Thinking Movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Playa69er
Vanilla Sky, Donnie Darko, and The Matrix all I consider thinking movies and they all kick @55. So I heard of a momento something like that so dont say that one.

Darth Vicious
Vanilla Sky sucked badly, i dont see the appeal in the movie

BABOON
Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing bunny rock reading beer doctor no mobile laughing out loud
GO WATCH LOST HIGHWAY AND THEN TRY TO THINK!

happy kine
vanilla sky did suck, but the premise was interesting. but as far as thinking movies... not too many make to a theater near you. mass appeal is explosions and quick comedy jabs... which can be entertaining... just not thought provoking.

Senor_Pessoba
you mean memento?
watch it now.
it is great!!
you cant consider any one of David Lynch's movies a thinking movie, because none of them make any goddamn sense, well maybe with the exception of Blue Velvet..Dennis Hopper is great in that movie, although very disturbing...

KidRock
Red Dragon!

diegocala
U-Turn

chico23
Well I liked Vanilla Sky so stick out tongue.

Also:

1. Memento
2. Matrix
3. American History X
4. Citzen Kane

Playa69er
Vanilla Sky was one of the best movies ever made same with the other 2 i mentioned cause they dont rely on the same old n ez action of movies it relied on its story and the acting. And for once you had to think about it and it wasnt spoon feed to you. Matrix, Vanilla Sky, and Donnie Darko all of them hold that true to them

Kes
Problem with Vanilla sky is that it is a copy scene by scene of Abre los ojos! But I dont think it's a thinking movie! They explain everything at the end! Matrix:reloaded! Probably because everybody is trying to figure out what happens next! smile

Cloaked
I really enjoyed Vanilla Sky so much I took the time to see its Spanish counterpart which it was derrived from. I gotta say, Vanilla Sky plays out much better than Abre los Ojos. I would consider Vanilla Sky to be a thinking movie, cuz it drops hints here and there as to what is going on with the character. Then all those puzzle pieces come together to form an explaination. Though, I can understand why alot of people hated the given explaination at the climax of the film, I was totally satisfied by it. It made sense enough to me for me to enjoy it.

David Lynch's name definitely belongs in this thread. Anyone seen Mullholland Dr. Oy, that movie is a total mindf**k (I'm new here, are we allowed to use colorful language?). It was worth seeing Mullholland Dr. once, but I have no desire to see it again. Very long and slow in developement, yet a good film.

Apocalypse Now, the original cut or Redux both fit into this category of film as well. You agree or no? Another that comes to mind is Ghost in the Shell.

Here's a real thinking film, Freddy Got Fingered. It makes you think "what in the HELL were they thinking when they gave Green the movie to make that movie?".

Kes
Did you understand Mulholland Dr?! I've never seen it but a friend did and he says its terrible! That it makes no sence!
Yes swearing is a no no! lol

Cloaked
Yea, I can explain Mullholland Dr., but don't want to spoil it for anyone else around here. PM me if you'd like to know more about the movie.

And thanks for the tip reguarding speaking like Ozzy Osborne. big grin

BackFire349
i enjoyed vanilla sky. donnie darko is also great.

Senor_Pessoba
pretty much Evil Dead 2 is the ultimate thinking movie

mikeysgothicgur
thinking movies all suck i never get it...but then again they are thinkin movies & im jus slow stick out tongue

love love
jenny/SiZzLe evil face rock smokin'

Cloaked
No intention of insulting anyone here, but, Donnie Darko left me SCREAMING at the TV cuz I felt I'd just wasted my time watching a movie that had no point to it at all.

I've debated about this movie with several people, but I can't dismiss my first experience watching it. I remember the whole movie and just can't bring myself to watch it again. I do agree that it is a thinking film, but, like Vanilla Sky left some views disappointed, Donnie Darko did that for me. laughing out loud

Playa69er
Nah havent see Muholland Dive yet !! But today I made a list of movies i think are in this catogory : Muholland Drive, Lost Highway, Twelve Monkeys, City of God, and Memento altho I just saw memento today. GREAT MOVIE without spoiling anything the movie goes backwards. And once the movie was over i thought i kinda filled in everything ... WRONG rent the DVD it makes this movie more confusing

Cloaked
Twelve Monkeys...D'oh...a perfect addition to this list.

Good thinking.

Sacrifice
Here are a few not previously mentioned:

Dark City
Usual Suspects
Cube

I watched Mulholland Drive a few days ago. Very strange indeed. I found it somewhat intriguing at first, but it just dragged on way too long and the ending made absolutely no sense to me. confused

I hear if you watch it again the story actually comes together. Unfortunately I just have no desire to watch it again, it is just too slow. Maybe if it was edited down by 30-45 minutes.

ninja_gaiden
I watched the movie Vanilla Sky tonite. I thought the movie was awesome until the last 2 seconds!!!! I understand the entire movie up to the point where his eyes opens at the very end. I understand that most of the movie was a dream, and at the ened this is revealed. I understand he has to choose between living in a dream or in the real life.

Here is were Im confused: Did he go back to the dream or go to the real world???? The movie would make you think he choose to jump and goto the real world... BUT when he opens his eyes you hear Sofias voice say "wake up david". If he woke up, it would be 150 years later, and she would be DEAD. So this leads me to believe either 1 of 2 things happened.
1. he went back to the dream world to be with Sofia
2. (in dreams you wake up right before you hit the ground) so when he jumped off the building in his dream he actually woke up from his car accident coma. Since a 5 minute dream can feel like hours. Who knows how long he was in the coma, and it made him feel lke all that time had passed.

Im just kinda pissed because I think the writer didnt realize one of the two endings I thought up, and now ill be forever eternally perplexed!

Someone please help me sad

BackFire349
Irreversible - really reminds you how horrible the world we live in can be, also reminds you how beautiful it can be, very thought provoking

Falling Down - Makes you question your morals

Dawn of the dead - makes you realize that humans are pretty lousy creatures morrally

Happiness - Shows with unflinching accuracy how tragic it can be to be a pedafile, and gives him a great amount of humanity, very conflicting

The Elephant Man - Shows the darkside of man

Se7en - just an all around cool movie that really messes with your head

RonyLeBeau
I just saw Identity and that movie messed with my head...but maybe it was just me... confused
Oh and Clockwork Orange. blink

nemo
and that's how movies should be.
too much thinking only mess with my head. pirate

johnny_rotten
What about Bladerunner?...I am still thinking about it now...and ive seen it manytimes

lukeyduckey
Good Will Hunting - you may have to think why but it made me think
Seven- Coz of the contents
Sleepers- How can some people do that to children??

Vanila Sky annoyed me

wicker_man
Solaris
Threads

MovieMaven
I agree that Mulholland Drive is very strange and doesn't make much sense. However, I read somewhere that the deal with this movie is that it was supposed to be the pilot for a new TV series. Unfortunately, the plug was pulled on the TV series even before the movie was finished. Thus, Lynch did his best to try to cram the entire concept of the show into one movie. So I guess what you're seeing is the bare bones of a very bizarre story that was never fully fleshed out on the big screen.

P.S. MEMENTO rocks! Great movie. I've not seen any other movie quite like it. It made for great discussion fodder, as my friends and I were sitting around after the movie trying to fill in all the blank spaces with various theories about what really happened.

P.P.S. Did anybody notice the tattoo on Pearce's chest that says 'It's over. I've done it'? It appears in that series of quick 'flashbacks' that Pearce experiences at the end of the movie, so, if you want to check it out have that pause button ready on your DVD remote.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.