell the story around, because she'll be there to see everything important, without being tied down to any one thing.

He-Man still saved the universe, Adam still gave up paradise, and He-Man will likely defeat Skeletor.

KingD19
Originally posted by cdtm
Pretty much.

I think Smith's idea was to make Teela the "main character" who isn't the "hero". Kind of what happened in Metal Gear Solid 2, with Raiden. Smith outright said that Teela is always there in the cartoon. This makes her a perfect character to tell the story around, because she'll be there to see everything important, without being tied down to any one thing.

He-Man still saved the universe, Adam still gave up paradise, and He-Man will likely defeat Skeletor.

See, I preferred Raiden in 4 to 2. In Patriots, he gets to be a complete and utter badass, but is alongside Snake being that badass. Not being the main focal point while Snake is shuffled off to the side, which would understandably piss off everyone who bought the game to play Solid Snake again.

He easily could've brought Teela up so to speak without the need for eliminating Adam/He-Man entirely from his own show. Why call it "He-Man & The Masters of the Universe" if He-Man isn't in it for 99% of the show? To trick people into watching what he made because if he called it what it was, it wouldn't have just gotten bombed, no one aside from critics ,reviewers and non-fans would've watched it. He literally said "It's not the Teela Show"...then proceeded to make the Teela Show.

Blakemore
I wonder what Adam PoE thinks of this

cdtm
See, I preferred Raiden in 4 to 2. In Patriots, he gets to be a complete and utter badass, but is alongside Snake being that badass. Not being the main focal point while Snake is shuffled off to the side, which would understandably piss off everyone who bought the game to play Solid Snake again.

He easily could've brought Teela up so to speak without the need for eliminating Adam/He-Man entirely from his own show. Why call it "He-Man & The Masters of the Universe" if He-Man isn't in it for 99% of the show? To trick people into watching what he made because if he called it what it was, it wouldn't have just gotten bombed, no one aside from critics ,reviewers and non-fans would've watched it. He literally said "It's not the Teela Show"...then proceeded to make the Teela Show.

Smith's also taking inspiration from the comics, I'd imagine. 2012 DC 10 issue series, every issue focused on a unique character. Man at Arms in one. Trap Jaw in one, Evil Lynn in another. All very good. He-Man wasn't the focus until issue 10, and only a side character to Orko's story earlier on.

He-Man can't really save the day before the Netflix series is done, so he needs to sideline him somehow. This isn't a bad way to do it, as opposed to the tired "lose the sword" meme.

snowdragon
Who knows whats going to happen in the series though, there are 5 more episodes still?

Old Man Whirly!
I thought it was great

KingD19
The issue isn't that it's bad. It's that it was a blatant lie. Smith lied multiple times about everything.

Old Man Whirly!
The issue isn't that it's bad. It's that it was a blatant lie. Smith lied multiple times about everything. he didn't want to give the plot away.

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I thought it was great

Would be just as good without race swapping.

Imagine how you'd feel if you walked in on your wife and she suddenly had blue skin, and was making out with Captain Kirk.

Blakemore
Or some Navi chick.

cdtm
Yes, if Whirl's wife had blue skin and was making out with Captain Kirk and some Navi chick. thumb up

Impediment

LordofBrooklyn
I thought it was great

What was great about it?

cdtm

Bashar Teg
I'm half convinced Clerks was nothing more than the .001 percent gloating at the bottom 99.999 percent.

The very same rulers who's days are numbered now.

dur

Darth Thor

He-Mans not in the title of this one.

Would have to see all 10 episodes to see whose show it really is. Clearly Teela leads it when Adam isnt around. But it honestly seems to be more of a MOTU show. With Adam/He-Man being used sparingly, but when he is used he will be The Hero. (Probably how they should of used Luke Skywalker in the ST).

For a more He-Man centric cartoon id suggest the 2002 reboot, which I thought was great, but got cancelled mid way through the 2nd season. But still quite a lot of episodes with a solid ending (not some irritating cliffhanger which happens with so many of these cancelled shows).

Blakemore

KingD19
Originally posted by Darth Thor
He-Mans not in the title of this one.

Would have to see all 10 episodes to see whose show it really is. Clearly Teela leads it when Adam isnt around. But it honestly seems to be more of a MOTU show. With Adam/He-Man being used sparingly, but when he is used he will be The Hero. (Probably how they should of used Luke Skywalker in the ST).

For a more He-Man centric cartoon id suggest the 2002 reboot, which I thought was great, but got cancelled mid way through the 2nd season. But still quite a lot of episodes with a solid ending (not some irritating cliffhanger which happens with so many of these cancelled shows).

I mainlined the 2002 series. And while it had Adam front and center, plenty of other heroes and villains got their shine, sometimes multiple people in a single episode.

