KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » What's up with Kung Fu movies?

What's up with Kung Fu movies?
Started by: Traydemark03

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Traydemark03

What's up with Kung Fu movies?

Nowadays, kung fu movies are really not creative. I swear, they're over using special effects...except for Hero, that was good.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 04:27 AM
Traydemark03 is currently offline Click here to Send Traydemark03 a Private Message Find more posts by Traydemark03 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

I'd like to see Hero. Almost did while it was at the cinema, but my friend didnt want to sad Got to rent that 1.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 07:01 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

I have it wink

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 07:03 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: What's up with Kung Fu movies?

quote:
Originally posted by Traydemark03
[B]Nowadays, kung fu movies are really not creative. I swear, they're over using special effects

You hit the bullseye, for example I'm disappointed with Jet Li in that movie "The one". If the Shaw brothers keep it old cinema kung fu flicks will always be safe. But with all the new PC effects Martial arts directors might get too tempted to use them.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 07:09 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Traydemark03

Yep. Old style is the best way to attract the foreign audience. Crouching tiger did really well and Hero was nominated for best foreign film...lost though...

They should hire Yuen Woo Ping more often...

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 09:20 PM
Traydemark03 is currently offline Click here to Send Traydemark03 a Private Message Find more posts by Traydemark03 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dagons Blade
I'll Take The Job

Has anyone here ever heard of the Shaw Brothers? The masters of old school martial mayhem that defined their films with spectacular choreography, and the ost outrageous costumes since the Batman TV series..and I mean that respectfully smile

In the mid 70's to the early 80's, their company broke new ground with a series of films, the most popular of them being "The Five Deadly Venoms." As well, all 5 of them men who played 'The Venoms" went on to star in over 20 films together, and while there were other great Shaw stable actors like Ti Lung, Alexander Fu Sheng, and David Chiang, "The Venoms" were a truly talented and gifted set of individuals who helped define the golden age of the martial art film.

Even Bruce Lee did some test footage for the Shaws, who sadly turned him down, only to regret that decision later, much as Hollywood did when they turned Bruce down for the Kung-Fu series, instead giving therole to David Carradine, one of the biggest asses I have ever met in person at a convention...anyway, anyone interested in "The Venoms" and what they started should like this link:

http://www.shawstudios.com/venoms.html

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 09:40 AM
Dagons Blade is currently offline Click here to Send Dagons Blade a Private Message Find more posts by Dagons Blade Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BakaXero
Free SUGAR!

Is hero the 1 with jet li
it really wasnt dat god
n does ne1 see somfing weird
hong kong movies r using more special effects
n america is using more hk style fight scenes
theyve swapped
Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 12:35 PM
BakaXero is currently offline Click here to Send BakaXero a Private Message Find more posts by BakaXero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thorC

@ dragon blade i've seen some of them when i was working for movie company. i think this kind of movies have only one plot, which is only skinny guy fights against a ton of bad guys especially drug dealers. it's kind of uniform. Jacky Chang also. i 've seen many Hong Kong mafia movie and Kung Fu too. as i said it's uniform movie. and it's easy to go.
like American cars chasing where are they now.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 03:27 PM
thorC is currently offline Click here to Send thorC a Private Message Find more posts by thorC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Traydemark03

Well it's better than a cowboy fighting against a ton of bad guys... I mean seriously... When 10 guys with oozis can't shoot 1 guy, it's ridiculous... I'd gladly watch a fight scene instead...

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 08:40 PM
MISSME

Agreeable!

Yes, I also would like a good "kung-fu" movie with lots of action.

Crouching Tiger & Hidden Dragon was excellent! Maybe the same actors can be used to produce another love story with lots of action.

Also, I will never forget the action stunt scenes where the actor and actress are using swords high up in the bamboo trees. That is a remarkable scene ...truely unforgetable.

How about a movie that applies to "news events" that are happening today or yesterday. Example, sending Jet-Lee into to Iraq to kick some butt. Or maybe in to Bosina to really kick some butt.

The action directors have lots of experience and all they need is encouragement from their fans.

Directors....keep up the good work on the next movie.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 10:26 PM
MISSME is currently offline Click here to Send MISSME a Private Message Find more posts by MISSME Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MISSME

Barf Von Damm

I liked "The Quest" movie with Von Damm!

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 10:27 PM
MISSME is currently offline Click here to Send MISSME a Private Message Find more posts by MISSME Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thorC

mmm actually i think C tiger H dragon is not a mainstream Kung Fu movie. you guys have to see Bruce Lee's movies or Shaw Brothers movie . that's real!. the Quest no i don't think so. it's just kicking movie movie that's all. wink wink

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 03:34 PM
thorC is currently offline Click here to Send thorC a Private Message Find more posts by thorC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Traydemark03

Yeah after bloodsport and kickboxer... Van Damme gets old...Crouching Tiger was mainstream but it didn't do as well there as it did here. The HK audience is/has been exposed to so many kung fu movies that it gets boring to them. Maybe that's why they're branching off to cg instead of old style choreography... I get tired of Shaw Bros. too.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 06:12 PM
MISSME

Smile Real Kung Fu movies

Who do you recommend for the lead role?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 11:15 PM
MISSME

Cool How about a Comedy Kung Fu movie

What about a Jackie Chan, Von Damm, and Jet Lee in the same movie?

There would be some serious Kung Fu and also a little humor!

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 11:17 PM
Dagons Blade
I'll Take The Job

quote:
Originally posted by thorC
mmm actually i think C tiger H dragon is not a mainstream Kung Fu movie. you guys have to see Bruce Lee's movies or Shaw Brothers movie . that's real!. the Quest no i don't think so. it's just kicking movie movie that's all. wink wink

More than anything else, the Shaw Brothers films had great choreography and none of that wire crap...they fought, and fought with an elegance and style not seen in today's action films, and the characcters were likable.

The Venoms were:
Kuo Chui (the most popular)
Sun Shien
Chiang Sheng (now deceased)
Lo Mang (the body on this guy was increbible...)
Lu Feng

A sixth actor, Wei Pai, played a Venom only once (the Snake) and he is nowhere to be seen now.

Some of the better Shaw Brothers films were:

Kid With The Golden Arm
Avenging Eagle
Ten Tigers From Kwangtung
5 Deadly Venoms and Return Of The Five Deadly Venoms
Flag Of Iron
Masked Avengers
Killer Army
Shaolin Rescuers
The Chinatown Kid.....

.....and I could go on but that's a starter list. Again, anyone seriously inot old school martial mayhem, do NOT overlook the Sahw Brothers films!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 06:51 AM
Dagons Blade is currently offline Click here to Send Dagons Blade a Private Message Find more posts by Dagons Blade Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BakaXero
Free SUGAR!

i loved the bruce lee movie.
pity he died before finishing "the game of death".
but hollywood should never tried to finish it.
they ruined his vision
and create a piece of C***.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 12:52 PM
BakaXero is currently offline Click here to Send BakaXero a Private Message Find more posts by BakaXero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by Dagons Blade
More than anything else, the Shaw Brothers films had great choreography and none of that wire crap...they fought, and fought with an elegance and style not seen in today's action films, and the characcters were likable.

The Venoms were:
Kuo Chui (the most popular)
Sun Shien
Chiang Sheng (now deceased)
Lo Mang (the body on this guy was increbible...)
Lu Feng

I haven't seen the 5 deadly venoms in a loooong time. But you just gave me some flashbacks of the characters I think it goes something like this:Kuo Chiu (Lizard),Chiang Sheng (The young Student) ,Lu Feng (Centipede) Lo Mang (Toad), Sun Chien (Scorpion), Wei Pei (Snake). The Shaw brothers are the masters of Hong Kong martial arts, I not sure but most of their movies were made in Mandarin and translated to Cantonese. Anyways their classics are to find nowadays so thats why not many people know about them but still, they are awesome with their work
smile

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 03:55 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Traydemark03

I think Jackie Chan and Jet Li would clash...but hey...you never know...

Shaolin soccer was a funny kung fu movie...It wasn't really kung fu though (no fighting) but it was still hilarious. CG worked well for that movie

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 09:33 PM
thorC

i dont think Jacky and Jet would clash in a film . coz Jacky can play comedy but Jet don't. you see you can smile throghout Jacky movie but for Jet, no i don't know. i think it's going be Jet's hard time in Hollywood.and many Hk stars too.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2004 12:43 AM