KMC Comic Vs Forum The Canon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
Dear Mods, I ask for Historical reasons this thread is not deleted.

I intend to attempt a definitive non-personally-offensive thread listing all the trials and tribulations of the Vs. Forum. A Vs Forum Wiki, if you will. Few of us have been around from the very early years of this forum.

I want to link threads, even some deleted threads, here for future KMCers to understand who we were and how the board was shaped.

I also hope others provide their points of view on some drama and tribulations. Finally, I hope to put candles on the bodies of the lost, so their friends -- if they had any and are still here -- could know them in the dark. AC, JP, Big C, Broly, Armandovalles, Asian Hulk, Judge, and more. Friend or foe, it makes no difference now. It's taken almost twenty years for the moderation to put down the worst of the mob finally. We never knew how many KMCers left in that time before Bada and Imp finally delivered the forum.

My father once told me we were all born of blood and tribulation, so then, too, was our great forum. But for those of us who had lived and fell in those furious early days... it was like everything we knew was mightily swept away. And no matter what they did to build this forum back up again -- for the rest of time -- it would have been like nobody even knew they were ever here.

-Cue this thread!

-Whirly 2022

Galan007
Heh, a compendium like this could actually be pretty fun. There were certainly some gems back in the day. thumb up

...Hard imagining it not turning into a bash-fest, though, but we'll see.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Galan007
Heh, a compendium like this could actually be pretty fun. There were certainly some gems back in the day. thumb up

...Hard imagining it not turning into a bash-fest, though, but we'll see. Most of the Bashers have gone Galan; I mean, in honesty, old pal who is left to Bash. I'm going to try and portray everyone positively. For those like AC, where it's challenging to be positive, I intend to be neutral; I will avoid anything that happened in other forums here or off this forum. It's only going to be about the Vs forum; who gives a shit about the GDF or what someone did on another site etc.

Old Man Whirly!
So it begins in the early days of online forums. The Star Wars prequels were out, and a guy named Raz had created some message boards. The comic board was prevalent on his boards, and from it spun the Versus forum even before Whirly joined. The early versus threads have zero remaining posters, and Mungi and Pr probably the oldest recognisable accounts, with Whirly's proto versions and "the others" proto accounts perhaps slightly predating them. However, these have all been banned or deleted, and Mungi and Pr are the oldest regular posting members here; Leo, Black Rob, Galactic Storm, Scoobless and Digimark also sometimes post. In the days of the forum back then, free comic sites did not exist, scans were in their infancy, and the people who frequented KMC versus were also on other battle boards. Notably, Superherohype, Spacebattles and CBR; the influx from hero chat came later. Hype and Spacebattles still exist, but like KMC have changed over time. In those days, the scans that existed were often misrepresented, leading to rumours that still abound and continuously have to be debunked.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally Vs Battles were limited to this:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f43/t33685.html

The Vs Discussion thread.

Obviously, this was destined to fail and this forum was created.

StyleTime
That's interesting. It happened a little before I joined, so I had no idea the Comics VS forum began like that.

I guess all the Vs forums followed a similar path when they came about in subsequent years.

Diesldude
I joined a few years after the golden age between 2003 -2007 that people spoke about so fondly.

Juntai
Whirly the Chronicler.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Juntai
Whirly the Chronicler. Indeed old pal!

Juntai, like myself, can't make it into the ranks of oldest posters still posting as Pr is 2004, and Juntai and my first Whirlysplat account are 2005. I'm going to jump ahead to this period; 2005 had only Tron and Paola as Mods to start with, but if I'm wrong, someone should correct me. Digi got made a mod, as they only posted or visited a little by 2005. Tron was a good guy, very laid back, Paola banned me a few times, but I never interacted with her. 2005 was also the year ban notes arrived on the bottom of bans.

Alpha Centauri ruled along with Cosmic Cube from 2004 to 2005. The apocryphal story is several threads where Demigawd and Galactic Storm kept defeating AC and drove him off the comics forum. For the time, Demigawd and GS were very knowledgeable posters and highlighted the holes in AG's knowledge, but AC did what many others did, got bored with the Vs section, and spent more time posting in the OTF and GDF.

I am still trying to understand why but 2005 saw an influx of new posters... The board seemed to grow and change; week after week, new people would join and older (by a few months) people would leave.

