There is no radical left in the United States, period.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Our worst protest was overblown by the right as the Stonewall Riots or something. It really WAS mostly peaceful protests. Compare Black Lives Matter or Antifa to uprising in the same year or two. It was social unrest for REFORM WITHIN THE CURRENT SYSTEM, not REGIME CHANGE.

And what's so radical about speaking your mind about things that affect you and your community directly? I can't think of a more anti-radical position than argumentation.

And what else is this radical left doing? Buying comic book with lgbt representation? Seeing movies with a black actor replacing a white comic book character? Changes done by businessmen to sell a product? In other words, bog standard consumerism?

Such a radical concept!

I dunno, show me this radical left, because I sure can't seem to find them.

Bashar Teg
only people i can think of as "the radical left" in america live on hippy commumes in the middle if nowhere and have cowshit between their toes.

Klaw
KMC is full of Radical Leftists.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Klaw
KMC is full of Radical Leftists. Hi Eon

Klaw
Oh, and this belief that there is no "Radical Left" in the United States is complete nonsense.

Just look at some of the people running for office, look at younger people (Gen Z for example).

They're as radical as you'll find, and they're insane.

Old Man Whirly!
xjUA3RU4B8E This song encapsulates the radical left in the UK of my generation. This is what raised us people from between the wars like my Grandfather who was a gas engineer.

Robtard
Originally posted by Klaw
Oh, and this belief that there is no "Radical Left" in the United States is complete nonsense.

Just look at some of the people running for office, look at younger people (Gen Z for example).

They're as radical as you'll find, and they're insane.

You sound like a radical Rightist right there :/

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!

NemeBro
I'm certainly a radical leftist.

NewGuy01
The left exists, but is godawful at mobilizing.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by cdtm
And what else is this radical left doing? Buying comic book with lgbt representation? Seeing movies with a black actor replacing a white comic book character? Changes done by businessmen to sell a product? In other words, bog standard consumerism?

No thats not what the left are asking for at all. Certainly not the radical left.

They want Medicare for all, an end to the foreign wars, an end to the war on drugs, an end to support for big business over the people who actually need it.

They tried to force a vote on Medicare at all, but that didnt get enough support. Nina Turner was a big hope for them, but thats gone the wrong way, mostly due to corporate money. The left want an end to corporate money entering political campaigns.

The radical left want more police accountability as well. And do everything they can to get equal opportunities for everyone, in spite of the level of income your parents had or the area you grew up in.

Originally posted by NewGuy01
The left exists, but is godawful at mobilizing.

Yeah that is a problem.

Blakemore
The left want to end the death penalty and get free education.

cdtm
Originally posted by Darth Thor
No thats not what the left are asking for at all. Certainly not the radical left.

They want Medicare for all, an end to the foreign wars, an end to the war on drugs, an end to support for big business over the people who actually need it.

They tried to force a vote on Medicare at all, but that didnt get enough support. Nina Turner was a big hope for them, but thats gone the wrong way, mostly due to corporate money. The left want an end to corporate money entering political campaigns.

The radical left want more police accountability as well. And do everything they can to get equal opportunities for everyone, in spite of the level of income your parents had or the area you grew up in.

Yeah that is a problem.

But is any of that really "radical"?

All sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Old Man Whirly!
-3xUPpkxAco

Scribble

The radical left want more police accountability as well. And do everything they can to get equal opportunities for everyone, in spite of the level of income your parents had or the area you grew up in. That's just sort of general-left. Most of the Democratic party are 'liberals', 'centrists', imo fairly right-of-centre on economic issues, so actual left-wing members seem 'far-left', 'radical left' by comparison.

To be 'radical left' you must want an end to capitalism in all of its forms. That's a basic entry requirement.

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Blakemore
I bring you back to this post. and in the 90's to be honest without the electoral college in the US and with proportional representation they would be in the UK.

Old Man Whirly!
Not forgetting the late 50s, 60's,70's,00's in the UK and to a lesser degree the US, the anti Vietnam war and CND for example.

Scribble
Hmm. Thinking about it, I'd like to amend my last post. 'Radicalism' is broader than the extent of belief in or support for a cause or ideology.

So I'd say 'radical left' can be used in different ways. One is the definition I used before, to describe 'extreme left-wing' or 'far-left' or what have you. But radicalism can also describe those who use more extreme tactics regardless of their beliefs. So that broadens the definition somewhat; those who take part in direct action (such as the extreme sides of protesting, all the way to assassination and revolutionary tactics) could also be considered even if they aren't entirely opposed to capitalism.

That said, most of them probably are. For example a radical 'green' activist might not be entirely opposed to capitalism, but the chances are that they are, because they recognise that only by removing the earth-salting capitalist machine could saving the planet be possible; if they didn't, they'd just keep voting or whatever, thinking that ordinary politics could garner positive results (it won't).

So whilst I'd still say that generally when one thinks of the 'radical left', full opposition to capitalism is a staple concept, I wanted to make clear that there are exceptions. Also, obviously, not all 'radical leftists' engage in extreme methods to further their ideological goals. Most just sit around posting long-winded messages on the internet.

Old Man Whirly!
Supporting radical ideas does not require radical action it requires strong belief. Jeremy Corbyn was a radical leftist but also a pacifist. For instance I:

Keep the faith (in my fellow man) smile

Stay Whirly (I stay true to me and my beliefs where I can) rock

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!

Scribble
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Supporting radical ideas does not require radical action it requires strong belief. Jeremy Corbyn was a radical leftist but also a pacifist. For instance I:

Stay Whirly (I stay true to me and my beliefs where I can) rock I'd say pacifism can be a radical action, in the context of a violent world. But yeah, I agree, generally

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Scribble
I'd say pacifism can be a radical action, in the context of a violent world. But yeah, I agree, generally I also agree sometimes pacifism is radical.

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!

Stay Whirly (I stay true to me and my beliefs where I can) rock

A belief against an evil that makes no effect to remove that evil is about as relevent to politic as a gentle breeze on a wind farm.

It's the happy tyrant who rules a nation of unyielding pacifists.

Blakemore

cdtm

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!
The pen is mightier than the sword. The word is the way. Radical action can simply be words creating a shared mindset. This is sometimes displayed physically outside the framework of society like the deviant behavior of Jan 6. But it can also be displayed in the ballot box, e.g. Trump's radicalism failing to quiet moderation.

Scribble
Ted Kaczynski knew: the pen is mightier than the sword, but the pipe bomb is the most powerful of all.

Blakemore
Or plutonium.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Scribble
Ted Kaczynski knew: the pen is mightier than the sword, but the pipe bomb is the most powerful of all. As did the IRA...Originally posted by Blakemore
Or plutonium. or an open laboratory door!

Adam_PoE
Nina Turner was a big hope for them, but thats gone the wrong way, mostly due to corporate money. The left want an end to corporate money entering political campaigns.

Nina Turner had corporate and PAC money too. In fact, she outraised her opponent 2 to 1. It is almost like the influence of money in campaigns is over-stated.

Nina Turner lost, because of Nina Turner. She is a shitty candidate, who runs her stupid mouth, and gets herself in trouble.

Her loss should be a giant wake-up call to the left, that shitting on Democrats is not a winning strategy for them.

Democratic voters like the Democratic Party and Democratic politicians. That is why they are Democrats. What a shocker, I know.

Klaw
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
It is almost like the influence of money in campaigns is over-stated.

Yup.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.