KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What is an "adult"?

What is an "adult"?
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

What is an "adult"?

Define an adult without relying on a specific age or laws. Define what traits or qualities you would want in a person before you would label that person as an adult.

For me, it requires:

1. Sexual maturity.

2. The ability to make at least decent decisions regarding complex social situations.

I prefer to add other things, but I will shush and let others discuss this topic, first.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:05 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

depends on the context.

totally random example: if we were discussing a court case involving an adult then the legal definition would be the only proper and appropriate one. smile

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:12 AM
focus4chumps is currently offline Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: What is an "adult"?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by focus4chumps
depends on the context.

totally random example: if we were discussing a court case involving an adult then the legal definition would be the only proper and appropriate one. smile

Try to stay on topic.

Originally posted by dadudemon
Define an adult without relying on a specific age or laws.

That's specifically not supposed to be how you would define an adult. You, yourself, are supposed to provide your own definition, external of any laws or age.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:17 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

but you dont get to do that. no

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:22 AM
focus4chumps is currently offline Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

but you dont get to do that. no

I do.

1. It's my thread
2. That is the point of discussion in the OP.
3. This is the GDF.

If you want to discuss a similar topic, but not the same as mine, open another thread. I'll even civilly participate just to show support for your thread.

In the mean time, please stop derailing my thread with off-topic commentary.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:26 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

About 18ish or 19ish or so.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:42 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Sorry, DDM, you don't get to micromanage a thread just because you started it, that's a moderator's job. If you feel a rule was broken in a thread report the post. Don't play moderator. But I'll save you the trouble, no rule was broken here.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:43 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:51 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

You aren't an adult until you kill your first wampa and eat its heart raw.

I laffed.

Last edited by Nephthys on Jul 16th, 2013 at 01:00 AM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:56 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by BackFire
Sorry, DDM, you don't get to micromanage a thread just because you started it, that's a moderator's job. If you feel a rule was broken in a thread report the post. Don't play moderator. But I'll save you the trouble, no rule was broken here.

Since when was it okay to post off topic in a thread? The OP specifically states, "Define an adult without relying on a specific age or laws."

So what does his first post contain? An age reference, of course.

That's not me micromanaging a thread. I didn't report jack, I just asked him to stay on topic in my thread. We both know he was trolling, as usual.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 01:07 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It does not qualify as off topic because you pointlessly attempted to expel a perfectly valid sub-topic of the discussion before the the discussion even took place - presumably because that segment of the topic was not favorable to your argument in the other thread.

He said it depended on the context, which is a reasonable statement, especially since the context of the discussion which spawned this thread is one regarding a court case where legal terms are what actually matter, as opposed to fairly abstract opinion-based thoughts as to what does or doesn't constitute an adult.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 01:22 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

imho arbitrary-natured logic diversions like this belong in the philosophy forum smile

if its here in the gdf, its just you dictating what denotes an adult by eliminating people who disagree.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 01:36 AM
jinXed by JaNx

We're all struggling to become adults. Adult is an idea. The idea of an adult differs with each culture. I suppose, generally speaking when one is able to be responsible enough to take care of themselves that is when they become an adult. However, that's where it depends on the culture. What is responsible enough? Personally i think you're an adult somewhere in your late teens. biology..,you're body, mind and soul let you know when you're an adult.

Some people are forced to become an adult at a very young age due to environment and this often hinders their intellectual or social growth later on in years.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 03:02 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

imho arbitrary-natured logic diversions like this belong in the philosophy forum smile

if its here in the gdf, its just you dictating what denotes an adult by eliminating people who disagree.

Just the same as I told you on Bardock's site, it is a question of physiology, psychology, and sociology: not necessarily philosophy.

Originally posted by BackFire
It does not qualify as off topic because you pointlessly attempted to expel a perfectly valid sub-topic of the discussion before the the discussion even took place - presumably because that segment of the topic was not favorable to your argument in the other thread.

He said it depended on the context, which is a reasonable statement, especially since the context of the discussion which spawned this thread is one regarding a court case where legal terms are what actually matter, as opposed to fairly abstract opinion-based thoughts as to what does or doesn't constitute an adult.

Quite odd that jinXed by JaNx seemed to get it and discussed, on-topic, the idea of an "adult."

And your presumption is incorrect. If you go back and read that thread, you'll see why I created another thread.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 12:43 PM
Archaeopteryx

One is biologically an adult when they can reproduce their own species. In human terms one is legally an adult when they can engage in contract. When a human is emotionally an adult is open to interpretation.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 03:49 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Please don't argue with the mods, DDM. And as BF told you, creating the thread gives you no power to set what is or is not off-topic. That is entirely up to the mods to decide- which is done precisely to stop the kind of kind of ridiculous shut down of reasonable points you are trying to engage in here- and you criticising others for being off-topic as you have tried to do so here is not allowed. BF is telling you that focus' take ob the subject is on-topic, and that is that. There is no need for any more discussion of this.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 03:54 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TobiasFumke
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thanks forum nazi but we can get along just fine without you derailing the threads.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 04:00 PM
TobiasFumke is currently offline Click here to Send TobiasFumke a Private Message Find more posts by TobiasFumke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
One is biologically an adult when they can reproduce their own species. In human terms one is legally an adult when they can engage in contract. When a human is emotionally an adult is open to interpretation.

I tend to agree with what you've stated, here. I see the concept of an "adult" to be much more nebulous than most people prefer. As I've stated, some people never reach a point, in their life, to where they can give informed concent in a semi-complex social contract. Still, others reach maturity much sooner than others and have the understanding and ability of even very capable adults.

There was someone like that on KMC a few years back. No way you could have guessed he was 14...trying to remember his name. Sure, a forum is not the best of ways to assess a persons social abilities, understanding, bla bla bla. But it can certainly give you an idea.

Last edited by dadudemon on Jul 16th, 2013 at 06:29 PM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 06:24 PM
NemeBro

Was it Sol Valentine?

/ is the only 14 year old I've ever known on KMC

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 06:37 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

What is an adult?
- Biologically/sexually mature body.
- Capable of formal operational thinking ("abstract"/"conceptual").
- Can delay gratification (put others' needs first).
- Can recognize that "results" matter, not making excuses, when it comes to meeting expectations. Ie, takes responsibility for one's own actions.
- Has perspective on one's own life, a "felt-sense" of one's own personal history.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 06:52 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote