Name a movie that you would "suggest" that some others might have not seen.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omegaman
Try and name some movies that you loved that some people may have not seen before.

Here are some of mine:

-The Class of 1984
-Dangerously Close
-Bad Influence
The Lords of Disipline

Kes
I suggest :

Nell (with Jodie Foster and Liam Nielson)
Playing by heart

happy kine
secretary... it was a nice look into what happens when 2 people that think themselves crazy, find out they were made for each other.

Metroplex
The Friday After Next with Ice Cube. Its a really funny movie.

Omegaman
I remembered another one," 3 O'clock High". It great , a nerd stands up to his school bully! Classic high school comedy!

Cloaked
An older film that I consider a great one, but find it's not very well-known is Bad Leiutenant.

A more recent recommendation would be Equilibrium. GREAT movie.

Omegaman
Good movie , I have seen that one! Kind of scares you, knowing is suppose to be "protecting and serving" society.

chico23
Minus man (good movie about a serial killer)
Swimming with Sharks (one of Kevin Spacey's best roles)
Dog Soldiers (thanks to my friends here at KMC forums)
Once Were Warriors (great New Zealand Film)
Chopper (Eric Bana film also my Sig)

BackFire349
henry - portrait of a serial killer, sweet hereafter, happiness, falling down, elephant man, return of the living dead.

Senor_Pessoba
Acid House..it is a movie based on the book by Irvine Welsh who wrote Trainspotting...really messed up, but great just the same...oh and Trainspotting is a great movie as well..if anyone hasnt seen it

Omegaman
Yeah Senor, I also liked Trainspotting and once were warriors, did you know that the father in that movie(Jake, I think) is the guy who played Jango Fett??

Ushgarak
I thought quite a few people would have seen Falling Down, wouldn;t they?

Anyway, I say 'If...'

Omegaman
"IF" what ,Ush?

Ushgarak
That is my named movie.

finti
Bytting

Omegaman
"If" is a title to a movie? What is it about?

Corran
Debbie does Dallas.

Omegaman
very funny corran! NOT

Ushgarak
'If...' is indeed a movie, it was Malcolm MacDowell's first film, based on a play of note called 'Crusaders' and it is a political allegory of revolution set inside a British public school by famed director Lindsay Anderson back in the 60s. It was more relevant then than it is now but it still remains a powerful piece of film.

BackFire349
ive been meaning to check that out, i dont think my store carries it though. crappy damn blockbuster, we have infinite copies of two weeks notice but barely any old movies.

Ushgarak
It is also worth checking out the 'sequel' if you want to see Malcolm in a film even more obscure than Clockwork Orange.

BackFire349
well im one of the few people who dont think clockwork orange is very obscure at all. its just the way that the book was.

Senor_Pessoba
I have Falling Down...good flick

Ushgarak
Gosh, I hope you will think 'O Lucky Man!' is obscure, BF...

BackFire349
well ill try to find it and watch it, but i doubt my store has either of them.

Omegaman
what is "IF" about, give some details. Hey I like a few of your Brit films..

SNatch, Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels, To Sir with Love,Etc.

Ushgarak
Errr... the description I gave above should be teaser enough!

Omegaman
No not enough. I live in the states which probably doesnt carry that movie. SO do tell!

Ushgarak
Really, "it is a political allegory of revolution set inside a British public school" is all I can usefully tell you. Anything else would either obscure the point or give things away.

Omegaman
Well I probably wont be able to see it , so you are not spoiling anything!

Gundark
The Lathe of Heaven.

rickidog
Here's my selection:

For Horror fans try:
Les Yeux Sans Visage by George Franju....maybe old and black & white but truly eerie.
Four Flies on Grey Velvet - Argento's more obscure moment (if that's possible)

For Comedy Fans how aboat Strange Brew - Doug and Bob Mackenzie rule eh!

Amazon Women on the Moon rates in my stupid collection quite highly too.

