KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » If Movie Tickets cost the same as a new release DVD...

Movie Tickets vs DVD
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
I don't mind Paying for a movie Ticket. 4 30.77%
Movie Tickets are becoming expensive. 7 53.85%
Go to the cheap movie theaters..were they sell old popcorn and terrible audio. 1 7.69%
I'm not a cheap bastard when it comes to Entertainment. 1 7.69%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

If Movie Tickets cost the same as a new release DVD...
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Question If Movie Tickets cost the same as a new release DVD...

...would you still go to movie theaters?

For me nothing tops the movie going experience....however, $10.00 a ticket is bit too stiff....Movie Studios and chain movie theaters want to fight piracy...then start by lowering the price tickets.

Anywhoo....your thoughts...

(this thread is regarding new release DVD's in stores NOT bootlegs DVD movies)

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Apr 17th, 2007 at 09:24 PM

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 09:19 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i'd the big budget films that really need the big screen and top sound to bring them to life are worth the trip to the cinema...its perhaps something that cinemas and studios should think about when putting out new films...some kind of structured pricing system based on the cost of the movie and whether it will have the full benefit of the big screen

for instance i went to the cinema to see 21 grams and there wasn't really a call for it to be on the big screen...yet it was the same price as the matrix sequels and the lord of the rings films...which need to be seen on the big screen to be achieved

the film which i thought had the biggest loss of quality from the big screen to the small screen was superman returns...small details such as the ripple moving up the side of the plane when he stops it hitting the ground just weren't all that visible on the small screen

so on those kind of terms i dont mind paying the £5.50 to get into the good seats at my local cinema

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 09:40 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

It costs more or less the same for me to buy a dvd than go see it at the cinema now anyway. Costs about £5-6 to get a bus ticket to the cinema, then another £6-7 for the cinema ticket. I can get most new releases for the same price or lower online. Even get some dvds on a different region that are not out at the cinemas here in the UK yet.

I hardly go to the cinema anymore, it is nearly always spoilt by some morons in the audience and that really spoils my experience.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 10:33 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I only pay $5.75, $6.25 tops. DVD's are a waste of money to me nowadays.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 10:35 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

I dont think piracy hurts theaters much, anything I actually wanted to see id go see not download. And for the right type of movie i dont mind the price (of the movie, the snacks are an outrage).

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 10:37 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MildPossession

I hardly go to the cinema anymore, it is nearly always spoilt by some morons in the audience and that really spoils my experience.

i hate that...best way to avoid it is go near the end of the films run when its practically empty...or at an obscure time of the day

helps avoid the arseholes

although saying that...when i went to see 300 i was with a group of friends and the mobile phone of the girl sat next to me went off and when she took it out her bag and shut it off i said "you're gettin' a ****in' beatin' outside" and loads of people burst out laughing.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 10:44 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by jaden101
i hate that...best way to avoid it is go near the end of the films run when its practically empty...or at an obscure time of the day

helps avoid the arseholes

although saying that...when i went to see 300 i was with a group of friends and the mobile phone of the girl sat next to me went off and when she took it out her bag and shut it off i said "you're gettin' a ****in' beatin' outside" and loads of people burst out laughing.

At least she turned it off instead of just answering it.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 10:47 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I think movie tickets are to expensive as is. I usually only go to see movies in the theater that I REALLY want to see, even some of those I pass up and wait for the DVD release.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 10:59 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Perhaps it's just me, in that I don't notice these things, but I don't think I've had a single theater experience ruined/harmed by a loud or distractive person in the audience. I hear people all the time complaining about their time ruined, but I've never really been bothered in the same way. Guess I'm lucky.

That being said, I don't go to the movies all that much. For big movies, or movies I really want to see, I will. Beyond that, not really.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 11:21 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

If they would reduce the price of Movie tickets then maybe I would buy a larger bag of pop-corn.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 11:27 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

If the prices become the same, I'd go to the theater a lot less often. I'd only go for movies I'm really eager to see, the few there would be.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 11:58 PM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i was thinking that if i avoided going to the movies for a entire year. I would have enough money to buy a very decent lcd flat screen and a great sound system. As appealing as that thought is, it is still more appealing to watch a really good movie in the theater. Even though ninety percent of the movies i end up going to see are decent at best. I complain for having to pay $12 plus popcorn and drink prices everytime i go, but i guess i would complain more if there were no movie theaters at all

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 02:16 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Tickets are only $6.50 where I live, I consider myself lucky

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 02:59 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Strangelove
Tickets are only $6.50 where I live, I consider myself lucky

bastard.

there are theaters where i can go and only pay $5, but they are the most depressing theaters. I go there for movies like ninja turtles and hills have eyes2...yeah i paid to see hillas have eyes 2 embarrasment

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 03:01 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Like Jaden said, some movies deserve to be watched on the big screen, and are worth the price. A recent example is 300.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 04:00 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

i just use an old college ID get matinee prices any time of day.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 06:04 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Originally posted by Cory Chaos
DVD's are a waste of money to me nowadays.

Why?

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 06:10 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well on top of the movie ticket, if I were to get the popcorn I like and a decent size soft drink, I would end up paying another £6...

The art house cinema near me is cheap though, but it's moved to a different place for a while and I really can't be arsed to get a number of buses to get to it. So have to wait till it's back in the original building.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 11:47 AM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

**** no I wouldn't go to the movies if they were as much as a new release DVD. Well, maybe I would, but only to the matinees, but even than the chances of me going would be slim.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 03:58 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
History Buff

Originally posted by MildPossession
It costs more or less the same for me to buy a dvd than go see it at the cinema now anyway. Costs about £5-6 to get a bus ticket to the cinema, then another £6-7 for the cinema ticket. I can get most new releases for the same price or lower online. Even get some dvds on a different region that are not out at the cinemas here in the UK yet.

You guys havethat problem over in England?? I thought we only had that problem here inthe states. smile embarrasment

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 06:23 PM
History Buff is currently offline Click here to Send History Buff a Private Message Find more posts by History Buff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote