KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why has nasa only been to the moon once?

WHy has nasa only been to the moon once?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
no $$$$ 1 11.11%
dont need to learn anything more 2 22.22%
aliens 4 44.44%
they have enuf other problems in the us 2 22.22%
Total: 9 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Why has nasa only been to the moon once?
Started by: Faceless

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Faceless
Hereos Fall

Question Why has nasa only been to the moon once?

WHY has nasa onoly been to the moon once?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 11:40 PM
Faceless is currently offline Click here to Send Faceless a Private Message Find more posts by Faceless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

nasa has been to the moon several times blink

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 11:43 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Genius
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think its been 3 or 4

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 11:50 PM
Evil Genius is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Genius a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Genius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Faceless
Hereos Fall

o lol then i thought so my science teachers a dumb ass then...

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 11:55 PM
Faceless is currently offline Click here to Send Faceless a Private Message Find more posts by Faceless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Genius
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think they must be

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 11:57 PM
Evil Genius is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Genius a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Genius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

WHAT!? NASA has been to the moon 7 times. Or so I herd.

Don't blame this on your teacher, we know its you wink

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 11:59 PM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

there was one overall set of missions: apollo.

maybe you just misunderstood

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 12:02 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Faceless
o lol then i thought so my science teachers a dumb ass then...

Before you call someone a dumb ass for being wrong, what do you call some one who is taught something, but doesn't bother to investigate it further before they try to have a discussion about it?

Are they also a dumb ass? Or just lazy?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 12:28 AM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Echuu
Master Jedi

Originally posted by KharmaDog
Are they also a dumb ass? Or just lazy?

Both stick out tongue

"Jesus also thought that non-believers should be stoned"------Alliance

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 01:04 AM
Echuu is currently offline Click here to Send Echuu a Private Message Find more posts by Echuu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

the theory that man never went to the moon is probably the only conspiracy that i think is true....because there are some hard scientific reasons that it wasn't possible using the technology available and still isn't possible

the main one being solar radiation shielding...the Russians caluculated that once completely out of the earths magnetic shielding and thus any protection from the sun...a human would need 7 feet thick lead to protect them from the radiation....to build a capsule with this much would be impossible to lift into orbit using the rocket power available.

the other main piece of evidence that i noticed is when the lander module takes off from the moons surface...the camera pans up and follows it...thus meaning there was someone working the camera...so did they leave someone behind or was it just filmed in a dingy hollywood studio?

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 10:13 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

the astronauts do not fly during solar flares and what you may mean by radiation may come from the van allen belt, which is usually cleared in a bout 25 minutes.
The truth is that it's very expensive, very dangerous (especially with current flawed shuttle designs and how unbelievably outdated NASA's systems are-they still use transistor circuitry), and not particularly necesary in terms of science. I mean we know most everything about the moon including it's probable origins and why it's so abnormally huge for a terrestrial planet. Anything else we may need to know can be found through unmanned probes which are less expensive and don't risk human lives.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 11:40 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

I don't believe they went the moon in the first place but if I'm wrong and they did they probably just couldn't really find any substantial reason to go back.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 01:31 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"the camera pans up and follows it"

People who think tuis sort of thing is evidence of a hoax have a severe logic failure. Do peopl;e really think that NASA is THAT stupid, as to leave such a blatant problem if it was a hoax?

How the heck can a panning camera- which can be explained in a dozen ways, including that it was designed that way- be taken as direct evidence of a hoax?

And the radiation thing is a perpetuated myth. The Russians are sour because their programme never worked out, but it was nothing to do with radiation, just practicality with the physics of it.

But no, you do not receive a lethal radiation dose on the way to the moon.

So as said, the reason we haven't been back is damn simple- there is bugger all there. Trust me, Humans will find a way to get anywhere that is useful to them. Right now, the Moon is not.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 01:36 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by jaden101
the theory that man never went to the moon is probably the only conspiracy that i think is true....because there are some hard scientific reasons that it wasn't possible using the technology available and still isn't possible

the main one being solar radiation shielding...the Russians caluculated that once completely out of the earths magnetic shielding and thus any protection from the sun...a human would need 7 feet thick lead to protect them from the radiation....to build a capsule with this much would be impossible to lift into orbit using the rocket power available.

the other main piece of evidence that i noticed is when the lander module takes off from the moons surface...the camera pans up and follows it...thus meaning there was someone working the camera...so did they leave someone behind or was it just filmed in a dingy hollywood studio?

