KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Which is better - DC Animated Films or Marvel Cinematic Universe Films?

DC Animated Films or MCU?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
DC Animated 5 62.50%
Marvel Cinematic 3 37.50%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Which is better - DC Animated Films or Marvel Cinematic Universe Films?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Which is better - DC Animated Films or Marvel Cinematic Universe Films?

Basically, every animated DC film from the 90's to now vs The current live-action MCU!

DC has been unequivocally destroyed in the live-action market outside of a few awesome singular films, they're behind by far in both quantity and quality, but we knew that.

This is about the MCU films, and if you think the DC Universe has animated movies like "Batman: Under the Red Hood", "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2", "Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox", "Superman: Red Son", and "Wonder Woman: Bloodlines" can compare.

Can movies such as these compare to the stellar MCU movies, or are even DC's strongest visual narratives still not enough to compare?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 22nd, 2021 01:41 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Well tbf I think the bar has been set so high for them that they wouldnt even bother competing now. I mean the MCU is by far the biggest and most popular movie franchise of all time. Nothing else even comes close, not Star Wars, Harry Potter or LOTR. Never mind the DCEU.

As for the animated movies, there have been some great ones, but theyve been pretty pis poor in recent years. I think the JLAU would be the better comparison as an ongoing shared universe of high quality.

Old Post May 28th, 2021 06:39 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

DC does better cartoons, Marvel does better movies.
Thus it has always been and will ever be.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2021 08:39 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Well tbf I think the bar has been set so high for them that they wouldnt even bother competing now. I mean the MCU is by far the biggest and most popular movie franchise of all time. Nothing else even comes close, not Star Wars, Harry Potter or LOTR. Never mind the DCEU.

As for the animated movies, there have been some great ones, but theyve been pretty pis poor in recent years. I think the JLAU would be the better comparison as an ongoing shared universe of high quality.
this is the thing, from Superman the movie to the Dark knight, 30 years. DC made the best movies. It wasn't until Iron Man, Marvel produced a decent film, well maybe X2... I still think most comic films are trash. For every 300 or Watchmen, how many Thor the Dark World or Catwoman have we seen. Marvel are in ascendancy at the moment it only takes a flop or a better film fom DC for all that to change.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2021 11:20 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

DC can't really save their cinematic universe at this point.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2021 12:39 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
DC can't really save their cinematic universe at this point.
they can still make some good films. I'd go for an adaptation of the great Darkness saga. 2.5 hours.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2021 04:27 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by riv6672
Yeah but - gun to your head if you were absolutely forced to save DC Animated or Marvel Cinematic, which do you pick?

That's the point of this thread.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 02:45 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
this is the thing, from Superman the movie to the Dark knight, 30 years. DC made the best movies. It wasn't until Iron Man, Marvel produced a decent film, well maybe X2... I still think most comic films are trash. For every 300 or Watchmen, how many Thor the Dark World or Catwoman have we seen. Marvel are in ascendancy at the moment it only takes a flop or a better film fom DC for all that to change.

Thor TDW might be one of the weakest MCU movies but it's still better than a good chunk of other superhero movies out there. It's far, far better than Catwoman and I know a good number of general audiences actually prefer it over Watchmen.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 04:38 PM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

The Direct to DVD films are all over the place in terms of quality they’re better than the DCEU but aren’t essential viewing at all

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 05:41 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

The way I interpreted this thread is that we're comparing DC animated films to MCU live action films. If that's the case, the MCU films clearly dominate.

DC creates some of the best animated films around but they still can't compare to the live-action MCU films in general.

But as far as decent Marvel animated films, the last good one I can recall was Planet Hulk and they haven't really produced that much. Of those that were produced, at least half were crap.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 05:57 PM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

The MCU is better as a whole than the DC animated films.

Batman: Under The Red Hood, Wonder Woman and Justice League: Flashpoint are top tier and likely the three best DC animated films, but they don't compare to films like Iron Man (2008), Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Speaking of, looking forward to 'Batman: The Long Halloween Pt1' on June 22nd.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Jun 8th, 2021 at 06:06 PM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 06:02 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Yeah but - gun to your head if you were absolutely forced to save DC Animated or Marvel Cinematic, which do you pick?

That's the point of this thread.

Wait, is it YOU holding a gun to my head, cuz I gotta think you’ll shoot yourself on accident, or you forgot to load the gun, or you’re gonna leave the safety on. And I’d LMFAO.

After which I’d save the MCU, it’s def. the better long term investment for my entertainment needs.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2021 08:44 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by riv6672

Essentially, yes.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 9th, 2021 10:00 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Robtard
The MCU is better as a whole than the DC animated films.

Batman: Under The Red Hood, Wonder Woman and Justice League: Flashpoint are top tier and likely the three best DC animated films, but they don't compare to films like Iron Man (2008), Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Speaking of, looking forward to 'Batman: The Long Halloween Pt1' on June 22nd.
Have you seen the two "Dark Knight Returns" movies?

Some of the best DC's ever produced IMO.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2021 08:15 PM
tkitna

I screwed up and thought this was DC animated versus Marvel animated. MCU blows anything DC has done out of the water. Yeah the Superman and Batman flicks were cool at the time, but thats because we didnt know any better. The MCU opened our eyes.

By Stoic

Old Post Jun 9th, 2021 08:57 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Have you seen the two "Dark Knight Returns" movies?

Some of the best DC's ever produced IMO.

Oh, shit, forgot. Those two are up there as top tier. Especially the first one.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 9th, 2021 09:06 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Worst fight choreography in the history of cinema.

I've really enjoyed TDK, though. Begins and tdkr disappointed me.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2021 09:47 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Basically, every animated DC film from the 90's to now vs The current live-action MCU!

DC has been unequivocally destroyed in the live-action market outside of a few awesome singular films, they're behind by far in both quantity and quality, but we knew that.

This is about the MCU films, and if you think the DC Universe has animated movies like "Batman: Under the Red Hood", "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2", "Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox", "Superman: Red Son", and "Wonder Woman: Bloodlines" can compare.

Can movies such as these compare to the stellar MCU movies, or are even DC's strongest visual narratives still not enough to compare?

The original DC animated movies are great. The loose adaptations are hit and miss.

Thought The Dark Knight Returns was fine, while The Long Halloween was problematic.

And by problematic, I mean it made very odd changes that make no sense. Take Alberto Falcone, in the source comic he wanted to help was his father refused to let him into the organized crime end. Yet in the animation he's this noble thing that never wanted any part of the crime family, and is physically beaten up and throttled by his own father?

What's the point of this change? Unless maybe the children of mobsters are making DC animations now, and this is an ego driven thing they put into their films?

Kind of like how The Godfather film was forced to give more respect to monbsters compared to the cretins they are in real life.

Would also explain why they subbed out the Irish Mob for the Triads as Dents killer. Because the film makers at Warner ARE the Irish Mob, or children of mobsters.

I mean call me crazy, but the changes have no point to them.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2022 07:10 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote