KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » the free willy whale dies

the free willy whale dies
Started by: alic88

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
alic88
Barzakh

Warning the free willy whale dies

sad Keiko, the killer whale that starred in the film Free Willy, has died in Norway at the age of 27, 18 months after he was returned to the wild.
The six-ton whale apparently suffered a sudden bout of pneumonia in the fjord where he had been living.

Keiko was captured when two, but after the success of the film, he was freed from cramped conditions in Mexico City.

After his release into the wild in Iceland, Keiko swam to Norway, where he became a popular attraction.

Killer whales live an average of 35 years in the wild.

Sudden decline

Keiko became ill very quickly, according to Dane Richards who looked after the mammal.

"He exhibited some signs of lethargy and lack of appetite," Mr Richards told the Associated Press.

"We checked his respiration rate and it was a little irregular ... he wasn't doing too well. Early in the evening, he passed away," said Mr Richards.

"They really do die quickly and there was nothing we could do," said Nick Braden, a spokesman of the Humane Society of the United States.

Swimming to freedom

Keiko, whose name means "Lucky One" in Japanese, starred in three Free Willy films, in which a young boy befriends a killer whale and encourages him to jump over an aquarium wall to ocean freedom.

Captured near Iceland in 1979, Keiko ended up in a marine park in Mexico.

Inspired by the films, an international campaign began in 1993 to free Keiko and return him to the wild - the first orca whale to be freed in this way.

"We took him from near death in Mexico to swimming with wild whales in Norway," said David Phillips, executive director of the Free Willy-Keiko Foundation.

After being trained to catch fish, Keiko was released off Iceland in July 2002, and swam to Norway, where he became so popular that he was moved to a more remote fjord for his own comfort.

Mr Phillips said it had still not been decided whether he should be buried on land or at sea.

"My preference would be to bury him on land," he said.

"If you bury him on land we could still recover his skeleton and that might have some value in a museum or something, but that is still being worked out."

Old Post Dec 13th, 2003 03:30 PM
alic88 is currently offline Click here to Send alic88 a Private Message Find more posts by alic88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beaujay1
!

oh i just saw it too! terrible really

Old Post Dec 13th, 2003 08:10 PM
beaujay1 is currently offline Find more posts by beaujay1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

hey, thats pretty funny!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2003 08:12 PM
Neo_Version 7 is currently offline Click here to Send Neo_Version 7 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_Version 7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Dec 13th, 2003 08:30 PM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
namarie
**elvish **^-^

poor keiko

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 02:50 AM
namarie is currently offline Click here to Send namarie a Private Message Find more posts by namarie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cermiestar
kitten

keiko!!! :'(

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 11:04 AM
cermiestar is currently offline Click here to Send cermiestar a Private Message Find more posts by cermiestar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

No more Free Willy for awhile.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 08:16 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Sad but suddenly i, hungry for some fish, u think theyll send me a piece of Willy to cook?

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 08:26 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

ah well..............he did live to a good age and he was set in the ocean......so i guess its been a good run for him

they should leave his remains in the sea........keeping the skeleton is practically useless.............return him to nature's cycle.............ie fish, shark, and other organisms FOOD

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 08:55 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eat My Ass

hahah fatass whale

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17495261

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 05:03 AM
113 is currently offline Click here to Send 113 a Private Message Find more posts by 113 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

HAHA!!! stupid scientists.......

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 04:32 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

ha ha ha....poor whale....poor scientists

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 08:17 PM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Palaka
Guy in a Spider-Man suit

Can you believe they actually BURIED him?!

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 02:37 AM
Palaka is currently offline Click here to Send Palaka a Private Message Find more posts by Palaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

they did what?????......I amend....stupid scientists

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 02:54 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thorC

i reeally miss him. i saw his movie when i was a kid. i really really miss him. You know i caried when i 've read the news.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 03:46 PM
thorC is currently offline Click here to Send thorC a Private Message Find more posts by thorC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

really.....wow ...you must have really liked the movies.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 06:47 PM
mardook
Easier said than done!

Stupid whale... good for him. Demanding a big paycheck for FW 4 showed you didn't it???

laughing

I'm just kidding! Sorry to hear about Keiko. wink

Last edited by mardook on Dec 17th, 2003 at 03:09 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 02:51 PM
mardook is currently offline Click here to Send mardook a Private Message Find more posts by mardook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote