best film openings.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tired Hiker
I just saw Phone booth. Not a bad flick. I thought it had a great opening sequence. The music and use of sound in that movie are amazing. What other movies out there do you think have GREAT film openings?

Kes
I think both Matrix movies have great openings.
Scream has an interesting opening.

Tired Hiker
Yeah, Scream openings are way cool. rock

bluegrass
Natural Born Killers- The opening scene is when they kill everyone in the diner except for the one guy they let go to tell people what happened. They are killing everyone and they are so happy about it, hugging and kissing and laughing. They let you know right from the start that it was going to be a disturbing movie.

Tired Hiker
Bonfire of the Vanities. I don't think I ever saw the whole movie, but the opening scene was shot in one long take and it starts from a Gargoyle on top of a building and moves down into a parking garage and well, I don't remember the rest, but I remember it being cool and thinking, 'damn, that's really really cool.'

Kes
Oh how could I forget this!!! X2 has a kicka$$ opening sequence!

DeNiro
Final Destination 2 had a kick ass opening with the car wrecks.

SST_Defiant^DFA
yes, i agree with FD2, great opening sequence. Saving Private Ryan also has one of the best opening sequence.

SaTsuJiN
Final Fantasy : spirits within
had a pretty nice opening scene. *loves that movie*

Darth Vicious
X2, FD2, Scream are some of the best openings

thethief
That I can remember right now:

Pulp Fiction, Gladiator, AMELIE, haha that's all I could come with right now, sorry guys.

One of the longest opening scenes: Dead Man

YO shit SPIDERMAN! and it also has hands down the best closing sequence!

thethief
Uhm... no. Heh. I think you should maybe see more movies. smile

ragesRemorse
spiderman was a good movie, but i say my favorite movie openings are FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, INDIANA JONES, and BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF

I've seen a lot of movies, and Spiderman still takes the cake. The closing scene was better than opening though.
ALso 28 days later has a cool opening sequence i thought big grin

JRatT12

ragesRemorse
sp[iderman was a great flick but the ending was pretty much your basic hero ending, im glad they did it that way

lukeyduckey
Saving Private Ryan
Phone Booth
American pies
Rush Hour 2

wicker_man
Most James Bond Films - Particular Favourite is Goldeneye
Dawn of The Dead
Blade
Scream
Gladiator
Jaws
Tomb Raider
The Mummy
Gone in Sixty Seconds
Austin Powers 3: Goldmember
Ghostbusters
All Monty Python Films
Jurassic Park
Saving Private Ryan
Ace Ventura 2
Cliffhanger
John Carpenters Vampires
Halloween H20
All Three Indiana Jones Films
Jason X
The Lost Boys
And Predator 2

bluegrass
The original X-Men when they are in the concentration camp and the boy is seperated from his parents and when he reaches for the fence, it starts to bend and your like- Damn- It's Magneto! I guess you would have to be into X-Men to appreciate that one.
Also, I think it was the movie "The Burbs", which was an awful movie but the opening sequence is a view of the earth from space and it just keeps zooming in getting close and closer until finally focuses on a specific house-that was a good opening. Rest of the movie sucked though.
That's all that come to mind right now but I know there is way better than those out there.
Saving Private Ryan has to be the most intense opening scene ever though.

Kes
Oh yeh. I love the opening to the x-mensmile

Crash_Overload
Altime favorit opening, The Two Towers, When Gandalf fights the Balrog while falling into the abyss of the Moria caverns. By the way, the movie sucked, (sorry but its true to me) I think they should of kept with the book much more.

SaTsuJiN
Perhaps if you watched "The extended version" of LOTR : Fellowship
I dont think you would still say that. theres like an extra hour or half hour of deleted scenes and character developement

slave_chimp
wow, you guys are crazy. I cant beleive none of you said "Reservoir Dogs". Not particularly the opening scene in the cafe, but i mean, the opening credits sequence is AMAZING! I hope you all agree wiht me
Also, Pulp Fiction has a great opening sequence, especially when it goes right from the robbery to the great music

burlyman
how about memento's backwards opening

Fire
Blade, Gladiator and 28 days later

Kes
Have I said Operation Swordfish? Thats cool.
Yeh Memento is cool to.

Fire
hmmm

SaTsuJiN
day of the dead opening was great

I liked the opening to the first Alien movie as well. (I love ambience)

BackFire
Kids.

Fire
True, there was an opening I didn't expect

forumcrew
for some comedy.. austin powers 3

burlyman
eek! yes! laughing out loud

o kiMMii o
def terminator 2.....that was brilliant!!
the score was great..., with the burning park etc etc....

ragesRemorse
now that i saw them

Kill Bill
Matrix reloaded
Two towers

And sticking to the classic again raders of the lost Ark is the best opening scene in any movie,

national lampoons christmas vacation.. BRILLIANT

Twister
REquiem for a dream
batman returns
Lion King
Aladdin
and last but not least demon night, and or frum dusk till dawn

SaTsuJiN
I loved the opening from Star Wars Ep. IV : A New Hope. Thats an opener that I can never forget thumb up

movie_freak
Matrix
Matrix Reloaded
X-men 2
Two Towers
Fellowship of the Ring
Austin Powers: Goldmember

alic88
terminator 2 with the future war

slayer
Fd2 and Screams openings kick-ass!

Ichabod
i thought 'Urban Legend' had a really good opening. its a shame the rest of the film turned out to be shit.

fini
i cant remember too many movie openings right now but from the top of my head
Saving private Ryan opening was wicked!!!!
LOTR openings are great.......... i rather FOTR opening......with cate blanchett narrating.......that woman's voice is incredible

and as for TTT we all ( who read the book) were overjoyed with the gandalf vs balrog fight.

burlyman
im not sure anyone has mentioned this yet; fight club!

thorncrawler
my personal favourite was 'it' but i also liked both x-mens star wars iv and the matrix's

Tired Hiker
Super-man has a kick ass beginning.

Hypernova
Yes, FOTR. Indiana Jones Films. rock rock

X-Men 2, Swordfish and Tomb Raider thumb up thumb up

shadow link
both matrix's and lord of rings openings.

oh and spirited away opening, when there in the car, thats a great bit of animation

Stormy_Day
X-2 most definetly smile

Myth
Definitely Swordfish and Goldmember. No other beginnings come close.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.