KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Coca-Cola commercial sparks heated emotions

Coca-Cola commercial sparks heated emotions
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Coca-Cola commercial sparks heated emotions

See the commercial.

People are up in arms over a commercial for Coke where "America the Beautiful" is sung in various languages, representing the very multi-ethnic society of the United States.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Personally, it makes me want to kill stupid people. Last I recall, English isn't the only language used in America.

“Dreams shape the world."

Last edited by Impediment on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 09:54 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

No, America invented the English language.

But really, this has to be seen as a huge success for Coca Cola. An otherwise very mediocre and forgettable commercial is generating a ton of buzz and getting an absurd amount of attention for superficial reasons. Can't help but wonder if Coke did this intentionally knowing that it may generate some controversy.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:11 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Coca-Cola commercial sparks heated emotions

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment

People are up in arms over a commercial for Coke

Those people are idiots and should either kill or sterilize themselves.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:12 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

It was inevitable and predictable. My friends and I were discussing the obvious racist backlash during the airing of it.

But I'm kinda with Backfire. My initial reaction is to award Coke some personal bonus points in my book. But I also pointed out as it aired that Coke undoubtedly knew what they were getting into. Does that make them brave, or ruthlessly smart about their marketing?

The Chik-Fil-A homophobic scandal actually increased their sales. Was this a self-aware creation of a controversy, or an attempt at an actual beautiful statement? Or both? I can't be in the heads of the marketing execs, so my vote is uncast.

As for the racist asshats swearing off Coke, the best is to shame them (there are some tumblr channels doing a great job of collecting tweets and such), or ignore them. Whatever your preference. I don't mind letting them know there are public consequences for projecting hatred in public forums. But it's also not worth true outrage. Civilization marches on. They'll be a footnote, if that, decades and centuries from now.

Last edited by Digi on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:18 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

The environment is changing. Those organisms not adapting cry the loudest, knowing that extinction looms.

Muaah hah hahhh...

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:39 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Mindship
The environment is changing. Those organisms not adapting cry the loudest, knowing that extinction looms.

Muaah hah hahhh...

...and you got all of this from a Coke commercial? stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:43 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

lol

Mostly from the fear that followed.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:52 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

lol

Mostly from the fear that followed.

I want to check out the commercial when I get home, but I can't for the life of me imagine why someone singing a song in another language would be offensive.

If it is because they think English is the American language, then please show me the law.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:57 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Muaah hah hahhh...

Lol. But yeah, kinda.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I want to check out the commercial when I get home, but I can't for the life of me imagine why someone singing a song in another language would be offensive.

That's because you're not a sh*tty human being. Not everyone is so blessed, however.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:59 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Shakyamunison

If it is because they think English is the American language, then please show me the law.

Yea, that's pretty much what they're thinking IMO. That and latent(or not so latent) racism and/or xenophobia.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 12:08 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It's a nice commercial.

There is only one thing I can say about those people who are offended:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 12:31 AM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

I'm so glad I drink the chosen drink of the Aryan-American God-Fearing Folk Who Speak Only English.

Wait, no, that's the wrong image. I meant this:

People who are different scare me, but online I can express my inner bigotself and strike at their evil.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 12:47 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Ja wohl.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 01:00 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Yogurt flavoured Pepsi? I find that incredibly offensive and disgusting.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 01:20 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by Stealth Moose

Wait, no, that's the wrong image. I meant this:

Jokes aside, that actually looks like it might taste pretty good.
I imagine it would be like Squirt or Sprite in terms of flavor.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 01:57 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I think I need to have one now.

If anyones tried it tell us if its good or how it tastes.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 02:09 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Straight up looks like carbonated semen. I'll pass.

That explains the Japanese on the bottom though.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 02:18 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Nephthys
Yeah, I think I need to have one now.

If anyones tried it tell us if its good or how it tastes.

Originally posted by StyleTime
Straight up looks like carbonated semen. I'll pass.

That explains the Japanese on the bottom though.

Also, yogurt is evil personified.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 02:25 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

My extensive research tells me that its actually pretty decent. Not great, but neither meh. Just like white people. Not quite as cool as black people, but at least we're not Dutch.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 02:29 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Nephthys
My extensive research tells me that its actually pretty decent. Not great, but neither meh. Just like white people. Not quite as cool as black people, but at least we're not Dutch.

Them Dutch People.

Also, you just implied you lick white people, which I assume in England must be like a full-time job. The only thing paler than white people in Britain is the bones of dead white people in Britain.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2014 02:37 AM