And no, he's not in the title, but the splash page on Netflix is Adam locked in a clash with Skeletor. Basically the entire promotion of the show, including Smith's own words was saying "It's not the Teela show", and "He-Man is front and center" blah blah blah. And that's simply not true. He might bring him in later, but people are mad because what they got wasn't advertised, point blank period.

For example what if "CASTLEVANIA" didn't have Alucard, Dracula, or Trevor at all in the first season?

cdtm
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
dur

You should be safe enough, we just want the heads of the 0.01 percent.

Bashar Teg
you really love spewing nonsensical garbage on this forum, don't you. now tell everyone about how wealthy kevin smith was when he made clerks.

cdtm
you really love spewing nonsensical garbage on this forum, don't you. now tell everyone about how wealthy kevin smith was when he made clerks.

Kevin Smith worked for them. As do we all.

They own everything, my friend.

Bashar Teg
ignore my ridiculous attention whoring at once!

yes sir!

Blakemore
Expert trolling

Darth Thor
I mainlined the 2002 series. And while it had Adam front and center, plenty of other heroes and villains got their shine, sometimes multiple people in a single episode.

And no, he's not in the title, but the splash page on Netflix is Adam locked in a clash with Skeletor. Basically the entire promotion of the show, including Smith's own words was saying "It's not the Teela show", and "He-Man is front and center" blah blah blah. And that's simply not true. He might bring him in later, but people are mad because what they got wasn't advertised, point blank period.

For example what if "CASTLEVANIA" didn't have Alucard, Dracula, or Trevor at all in the first season?

2002 series was great, but unfortunately didnt get enough interest.

Over here:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-kevin-smith-teela.html/

^ he did make clear back in early June that Teela was going to be the focus of this show. He also explained how He-Man is too powerful so they have to find ways to get around that.

Then the backlash happened, and thats when he retracted and made the statement that He-Man will be front and centre.

Not defending him, just explaining he didnt completely hide the direction this was going. Plus I doubt he was in charge of the marketing. Directors rarely are.

Dont think the Castlevania example is quite right because the show did start with him, and ended with Prince Adam.

Again, this isnt the ideal show that I would have liked (2002 was also much more to my liking), but I dont think Smith himself has done something terribly wrong here. I certainly prefer using him sparingly to what the ST did with Luke, just butcher his character.

Although maybe ill change my mind on that after seeing the whole season. And like I already said, this wasnt what I was expecting or waiting for.

Blakemore
ZZ5LpwO-An4 documentary footage of Kevin Smith.

Bashar Teg
2002 series was great, but unfortunately didnt get enough interest.

that episode when they parodied "The Last Starfighter", except Randal got the high score on a pyramid building game, so he was enslaved. did piss myself

Impediment
that episode when they parodied "The Last Starfighter", except Randal got the high score on a pyramid building game, so he was enslaved. did piss myself

And that episode parodied the Bad News Bears, too. Loved it.

Clerks animated was great. I wish it could get a reboot.

If Kevin wants Jay & Bob to continue, it shouldn't be live action, IMO.

Robtard
Watched the 1st season, I thought it was okay. Nothing great, but entertaining enough and a nice dose of nostalgia in seeing childhood favorites on the screen again. 6.5 out of 10.

Seeing people lose their shit over a He-Man cartoon though is highly entertaining to me. 10 out of 10 here. Bravo, Mr. Smith.

Impediment
I was born in 1980 and enjoyed He-Man as a little boy, but my loyalties went with Transformers and G.I. Joe.

Frank Langella did great as Skeletor in the 80s movie. Pure cheese that was gooey and great.

Blakemore
Thunder thunder thunder thunder cats!

Robtard

But this He-Man cartoon featured He-Man in every episode...

Robtard
Thunder thunder thunder thunder cats!

thumb up

Thundercats and Transformers are my top two favorite 80's cartoons. G.I. Joe would be 3rd.

Bashar Teg
i had jumped on the transformers bandwagon before "transformers" existed. before hasbro bought the rights, 3 G1-identical models were sold in 1983. i had a red version of Sunstreaker sold under a brand named "Diakron", and it was like finding the ring of power. then came tranformers, gi joe, voltron, mask...and the rest of that endless barrage of tv/consumer marketing aimed at children. as if i needed nbc to tell me to try Mr.T cereal. I'd hsve tried it anyway, but not because there was also a saturday morning cartoon.

Old Man Whirly!
Battle of the Planets for me. 7 zark 7

Bashar Teg
lol did george lucas ever sue them for 7 zark 7? i liked that and also enjoyed star blazers (space battleship yamato). those 2 were the first amine i watched

cdtm
Battle of the Planets for me. 7 zark 7

Loved that show!

Always wanted to see the Japanese original (Gatchamen?), but could never find it at my usual spots.

Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Space Sherrif Gavin are a fair consolation prize.

cdtm
lol did george lucas ever sue them for 7 zark 7? i liked that and also enjoyed star blazers (space battleship yamato). those 2 were the first amine i watched

They have a really good Yamato remake if you're interested.

And "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato" is must see, but almost impossible to watch legitimately (But I do highly recommend seeing it)

LordofBrooklyn
Originally posted by Robtard
Watched the 1st season, I thought it was okay. Nothing great, but entertaining enough and a nice dose of nostalgia in seeing childhood favorites on the screen again. 6.5 out of 10.

Seeing people lose their shit over a He-Man cartoon though is highly entertaining to me. 10 out of 10 here. Bravo, Mr. Smith. Originally posted by Robtard
But this He-Man cartoon featured He-Man in every episode...

Look at this traitor fraud!

He-Man is "IN" every episode in what capacity?

Stop your sophistry you're not good at it.

Bashar Teg
"sophistry" ...wow that's a big word for you smile

Blakemore

Adam_PoE
I wonder what Adam PoE thinks of this

As the undispituted biggest Masters of the Universe fan on this site, I love it. If anyone was going to take umbridge with something, it would be me. So if I do not have any complaints, I sure as hell do not know why any one else does.

Blakemore

cdtm
Originally posted by samhain
In all honesty, Smith sold out in the 90's and he's been coasting by on Clerks and Mallrats ever since, now that those films are slipping away from people's memories, how much of a dick he is is coming to light. Looks like the kind of guy who stalked every ex he's ever had.

And Clerks was never good. It was just a preachy left wing indie piece of garbage vanity project.

Mallrats was genius though.

LordofBrooklyn
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
As the undispituted biggest Masters of the Universe fan on this site, I love it. If anyone was going to take umbridge with something, it would be me. So if I do not have any complaints, I sure as hell do not know why any one else does.

You're the biggest "FAN" who enjoyed fans of the franchise being BLATANTLY lied to as well as "MOCKED" by Kevin Smith several times now!

THIS IS WHAT HE-MAN THINKS OF YOUR FANDOM!!!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/a3127bb74fff08a46b56501efbb9b2c9/tumblr_mov63w7qSv1qiclz0o1_500.gif

Adam_PoE
ThE lIeS! tHe LiEs! Grow up.

Jmanghan
I mean yeah, they paid for the right to watch the show, they have the RIGHT to complain about it or review it.

I haven't even watched the damn show but I feel like how Smith is handling this is ridiculous.

"How dare you say I lied about this or that?!" Do you really feel like people don't have the right to ***** about that???

Blakemore

Darth Thor
I think issue is more about the hate before even seeing it, the blatant review bombing, and making final judgements on the show before the season is up. Heck without even seeing it for many.

And Im with Rob, that it was Okay. Nothing special as of yet. But an interesting enough cliffhanger to keep me watching.

Blakemore

cdtm
Shit, meant to use spoiler tags. I can't edit in spoiler tags, because it did the thing where you can't edit the post at all because it disappears.

It has heavy spoilers, so don't read if you care about being spoiled and may be the mod should delete it, if its an issue.

-Pr-
Here's your post, with the tags:

==

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
Here's your post, with the tags:

==

Thank you! smile

snowdragon
And Clerks was never good. It was just a preachy left wing indie piece of garbage vanity project.

I loved mallrats but have to throw props to dogma wink

cdtm
Originally posted by snowdragon
I loved mallrats but have to throw props to dogma wink

Was wondering why no ons brought it up. thumb up

-Pr-
I might have my issues with the new show, but tbh I can't pretend to be one of these people that thinks Smith is talentless. He's not. Clerks (I particularly love Clerks 2), Dogma, Chasing Amy, Jay and Silent Bob. Hell, even Jersey Girl, mess that it is, has its moments. Even his auditorium shows are great.

The man has talent, even if it works better in his niche than being more broad.

Impediment

Preaching about what? Clerks shiwed the entire world what a determined filmmaker and a vision can accomplish.

Mallrats was nothing but goofiness.

Old Man Whirly!
I liked Dogma very much.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Impediment
Preaching about what? Clerks shiwed the entire world what a determined filmmaker and a vision can accomplish.

Mallrats was nothing but goofiness.

Forgot that one. Really liked that too.

I liked Dogma very much.

It's a really funny movie imo.

Old Man Whirly!
Smith is great imho. I've enjoyed plenty of his comis work too.

-Pr-
Smith is great imho. I've enjoyed plenty of his comis work too.

It's a mixed bag for me. I liked his Green Arrow, but his Batman was just ****ing weird.

