First Blood - Rambo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Baylin
I've been asked to see if I can find out if anyone knows of or remembers a Rambo film made before the Stalone movies with Donald Sutherland as Rambo.
It's called First Blood and apparently is much closer to the original book than the other films.
My dad says he can remember watching it but his friend says there is no such film - Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Evil Dead
No.........

First Blood IS the first Rambo movie..........

It stars Sylvester Stallone and Brian Dennehey (misspelled)............it is about John Rambo being arrested for vagrancy, escaping to the mountains and killing a bunch of officers as they try to bring him back in.........it ends up back in the city where Rambo kills the sherriff.

the sequel is called "Rambo: First Blood part 2".........John Rambo is released from prison so he can go to vietnam and search for evidence of P.O.W.s still being held there..........he finds them......but he wasn't supposed to so he is left there...........he wrecks shit, takes a vietnamese helicopter and rescues the P.O.W.s on his own.......

The second sequel is "Rambo III".............Col. Troutman is going to Afghanistan and asks for Rambo's help........Rambo refuses........after news that Troutman has gone missing Rambo goes to rescue his long time friend and mentor.

That's it.........those are the only Rambo movies.......

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood prt 2
Rambo III

BondJamesBond
I agree, but that was more info than we needed

Walter Simard
mad - How about avoiding posting spoilers or at the very least some **SPOILER** warnings for those that may not have seen this film yet. And for the record, Stallone's Rambo doesn't kill the sheriff at the end.

Kes
I think this movie is way to old for spoilers laughing out loud
But yeh guys try not to reveal to much. And if necessary post a warning.

Tired Hiker
I say if it's before 1990, spoil the hell out of it. Just kidding.

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

diegocala
But there are WAY more movies before 1990 than after

Evil Dead
I believe if a movie is over 20 years old you're not really "spoiling" anything............jesus..........if you havn't seen it by now, you won't.

And yes........Stallone as John Rambo does indeed kill the sherriff at the end of the movie, I own it on dvd.........the sherrif is above him, he shoots through up through the floor with a machine gun .........

Darth Vicious
I also believe that he didnt killed anybody in the movie, only the guy that fell from the helicopter died all the others were just wounded by Rambo including the Sheriff!

diegocala
Ahh, Let's get it on!
I believe the others
Sheriff lives

nopy
will stalone follow in arnies footsteps and comeback for Rambo IV ?

Baylin
The point of my query wasn't about the Stalone Rambo films that we all know and love but about a film called First Blood which was more closely based on the original novel by David Morrell.
I'm trying to find out if my dads gone doolally or not. He says he saw this film before any of the Stalone films were made and it had Donald Sutherland as Rambo.

Kes
I check Donald Sutherland bio and no movie named First Blood appears. Plus when search for First blood only Stallons movies come up.sad

Omegaman
A little bit of trivia, Rambo was suppose to Kill the sheriff in the movie then turn the gun on himself. But they decided to go with the other ending, with Rambo shooting into the air.

Walter Simard
Where in the hell do you get off in saying that someone else will never see a film that's over 20-years-old?

I've seen First Blood many times including last Saturday night, and no, Stallone's Rambo does not kill anyone in this film.

diegocala
It was not a well thought out statement!!

Also all I can find about Donald Sutherland is that he was the first on that was pegged to play Colonel Trautman but backed out do too scheduling problems

Baylin
Well thanks everyone!
I guess it's time to put my old man in a home, cos he aint making sense no more!!! blink

RockyBalboa
Sheriff lives at the end of First Blood.

diegocala
thanks...

ostec
Actually there WAS a Movie called "First Blood" a few years before Stallone made Rambo. I saw it.
I think I saw it on a Airplane in 1979/80 so maybe didn't make it to a commercial release. I think Donald Sutherland may have been the Colonel but was definately not the John Rambo character. I don't know who it was but it was someone who reminds me of Edward Norton but not him. I have been looking for years and can't find any trace of this movie.

Dude111
Welcome to Killermovies smile

I have FIRST BLOOD on VHS and I love it!!!!!!

Boy they sure picked the wrong guy to me$$ with!!!!!!

The first time I found this movie last year it was a 1995 release by AVID PICTURES (A crappy economy distributer that started in the 90s) and it was horrible! (Recorded in LP mode and wasnt good at all) -- I got rid of it and a few months back I found an ORIGINAL COPY of this by IVE in SP mode and its excellent!!

Are part 2 and 3 as good as the first? (Usually sequals arent as good)

riv6672
Holy cow this thread is ancient!

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Walter Simard
mad - How about avoiding posting spoilers or at the very least some **SPOILER** warnings for those that may not have seen this film yet. And for the record, Stallone's Rambo doesn't kill the sheriff at the end. try not having seen one not one star wars movie

riv6672
I believe those people exist.

That Sutherland movie escapes me. Cannot find anything on it.

Kazenji
Who the **** bumped this.

Dude111
A new member smile

Doesnt matter who did really.... This is a GOOD MOVIE and why have multiple threads about THE SAME TOPIC on this base??

Dates dont mean anything..... Just because the OP might not see it doesnt mean others will not benefit from it.. (New members,etc)

Its still a valid topic if someone searches for it and wants to add a reply about the subject at hand..... Not to worry smile

Esau Cairn
Dude meet Kaz.
He's the resident Captain Nit Picky of this site.

Kazenji
And meet Esau

he's the resident smartass of the site.

Esau Cairn
Australians... roll eyes (sarcastic)

riv6672
I am the resident insomniac.

ostec
Hi pepes.

This may be a very old thread originally but deserves to be BUMPed as the original question remains unanswered ? Perhaps a new generation of movies buffs can help ?

Can anybody find the evidence of a movie called "First Blood" a few years before Stallone made the first "Rambo" First Blood ... and who was in it?

I have searched many times and come up with nothing and yet I know it to exist because I have seen it.

Dude111
I believe its the same movie!!!! (He changed the name to RAMBO on the second movie I think)

focus4chumps
i guess it's possible donald sutherland was cast for the part when they originally intended to make the film, but they pulled the plug on it because it was the early 70's and they figured it was to soon for a vietnam film.

maybe they had begun filming and someone got a hold of some negatives. fact is however that there was no first blood movie before 1982.

Dude111
No........ I think what they came up with COULDNT HAVE BEEN BETTER!

That movie kicks all!!!!!!!!

ostec
As nobody seems to be able to help with the actual original question ... "Fact is" isn't a fact, it is an opinion ... I decided to go to the horses mouth and ask David Morrell.
His reponse was:
"I do recall a film that seemed to be an unusual precise rip-off of FIRST BLOOD. The sequence goes like this. I published FIRST BLOOD in 1972. The film was in development for 10 years, finally coming out in 1982. In the meantime, a B-buget film--or possibly even a made-for-tv movie--and with an unknown actor--heavily borrowed from my plot. I never knew if the producers who bought the film rights of my novel went after the B-budget production company, but for whatever reason, the film seems to have disappeared, perhaps under force. I don't recall the title."
So there WAS an earlier movie of First Blood prior to Stallone but it may not exist anymore do to a potential legal action ??

Nuf Sed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.