I also saw for the first time on a message board that people using it were making up for things going on in their offline lives or using a message board to mark time. I had a sickly kid born then and would eventually pass away. It meant the end of my relationship, and things were becoming difficult. I took it out on the people I didn't like at times on this message board. The concept of this now seems ridiculous, not liking people for opinions on comics, but that's how it was. I wasn't the only "power poster" at this time. Several other 2005 Alumni posted a great deal for whatever reasons, and we had quite a community, albeit one that could be toxic.

Some notable posters of this period, the good, the bad and the people who should have posted far less in no particular order.

Late 2004 to mid-2005 posters.

Cmaster
Alpha Centurai
Big Evil
Bardock42
Evolution
Jason8200
Nofate007
Wonderman was a normal account then Originally posted by Maelstrom
I like Magik as the Darkchildeevil, i think she is fine that way, the way she really is after what shes been through.
Asian Hulk
Newjak
Metalmanx
Creshosk
Jrodslam
Marcellous
TheWhiteShadow
Roughrider (who still posts)
Zenoside
Whobdmandog
Draco
K Von Doom
Adam Warlock
Demigawd
Cosmic Cube
PR
Manjaro
Eleven inches
Lord Fear
Scoobless
Swanky Tuna
Ming Tea
Markolin
manorastroman
Linkalicious from that earlier period 2003
Cosmic Flame
Gamma Crush
Next Venom Girl 2004
Yahman
Fiery Balrog
leonheartmm
I=Drop
Long Pig
KEVIL
Cosmo Kramer
Nimbus006
Nigel45
Sea apple
Merciless
Stormfront
Jinzin 2004
Quickfreeze
Mungi
Blair Wind
KGKG
Galactic Storm
Demigard
Iladelph
Leonidas
Khellandros
Dark Crawler
Pr
Nataku
Draco
Digi
Soleran
8bit Chris
Mainstream
Mr. Smiley
Avalonofthe Wind
Srankmissingninja
Scarlet Spider
The Mister
Lord S
Wyndarr
ZephroCarnelian
Supermanandaman
Mr. Sandman
Magee
Manowar
Juntai
Zahit
Colossus 17
Black Rob
Who? Kid
King Kam
Wolverine888
Armandovalles
JPlatinum
Superherovandel
Synchro
Beyonder
Wanderer
Maestro
Xmarksthespot
AJ
The Wickerman (The fist one)
Putar
Will rules
Beyonder
Mider
dawsey28
Primitive Screwhead
Piedmon
Esteemed Leader
Wannabe
biskit13
Xplosive
Grey Fox not the Gray Fox
Darth Vegas
JWangSDC

I may have forgotten some people and got some people down twice as name changes were a thing then. Let's look at some classic notable threads from this period next. smile

StiltmanFTW
Jin posted plenty even loooong after 2004.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Jin posted plenty even loooong after 2004. Many of them did Stilt. and as time goes on we will get to the later times for sure!

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Indeed old pal!

Juntai, like myself, can't make it into the ranks of oldest posters still posting as Pr is 2004, and Juntai and my first Whirlysplat account are 2005. I'm going to jump ahead to this period; 2005 had only Tron and Paola as Mods to start with, but if I'm wrong, someone should correct me. Digi got made a mod, as they only posted or visited a little by 2005. Tron was a good guy, very laid back, Paola banned me a few times, but I never interacted with her. 2005 was also the year ban notes arrived on the bottom of bans.

Alpha Centauri ruled along with Cosmic Cube from 2004 to 2005. The apocryphal story is several threads where Demigawd and Galactic Storm kept defeating AC and drove him off the comics forum. For the time, Demigawd and GS were very knowledgeable posters and highlighted the holes in AG's knowledge, but AC did what many others did, got bored with the Vs section, and spent more time posting in the OTF and GDF.

I am still trying to understand why but 2005 saw an influx of new posters... The board seemed to grow and change; week after week, new people would join and older (by a few months) people would leave.

I also saw for the first time on a message board that people using it were making up for things going on in their offline lives or using a message board to mark time. I had a sickly kid born then and would eventually pass away. It meant the end of my relationship, and things were becoming difficult. I took it out on the people I didn't like at times on this message board. The concept of this now seems ridiculous, not liking people for opinions on comics, but that's how it was. I wasn't the only "power poster" at this time. Several other 2005 Alumni posted a great deal for whatever reasons, and we had quite a community, albeit one that could be toxic.

Some notable posters of this period, the good, the bad and the people who should have posted far less in no particular order.

Late 2004 to mid-2005 posters.

Cmaster
Alpha Centurai
Big Evil
Bardock42
Evolution
Jason8200
Nofate007
Wonderman was a normal account then
Asian Hulk
Newjak
Metalmanx
Creshosk
Jrodslam
Marcellous
TheWhiteShadow
Roughrider (who still posts)
Zenoside
Whobdmandog
Draco
K Von Doom
Adam Warlock
Demigawd
Cosmic Cube
PR
Manjaro
Eleven inches
Lord Fear
Scoobless
Swanky Tuna
Ming Tea
Markolin
manorastroman
Linkalicious from that earlier period 2003
Cosmic Flame
Gamma Crush
Next Venom Girl 2004
Yahman
Fiery Balrog
leonheartmm
I=Drop
Long Pig
KEVIL
Cosmo Kramer
Nimbus006
Nigel45
Sea apple
Merciless
Stormfront
Jinzin 2004
Quickfreeze
Mungi
Blair Wind
KGKG
Galactic Storm
Demigard
Iladelph
Leonidas
Khellandros
Dark Crawler
Pr
Nataku
Draco
Digi
Soleran
8bit Chris
Mainstream
Mr. Smiley
Avalonofthe Wind
Srankmissingninja
Scarlet Spider
The Mister
Lord S
Wyndarr
ZephroCarnelian
Supermanandaman
Mr. Sandman
Magee
Manowar
Juntai
Zahit
Colossus 17
Black Rob
Who? Kid
King Kam
Wolverine888
Armandovalles
JPlatinum
Superherovandel
Synchro
Beyonder
Wanderer
Maestro
Xmarksthespot
AJ
The Wickerman (The fist one)
Putar
Will rules
Beyonder
Mider
dawsey28
Primitive Screwhead
Piedmon
Esteemed Leader
Wannabe
biskit13
Xplosive
Grey Fox not the Gray Fox
Darth Vegas
JWangSDC

I may have forgotten some people and got some people down twice as name changes were a thing then. Let's look at some classic notable threads from this period next. smile

What a great thread idea!

Love the recap. The good old days big grin

Seeing all those old posters listed brings back so many memories. Loved the mid 2000's on here.

The forum was so active and fun to be a part of. It was a community. I miss those posters.

I learnt a lot here in my 1st few years on the forum and adapted my takes to be less about my preferences and admitted biases, in favour of objectivity i.e. what was explicitly shown to be the case rather than my supposition. I cringe looking back at some of my early posts lol.

Dont bring up any of my pre 2006 appearances i beg you laughing

I remember when you 1st started posting Whirly. You were the troll of trolls. The Smiley King! smile smile smile smile smile LOL

Loved it!

You've gone all serious on us these days though. stick out tongue

Must've been about 2006 when Mr Master emerged and then our rivalry began. Well we all know how that turned out lol

But yh, its nice to log on every now and again and see who's active.

Also...what the hell happened to Wonderman?! He was not like this back in the day laughing

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
What a great thread idea!

Love the recap. The good old days big grin

Seeing all those old posters listed brings back so many memories. Loved the mid 2000's on here.

The forum was so active and fun to be a part of. It was a community. I miss those posters.

I learnt a lot here in my 1st few years on the forum and adapted my takes to be less about my preferences and admitted biases, in favour of objectivity i.e. what was explicitly shown to be the case rather than my supposition. I cringe looking back at some of my early posts lol.

Dont bring up any of my pre 2006 appearances i beg you laughing

I remember when you 1st started posting Whirly. You were the troll of trolls. The Smiley King! smile smile smile smile smile LOL

Loved it!

You've gone all serious on us these days though. stick out tongue

Must've been about 2006 when Mr Master emerged and then our rivalry began. Well we all know how that turned out lol

But yh, its nice to log on every now and again and see who's active.

Also...what the hell happened to Wonderman?! He was not like this back in the day laughing but your 2005 posts are some of your best old pal shifty ahh, not serious, just less forgiving of stupidity perhaps on serious topics, as Elvis Costello once sang, "what's so funny about peace, love and understanding?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.