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!
It's a mixed bag for me. I liked his Green Arrow, but his Batman was just ****ing weird. I enjoyed both. His Daredevil and Hitgirl respectively were also good. Hell, even his Spidey is O.K.

-Pr-
I enjoyed both. His Daredevil and Hitgirl respectively were also good. Hell, even his Spidey is O.K.

I thought his DD was okay, though I don't think I've read the other two.

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam_PoE

"No true scottsman"?

cdtm
Originally posted by Robtard

Seeing people lose their shit over a He-Man cartoon though is highly entertaining to me. 10 out of 10 here. Bravo, Mr. Smith.

I'll cop to enjoying my share of meltdowns in the past.

Kevin Smith is really biting his nose to spite his face against the fans though.

I mean, lets be realistic, you aren't shaming people into liking or disliking anything. Contrarians or provocateurs you can attack, but if your enemy is the very people you're shilling to, there's a problem.

Old Man Whirly!
I thought his DD was okay, though I don't think I've read the other two. both worth a butchers

Robtard
I really like to enjoyed 6 or 7 of his films.

His last film though, the Jay and Silent Bob reboot was garbage though. That was a sad attempt.

His "Killroy Was Here" is set to drop this year, another horror/comedy film. Azita Ghanizada is in it. MMmmmmMMm, MMMmm.

cdtm
I watched Clerks for the first time last night. How did Jay and Silent Bob get so popular? They were alright, but didn't exactly stand out from the cast.

-Pr-
both worth a butchers

I'll try not to forget, though it might be a while. I'm disappointed about this whole thing tbh.

Blakemore
ZZ5LpwO-An4 documentary footage of Kevin Smith. I wish someone replied to this.

Robtard
If it makes you feel better, I did chuckle at that post.

Blakemore
😊

Impediment

Blakemore

KingD19

Adam_PoE
"No true scottsman"?

No, as the person who is the most invested in the franchise, I am the most protective of it. So if the person who is the most resistant to changes has no problems with it, then why should you or anyone else?

Bashar Teg
"No true scottsman"?

https://i.imgur.com/5tFHvpx.gif

^^more factually incorrect dingbat nonsense

"no true scotsman" is when you attempt to casually dismiss proof which contradicts your claim, by attempting to invalidate that proof as "no true" example

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."
Person B: "But my uncle Angus is a Scotsman and he puts sugar on his porridge."
Person A: "But no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

but you have fun being you

SquallX

cdtm

cdtm
^^more factually incorrect dingbat nonsense

"no true scotsman" is when you attempt to casually dismiss proof which contradicts your claim, by attempting to invalidate that proof as "no true" example

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."
Person B: "But my uncle Angus is a Scotsman and he puts sugar on his porridge."
Person A: "But no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

but you have fun being you

So what do you see Adam's point as being than?

I read it as him being a super fan is ok with this, meant any fan of He-Man should be ok with that.

That's a falicy, if not the one I cited. Adam's fan cred has no bearing on how other fans feel, nor does it diminish them.

Bashar Teg
maybe you're accusing him of "appeal to false authority"? but he is the kmc authority on MotU, so i don't know what to tell you. "get more mad"?

cdtm
See, the thing of it is, being an expert only makes you an expert on facts.

Someone could know cinema in general and Scorsese in particular inside and out, but hate Raging Bull. That doesn't mean all the neophyte people who love Raging Bull are wrong.

You like what you like.

And for the record, I like the new cartoon. Most fun I've had watching a recenta animation since Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Jmanghan
On the topic of Clerks, maybe it's just because the jokes were no longer super clever or super subtle, but I found Clerks 2 hilarious and still a very good movie.

Both movies paint pictures of their current lives and how things are changing for them.

Blakemore

cdtm
They would be good replacements for Riker and Wesley.

Blakemore
I liked Simon pegg as scottie and pretty much all the cast in the reboot.

Darth Thor
Jokeletor.

His Prankster was actually alright, I don't remember much Joker there.

He briefly voiced Darth Bane in an episode of clone wars. No Joker there at all.

I guess he just thought it was appropriate for this Skeletor.

-Pr-
He briefly voiced Darth Bane in an episode of clone wars. No Joker there at all.

I guess he just thought it was appropriate for this Skeletor.

He's also really good at impressions. I was actually surprised his Skeletor was so reminiscent of his Joker.

It's hard to beat the original though. Classic Skeletor is iconic to anyone that watched the show I would imagine.

Darth Thor
^ It's possible they asked him to use his Joker voice. Because yeah, he can clearly do different voice stuff.

Blakemore

Darth Thor
https://www.cbr.com/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-part-2-evil-lyn-story/amp/

Part 2 focuses heavily on Evil-Lyn.

That sounds way better. Teelas just not that interesting to me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.