Can Magneto restrain these guys ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HumbleServant
These guys have on metal armor and Magneto must try to restrain them from moving 5 feet in 1 minute. Who can he restrain?

Colossus
Thing
She Hulk
Namor
Aquaman
Superboy
Power Girl
Wonder Woman
Martian Manhunter
Lobo
Orion
Superman

Classic NES
Stops at Diana

Sin I AM
Stops at Namor

StiltmanFTW
Kills whole legions of Aquamen, including their foul leader, Aquapaul.

ODG
Kinda depends on the metal, no? If their armor is made of aluminum foil, no amount of magnetism is going to work.

HumbleServant
Originally posted by ODG
Kinda depends on the metal, no? If their armor is made of aluminum foil, no amount of magnetism is going to work. Good point. Their armor is made of Adamantium

ShadowFyre
He restrains Colossus through Superboy at the same time.

He starts struggling at Powegirl and probably fails at Orion but makes a comeback when..

He restrains both of Superman's hands behind his back with just one of his own..No powers needed

Carver rips right through the tinfoil.

ODG
Originally posted by HumbleServant
Good point. Their armor is made of Adamantium Everybody then. Except those characters who can phase. Unless phasing is against the OP rules???

HumbleServant
Originally posted by ODG
Everybody then. Except those characters who can phase. Unless phasing is against the OP rules??? Yes. No phasing

ODG
Magneto restrains them all. J'onn has the best chance if he can use his shape-shifting clerverly.

Smurph
^ yes, assuming that Mags is allowed to reform the armor to restrain them.

If the armor is intact and Magneto is just holding it in place while the hero tries to overcome the force of his hold, then the type of metal is irrelevant (although adamantium is actually pretty hard to magnetize isn't it? might just make it tougher for Magneto here)

ODG
^ Repelling and attracting adamantium seemed as easy as any metal. Has Magneto ever commented on how much harder adamantium is to reshape? I think it's in-character for Magneto to just create a thin shell & shackles with thorns that pierce each character's bodies the more they resist than anything.

It's easy for Superman to push/propel a negligible weight of adamantium 5 feet. It's much harder when you have a ferrokinetic resisting that attempt. It's much much harder when you have a ferrokinetic on the level of Magneto doing it. But if Magneto just spikes that crap through your body so that you'd have to tear through your own muscles and organs just to flinch, that's something I see few characters doing.

Smurph
Iirc Claremont or Byrne clarified that adamantium is not magnetic but that Magneto can manipulate anything with an EM field. My (minor) point was just that Magneto could likely exert a relatively stronger hold over a suit of iron than a suit of adamantium.

As for the rest of your post, we agree, I think? This isn't about Superman vs the metal, but Superman (and the rest of the gauntlet) vs Magneto's hold on the metal. And, the thread stips favour Mags if Mags can get creative in the use of his powers to restrain.

The more narrow the meaning of "restrain", the more this is just a plain contest of strength (albeit physical strength vs tk) that favours the gauntlet.

ODG
Originally posted by Smurph
Iirc Claremont or Byrne clarified that adamantium is not magnetic but that Magneto can manipulate anything with an EM field. My (minor) point was just that Magneto could likely exert a relatively stronger hold over a suit of iron than a suit of adamantium.

As for the rest of your post, we agree, I think? This isn't about Superman vs the metal, but Superman (and the rest of the gauntlet) vs Magneto's hold on the metal. And, the thread stips favour Mags if Mags can get creative in the use of his powers to restrain.

The more narrow the meaning of "restrain", the more this is just a plain contest of strength (albeit physical strength vs tk) that favours the gauntlet. Cap's shield wasn't magnetic on-panel either until most every other subsequent appearance clearly showed that his shield was subject to magnetism.

I'd be interested to know if any ferrokinetic ever had to exert themselves more due to adamantium's odd composition rather than straight durability.

Smurph
Beast using a magnet to trap Danger and Ord, knowing it wouldn't also trap Wolverine:

https://i.imgur.com/Fb7rlAr.png

idr if it's been reconfirmed since 2006

ODG
^ It's an interesting scan and I definitely see where one can interpret it that way. The prior page gives more context. But I'm not sure targeted magnetism on those who are "made of metal or wearing way too much if it" isn't the reason other than adamantium simply not being magnetic. Maybe the computer knows not to target adamantium.

But thanks for reminding me of that scan. I'd completely forgotten about it.

Stoic
I think that it also depends on how strong Adamantium is compared to other magnetically positive super alloys.

Who has been trapped in the past? What did it take, and could they free themselves in a decent amount of time?

We could consider it as a pin if they can not free themselves within what? A minute?

The Marvel side is easy, none of them in current canon are breaking out within a minute. DC is a whole other playground.

ODG
^ I think one of the things you have to consider is that even if Magneto made a skin-tight sheath, the characters who can fly can propel themselves. So Magneto has to counteract that flight propulsion.

OP clearly stated that if the opponent moves 5 feet, it's a loss for Magneto.

Granted, none of the Marvel characters has flight except for Namor... and if his feet-wings are compromised, so is his flight. SO you're probably right that the Marvel side is easy.

But even with the DC side, I figured that Magneto would just spike these characters through their bodies so that any attempt at flight propulsion would only backfire. That's why, without phasing, Martian Manhunter has the best chance because he's physically malleable.

DarkSaint85
^or Lobo tears himself apart whilst laughing/swearing at the old mutant bastich

ODG
^ I didn't think about that. Unless Magneto knows to completely encase him, any of Lobo's blood that spills forth from restraints will result in a clone. And if those clones move 5 feet from Lobo's original position, then that is a loss per the OP.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.