Obi wan and Anakin vs. Count Dooku......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
How well would anakin and obi wan have fared if they had faced dooku at the same time, instead of one at a time?

BLADE
I think the match would have lasted longer, but the outcome would probably have been the same, you're coming up with some pretty good topics Rogue Jedi.

Rogue Jedi
hey, i try. i agree with you. dooku was a superb swordsman. it would have taken longer, as you stated, but he would have won anyway.

Ushgarak
I suspect that Anakin is NOT a very good swordfighting partner anyway. Might have gotten in Ob-Wan's way.

yerssot
think they would have been able to do serious damage... if Anakin could manage his anger..

AliasNeo15
in the 3rd, its going to be Anakin alone who kills Duku or maybe Sideus will jump in and help and make Anakin believe he is the good side to be on.

Star Wars Geek
I think we would have seen the same results, if they had worked together. At this point, Anakins Self Confidence is at a higher level then his Sword Play. We know this as Obi Wan eludes to him needing more dueling practice and less wit, when they are chasing Zam in the speeders.

Rogue Jedi
i agree with ush. if anakin were more in control, they would have had a chance. but fighting alongside eachother as a team? anakin would probably be too aggresive.

Captain REX
Now that would have been a good duel. George probably thought of that, but told himself he'd already used that in TPM.

Rogue Jedi
still, you wonder how it would have played out.

Altar[1stONE]
I dont think dooku gets killed by anakin , i think dooku trains him. Its clear that vader fights like dooku. Heres proof , in ESB when luke confronts vader. Vader uses one arm to fight , ala the fencing style of dooku , it looks very similiar. I really believe that dooku teaches anakin to fight , and sidious teaches him the philosophy and history of the sith. i bet dooku trys to protect anakin from obi , but obi kills dooku fast. Or yoda could kill him ahhah.

yerssot
the OT fights are based on swordfights
while the PT fights have a mix "from eppee to kendo" like Gillard said

Ushgarak
The OT fights are based on very little, really... but Vader's fighting style in ESB is about as UTTERLY differerent from Dooku's as can be reasonably imagined! He didn't make a single fencing move in the whole fight! It was an inelegant power style!

finti
Yes aided by flying objects, cool thing though he uses only one hand in the begining of the ESB fight

P-NuT
anakin just needs a massage. a little bit of stress relief could do him well.

imhotep
I think that compared to the way he fought in Ep1, Obi-wan's defeat by Dooku was too easy. He already proved he can do better than that, both he and Anakin made rookie mistakes leting their guard down like that.
Anyway, two against one is hardly fair whatever the adversary, I thougt Jedi were suposed to be these galant honorable Knights, always figthing fair no tricks etc...

Corran
Both Obi-Wan and Anakin would have been extremely tired from their fighting in the Arena, you could not have expected Obi-wan to have been as fresh as he was against Maul. And Anakin was too arrogant and hasty when charging at Dooku

imhotep
a jedi's strenght flows from the force

Corran
There is oinly so much they can do and use though, look at Qui gon when he first faced Maul, he was buggered.

imhotep

Corran
Size matters not.

Ushgarak
They seem loathe to move people like that in the films. Maybe there is a problem with doing any more than just knocking them over, I dunno.

QGJ happened to be a very fine fighter, if you ask me! His moves were exquisite, not like Obi-Wan's in TPM.

And Jedi play to win as all guardians of the law must do- there is no point in them giving bad guys more chances than need be, they are professionals. If they xan do a two on one, they should.

imhotep
That's not my point, my point is only that they did not fight to what we would expect to be their ultimate abbilities in order to give room for YODA. I didn't mind that they couldn't defeat Dooku, together or alone, and the best part of the fight is when Anakin fights with two light sabers. What I mind is that they lost so fast. Qui-gon fought bravely and well, but even his fight was huge in comparison

grifta
Actually Obi and Anakin still have no chance even if they would have worked together properly, which is impossible as it stands. Dooku fought with an offensive lightsaber style, since he knew of 4 offensive styles that have been lost through time. These styles were common during the Sith wars. Just looking at his lightsaber hilt alone will show that it was made for an offensive style, it has a bend made in it specifically for one handed combat, which means to kill. As most will agree the jedi fought in a defensive manner, while the sith always offensive.

KidRock
Sorry but that is impossible as there can only be a sith master and apprentice...maul and sidious..dooku and sidious..vader and sidious..dooku cant train sidious and it all works out in a way that vader becomes sidious's apprentice in ANH. Anakin kills dooku in EPIII hence becoming Darth Vader and sidious's NEW apprentice...case closed

DAMN IM GOOD CAN YA FEEL IT HA HA! Happy Dance Happy Dance

Rogue Jedi
case closed? i dont think so. i think mace is gonna kill dooku.

GABRIEL05
I agree with dis guy. The sith are trained killers. And I'm pretty sure they fight more saber wielders than the good guys.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/u/sid.gif http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/u/maulhood.gif

finti
about the 4 offensive styles and sith wars that is EU and has no ground in the cannonical films. About jedis fighting in a defensive matter, actually in all 3 combats Dooku fought only the one he fought offensivly was against Obi Wan. Both Anakin and Yoda was the offensive fighters in their saber duels

Ushgarak
Yes... we will just have to accept that Dooku was THAT much better! Which I was always happy with, of course, from the moment I found out he was fighting in that style.

finti
just as Vader toyed with Luke in their first duel

Rogue Jedi
the dark side is stronger, perhaps? fighting with your anger flowing makes you more powerful? it certainly helped obi wan when he fought maul.

grifta
Actually finti my information comes straight from books, and if you use only the movies for information then you will be half-assed all the time. I can prove this just showing you the timeline in the movies. Remember when Han landed the Falcon in the asteroid? Well in the movie they make it seem like it was only a few minutes in there, but in the BOOKS they spent around 2weeks inside it. The reason the movie didn't spend that much time on it was because the director of the movie made it into an action movie since he was forced to, because honestly they had no idea how popular star wars was going to be.

Rogue Jedi
grifta, what they are trying to say is that EU goes in the EU forum. i agree with you that the books are an important part of the star wars saga, but you have to respect the rules they make here.

grifta
I don't know what EU means so I don't understand.

Ushgarak
Expanded Universe- basically any thing not from the films. EU is 'not canon', which is to say it is not part of the official storyline (and this is according to Lucasfilm itself), so you cannot use it as source material to try and prove points about things here. EU goes in the dedicated section we have on the boards for it, where you can discuss things inside its own continuity.

Incidentally, Grifta, I have no idea why you thought they did not think ESB would be big. Everyone KNEW it would be massive! It was only the first film that no-one was sure about.

Rogue Jedi
i remember the hype that summer. my mom took me and my friend to see it. i dressed like luke on tattooine. i put on my moms karate shirt, her tan stretch pants, and wrapped ace bandages around my calves. i wore my dads brown leather belt and he made me a lightsaber handle made out of wood. i was the shiznit!!!!!

finti
Thats right EU cant be used arguing a point about the films, it is using the EU stuff that will leave you half assed all the time. SW is Lucas creation all the books are written by other authors. All the novilizations of the movies is written by others, only it is oked by GL.
To prove a point, in the ROTJ book Obi wan tells Luke that Owen Lars is his brother.

Rogue Jedi
you guys arent gonna change his mind. he just needs to understand that EU goes in the EU forum. ush had to pound it into me, but i finally got it.

finti
well it is called expanded universe for a reason you know

Rogue Jedi
i understand that. i think that it is a vital part of the star wars saga. that is my opinion, thats all it is. its his also.

finti
SW for me are the movies and only them, the rest is irrelevant to the plot. EU is like someone continued on the Lord Of the Rings trilogy.

Rogue Jedi
everyone has their preferences. best to just agree to disagree.

finti
prefrences or not even Lucas said that the books dont have too much to do with HIS Star Wars world

grifta
I didn't know that you guys don't accept EU as Star Wars, I do just my preference and I guess I apologize for using it as my land. I still consider EU being as great as the plot of the movies, being that the new Jedi during the Yuuzhan Vong wars are some of my favorite characters.

Ushgarak
There is no problem with you liking EU, you may consider it equal to the films or better than the films or you may consider the films to be incomplete without it- that is your right to opinion. But it makes no difference to the organisation of this place- OFFICIALLY speaking they are not part of George Lucas' storyline and because of that we make the clear distinction on this forum, of EU belonging in its place. If that policy from Lucasfilm changes, then we will change ours too but right now- and for the forseeable future- that is just the way it is.

grifta
then I apologize to you Ush for arguing. /me whistles innocently as this goes back to topic. smile

finti
no harm done grifta

Ushgarak
(nods)

All happy happy then!

Mist
why did dooku leave the order in the first place? i heard its cause he thought the republic was being corrupted or something.
also, how did he become a jedi if he was from a wealthy and respectde family? i thought jedi could only start training at a young age?

finti
we dont know too much of Dooku besides that he was Yodas apprentice, Qui Gon`s master and by the sounds of it in AOTC he left the order due to the corruption in the republic. "Head hunted" by Sideous and the dark side to become a sith apprentice
Actually thats all we know about Dooku.

Rogue Jedi
i imagine yoda and the council would keep records of who dooku, as well as the rest of the jedi, were taken from.

finti
guess so but we havent seen those though

Ushgarak
Why, Mist, do you think that because he comes from a respectable family, he cannot have been trained at a young age? If the 'Count' title is hereditary, he would get it when he got it whether he had been taken to the Temple as a young child or not.

Rogue Jedi
so was obi wan's name at birth in fact obi wan kenobi?

JixQuillan
Anakin will have to kill Tyrannus. Like Yoda said at Qui-Gons funeral, "Always 2 there are, no more, no less. a master and an apprentice." So for Anakin to become Sidious' apprentice he'll have to kill Tyrannus. Only then can Sidious train him. Good that we get rid of Tyrannus, bad that we get Vader.

finti
Anakin doesnt have to kill Dooku/Tyrannus to become the next sith apprentice. Dooku has to be die allright, but it doesnt have to be by Anakins hand.
we dont know if Obi Wan is his birth name. But like QJG he have three names

Rogue Jedi
i dont think anakin will have to kill dooku either. after all, dooku didnt kill darth maul, did he? i also think that infant padawans are given new names once they are selected. i dont know why i think this, i just do. anakin was an exception, because he was already about 10 years old and knew himself by that name. JUST A THEORY.

finti
guess that says it all actually.
And I follow you on the name thing with infant jedis.

JixQuillan
no but Dooku was taken on as an Apprentice after Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul. Since there's no more no less than 2 siths, Sidious had to find a new person, and Dooku had just turned away from the jedi order right after Maul was killed.

jedioutcast
the match would have lasted much longer and then when yoda walked in he would jump right in and kill him and it would screw the whole story line up

Morph
Jet Li vs. Sally Struthers.

JixQuillan
Jet Li is a major ripoff Bruce Lee. except he's a ***.

Rogue Jedi
jet li is a ripoff? whatever..... he is one of the few action stars you can watch and tell he really is a bad ass. steven segal and chuck norris are awesome too. anyway, back to topic.... dooku leaving the jedi order AROUND the same time as maul was killed just seems like coincidence if you ask me.

finti
ok back to Star wars

Rogue Jedi
like i said. was dooku leaving the order and maul dying around the same time a coincidence?

finti
Yes

imhotep
What about this:

Dooku is not Sidious's Padawan learner. He already was a Jedi Master who left the order because, as he says, of all the corruption in the Republic. In the end when he talks to Sidious it seems like he has been a part of the plot for a longer time than just since Maul's death. You must think of who ordered the Clone army and such. I think Dooku is a classic example of why there shouldn't be more than two Siths. He thinks he is playing with Darth Sidious, he has his own agenda and wants to eventually kill Sidious and take his place. (A common ocorrence in Star Wars) He is, obviously, much mistaken. That's why he will be the bait for Anakin to complete his journey to the dark side. Sidious his playing him! Making him feel like a peer, like his right arm or something.
But in the end I believe that what Sidious wants is not a competent side-arm, what he really enjoys is turning a good person into a bad one. He is constantli doing that, with Dooku, Anakin and Luke... Darth Maul was probably a nice guysmile

Rogue Jedi
interesting outlook.

finti
he never turned Luke

imhotep
Well he sure as hell tried didn't he?

finti
still, didnt turn him though

Rogue Jedi
luke turned for about 2 to 3 minutes when vader taunted him with leia. he came back though.

imhotep
Thank u.

Rogue Jedi
you are welcome. for what?

finti
he cant turn, not only for a minute. He got aggressive but so did Obi Wan in TPM.
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

imhotep
Well Rogue, and Finti, I guess thank u for being two Star Wars geeks like me who like to discuss eveything to the last detail

finti
geek????????? confused beer

imhotep
In a generally good, healthy, take no offence, just an expression kind of way...

Anyway, geeks rule, look at GL and Bill Gates, ultimate masters of geekness (that's a cool word I just made up).

Remeber when GL said he wanted te rights to the franchise of SW? The guys at the studio must have said: What a geek!

finti
hmmmmmmmmmmmm me fan, you all can be the geeks big grin

imhotep

finti
as always

Rogue Jedi
well, finti, in my opinion luke went farther to the dark side against vader than obi wan did against darth maul. luke let the dark side control his actions and make him stronger. obi wan slipped over to the dark side just enough to make him fight a little better.

AAskywalker
werwer

General Zodiac
Originally posted by imhotep
I think that compared to the way he fought in Ep1, Obi-wan's defeat by Dooku was too easy. He already proved he can do better than that, both he and Anakin made rookie mistakes leting their guard down like that.
Anyway, two against one is hardly fair whatever the adversary, I thougt Jedi were suposed to be these galant honorable Knights, always figthing fair no tricks etc...

Yeah and 2 on 1 with Maul is fair or 4 on 1 with Sidious is fair. Some galant honorable knights.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.