KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Spaghetti Western

The Spaghetti Western
Started by: Remindme

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
EvilAngel
Over the hills

The Spaghetti Western

3 films that are all in my All time favourite films list (not huge), and home to some of my favourite Movie quotes of all time.

These films were also the direct inspiration of Quentin Tarantino as said so by the man himself. These films also rewrote the ideal of a western film, rewrote the ideal of a whole genre of film.

They are also proof that you don't need an complex plot and loads of action scenes in a movie to make it a legend (Besides, I dare you to tell me a scene in a recent action film that's more intense and exciting than the duel at the end of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, I Dare you). I think the reason that Sergio Leone (Director) was able to make these masterpieces was because he could really build up the characters, and how they were and how they did things making the film more intense and like able.

The music also, is just perfect for the films.

Bought the Spaghetti Western set on Saturday, today i watched all 3 in a row (beware of a numb backside) And just Wow, that's why I'm all hyper about them now.

Here's a curious little question though, The character played by Clint Eastwood, is he the same character in any/all of them?

Bear in mind Gian Maria Volontč plays in both, Ramón Rojo in A Fist Full Of Dollars as well as El Indio in A Few Dollars more, and Benito Stefanelli is in all 3. So just because they are played by the same Actor and look the same doesn't mean they are mean to be the same character.

Personal Favourite Lines / Quotes:

Man With No Name : Get three coffins ready.
[Having said "get three coffins ready" earlier ]
Man With No Name : My mistake. Four coffins...

Man With No Name : I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wild, The Hunchback : Well well, if it isn't the smoker. Well... Remember me, amigo?
Col. Douglas Mortimer : M-Mm.
Wild, The Hunchback : 'Course you do. El Paso.
Col. Douglas Mortimer : It's a small world.
Wild, The Hunchback : Yes, and very, very bad. Now come on, you light another match.
Col. Douglas Mortimer : I generally smoke just after I eat. Why don't you come back in about ten minutes?
Wild, The Hunchback : Ten minutes you'll be smoking in hell. *Get up!*

Man With No Name : [counting reward sums of outlaws he just killed ] Ten thousand... twelve thousand... fifteen... sixteen... seventeen... twenty-two. Twenty-two?
[a cowboy comes from behind, "Man With No Name" turns and shoots him dead ]
Man With No Name : ...Twenty-seven.
Col. Douglas Mortimer : Any trouble, boy?
Man With No Name : No, old man. Thought I was having trouble with my adding. It's all right now.

Tuco : [trying to read a note ] "See you soon, id...” "id...” "ids...”
Man With No Name : [taking the note ] "Idiots". It's for you.

Bounty Hunter #2 : [three bounty hunters have cornered Tuco] No! No pistol, amigo!
Mexican Bounty Hunter : [holding a wanted poster] Hey, amigo! You know you have a face beautiful enough to be worth $2000?
Man With No Name : [from behind them ] Yeah, but you don't look like the one who's going to collect it.
[Lights a cigar ]
Man With No Name : [ Couple of steps back. ]
[ the bounty hunters draw their guns but the Man With No Name guns down all three ]

Last edited by EvilAngel on Dec 5th, 2007 at 03:47 AM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 03:41 AM
EvilAngel is currently offline Click here to Send EvilAngel a Private Message Find more posts by EvilAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Is it the same character?
In the "Dollars" Trilogy, Eastwood plays a character with the same mannerisms, wearing the same poncho, lambskin vest and hat, and sporting a silver rattlesnake-shaped plate on the handle of his gun. The question whether the intention was to portray the same individual character in all three films is debatable, but many fans believe that the last film in the trilogy, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a prequel of sorts to the earlier two,[citation needed] since it is set during the American Civil War and before the period thought of as the "Wild West.' Furthermore, Eastwood's character gradually acquires the clothing that he wears throughout the other films in the series, getting his hat, vest and other clothing from the assassin "Angel-Eyes" and taking his signature serape from an anonymous, dying soldier, in exchange for his duster. It can also be noted that the actor portraying the undertaker from the first film shows up in the second as someone Eastwood's character is familiar with. Whether this points to the old man playing the same person or not is unknown as many of the same actors played roles in the three films of characters who were obviously unrelated (such as Lee Van Cleef, who appeared in both For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as different characters). An expanded version of the movie soundtrack from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly released in 2004 featured a previously unreleased piece titled Il Bandito Monco, i.e. the "The Bandit Monco" (Monco is the nickname of Eastwood's character in the preceding movie and means "one handed" in Italian), lending support to the theory that Eastwood is intended to portray the same character in the three movies.[1] Another interesting note is that towards the end of the first film, one of The Man With No Name's hands is badly injured in a torture scene, and is never shown to totally heal: this might be a connection to the second movie, in most of which he uses only one hand, the other one being saved for shooting only. However, Christopher Frayling has pointed out in his Leone biography, Sergio Leone: Something To Do With Death, that the three films were not intended by Leone or his various script collaborators to be seen as a history of the exact same individual and that it was United Artists, not the filmmakers, who came up with the idea of specifically linking the three films together as a series by referring to the Eastwood character as The Man With No Name in all advertising materials for the movies.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_with_No_Name

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 07:55 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

In A Fistful of Dollars he goes by the name of Joe.

In For a Few Dollars More his name is Monco.

In The Good, the Bad and the Ugly he is known as Blondie.

The speculation is this....Does the character goes by different allias names in each film?

Plausible.

If we go by a timeline of events. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly happen first...then Fistful of Dollars was next...and it all culminates in For a Few Dollars More.

The injuries to Blondie were much more severe than that of Joe. The sunburn to the face left a noticeble mark. Even if they heal later.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 04:44 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mark Question
Lurker

Ordered "Four of the Apocalypse" from amazon, heard it's awesomely violent.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 08:01 PM
Mark Question is currently offline Click here to Send Mark Question a Private Message Find more posts by Mark Question Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilAngel
Over the hills

Amazlingly violent? the spaghetti western? In it's day (the 60's) i bet it was but compared to todays standards it's nothing over the top.

Ennio Morricone some of the best music from the films

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 08:45 PM
EvilAngel is currently offline Click here to Send EvilAngel a Private Message Find more posts by EvilAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mark Question
Lurker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Remindme
Amazlingly violent? the spaghetti western? In it's day (the 60's) i bet it was but compared to todays standards it's nothing over the top.

Ennio Morricone some of the best music from the films

It released in 75. In regard to westerns of that era it was considered very violent by comparison.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 09:12 PM
Mark Question is currently offline Click here to Send Mark Question a Private Message Find more posts by Mark Question Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Mark Question
Ordered "Four of the Apocalypse" from amazon, heard it's awesomely violent.

Fulci's spaghetti westerns are always good (in the genre) Try Massacre Time it's campy but fun.

If you want a real bloody spaghetti western look for "Blindman".

Old Post Dec 6th, 2007 10:45 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mark Question
Lurker

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Fulci's spaghetti westerns are always good (in the genre) Try Massacre Time it's campy but fun.

If you want a real bloody spaghetti western look for "Blindman".

Will do.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2007 10:46 PM
Count Makashi
Count Dookus number 1 fan

Spaghetti westerns are great, the Dollar trilogy is awesome and the best Spaghetti western is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the final duel is breathtaking.

General G made this sig, but i am going to keep annoying him.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2007 06:17 PM
Count Makashi is currently offline Click here to Send Count Makashi a Private Message Find more posts by Count Makashi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote