St. Patricks Day

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gundark
Okay, anybody have plans ?

We don't, yet. Its on a Saturday this year, BTW. smile

the Whill
I'm not Irish so no I don't have any plans. Why does everyone go on about St Patricks day? You never hear of St Andrew, St David or St George.

finti
Oh come on its just an excuse for a party. And I love to party so come on Paddy`s show me some riverdance.!!!smile

"how could you leave your goose feather beds
how could leave your moneyo
How could you leave your newlyweded lord
all for a raggle taggle gypsyo"

"what care I for my goose feathered bed
what care I for my moneyo
I rather have a kiss from a yellow gypsy lips
I`m away with a raggle taggle gypsyo"

Waterboys - Raggle taggle gypsyo

JediOasis
There is a nice little Irish Pub across from our dorm called Kitty O'Shea's that me and my roomates will have a little fun at.

queeq
So what happens at St. Patricks Day?

finti
Basicly you drink, which is fine with me. I like Irish people thet are very friendly, at least the ones I`ve met, and they make great music.

Ratcat
Well, it does get my goat that on St. Patricks day Capital Radio do all this special stuff like live broadcasts from Dublin.

But what happens on St. Georges day? Absolutely nothing, that's what. Tells you a little about the english mindset really...

Dim
Hmmmm..I wouldn't have guessed that they celebrated St. Patrick's Day in England...

And what's the deal with St. George?..I honestly don't know.

Ratcat
Well exactly. Let's celebrate another contries patron saint but forget our own.

it's a joke IMHO...

Dim
So what's the patron saint of Wales and Scotland?..I didn't know that most countries had a patron saint.

Ratcat
Can't remember. Noggins and KJ should know respectively.

finti
I said it before and I say it again, it`s just an excuse for a party.
St. George and the dragon?smile
" I can tell by the look in your eyes, you never met the man"

Dim
Yeah..it is just an excuse to celebrate.

Like we have Presidents Day on Monday laughing out loud I'm not complaining..it's a day off.

Gundark
Hey, I'm not off on Monday....Dimmy thats not fair. Want a wake up call from PA when I get into the office ? hehehe. laughing out loud

Ratcat
Lucky girl.... Yeah, let's all give Dimmy 20 minute wake up calsl all day and night on Monday!!laughing out loud

King Jedi
St David is the Welsh patron saint and St Andrew is for Scotland. Ratcat is right, it is a joke. If I was Irish I'd be offended that people(not anyone here) who couldn't care less about Ireland are all of a sudden celebrating all things Irish just for a laugh.
I know a guy who owns a pub in a town near me. He was born in Scotland and all his family are from here but he runs an Irish pub because he says people think it's "freindlier".

Ratcat your right about England. It seems that you can't celebrate being English or you are accused of being racist.

Gundark
I never considered celebrating St. Patricks day to be making fun of the Irish. That's never occured to me at all.

queeq
Since when do we need a special day to drink?

Ushgarak
St. Patrick's Day is big in the States purely because of the Irish minority there taking good and proper use of their right to be heard. On the other side of the Atlantic, all four of the Union's (and Ireland's) Saint days go by with barely a mention- with a few notable exceptions in some places. And my fellow Englishmen shouldn't panic- English patriotism is alive and well, TOO alive and well in some places. Only in extrmees does it appear racist to be pro-English.

The point is, St. Patricks day in Ireland, by now, is as much to do with its cultural roots as Christmas is to do with the pagan festivals it developed from. It's probably not serious enough to be truly insulting to the Irish- irritating, perhaps. But as an excuse for a party... why not? But only, really, in the States.

queeq
Ah yes, them Yanks... always looking for their roots in Europe. laughing out loud

King Jedi
If I was Irish I would find it patronising. That's how I feel when half of Hollywood claim to be part Scottish. Even Whoopi Goldberg says she has Scottish ancestors. Scotland is about 90% white and it was even more so decades ago so how can she have Scottich anscestors?

finti
Well her ancestor can still be scottish, what if her great grandfather was scotish and her grand dad/mom was black?
And her name Goldberg kind off jewish, yes?

Dim
Actually Goldberg is just a stage name..her real name is Karen Johnson.. As for her ancestry..most African American people have atleast some..(and sometimes alot) of European ancestry..
Anyway..claiming European ancestry is just something Americans (along with the other colonized countries)do..The truth is that it's not every accurate..but for some reason it's needed.

King Jedi
But her whole basis for saying she has Scottish anscestors is her "real" second name and the fact that she likes the country. In an interveiw she said that she visited the country and felt "a real spiritual connection" so she thinks she has links to here. I visited a strip bar a few months ago for a stag party and felt a real "spiritual connection" there. Does that mean my great grandmother was a stripper? Or even my great grandfather? No.
When she does an interveiw for German, Italian or French T.V she probably says the same thing.

Gundark
I guess its just a Hollywood thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.