Texans can carry weapons open or concealed as of 09-01-21

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/16/texas-constitutional-carry-greg-abbott/

As of September 1, 2021, residential citizens of Texas will be allowed to lawfully carry a firearm, concealed or openly, without a permit.

This is gonna both good and bad.

Lots of YouTube lawyers and Facebook attorneys are gonna get arrested or drawn down on.

I own several firearms and already have my concealed carry license, but it required a lot of paperwork and classroom time. Just because I'm a veteran doesn't make me a firearms law expert.

Opinions?

Klaw
Originally posted by Impediment

As of September 1, 2021, residential citizens Texas will be allowed to lawfully carry a firearm, concealed or openly, without a permit.

Lots of YouTube lawyers and Facebook attorneys are gonna get arrested or drawn down on.

I own several firearms and already have my concealed carry license, but it required a lot of paperwork and classroom time. Just because I'm a veteran doesn't make me a firearms law expert.

Opinions?

I guess the real issue is, are the state and federal laws enough to ensure the people who can carry guns are safe?

cdtm

As of September 1, 2021, residential citizens Texas will be allowed to lawfully carry a firearm, concealed or openly, without a permit.

Opinions?

This is a great thing imo. The idea that firearms need to be hidden goes against basic common sense.

It's the equivilent of saying a club bouncer needs to look like a weakling, when the fact is you WANT a bully boy who looks as imposing as possible, so no one even tries testing them.

By the same logic, if I see someone with a gun I sure wouldn't mess with such a person. More confrontations diffused from just knowing someone is openly armed.

Bashar Teg
texASS and floriDUH, still competing to be the official retard state....but floriDUH already won, with this week's record breaking new covid cases, juxtaposed wirh their anti-science trumper maggot governor preparing to send all children to class, im pretty sure the contest is over.

cdtm
Keep up the racist fighting to disarm blacks Teg. thumb up

Bashar Teg
that's nice, 24/7 tryhard troll who never signs off thumb up

Blakemore

BackFire

Opinions?

Full disclosure - I don't own a gun, I have never fired a gun, I have no interest in them whatsoever. However, that last part where you say you had to do a lot of paperwork and take a class sounds like the kind of stuff everyone should have to do in order to carry a concealed weapon. Seems like a reasonable price to pay to prove that you actually mentally and emotionally capable of handling a deadly weapon safely.

Blakemore

Impediment

BackFire

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by BackFire
Full disclosure - I don't own a gun, I have never fired a gun, I have no interest in them whatsoever. However, that last part where you say you had to do a lot of paperwork and take a class sounds like the kind of stuff everyone should have to do in order to carry a concealed weapon. Seems like a reasonable price to pay to prove that you actually mentally and emotionally capable of handling a deadly weapon safely.

This is Imp we're talking about. We all know he's batshit to the maximum degree possible.

Blakemore
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
This is Imp we're talking about. We all know he's batshit to the maximum degree possible. that was sarcasm, right? laughing out loud

jaden_2.0
No. He's a fully certified maniac. 100% loco ese.

Blakemore
ermmnone

Newjak

Opinions? This isn't even going backwards to me because the wild west wasn't even this ridiculous.

Gun laws in many of those red states are less restrictive then they were during the western expansion days of the U.S.

It's a fantasy world where modern conservatives want to live where the good guys just pull out their guns and solve every problem.

The biggest problem is there are so many things that can quickly turn a 'good' guy with a gun into bad guy with a gun. A quick temper, alcohol, a life crisis event, a mental breakdown.

And to me the biggest thing that's going to cause trouble is half these people don't have the training to take up this responsibility and it's going to get people hurt.

cdtm
Originally posted by Newjak
This isn't even going backwards to me because the wild west wasn't even this ridiculous.

Gun laws in many of those red states are less restrictive then they were during the western expansion days of the U.S.

It's a fantasy world where modern conservatives want to live where the good guys just pull out their guns and solve every problem.

The biggest problem is there are so many things that can quickly turn a 'good' guy with a gun into bad guy with a gun. A quick temper, alcohol, a life crisis event, a mental breakdown.

And to me the biggest thing that's going to cause trouble is half these people don't have the training to take up this responsibility and it's going to get people hurt.

Texas isn't exactly a hotbed of gun violence.

Guns don't necessarily mean violence.

Blakemore

Newjak
Originally posted by cdtm
Texas isn't exactly a hotbed of gun violence.

Guns don't necessarily mean violence. Statistically we know that to not be true.

Now are guns the only thing that leads violence. Of course not. Poverty, improper educations, and little social programs are the environments that lead to more crime.

