KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Bombay Attacks

Bombay Attacks
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Bombay Attacks

Everyone must have noticed these lunatic attacks in Bombay on the news.

What the hells going on, why are they doing this?
The Indian Muslims got their own country, Pakistan. So what are they after now. Another piece of the cake?

And why do some major news channels call the place Mumbai?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 05:33 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Because Mumbai is the way Bombay is now called?

For the same reason it St Petersburg and not Leningrad? It got renamed?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 06:11 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

as of 9 am EST, there were still hostages being held in the Taj and another luxury hotel, as well as in some Jewish neighbourhoods. according to the wiki, it might all be over: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/26_Nov..._Mumbai_attacks

The group claiming responsibility is named Deccan Mujihadeen, though interviewed terrorism experts said that they have never heard of the group before. Deccan refers to a geographical area in India.

When the hostage takers called the media to request to speak to the government, the reporter said the man had a Kashmiri accent, for what that is worth.

There is always the chance that the name is a cover for another organization, and the "al qaeda" accusations are already flying. The targeting of Americans and Brits seems to follow a Jihadist pattern, but that isn't proof of anything, as Indian police have concerns about radical Hindu nationalism.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:11 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Also heard that their agenda is to push for a "pan-Islamic state" in Indian, though with all the confusion and half-truths since this is still recently new, who knows who they really are and what their motive is/was.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:16 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deccan_Mujahideen

the wiki of the group

apparently the wiki page (for the attacks) was applauded in the mainstream press for being the quickest to have updates and the most complete coverage. I found this with the mohammed cartoon issue as well. Totally unrelated, aside from it being interesting.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:17 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Also heard that their agenda is to push for a "pan-Islamic state" in Indian, though with all the confusion and half-truths since this is still recently new, who knows who they really are and what their motive is/was.

As a total non-expert, I'd say it seems likely that it was an Islamist group, and I'd even go so far as to say they are likely native Indians with more nationalistic than religious motives (if put in a religious narrative, ie "pan-islamic").

I could be totally off, but the implication of this being a trans-national group with links to, OMFG, Al Qaeda seems too, umm, convenient? (if that word makes sense).

Like with the red Mosque thing, and the accusations of "Al Qaeda opperatives" inside along with the other "hostage takers" (god what a confusing incident that was). Likely those people, and the attackers in India, have connections ideologically and maybe even directly to Al Qaeda, yet the idea that this is an Al Qaeda operation, or has Al Qaeda influence, is probably irrelevant. Like the bombers in the UK, they might just slap the name Al Qaeda on like a brand name to get more attention. Saying you are in cahoots with Bin Laden is an instant credibility boost.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:26 PM
tsilamini

According to this article: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/10392, Deccan Mujahideen is likely the group Indian Mujahhideen, who are responsible for at least 130 deaths in the past 4 months (http://www.deccanherald.com/CONTENT...n=frontpagenews).

There is also speculation of ties between rogue elements of the ISI and Kashmiri groups.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:31 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Well they did ask for British and American to say who they were - persumably to kill them. So there might be more to their motives.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:32 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by lil bitchiness

It will be always be Leningrad in our hearts.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:42 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by inimalist
as of 9 am EST, there were still hostages being held in the Taj and another luxury hotel, as well as in some Jewish neighbourhoods.

Where's Harrison Ford and Bruce Willis when you need 'em?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:45 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Well they did ask for British and American to say who they were - persumably to kill them. So there might be more to their motives.

indeed, though that does beg the question, why?

watching videos of Bin Laden or al-Zawahiri, they appear to hate Indians just as much, if not moreso than Westerners.

I think you bring up an excellent point. Were these typical Jihadi attacks, there would be more indiscriminate killing (although over 90% of the victims appear to be Indian) rather than the targeting of foreigners.

Potentially they are trying to reduce tourism income from Mumbai, or I heard an analyst say that these hotels and tourist locals are very much icons to local Indians, so there may be more symbolism to the attack than just influencing tourists to stay away from India.

It will be interesting to watch this play out.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 07:49 PM
KidRock

Damn shame and a real tragedy. Hopefully those people didn't die in vein though and more join in on the fight against terrorism because of this.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 08:42 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

How do these sorts of attacks never spread in the western world on a consistent basis?

I can't imagine it takes much money to do random drive bys or drive a truck into a hotel.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 09:25 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Apparently it is over Cashmere? They both claim ownership of it. How disruptive this could be because they are both nuclear countries.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2008 10:14 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cloud102

Originally posted by chithappens
How do these sorts of attacks never spread in the western world on a consistent basis?

I can't imagine it takes much money to do random drive bys or drive a truck into a hotel.

Damn, and I just started a thread about terrorists. I don't think it's hard to take over a ship, either. Or like you said, random bombs on trains in NY, which they are looking into. It's only a matter of time, I think. You can't secure everything.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2008 11:21 AM
cloud102 is currently offline Click here to Send cloud102 a Private Message Find more posts by cloud102 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, though plenty of people still call it Bombay and the names have been pretty much interchangeable in the press here. Technically speaking it is not for a country to demand what other people call its cities- or even its own country.

I live in England, not Angleterre, London and not Londres. I call it Germany and not Deutschland.

Sometimes you are just stuck with what other people call your places.

As a further example, the stock exchange that got closed because of these attacks is still known as the Bombay Stock Exchange internationally.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 28th, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2008 11:30 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ushgarak

I live in England, not Angleterre, London and not Londres. I call it Germany and not Deutschland.

But you say you live in Chelmsford stick out tongue

No, but it's quite right, in some cases it's just necessary, as the language might commonly not be able to deal with the pronunciation of a place. Or it might be ambigous how to spell or pronounce it. And even then, if a place has been called something for a very long time and it just changed relatively recently, you will probably not get the majority of people to change what they called a place in just a bit.

Though, on the other hand, such News Reports using the new name, enforce the new name, and it therefore might take hold in time in the general population.

I guess I should say the new "official" name, though.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2008 01:35 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

I heard on a radio interview that this is probably a Pakistani Military backed operation, the Pakistani government apparently have problems controlling the Military.

If this turns out to be the case, with evidence then it could escalate rapid fashion. And as Deja~vu already mentioned, these are countries with Nuclear capability.

As for the name change, its weird that the German & Spanish news still refer to it as Bombay, mind you they refer to Myrnamar as Burma, some countries are slow at catching on it would seem.

I wonder if my favorite TV watching snack "Bombay mix" has also been renamed as well.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 28th, 2008 03:30 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

The new pakistani government is not as anti-india as previous ones, and has made large motions toward india and the west.

There may be connections to members of the military and intelligence service, but the Pakistani government has enough problems with militants themselves.

from Al Jazeera

I'm very skeptical of the Pakistan link, and I do not think a nuclear standoff is likely. I really think it is a local group.

As of a BBC report like 10 min ago, the Oberon hotel is now under army control. There are still a couple of gunmen in the Taj, with potentially many hostages. From what they were saying, this will take a while as the commandos have to secure every room in this huge ass hotel. Also, still a standoff at the Jewish center.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2008 04:54 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

The problem is if these sort of attacks continues what can they do about it. Pakistan is next to Afghanistan and India being a massive countries with mountainous areas for a border by Pakistan, itīs not very difficult for lunatic groups to get through.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2008 07:57 PM