But what about the waving flag.......

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 02:12 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by grey fox
But what about the waving flag.......

it wasn't waving...it had a horizontal support along the top of the flag

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/H...1-40-5905HR.jpg

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 02:32 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Intense solar flares release very-high-energy particles that can be as injurious to humans as the low-energy radiation from nuclear blasts. Earth's atmosphere and magnetosphere allow adequate protection for us on the ground, but astronauts in space are subject to potentially lethal dosages of radiation. The penetration of high-energy particles into living cells, measured as radiation dose, leads to chromosome damage and, potentially, cancer. Large doses can be fatal immediately. Solar protons with energies greater than 30 MeV are particularly hazardous. In October 1989, the Sun produced enough energetic particles that an astronaut on the Moon, wearing only a space suit and caught out in the brunt of the storm, would probably have died. (Astronauts who had time to gain safety in a shelter beneath moon soil would have absorbed only slight amounts of radiation.)

from here

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/primer/primer.html

the solar cycle is something like 11 years...we are currently in a solar minimum which means that flare and sunspot activity are at its lowest and thus at its safest levels

i think to say that the moon

john maudlin who was a physicist at NASA was the person who said that at least 2 metres of shielding would be required

there were also several other pieces of evidence put forward for the hoax theory...the landing module creating no dust updrafts while landing...many others regarding the footage taken including an astonishing claim by the australians

all of it is on this site...yes i'm aware it a conspiracy site and no i'm not turning into Deano...but its probably the only conspiracy where there us actual evidence put forward rather than total bullshit about lizards and stuff

http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicapollo.html

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 02:53 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak
So as said, the reason we haven't been back is damn simple- there is bugger all there. Trust me, Humans will find a way to get anywhere that is useful to them. Right now, the Moon is not.

and that pretty much sums it up.
at the moment the moon is nothing more to us
than a giant useless rock. so why devote the
resources to accomplish what we've already accomplished?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 02:55 PM
Fire

Originally posted by PVS
and that pretty much sums it up.
at the moment the moon is nothing more to us
than a giant useless rock. so why devote the
resources to accomplish what we've already accomplished?

I don't know but Bush and NASA are planning a new set of missions there no? (think I heard stuff like that on the news a while ago)

Also haven't the chinese expressed their interest?

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 03:42 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

Originally posted by Fire
I don't know but Bush and NASA are planning a new set of missions there no? (think I heard stuff like that on the news a while ago)

Also haven't the chinese expressed their interest?
NASA are planning a set of missions to mars for 2020 or something. There is no reason to go back to the moon, we know more about it than we do our own planet.

The whole shadow thing is complete bs. Its simply due to the moon having such a rough and uneven surface that the shadows are not parallel as they should be.

No stars in the background I hear you say lol. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of photography can easily put this one to rest. Any brightly lit foreground object must be photographed with a very short exposure time. Otherwise, the image will be badly overexposed. Any background pinpoint light sources like, say stars that are literally trillions of miles further away will not show up at all. Likewise, if the photographer wants to capture the background stars, he is going to have to use a very long exposure time, which means that the foreground will be totally washed out in one blob of overexposed light. It's really as simple as that.

Do I even have to address the camera thing, just sheer stupidity lol.

Oh but the Van Allen radiation belts I hear you say. Simple, all they had to do was send it through the belts at high speeds (25,000mph) avoiding long term exposure and keeping their dose down to just 1 rad which is below any harmful limit.

So instead of just saying oh but the radiation would kill them, do some research and rethink your opinion. smile

Last edited by Magee on Dec 5th, 2005 at 04:28 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 04:25 PM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Because the aliens have leased the moon until 2020. laughing

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 04:40 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote