Rank these assets in combat.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ShadowFyre
Probably been done before. Assume all stats are maxed out up to but not above a universal level. (Speed-flash, intelligence-reed, prep-batman etc.)

In no particular order

1. Prep
2. Speed
3. Healing Factor
4. Strength
5. Invulnerability
6. Intelligence
7. Energy projection/manipulation
8. Item (mjolnir,gl ring, quantum bands etc.)
9. Daddy come save me (a powerful being that will help when needed (Odin, trigon, Zeus etc. )

DarkSaint85
Prep, Speed and Intelligence are top for me. Then invulnerability, assuming no BFR.

Then daddy.

Then energy manip/projection, which ties with the item I guess.

Smurph

abhilegend
Strength is almost always the trump card in comics. There are exceptions, sure but probably 95 times out of 100 you'll see somebody punch really hard to solve all the problems.

abhilegend

Wonder Man

Smurph
Originally posted by abhilegend
Speed and energy projections are almost always the biggest jobbers in comics ability wise. And strength is infinitely less useful on the forum. Hulk is hulk.

StiltmanFTW
Well said.

Reed, Pym and McCoy are often totally helpess in combat... but when they have prep, it's a different story.

Wonder Man
Intelligence improves communication so teamwork can win and can contend with prep time.

Wonder Man
It can be used solo like how Spider-Man talks to his opponents to disarm them.

ShadowFyre
Yeah, intelligence is kind of useless without prep but I felt like they were distinguishable enough

DarkSaint85
Yeah, we've seen Amadeus doing things with almost no prep, but with intelligence (throwing shrapnel to blow missiles up etc) - and he's only meant to be the 8th smartest.

Conversely, prep without intelligence isn't that useful - imagine giving Rhino a day's prep lol, Vs say, Banner.

Smurph

qwertyuiop1998
TBH, I think there is also the factor that sometimes Speed and Intelligence seem to be mixed in some degree.

For examples:
Originally posted by Galan007
^ Barry(in the DCnU) has also used his speed to calculate an infinite number of possibilities, in the space of a single page:
http://i.imgur.com/6piHQXs.jpg

smile

And:
https://ibb.co/pxR6HZh
https://ibb.co/5824TjT
https://ibb.co/yXrYXrG

And:
Originally posted by qwertyuiop1998
Barring Flash, Who can read every medical text ever published in seconds?
https://static5.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11119/111196008/4528710-wc93kno.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Oo2ntXb.jpg

The time period
https://ibb.co/Rc8Kxmn
And Superman also points out superspeed and superintelligence connect to each other
Originally posted by qwertyuiop1998
I knew this probably has been done to death....But yeah, Superspeed and Superintelligence probably are the most broken basic powers

https://ibb.co/R68nShh

carver9
Strength is always the deciding factor tbh.

Smurph
Originally posted by abhilegend
Strength is almost always the trump card in comics. There are exceptions, sure but probably 95 times out of 100 you'll see somebody punch really hard to solve all the problems. Originally posted by carver9
Strength is always the deciding factor tbh.

Abhi and Carv, bffs

ShadowFyre
I've always assumed that strength always ended up winning due to

1. Writers lack of imagination/writing ability

2. Seeing the end shot be a physical punch is about the only attack regular ol Humans can relate to

And I suppose intelligence and prep would benefit the most from speed,

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
I've always assumed that strength always ended up winning due to

1. Writers lack of imagination/writing ability

2. Seeing the end shot be a physical punch is about the only attack regular ol Humans can relate to

And I suppose intelligence and prep would benefit the most from speed,

Look at how little strength is used in BZs. That tells us prep is king. Then the usual go-to is a speedblitz.

Even Carv and Abhi would never rely on strength in a BZ. Comic fights are one thing- on a forum, with no PIS (and arguably no CIS), just punching something really hard doesn't cut it.

Strong brick types in comics, also have durability/HF backing them up, incidentally, if not speed. Because writers know that a strong brick is useless without the other powers.

OTOH, you can have speed without durability (Flash), durability without strength (Brick), HFs without strength (Wolverine) etc etc.....

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Yeah, we've seen Amadeus doing things with almost no prep, but with intelligence (throwing shrapnel to blow missiles up etc) - and he's only meant to be the 8th smartest.

Conversely, prep without intelligence isn't that useful - imagine giving Rhino a day's prep lol, Vs say, Banner.

To be fair, that's Pak-Math, which is a superpower in its own.

Pak's Leader was Bullseye-lite laughing out loud

Philosophía
I put prep and intelligence in the same category -- yes, you can be smart but not have big resources to prep, but you can aquire them if needed. That said, in terms of forum fights, prep is one of those things you kind of need some leeway from the person you're talking to in order to actually have a discussion -- especially once you move away from the Reed/Doom/Batman's of the world who have a variety of prep-tech/feats to choose from against a multitude of abilities and types of characters.

In comics the way it usually works is:
"How does Doom counter Magneto?" Well, he has anti-electromagnetic Magneto prep. Ok.
"How does Lex Luthor counter Martian Manhunter?" Well, it just so happens that he has prepped to negate both telepathy and shapeshifting from Martian Manhunter. Ok.
"How does Batman counter Wonder Woman?" Well, he just so happens to have an anti-Wonder Woman lasso. Ok. etc.
But on the forum, if you go "How does Batman counter Thor?", it's generally not accepted to simply say "He's smart and resourceful, he'd make an anti-uru device" or "how does Doom counter Captain Marvel?" to simply say "Oh, he's smart, he'd create something to cut him off from the gods". And we've not even gotten into characters with intelligence/prep that don't have the showings the top ones have, where making a case is much harder. In that sense, sometimes prep fights don't dwelve into possibilities, but more into "who built the biggest armor?" or "who created the biggest gun?" -- which kind of makes it overlap with some other categories.

I think speed is the most broken ability -- for most of the items on the list there's some sort of counter, but with speed it's either you have it, or you don't, and the answer to these questions take the answer to a thread towards one extreme or the other. It's moved past even the basic "I not only can not get hit, but I can hit you as many times as I want and you have no ideea the fight has even started" . Even the extended applications like intangibility, invisibility, infinite-mass punchiness etc.. Now it can also be "You'll fight a nigh-infinite number of time clones and they'll kill you before you even open your eyes at the start of the match. Oh you also have some speed? Let me steal that, too." I know the latter is not really a forum part, only tourney, but the fact that it's an options is absurd.

I think healing factor and durability are nice to survive, but unless you're in a team-setting and you're just there to be used as a shield or whatnot, it's just prolonging the inevitable, unless your opponent has few options or shitty stamina. They're only moderately good in tandem with another ability to make you a tank, but even so it can only take you so far until you come up against somebody with abilities that you simply don't have an answer to when you can't punch . Strength gets you through most of the comic book fights but, as above, you kind of need something more to go along with it for the most complex fights . Energy projection/manipulation is pretty great, but most of the time it encounters a 'tank' it gets shitcanned -- I think the potential for bullshit on this is high in terms of what it can allow you to do Hulk is Hulk energy is energy" card: https://ibb.co/TM3kZpR -- though his whole thing is that he can manipulate all energy, even magic, so eh] It's good for when you want to get tricky --but in terms of 'raw' stuff the strength/invulnerability combo mostly allows you to plow through it.

Weapons are good as long as you have them -- I wanted to make a compilation a few years ago of how many times Thor drops Mjolnir when he gets hit in a fight, but I stopped at about 25-30 times since I didn't have the patience to keep going. They leave the character vulnerable in as far as if they get removed , he's kind of caught with his pants down. But, I think a Green Lantern ring or Mjolnir or whatnot takes you very far on the forum in terms of options, as long as you're proficient with it and don't use it to blast, or bludgeon. Maybe surprisingly I think weapons are generally portrayed as more powerful than characters with the innate abilities sans-weapons , though I'm sure there's counter examples. Sometimes characters with innate abilities are even shown as more vulnerable to losing their power than the ones who have weapons, funnily enough.

Daddy come save me is essentially having other characters fight for you, which is shit. I will ignore it.

So if I had to rank, in comics it's something like:

Strength/Prep
Weapons/Invulnerability
Energy/Speed
Healing

On the forum , it's something like:
Speed
Intelligence/Prep
Weapons
Energy projection/manipulation
Strength
Healing/Invulnerability

-ish

StiltmanFTW
With his fist, silly.

h1a8
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Probably been done before. Assume all stats are maxed out up to but not above a universal level. (Speed-flash, intelligence-reed, prep-batman etc.)

In no particular order

1. Prep
2. Speed
3. Healing Factor
4. Strength
5. Invulnerability
6. Intelligence
7. Energy projection/manipulation
8. Item (mjolnir,gl ring, quantum bands etc.)
9. Daddy come save me (a powerful being that will help when needed (Odin, trigon, Zeus etc. )

Depends on the setting.
In a forum speed is king, even above prep.
With prep you are still not allowed to make an action before the bell. You can't booby trap the battlefield either.
That means you become frozen when the bell rings against someone sufficiently faster.

1. Speed
2. Energy projection/manipulation
3. Items
4. Strength
5. Daddy
6. Invulnerability, healing, intelligence

I left prep out because it depends on the rules (can you booby trap the field prior? Can you start with shields (armor, defenses, etc) already on? Or you can bring the mechanism but not have it activated (equipped)?

2. trumps 1. because it can do what 1. does but doesn't have the weakness of been lost (GL ring taken, dropped Mjolnir, etc).

5. is weaker than 4. because you would have gotten killed with a thunderclap before you can call daddy. Or koed/dead when daddy arrives.

Intelligence, healing, and invulnerability are all useless against the above assuming nothing else to go with them.

/thread

DarkSaint85

ODG
thumb up thumb down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.