Guns facilitate the ability to perform more efficient violence though. Making violence a more realistic outcome.

We've seen how violent crimes are effected in countries with less access to guns after all.

Old Man Whirly!
Statistically we know that to not be true.

Now are guns the only thing that leads violence. Of course not. Poverty, improper educations, and little social programs are the environments that lead to more crime.

Guns facilitate the ability to perform more efficient violence though. Making violence a more realistic outcome.

We've seen how violent crimes are effected in countries with less access to guns after all. So many excellent posts today, but this might be the best thumb up

cdtm
Statistically we know that to not be true.

We've seen how violent crimes are effected in countries with less access to guns after all.

Alright, even if I accept that as 100% true, the main question when it comes to really anything in the US isn't how it affects statistics. The question is whether individual liberties should be curtailed despite them.

Let's say we found out car accidents dropped 1000% by banning alcohol. I'd still argue against a ban on alcohol, for the reason that I believe individual freedoms trump just about anything. I mean, you don't know "I" will get into a drunken accident. Any more than you know I'd use a gun in an act of violence, or a suicide, or much of anything else.

So why should my freedom be curtailed, because someone somewhere will do all the wrong things? That shouldn't be my responsibility, and I shouldn't need to pay for it.

You may call this selfish, and it is. But you must also realize your logic can be applied on multiple levels for multiple issues.

Would you be ok giving up driving a personal vehicle for the environment?

Would you be ok with a ban on snack junk foods or soda's, for health purposes?

I mean, where is the line between what's good for the community, and what's right for the individual?

snowdragon
MO has some of the most lax laws in the USA for purchasing a gun and we are ranked something like 5th highest gun violence state.......now granted most of the handgun violence is in KC and St louis but alot of that is due to poverty and large plots of abandoned housing due to said violence.

One technology I wish we used would be a grip that only lets the gun shoot with your fingerprint as an example (is this even available, I'm not sure.)

Newjak
Alright, even if I accept that as 100% true, the main question when it comes to really anything in the US isn't how it affects statistics. The question is whether individual liberties should be curtailed despite them.

Let's say we found out car accidents dropped 1000% by banning alcohol. I'd still argue against a ban on alcohol, for the reason that I believe individual freedoms trump just about anything. I mean, you don't know "I" will get into a drunken accident. Any more than you know I'd use a gun in an act of violence, or a suicide, or much of anything else.

So why should my freedom be curtailed, because someone somewhere will do all the wrong things? That shouldn't be my responsibility, and I shouldn't need to pay for it.

You may call this selfish, and it is. But you must also realize your logic can be applied on multiple levels for multiple issues.

Would you be ok giving up driving a personal vehicle for the environment?

Would you be ok with a ban on snack junk foods or soda's, for health purposes?

I mean, where is the line between what's good for the community, and what's right for the individual?

That's a great question. And probably only one that really should us any pause for enacting proper gun control.

Here's the thing though.

You assume you must always outright ban these things and that is an extreme point.

You bring up drunk driving but you're also ignoring that we have laws in place to prevent these things from happening. We also implemented things like Uber and Lyft into our social constructs to make drinking and driving much less likely.

So you can talk about those topics but you must do so with the idea that we are actively limiting those ideas as you speak right now.

So it's not a fair comparison because if we were doing the same things with guns they would already be much more restricted.

Also just because you want to be selfish doesn't you should be allowed to be selfish.

Generally it's a balance of how much your personal decisions effect the lives of others. And here is the thing guns to me are not a necessary part of our social lives. We should be limiting them.

Also it's not always about limiting personal freedoms as it about providing better alternatives. For instance with driving. I would totally take public transport if it were more reliable.

And in cities where that is the case you tend to see less pollution from personal vehicles.

We are also trying to limit the amount of the pollution by making vehicles more efficient.

So there is a lot to unpack in your statement but the simple answer to me is that guns don't fall into most other things.

They aren't vital for people to function. They aren't generally limited to only safe harm and by actively making them more widespread they actively create problems.

To me the best solution would be limiting guns to shooting sports and if your job requires one. All of which would need a healthy investment from the person wanting to participate.

Also the problem with comparing guns directly to alcohol like most drugs is that drugs are easy to black manufacture thus circumventing the issue. It's much more effective to legalize them and offer free counseling services to deal with the negative impacts of them.

Guns don't fall into that category. Most people don't take guns and develops an physical dependency on them. They aren't easy to manufacture at home. They require materials that can be made harder to get then what it takes to make alcohol and drugs.

There is no shooting withdrawal symptoms from guns as well.

Robtard
You're going to have people who know almost nothing about basic gun safety walking around with concealed weapons. What could go wrong.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/604280efe975324122741082bc3f2f42/tenor.gif

you get thorns
Most people who are going to carry in Texas already do with or without a LTC. The only thing that changes on Sept.1 is you can carry it around in public places without a permit. People carry legally in their vehicles every day. People carry at their place of employment every day. People have them placed strategically in their homes every day. You will not be able to carry in a business that sells booze regardless. Fools do foolish things daily. Legally carrying a gun will not make it more likely that someone will get shot. Most people in this thread have the mindset that guns should be restricted. The assault weapons ban that was around a few years ago was limited to sales of new guns. It didn't do anything about guns already out there. It also just limited the magazine capacity. There was no restriction on the gun itself. If someone can't hit me witth 18 shots then he or she probably doesn't have much hope of hitting me with 9 from the same gun. If someone can't defend them selves with 18........

Most of the LTC class is concerning how not to end up in jail after you shoot someone.Don't believe me? Take one. Honestly, the shooting part of the LTC training I could probably pass with my eyes closed. Very close range with your own gun. Gun safety is taught in the home. No guns in your home. No need for training. Oops, your kid went to a friends house and friends uncle Eddie left his pistol there when he ran to the store for smokes. Probably should have taught your kid about guns. But Sharon's mom kept it in her purse. Little Billy pulled it out on his own. I know, these adults should have been more careful with their guns. That doesn't make anyone else less responsible for teaching their kids how not to end up shooting themself or someone else.

Interesting the difference of opinions.

There are almost 400,000,000 guns in private hands in the U.S. People aren't bad until after they do wrong. We going to just assume the worst about everyone and act accordingly?

cdtm
Originally posted by Robtard
You're going to have people who know almost nothing about basic gun safety walking around with concealed weapons. What could go wrong.

Why would that be? Carry conceal usually entails training just about anywhere.

I mean, it's not like they're passing out guns like candy to anyone who asks.

Impediment

cdtm

Impediment

Robtard
Why would that be? Carry conceal usually entails training just about anywhere.

I mean, it's not like they're passing out guns like candy to anyone who asks.

The point is that is going out the window next month: "As of September 1, 2021, residential citizens Texas will be allowed to lawfully carry a firearm, concealed or openly, without a permit."

Texas has some of the most lenient gun laws laws in the country as is and now those people can carry their guns out in public without a single safety class under their belts.

You're potentially going to have wannabe heroes pulling of their piece when it's not warranted and what happens when a bunch of wannabe heroes without basic gun safety start flashing their guns.

Newjak
The point is that is going out the window next month: "As of September 1, 2021, residential citizens Texas will be allowed to lawfully carry a firearm, concealed or openly, without a permit."

Texas has some of the most lenient gun laws laws in the country as is and now those people can carry their guns out in public without a single safety class under their belts.

You're potentially going to have wannabe heroes pulling of their piece when it's not warranted and what happens when a bunch of wannabe heroes without basic gun safety start flashing their guns. It's almost like the wild west already saw this happen and implemented gun safety laws to curb the problems with guns in the 1800s

Robtard
Going to be interesting to see what effect this has on gun violence and potentially violent gun related situations in TX. Up, down, no change.

Bashar Teg

did you remember to steal all my jokes? uhuh

Robtard
You don't own Fredo gifs :/

Impediment
I'm gonna have to buy a shoulder holster for my 40. It simply doesn't feel right being holstered in my belt.

Robtard
Lot's of danger going to the comic book store, eh?

Old Man Whirly!
I'm gonna have to buy a shoulder holster for my 40. It simply doesn't feel right being holstered in my belt. Originally posted by Robtard
Lot's of danger going to the comic book store, eh? Does Broly visit the same store? If so, I see Imp as Wyatt Earp and Broly and Eon/Klaw as the Clanton's. It corrected Clanton's to Clinton's which in itself is hilarious.

Impediment
Lot's of danger going to the comic book store, eh?

Lots of angry fanboys who haven't been laid since GW was in the White House.

Impediment
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Does Broly visit the same store? If so, I see Imp as Wyatt Earp and Broly and Eon/Klaw as the Clanton's. It corrected Clanton's to Clinton's which in itself is hilarious.

laughing out loud

Broly lives about 30 minutes north of San Antonio.

I live on the west side of SA.

Old Man Whirly!
laughing out loud

Broly lives about 30 minutes north of San Antonio.

I live on the west side of SA. That is a result for you! thumb up laughing I breathe a sigh of relief, Broly challenging you to a gun fight is reduced greatly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.