Shock Treatment - the one and only sequel to Rocky Horror - and it rocks....

Thrillers: Assault on Precinct 13 (of course).... hold on I better stop this will be an essay.....

laughing out loud

noodles
29th street (Anthony Lapaglia & Danny Aiello)
One flew over the cuckoos nest
Last exit to Brooklyn
Requim for a dream
Romper Stomper

By the way, Omegaman, IF ends with Malcolm McDowell and his friends shooting at the other students from the roof of the public school they are attending.

Omegaman
HOw expensive are they noodles??

Ushgarak
Spoilers, people PLEASE! Good Lord!

rickidog
Is this really the place to advertise blatent copyright infringements and intellectual copyright theft?

Kes
lol usually no!

bigbadbike2
Drama/Action: The Bourne Identity
Comedy: Dumb and Dumber (classic), Bedazzled, Gross Point Blank

noodles

Slybaghouse
Clerks!

and I agree with bigbadbike2 on his choices!!

danabanana
the new adventures of pippi longstockings, the 1988 american one

rogue_jedi
rickidog, you are right. assault on pr. 13 was great. try evil dead 2, army of darkness, or i come in peace. boondock saints was also very good. for martial arts fans, try twin warriors (jet li), revenge of the ninja or the hunted.

turdmuppet
The Wraith starring Charlie Sheen

Flight Of The Navigator

Summer Holidays starring Cliff Richards

Starchaser The Legend Of Orin

santiago79
flight of the navigator was good......ummm....serpico, or dog day afternoon...if you like al pacino it's some good earlier work...

but one a lot people haven't seen

"dr. strangelove or how i learned how to stop worrying and love the bomb" it's an early kubrick film with one of my favorite actors of that era, peter sellers....

Kes
Anatomy

G.P
Delicatessen & The City of Lost Children, by Caro & Jeunet

nopy
Glen garry glen ross.

Cast :- alpacino, Spacey, ed harris, alan arkin, alec baldwin, ie monster cast.

This film is pure dialouge and is razor sharp. Highly recommended

Thomas H
moving target...starring Michael Dudikoff..

the movie is not recomended!

DeNiro
ok some good movies r u guys have seen this one i bet American History X, Romper Stomper, if u want to get the chicks a good movie that is decent for guys to watchi s, Two Weeks Notice, Porky's, Donnie Brasco, Lucas was a good movie, and finally Higher Learning.

chica16
the movie "Wargames" haha its crazy

nopy
My cousin vinnie

Im sure most would have seen it but if not, its good. Joe pesci and marisa tomei go watch is --- Comedy

AsthmaticZero
I suggest 'Donnie Darko'. Absolutely awesome movie.

Also, I agree that 'Equilibrium' was excellent.

BellaButterfly
MOULIN ROUGE!

lnradiokmama
Everyone MUST see Amores Perros!!! the most exhilarating movie experience i have ever had! like a latino Pulp Fiction. Great stuff!

mikesux
Im going to agree with Equilibrium, brilliant, what were they thinking with the marketing of this film?

The Score
Way of the Gun
The Transporter

chica16
EVERYONE GO SEE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN... YAY ORLANDO BLOOM

Kes
I have anothere one I think it's called Caught in act (I saw it a long time ago). The movie is with Chritopher Reeve(sp) and Micheal Cain. Its a comedie about a theater group.Man I laugh my head off. It's great!

bluegrass
There is a film called "Baraka" everyone should see. It is amazing. There is no actors or dialogue. It is just different scenes from nature and different cultures. It starts with the most peaceful scenes in nature and slowly works its way towards chaos, building up to showing crowded city streets, traffic, slaughterhouses etc... and then slowly goes back to nature and peace. My description doesn't do it any justice, but it is the most powreful film I have ever seen by far. Totally changed the way I looked at society. Do your self a favor and rent this!!!

ChinaNiki
I always liked "Oliver!". The 60s version out of Britain.

twelth monkey
Has anyone seen a cracking little horror/western/serial killer film set in namibia called DUST DEVIL (no, it's not about vacuum cleaners). it was directed by richard stanley who did HARDWARE and was about to do ISLAND OF DOCTOR MOROEAU before val kilmer got him kicked off set.

recommended but deleted - keep an eye on channel 4.

Dario Argento
Flesh for Frankenstein
Blood for Dracula
Last House on Dead End Street
Bleeder

claidisa_felton
'How High'
sooo hysterical! rock

Jeff_Atello
Jersey Girl. It's a great move for Kevin Smith, who shows critics that he is more than just "pee-pee" and "poo-poo" jokes.

Dario Argento
Breaking the waves
Dogville
The Kingdom
DellaMorte DellaMore
Fando & Lis
El Topo
Holy Mountain
Nekromantik
Quiet Day in Clichy

big gay kirk
I would definitely say "Touching the Void," the true story f an ill-fated expedition to Siula Grande... best film of the past five years, tons better that LOTR... I would also suggest "Delicatessen,""Nikita," the original Russian "Solaris," "Audition," and "Santa Clause conquers the Martians..." (Honest!!!)

SaTsuJiN
Joy Luck Club
Shall we Dance
Pillow Book <--(this one has some sexual material, but I thought the story was very well thought out)

amlap
pi
the warlocks
swingers (but i asume that many people have seen this?)
run lola run

Jamief90
Heavenly Creatures, excellent film by some unknown director name Peter Jackson, now what ever happened to him? wink

howl_for_fowl
Ned Kelly

Punker69
Red Dawn

Fallen Jedi
omg if you haven't seen kill bill go and watch that. you also watch internal sunshine of the spotless mine. both very good movies.

Phoenix
Girl, Interrupted

VERY good film, Anjelina Jolie is astounding in it

phoenix chii
a walk to remember

SpaceMonkey
Phantom of the Paradise

<<Solo>>
Yeah isn't that something about transvestite zombies or something?

Hmm....Resevoir Dogs or The Ladykillers, 2 great movies...

Fire
The Wave

Kes
yes

Linkalicious
SLC Punk and Salton Sea...both very entertaining movies.

punkyhermy
Batman mask of the phantasm:trust me, u haven't seen batman as long as u haven't seen this movie.
Deep end of the ocean: michelle pfiffer is simply stunninng,excellent acting.

Punker69
SLC Punk and Red Dawn

Punker69
EDIT

What the f**k?

Kes
Punker Do Not quote then EDIT the post at your will!

Kes
You all must see Irreversible! Its brilliant!

HoldingCaulfield
I would highly recommend Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead hope this hasn't been suggested already, but either way it's a good film, even if you're not into Shakespeare!!

HC.
eek!

Punker69
Kes what if I do it again shifty ?

JoshSquash2k4
Kill Bill vol. 1 was way good the best movie of 2003 **** LOTHR kill bill was balls to the walls action and best fight scene ive seen in a while

Kes
A temp ban is a possiblity.

Punker69
why is it always the bann with you people big grin

banned raygun

Punker69
Do you want me to punk you kes?

Kes
I'm not finding this amusing Punker.
Back to topic.

botankus
Yes!! Someone actually has heard of this movie. Great film.

botankus
Also I would highly recommend my favorite film of all time, River's Edge, though it's not for everyone. It is also Keanu Reeve's first leading role in a film (1987 - the best year ever for films).

Punker69
geez

to much power for an individual smile

ok I geuss TITANIC is worth seeing for some of you who havent heard of it.

big gay kirk
Heavenly Creatures! Transvestite Zombies!!??!! Not in the version I saw... it was Kate Winslet's first film, and covered a true story... my song, "Plasticine People" was based on it...

Rambo
No Escape, is a great movie.

Punker69
Or for some of you that havent heard of it Lord of the Rings:The Return of the King is good smile

Linkalicious
I personally like "The Quiet Man"
I thought it was both funny and entertaining...the Duke rules!

Punker69
And Spider-Man is could for some of you that havent seen it or heard of it.

The Unknown
High School High

Fire
the wave, I doubt it even exists on VHS or DVD if someone has it on either format LET ME KNOW

Punker69
HIGH SCHOOL HIGH IS AWESOME! : eek :

MarkHobin
Falling Down,Run Lola Run,Eraserhead lol, weird movie,American History X.

Punker69
Star Wars is good also

starwars

Kes
Belleville rendez-vous

Dante Hicks
IDLE HANDS! thats my movie. i would say clerks but i think everyones seen that

Punker69
I geuss The Passion is worth seeing smile

Curl_Up&Dye
Summer School...a great late 80's/early 90's comedy by Carl Reiner... about a bunch of loser kids and their adventures in summer school. features kirsty alley as a random english teacher, and Steven Carrell...aka the guy who played Evan Baxter in Bruce Almighty...Richard Steven Horvitz, who is the voice of Invader ZIM...
definetly something to pick up at the video store

also...The Virgin Suicides...has kirsten dunst in it as a rebellious 14 year old, a very dark comedy about like 7 sisters who have really over protective parents...a film festival movie...

The Royal Tenenbaums...another dark comedy...all star cast featuring Angelica Huston, Danny Glover, Luke and Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller, Gwenyth Paltrow, Gene Hackman, Bill Murray, and Alec Baldwin as the narrator

Punker69
never heard of it

The Ghost Of Mr Chicken with Dont Knots is really funny smile.

amity75
"Badlands" 1973 movie with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek.

Kes
Oops the original title is Les triplettes de Belleville.

Jeff_Atello
Trainspotting was pretty good. But, for a great, GREAT drug movie....
REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
This film gives great insight into the horrors of heroin and the like. It's very graphic, but well worth it.

Also, Swingers.

I also liked Idle Hands.

I don't know...Most people seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon after "Mallrats." So, see any Kevin Smith movie, because they are all greatt. Jersey Girl included.

This movie sucked, I'm afraid. I got it, but I hated it. Sofia Copolla should just keep the family name and not make movies.

No...No it's not.

Cinemaddiction
..and for an EXCELLENT drug movie, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". I don't know what rock you're living under if you haven't already seen it.

I wouldn't advise renting any Kevin Smith movie aside from "Mallrats". They are all the same, dick and fart jokes, monotony galore, and he is sorely, sorely overrated, IMO.

"Passion of the Christ" is only for those who want to learn about Jesus's suffering, Christian or not.

Finally, as for my suggestion.

If you like movies such as "American History X", or "Romper Stomper", I''d reccomend "The Believer", with (a very convincing) Ryan Gossling.

It's a story about young Jewish male who leads his life as a Neo Nazi skin. He lives the Nazi lifetyle, but at the same time is conflicted with his true heritage and cannot decide which one he truely believes in until the very end.

It's very believable, very strong and poignant, and one of the better indie fims to come along in the past couple of years.

Berlin
I like Pi
Is about a man called Max Cohen. Max Cohen was obsessed with finding the number that was the answer to the universe in Pi. Is from 1998 and the director is Darren Aronofsky

Fire
I laughed my ass off with requiem for a dream

burlyman
confused Pi and RfaD are great movies big grin

Jeff_Atello
Are you SERIOUS!? Kevin Smith is not just dick and fart jokes, and I really don't know how you came to that conclusion. While he may pride himself as being the self-proclaimed "King of Dick and Fart Jokes," that doesn't necessarily mean that's all he knows how to do. Clerks wasn't just dick and fart jokes, Mallrats pretty much was, Chasing Amy sure as hell wasn't, same with Dogma, and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back definitely was. Jersey Girl also wasn't just dick and fart jokes. Kevin Smith is a genius, and I would think that somebody with the name "cinemaddiction" would be able to appreciate that.

"Fear and Loathing" was awesome.

Fire&gt;What was there to laugh at in "Requiem for a Dream?"

Cinemaddiction
The word "genius" is way, way overused on this. Kevin Smith is nothing more than a fanboy who makes big budget home movies.

With a name like "Cinemaddiction", I can appreciate the works of real directors, not hacks like Kevin Smith or Quentin Tarrentino.

Love me, hate, but that's my opinion.

burlyman
Leon rules man big grin

Jeff_Atello
Whatever. You're opinion doesn't matter to those of us who love Kevin and Quentin for the GREAT directors and writers that they are.

forumcrew
donnie darko, the professional

Yomammy
For me, I'd suggest the following to anyone who hasn't seen them:
Boondock Saints
American History X
The Salton Sea
Interstate 60
2 Days In the Valley
Snatch
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Frailty

Jeff_Atello
Snatch was awesome'

Donnie Darko was weird, even though I got it

Cinemaddiction
That's absolutely right, and fine with me. It's just a shame that people are too far in denial to see that Quentin Tarrentino has yet to put together a movie that isn't a direct ripoff of someone elses work, all the way through "Kill Bill".

They are both overrated.

HannaBananabal
Dunno if this was mentioned, but I thought Sean Astin's Harrison Bergeron was interesting. I wrote a review for it in the Movie Reviews section.

khalla
Cool Runnings
Fast times at Ridgemont High
Romy and Michelles Highschool Reunion
The Apartment

Piggle Humsy
I'll recommend:

Cider House Rules - Tobey Maguire, Keiran Culkin,Michael Cane. Great Film!

Igby Goes Down - Keiran Culkin again, Jeff Goldbloom, Ryan Philippe, Claire Danes.

Oh what the heck..browse through my list of fave films in my profile and check out any that u haven't already!! big grin big grin

Piggle one eye
x x x x

Kes
Those are 2 movies that I really want to see thumb up

Jeff_Atello
Hey, whatever you say. I haven't seen Kill Bill becuase those movies don't interest me, but I have yet to read one thing that backs up your opinion. But that doesn't matter. There's no changing somebody's opinion.

Ocean's 11 was a great movie. Have you seen the original? It sucked. The re-make was so much better, but I'm not so sure about this Ocean's 12 crap.

Omegaman
I would like to see Kill Bill, thanks for the heads up!

AS for Ocean's eleven, I have tried several times to watch it, NOT interesting to me, really boring!

Kes
I didnt like it either (Ocean's eleven). I thought I was the only one shock

Jeff_Atello
Ocean's 11 was very well thought out. I guess you just have to like heaist movies. There is no denying the superb acting involved.

WindDancer
Care to tell me how I'm in denial? How are they rip-offs? Have you consider that maybe QT includes homages to other films that have inspired him?

Kes
I like heist movies, I didnt like this one. The cast is very good but the director (that I dont like) doesnt take advantage of that. Its boring and then predictable. IMO of course wink

Cinemaddiction
I've considered them as homages about as many times as QT fans have considered that he may not be as original as once concieved, which is about never.

I've had this same discussion with both Foxota, who never bothered to dispute my findings, as well as Evil Dead, who in one way or another met me halfway.

It's right there in black and white.

As for "Ocean's Eleven", I'm not too fond of the original, either.

I think the 2001 version is hip, smart, funny, clever, and alot of fun to watch. I don't know how anyone could find it "boring". It;s not an action movie, just a caper, the likes of which I am a big fan of.

If you liked that, I recommend stuff like "The Score", "The Heist", "Welcome to Collinwood", "Gone in 60 Seconds", and of course, "Snatch".

Not going to recommend "Lock, Stock" because I didn't find it that amusing, although it had an awesome Guy Ritchie cast.

