KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Are Muscle and Strenght The Same?

Do They?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yeah, pretty much 4 14.29%
Nah 23 82.14%
I Dunno 1 3.57%
Total: 25 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Are Muscle and Strenght The Same?
Started by: Inspectah Deck

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
k00L kiD
life is a dream

Are Muscle and Strenght The Same?

Are they?

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 12:46 AM
k00L kiD is currently offline Click here to Send k00L kiD a Private Message Find more posts by k00L kiD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maestro

No

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 12:47 AM
Maestro is currently offline Click here to Send Maestro a Private Message Find more posts by Maestro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

i guess it depends on how you gain that muscle

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 12:52 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Muscle is stored nitrogen in the form of striated or unstriated tissue.
Strength can be defined in many ways including moral strength, tensile strength etc.
The answer is a big no.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 12:57 AM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

oh not an anal debate on semantics messed

he means physical strength

and no, that doesnt mean immunity, you know what it means

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 12:59 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by PVS
oh not an anal debate on semantics messed

he means physical strength

leverage is at least as important e.g. moments of force smile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 01:00 AM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

No they aren't

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 01:22 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
k00L kiD
life is a dream

Originally posted by soleran30
No they aren't

elaborate

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 01:37 AM
k00L kiD is currently offline Click here to Send k00L kiD a Private Message Find more posts by k00L kiD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

There are 3 types of muscle fibers and they all have a different purpose.....

1) slow twitch muscle fibers(white) used for endurance running, swimming, rowing etc etc I can fine tune this for you if you want...

2) medium twitch fibers(white and red) obviously have some explossive use however tend wear out faster then slow twitch........800 meter dash, 200 yard freestyle etc etc

3) fasst twitch fibers (red) used for explosive force.....line man busting through the line on a hike, max bench press, squat etc etc....

However tendons and ligaments also play a significant piece in how strong you are simply from where they insert and attach to different places on bones........so someone that is relatively slender could outlift someone who is larger then them simply due to genetics all things equal.........I am sure Mr Wurly could give you a more thorough dissertationsmile There is ALOT more but what are you specifically looking for?

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 02:20 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
k00L kiD
life is a dream

Does muscle necessarily mean strength

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 02:37 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nah.

I know someone who is fairly strong but not muscley at all.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 02:39 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Originally posted by Inspectah Deck

To a certain degree you need a certain amount of muscle density to handle certain weights of course there are always people who can do obscene weight lifting with minimum muscle mass..........

However something to remember when you lift "heavy"weights your body has to be able to not only lift it but your skeletal structure has to support it so extra muscle mass can indeed help you lift more....

So yes muscle does mean strength........but its not like you have to be HUGE just have alot of muscle density proportional to your total body mass.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 03:05 AM
Sweet Sacrifice
=^_^=

it all depends on how you define Strength and what type.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 03:12 AM
Sweet Sacrifice is currently offline Click here to Send Sweet Sacrifice a Private Message Find more posts by Sweet Sacrifice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
k00L kiD
life is a dream

Originally posted by soleran30
To a certain degree you need a certain amount of muscle density to handle certain weights of course there are always people who can do obscene weight lifting with minimum muscle mass..........

However something to remember when you lift "heavy"weights your body has to be able to not only lift it but your skeletal structure has to support it so extra muscle mass can indeed help you lift more....

So yes muscle does mean strength........but its not like you have to be HUGE just have alot of muscle density proportional to your total body mass.

I was about to use Arnold Shrawnegger as an example laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 03:33 AM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

I don't understand the question, "Are Muscle and Strength The Same"

Strength and muscle are not the same thing, but maybe I am misunderstanding you. Are you trying to ask if the strength of an individual is dictated by that persons' musculature?

strength vs. power would be a better debate

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 03:48 AM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
k00L kiD
life is a dream

Originally posted by KharmaDog
I don't understand the question, "Are Muscle and Strength The Same"

Strength and muscle are not the same thing, but maybe I am misunderstanding you. Are you trying to ask if the strength of an individual is dictated by that persons' musculature?

strength vs. power would be a better debate

No I meant

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 03:50 AM
bogen

im agreeing with most people when thay say no but im just puttinin my two cents.

Strength prehaps as in bench pressing 250 kg, yeah stong but useless.

For the most part people say there strong when the can lift their own body wieght and a bit more( e.g. i wiegh 80 kg and am 6ft flat but i can lift 110kg for the most part does that mean i have strength yes id'e like to think so)

But in a fight strength means almost nothing unless your a wrestler, martial arts for the ,most part means speed and power at key points in a kata or other movement, the ability to put out alot of power in comarisan to other stats i.e. build, size, wieght. iv'e found has for the most part got to do with using and enhncing what you have got also using a particular mind set.

A thin, small person depending on emotion, train of thought and weather they have streched and warmed up wold be able for the most part be able to put out anything from a bone shattering punch or kick or a weak nothing strike.

Also in the area of wieghts and such judo, karate and tae kwon do are prim examples of using what you as a sportsman has on the other guy i.e Strong vs weak
slow vs fast ect.
these show that by moving and placing your own wieght in certain places in certain positions the throw or graple nomatter what the wieght of the oponent is going to sent them flying possibly 10 feet sometimes more

So i hope i helped

Facebook
Cheers starlock, your a champ. wink

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 09:32 AM
bogen is currently offline Click here to Send bogen a Private Message Find more posts by bogen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Re: Are Muscle and Strenght The Same?

Are they?
Obviously muscle and strength aren't the same thing, thats like asking if feet and speed are the same thing.

Does strength come from muscles? Definitely.

The stronger a muscle is the faster it goes, but I believe you are asking whether or not a muscular person is a strong person.

I have bodysculpted for several years now, and at my peak my bodyfat was a lil' under 2%, and I weighed about 66kg. I was in the best shape in my area, but I never really lifted weights. I could do thousands of pushups and situps a day, and I could lift lawnmowers and the end of a riding lawnmower at a young age.

Strength is useless without control and power. Whats the difference between strength and power you ask?

Well, what is better? To be able to use 90% of your strength ONCE and burn out??

Or, to use 60% of your strength for long periods of time, and not burn out?

I'd say the latter would be better and more practical, because lifting 500 pounds while being unable to do 5 chinups is near useless. Unless its for American football, where being able to explode and stop is crucial, and even then you want control and stamina.

Now for muscles, TEARING them strengthens them, but overdoing it can actully make them strength.

Protein feeds the muscle while carbs are the fuel, and too many carbs makes a fat storage in your body.

Okay, rant over...

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 11:09 AM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

Depends what kind of muscle you're talking about. White muscle fibers are fast twitch, and are most responsible for strength and power. Red muscle fibers are slow twitch, and are the endurance muscle. A long distance runner will have more red muscle cells in proportion to their white muscle cells than a sprinter, who will have a higher white muscle fiber count.

So, in short, no, muscles and strength are not the same thing.

What is this I don't even

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 11:25 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Technically if you had strong red muscle fibers, they would be in better shape, and allow you to do endurance related exercies, while strong white muscle would allow you to explode and stop, respectively.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 12:47 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote