RE: Mace Windu and Sidious Battle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ozz81
Thought will ask as I was a bit confused with this : when Mace fought Sids did Mace defeat him fairly or did Sids fake and feign it to lose on purpose to turn and lure Aniken to the dark side etc ?

Tzeentch
Sideous was toying with him. Despite being the 2nd most powerful Jedi in the order Mace was apparently a literal ****ing retard and completely useless in lightsaber combat according to canon.

Zenwolf

JediMaster97
People have been debating this every since ROTS was released.

Even in canon, there are now contradicting quotes and statements regarding this question. I doubt we'll ever get a clear answer.

juyomaster34
To underestimate Mace's mastery in light saber combat is foolish.
We got a clear answer, and that answer is yes Mace defeated Sidious in lightsaber combat.

relentless1
its been confirmed recently that Sidious did in fact take a dive in that fight

Darth Thor
Originally posted by relentless1
its been confirmed recently that Sidious did in fact take a dive in that fight

I think it said Sidious was toying with Mace.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by JediMaster97
People have been debating this every since ROTS was released.

Even in canon, there are now contradicting quotes and statements regarding this question. I doubt we'll ever get a clear answer.

This.

relentless1
I always go back to Sidious vs the Zabrak brothers and his treatment of the other three Jedi that accompanied Mace. Due TOYED with them ALL... as if a child was trying to fight an adult lol thats way too strong to track with the idea that he lost to Windu it doesn't make sense, even Yoda lost ground to Sidious and he's stronger than Mace so its never sat well with me that somehow Mace could actually best this juggernaut

McP
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I think it said Sidious was toying with Mace.

Seems like he did in previous version of their fight. It look's cool, doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0hxI9Yh_GM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTIuhoItHxw

Darth Thor
Originally posted by McP
Seems like he did in previous version of their fight. It look's cool, doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0hxI9Yh_GM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTIuhoItHxw

It does.

Doesnt look like toying though, but does make Palpatine out to be the better of the two.

even Yoda lost ground to Sidious and he's stronger than Mace so its never sat well with me that somehow Mace could actually best this juggernaut

Yeah but they were different fights. The no.2 guy can sometimes get the edge over the No.1 guy, so that bit I never had an issue with.

I just didnt like Mace being > Dooku and Anakin stick out tongue

NemeBro
I always go back to Sidious vs the Zabrak brothers and his treatment of the other three Jedi that accompanied Mace. Due TOYED with them ALL... as if a child was trying to fight an adult lol thats way too strong to track with the idea that he lost to Windu it doesn't make sense, even Yoda lost ground to Sidious and he's stronger than Mace so its never sat well with me that somehow Mace could actually best this juggernaut

Because all of the retard canon that states or implies unequivocally that Yoda was better than Mace at everything is retard non-Lucas canon written by retards for retards.

"As wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu"
- Anakin Skywalker

"You have to be either Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor," Lucas says. "If Anakin hadn't got all beat up, he could've beat the Emperor."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 204

Lucas, for all his flaws, isn't a dumb fanboy like the people who fleshed out the world he created and as such didn't place OT characters like Yoda and Palpatine on an arbitrary pedestal at the detriment of the setting. Sidious being an unassailable Villain Sue who is casually better than the best swordsman of the Jedi Order (only not really because Yoda is better than Mace at that in a post-Lucas world huehuehuehue) at lightsaber combat is retarded schlock writing. Much better would be if the two times he actually was forced to enter martial combat with a similarly powerful foe were the closest he ever came to having his plans legitimately fall apart before RotJ, only for him to save himself against Mace with on the fly manipulation of Anakin.

But no, some people would much prefer the arbitrary and retarded power wanking by midwit EU writers to be validated over having a more compelling story.

Star Wars is garbage as are its fans. thumb up

Tzeentch
I always go back to Sidious vs the Zabrak brothers and his treatment of the other three Jedi that accompanied Mace. Due TOYED with them ALL... as if a child was trying to fight an adult lol thats way too strong to track with the idea that he lost to Windu it doesn't make sense, even Yoda lost ground to Sidious and he's stronger than Mace so its never sat well with me that somehow Mace could actually best this juggernaut That doesn't make sense to me. Power scaling in the PT has always been through magnitudes. Dooku toyed with Obi-Wan and Anakin, toyed with Assaj and Savage, still died to Anakin 1 on 1 eventually. It's not uncommon for one person to be stronger than multiple people combined.

If Mace was the greatest swordsman in the order, as was debatably the case in old canon, it would make sense that he be stronger than Maul+Assaj and the palpatine fight goon squad.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by NemeBro
- Anakin Skywalker
You're failing to take the OOU context into account. It was not taken for granted at the time of Clones' release that Yoda could toss out his cane, whip out a lightsaber, and whirl around a room like a flying beyblade. That was a surprise they were still keeping in their pocket. The audience's ignorance seems to extend to Anakin as well; earlier in the film he was doubtful when Obi-Wan said he wouldn't be Yoda's match in a swordfight, even though it's demonstrated to be a plainly obvious truth later on. Sam also talked about Mace being "supposedly the second baddest person in the universe" on the topic of his swordfighting scenes in Clones' BTS. But I'm sure there's some "post-Lucas" influences at work there, yeah? And the crew was being consulted by midwit EU writers for Revenge's promotional materials and BTS too, surely.

NewGuy01
The idea that Mace was ever supposed to be the supreme swordfighter is the real EU invention here. He's actually the only one among the "nines" who wasn't at some point alleged to be the best by someone on the film crew.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by NewGuy01
The idea that Mace was ever supposed to be the supreme swordfighter is the real EU invention here. There was never any non-EU sources that decisively weighed in either way. Lucas gave us statements like "Mace overpowered Sideous" and "you have to be Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor". You could make an argument that by virtue of Mace beating Palpatine when Yoda couldn't, that would imply that his combat skills are superior. That's a shaky argument, but it's more than anything we've seen from pre-Disney sources that indicates the opposite, that Yoda was the superior combatant.

Darth Thor

- Anakin Skywalker

That doesn't in any way imply Mace > Yoda.

The more relevant lines are from Obi-Wan:

"Not even Master Yoda has a midi-chlorian count that high" - TPM

"If you practiced your saber skills as much as you did your wit you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman" - AOTC

Also Palpatine:

"I see you're becoming the greatest of all the Jedi, even more powerful than Master Yoda". - AOTC

^ All those statements heavily implied Anakin had the potential to be greatest Jedi warrior i.e. better than Yoda.

NemeBro
Originally posted by NewGuy01
You're failing to take the OOU context into account. It was not taken for granted at the time of Clones' release that Yoda could toss out his cane, whip out a lightsaber, and whirl around a room like a flying beyblade. That was a surprise they were still keeping in their pocket. The audience's ignorance seems to extend to Anakin as well; earlier in the film he was doubtful when Obi-Wan said he wouldn't be Yoda's match in a swordfight, even though it's demonstrated to be a plainly obvious truth later on.

Amazing how you assert that Yoda's prowess was an unknown in-universe and OOU while acknowledging that it is directly alluded to in the movie.

"If you practiced your saber skills as much as you did your wit you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

"I thought I already did?"

"Only in your mind my very young apprentice."

Anakin is an arrogant braggart. He was comparing himself to Yoda not because he was underestimating Yoda per say, but overestimating himself, or at least applying hyperbole to his own abilities much like he was Obi's when comparing them to Windu and Sidious.

Sam as in Samuel L. Jackson? As in Samuel L. Jackson the actor who didn't create the characters or story?

Also you and Darth Thor seem to think I am saying Mace Windu is superior to Yoda in a general sense but at no point did I so much as imply that and I'll explain why in my response to him.

The only time "post-Lucas" shows up in my post was in reference to after the final PT film was released. Are you having trouble following the plot?

NemeBro
That doesn't in any way imply Mace > Yoda.

Good, because at no point did I imply that Mace was overall superior in my post.

And indeed, Yoda is the most powerful of all Jedi and his showings in the movie bear this out.

But the margin between Mace and Yoda and Sidious is not nearly as huge as the retards wrote later in the films and there is no reason to think it is. Mace beat Sidious and Yoda didn't. Why is that inconsistent? Do you live in retard world where a fight can only have a single conclusion? Did Joe Frazier not beat Muhammad Ali only to lose to him later and also lose to George Foreman who Ali dismantled? If this happened in a movie would you consider this inconsistent writing?

Mace can still be the most formidable lightsaber duelist while still being overall Yoda's inferior, given that Yoda is stronger in the Force. So what's your problem friend? Why do you prefer a boring story with a boring Villain Sue who is better than everyone else at everything?

Darth Thor
^ You seem to be having an argument that I'm not in. I simply gave dialogue from the movies that clearly indicated Yoda > Windu, nothing more, nothing less.

Now relax nerd.

McP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2RVtDQkv8 <- 5:30, "Mace is second only to Yoda" , and the overall context is about swordplay

Darth Thor
Originally posted by McP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2RVtDQkv8 <- 5:30, "Mace is second only to Yoda" , and the overall context is about swordplay

I think we were looking more for canon evidence (Lucas canon). Although being a featurette might count for something.

McP
^
It was more like an answer for Lucas' opinion about competing with Sidious. All of that, along with Gillard's "levels" etc. is as much canon as my quote. It is not I supposue.

NewGuy01
Amazing how you assert that Yoda's prowess was an unknown in-universe and OOU while acknowledging that it is directly alluded to in the movie.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just arguing in bad faith, and that I don't actually need to explain that there are discrepancies between what different characters know, and how those discrepancies are used to communicate to the audience.

That's the one. Though you'd almost think he did create them, given how you're insinuating his understanding of the role came from his own imagination, and not from the writer-cum-director. I'm sure George would be very impressed with you, having managed to divine his intentions more accurately than the people who worked under his direction.

Hate to break it to you, but by all available accounts, the general sense is the only sense that Lucas ever concerned himself with. Compartmentalizing which Jedi is better at magic weightlifting, which one is better at super-running and jumping, and which one is better at laser sword fencing, is itself the realm of autistic Star Wars nerds like yourself. You might find this hard to swallow, but for normal people, power levels aren't actually an important element of what makes Star Wars a compelling story.

Honestly it seems like you're struggling yourself, so I'll ditch the sarcasm and say it again in plain terms: Your characterization of Yoda/Sidious' supremacy as being EU revisionism is obviously false, because it was evidently the predominant assumption during the second film's production, let alone the third. Meanwhile, your own idea which you insist on attributing to Lucas-- that Mace Windu was supposed to be "the best swordsman in the Jedi Order" --is nowhere to be found... except in later EU materials. You're exactly the kind of person that you're trying to call out here.

You're shifting the goalposts. Neither myself nor Thor said it would be inconsistent writing for the second best to win against the best. In fact, if you'd just eased off your nerd rage and actually read his posts, you'd have noticed that Thor said exactly the opposite:

Yeah but they were different fights. The no.2 guy can sometimes get the edge over the No.1 guy, so that bit I never had an issue with.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.