Kes
It was boring to me. I'm not an action junkie. I just didnt like it *shrugs*
Maybe my "hatred" for Sodenberg (sp) and Roberts clowds my judgement.
Loooooove Gone in 60 seconds. It takes a while to get started but as soon as they start stealing WOW joy ride wink

Rogue Jedi
1. boondock saints
2. escape from new york
3. the hunted (christopher lambert and john lone)
4. porkys
5. hollywood knights

Cinemaddiction
..and it doesn't hurt, having the hottest tomboy in cinematic history in Sway, in the movie as well.

Kes
She rock but her role is small. It doesnt hurt that I love cars either wink

WindDancer
What you doing here is generalizing the considerations of people that enjoyed (or fans) QT films. There is a thin line in between Copycat and Reference is made. Most ppl that enjoyed QT films, are fans of different genres, and they are finally coming together. As an example: Kill Bill! look at the elements present in the film. Check this out:

http://tarantino.webds.de/tarantino/movie/killbill/articles/references-guide.htm

QT is well known to have watch countless of stocks films from different genres. Is possible that "similarities" do occur. The question is "authenticity" which is where the starting point begins. Rip-offs? If his movies were consider sucha thing. He would be held accountable for serious things like lawsuits by the originial creators of the other films. Tradmarks, Copyrights, patents, whatever you want to call it. QT isn't held liable for that.

Do you consider QT guilty of Plagiarism? Depends on how you look at it. Some of us see it as influenced.

Omegaman
Considering that Ocean's 11 is a remake I hope it was well thought out!!

For Heist movies I say...

-Ronnin
-Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
-Resevior DOgs
-Heat

Jeff_Atello
I've seen The Heist, the Score, Gone in 60 Seconds and Snatch. Snatch is definitely the best one of the group. I also like The Italian Job, but it wasn't anywhere as good as Ocean's 11.

Rogue Jedi
oceans 11 put me to sleep....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kes
Ok...ppl lets go back to suggesting movies.
WD&gt; I suggest most spanish, french and italian movies since you like QT so much. All those innovative things you see...they've been doing it for a long time. Probably less blood thou (in a few cases).

Cinemaddiction
Alrighty, 2 foreign movie recommendations just for fun:

The Devil's Backbone (Mexico)
Double Vision (Japan)

babe182
taking lives, the hot chick, cabin fever, and wrong turn

Yomammy
Just a suggestion from a 'newbie'.....

How about checking the thread title? Suggest titles that people might NOT have seen. To me that suggests non-mainstream movies. No offense to anyone that listed the following, but these are movies that were pretty big hits in the theater (so they really probably don't belong in this sort of thread):

Friday After Next
Dumb and Dumber
Moulin Rouge
Ocean's 11
Pirates of the Caribbean
Titanic (highest box office rake in history? That doesn't suggest 'little known" to me)
Lord of the Rings (c'mon people)

Just mentioning a few. Maybe I'm out of line and if so, I respectfully apologize. (*sigh*)

Jeff_Atello
Haven't seen all of Friday After Next, but I likes Next Friday. Dumb and Dumber is a classic. I didn't like Moulin Rouge. Ocean's 11 is great, but we've been talking about that. PotC was great. Titanic was horribly done and is a horrible excuse for a film. And I don't like Lord of the Rings.

Yomammy
Jeff.. FYI: I was pointing out movies that are extremely mainstream, which have been pointed out by others in this thread, which I don't think was the original intent, thus the title: "name a movie you would 'suggest', that others might have not seen", rather than what some people are replying to as more like "name a blockbuster you've seen and liked".

*sigh*

Kes
Instead of pointing out blockbuster that ppl suggested (yes that is not what this thread is about) why dont you suggest a few non-mainstream movies mate?!

Yomammy
I did, but I'll do it again:

Boondock Saints
American History X
The Salton Sea
Interstate 60
2 Days In the Valley
Snatch
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Frailty

Now none of those are completely obscure, but they definitely weren't blockbusters and I doubt that the majority of the movie-watching community have even heard of them.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>