The Patriot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KidRock
Not bad, not bad at all

Any comments?

Tex
Did you just finish watching it on TBS?big grin

BackFire349
its ok

KidRock
YES! I saw it theatres to though cool

Julie
I liked it.....I haven't seen all that many movies that depict the American Revolution, but this was a good story.

ToMacco
I fell asleep when I went to The Patriot.

The only part I liked was when he and his younger sons went chasing after those troops.

KidRock
well you should have woke up!

ToMacco
It was a little long. And it was depressing as hell.

ToMacco
There was another part I liked, I guess. When his youngest daughter didn't speak to him until he left, then she begged him not to go. That part choked me up a bit.

Augeybana
It was good but hollywood at times depicts history differnatly.

KidRock
my favorite part was at the end when he was running with that flag hes like chargeeee!!!! that brought a tear to my eye lol

Metroplex
Its too pro americain. Not that i have anything against them. I dont think any attrocities were commited by the British during the Revolution as was shown when the English dude burned the whole town dow

Rogue Jedi
great movie.

robincooper
oh there were atrocities comited sadly sad coz at that point the king was crazy and i mean crazy wacko in my mind that war should never have happened.... we should have gave america it's independence in the first place and saved a lot of lives (british and american)
as regards to the film it was brilliant, a real tear jerker!

Metroplex
Well actually Britain needed the Americans to pay for the previous war against the French. So they taxed them. If they didnt tax them, than Britain would need to tax their people instead of the Americans. If they gave the Americans their independence, than they would lose one of their prosperous colonies. This is all according to my histroy course i did.

justinday15
really good movie, i watched it on TBS last night.

JavX
i would have to say that i did not like this movie at all..for the most part it was historically inaccurate.

ChinaNiki
I was living in South Carolina when this movie was filmed, mostly in the Pee Dee region, but some in Charleston. Believe me if my transmission had been working I would have tried to get a job as an extra. It is historically inaccurate as it was based on the life of the Swamp Fox, who did not have any children during the war and did not marry until after the war, but it did caprtue the spirit of his way of fighting the Brits during the war.

KidRock
Does anyone know the instramental song in the patriot? I forget what party its at but its sort of in a lot of movies. I think its right at the beggining of the movie. Or right at the way end when they show the last battle just begginging before Yorktown.

Rave
It was ok.

Ushgarak
Not sure where you got that idea from, Robin, the Revolutionary War was one of the 'cleanest' ever fought.

And ease up on the King, only idiotic contempories thought he was mad.

dean7879
First of all, for those who may not be aware of this, I'll reveal my bias in this issue:
I'm under no misconception that the British government has always acted nobly in war. I can think of two films I admire off the top of my head--Breaker Morant and Gallipoli--which justifiably criticize British conduct in the Boer War and World War I respectively.

I'm also not naive enough to believe that Hollywood will ever produce a film that is 100% historically accurate. And it also doesn't bother me that much if filmmakers exaggerate the evil of Redcoats for dramatic effect; cartoon villains are the norm in blockbuster films.

What bothers me is that the film portrays the British army rounding up the women and children of a town, locking them up in the town church and setting the church on fire.
Here is why this bothers me: this isn't some scriptwriter's invention to heighten the villainy of the Redcoats in a historical drama. This actually happened. On July 10, 1944 the Nazis shot the men and boys in the village of Oradour in France, rounded up the women and children of the town, herded them into the town chapel and set it on fire. Real human beings actually suffered this horrible death in the very building that represented hope, love and mercy for them. It was a unique and horrible crime against humanity. But now when some casual movie-goer, flipping through TV channels, finds an account of the actual event on the History Channel, he will think to himself, "Gee, this is horrible, but this stuff happens all the time in war. The British did the same thing during the Revolution."
And thus the evil of the Nazis is diminished so that Hollywood can generate "buzz." And that's a ****ing disgrace as far as I'm concerned.
the movie was also produced and directed by a german(says it all dont it)
america are the best in the world so lets get people to believe this by making films that are 80% inaccurate...gimme a break for ****s sake..i know its only a film but if u are going to write about a historic event then do it right...

WindDancer
I like the Patriot but I didn't see it as Historic accurate. Good movie but not great. I know ppl overseas might feel it is portraying the British as villains. I don't think so. Then again the British were portrayed as heroes in "The Four Feathers". So who really knows.

Samas-adian
Most of all wars are not fought noblely. The british, american, german, russians and so far, created horrible acts of cruelity during wars they fought. Its part of armed conflict.

KidRock
same with the iraqies saudies pakistanis afghans iranians ect.

finti
maybe they were inspired by the Boston massacre of march 5th 1770

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.