KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Zombie's Halloween....,your reviews

Zombie's Halloween....,your reviews
Started by: ragesRemorse

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinXed by JaNx

Zombie's Halloween....,your reviews

I just watched the new Halloween online. I must admit that i was very skeptical towards this movie, even given Zombie's track record as a director. I must say, however, i was surprisingly fulfilled as i believe most horror and Halloween fans alike will be. The remake focused more on Myers himself and the phsychology that drove him to murderous tendancies, rather than the babysitter. Infact the first half of the film is dedicated to Myers childhood and establishing his character. I think this was a great direction to take. I believe this aspect of the film will win over the hearts of the Halloween fans. Although Zombie's direction and vision is realized in a vivid and realistic manner, the second half of the film feels out of place.
Zombie did a great job in un filtering the brutality in the beginning murder scenes, so much so, that the first half of the film feels like a bigraphical study of a serial killer. I think this is what hurts the second half of the move. When Myers begins his rampage over Haddenfiled, the movie takes on that traditional slasher atmosphere. This isnt a bad thing it just seems inconsistant with the fisrt half of the movie. I wodner if this was deliberate decision on Zombie's part.
Over all The movie is very enetertaining, and most of the film is very well made. I do, howver, have quarrels with the last twenty minutes. As far as comparing the two, this is all but impossible. They are two very different styles. Where Carpenter created suspense from impending doom, Zombie creates tension in the midst of occuring doom. carpenters is much more suspensfull and holds a more seamless direction for the story. Zombie brings realism, history, and brutatlity to the table though. I heard a review tag line on TV saying that this is a great campion piece to the original. I beleive that is the best description for this rendition.

I give the flick 7/10 as a horror movie
9/10 as a zombie movie

so lets hear it, what did you all think?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 04:04 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

Think I made the same mistake here....this should be shifted to the horror forum.

There is a good long thread about the new Halloweeen on there. Cheers

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 04:49 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

well its the movie review section and this section is to review movies so I think it will be okay for it to be here even though there is a horror section.anyways,cant wait to see this movie after that horrific and inexcusable Halloween Resurrection.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 09:40 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

just saw the movie last night and i was dissapointed with it.thought it could have been much better.just like the other halloween movies,they never explained WHY he cant be killed which they always gave an explanation for in the original book.Plus I thought we would see more of the things that went on at the sanitarium while he was growing up there like in the book it talked about how the other patient kids there became afraid of him over the years and stuff like that.this being a remake that was going to be focusing on his childhood there,I wanted to see all that so it was dissapointing in that way and it all felt too rushed.Like I said, they could have done better showing more stuff while he was growing up at the hospital and like in the book,they mentioned that the orderly let the patients out because michael wanted it and they were afriad of him so they did what he wanted.they should have shown those kinds of things and again,we STILL dont know why as a viewer,why he cant be killed either.the orignal halloween later on added backstory for a tv release and they showed Pleasance talking to him as a little kid saying things like-you got them all fooled dont you michael? well you got them fooled but you dont have me fooled.they should have showed those things as well.

I agree with you that the second half of the film is inconsistant with the first half and thats what hurt it.still at least it was better than that crapfest Halloween Resurrection.Myself,I would give it a 6 out of 10.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Sep 1st, 2007 at 07:40 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2007 07:37 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Just saw Holloween. I liked it.. I wonder where in the saga does this film take place..and did he get killed off or not..

While in the theatres, I had my own ideas on how Myers killing tactics should've, more creatively, went but everyone has their own vision just like Rob Zombie does.

Kinda reminded me of the Anakin Skywalker story a bit..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 1st, 2007 08:02 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 1st, 2007 09:01 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

How many f*cking times are people going to make this thread whilst we have one in the Goddamn Horror movie section?

"It wasn't even about the eggs. Quite frankly I like the eggs, I don't have no...problem with...It's just there's always been a lot of tension between me & Lois. It's not so much as I want to kill her...I just want her...to not be...alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult. Then I think to myself, wouldn't it be MARVELOUS if I turned out to be a homosexual?"

Old Post Sep 1st, 2007 11:42 PM
Kal-El_08 is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El_08 a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El_08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mirai Gohan
How many f*cking times are people going to make this thread whilst we have one in the Goddamn Horror movie section?

didnt see a review thread in the horror section. go break some one elses balls.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2007 08:00 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Break these nuts nigga.

"It wasn't even about the eggs. Quite frankly I like the eggs, I don't have no...problem with...It's just there's always been a lot of tension between me & Lois. It's not so much as I want to kill her...I just want her...to not be...alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult. Then I think to myself, wouldn't it be MARVELOUS if I turned out to be a homosexual?"

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2007 08:21 AM
Kal-El_08 is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El_08 a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El_08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Mirai Gohan, don't be a thread Nazi.

I'll move/merge/whatever this tomorrow.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2007 08:57 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Mirai Gohan

never. big grin

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2007 09:52 PM
jinXed by JaNx

still didnt find a halloween movie review thread in the horror section sad

Old Post Sep 7th, 2007 03:20 AM
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
still didnt find a halloween movie review thread in the horror section sad

Look here.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 7th, 2007 04:29 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The thread title was a bit confusing, went ahead and made it more clear.

Anyways, closing.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2007 05:41 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote