KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Tropic Thunder

Tropic Thunder
Started by: exanda kane

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
exanda kane

Warning Tropic Thunder

This could be brilliant!

I have only just heard about this, but Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Nick Nolte and Robert Downey Jr. (as a black guy) are all in it, in a story where the shooting of a 'Nam movie gets a little shaken and the director simply leaves his cast on location, in Vietnam.

Although I still have reservations in Jack Black, the concept is a great one and Downey Jr. playing a black soldier is walking a thin, yet potentially hilarious line. Again, it's a great concept, but even great concepts turn out poor, a la Be Kind Rewind, so I am simply hoping.

EMPIRE: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22137
IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 06:55 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I try very hard to steer clear of any Jack Black movie.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 07:06 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Jack Black. Ben Stiller. Griffith Jr. Shit blows up.

That's enough reason for me to rush to the theater. I'm there.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 08:48 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amlap
this guy

etan cohen... is enough for me. just hope that he caught enough of mike judges talent and helps make another fantasticlly funny movie.

also downey jr. playing a black guy?.... sounds like shear gold to me!

NUFF SAID!

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 09:57 PM
amlap is currently offline Click here to Send amlap a Private Message Find more posts by amlap Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FlappingMangera
flapper of the mangera

This looks like the greatest Stiller comedy since Zoolander. I don't think it will disappoint either: I can't remember the last time there was such a diverse and talented cast on an absurd comedy like this, and there are actually some great actors involved, like Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise (lol!). High caliber actors like them wouldn't sign on unless the script was top-notch, so I'm betting this will be a huge hit this summer. I'm definitely going to check it out.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2008 06:18 PM
FlappingMangera is currently offline Click here to Send FlappingMangera a Private Message Find more posts by FlappingMangera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Mar 12th, 2008 02:05 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
regina414

I have seen a picture of the black Robert Downey, Jr.
Cool makeup!

Old Post Mar 12th, 2008 02:21 PM
regina414 is currently offline Click here to Send regina414 a Private Message Find more posts by regina414 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 12:14 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FlappingMangera
flapper of the mangera

Felt like bumping this since we're getting close and a bunch of stuff has been released since March:

Red band trailer *possibly offensive*

MTV Movie Awards Viral Video

I was already sold, but the red band trailer is even more amazing, and I think the cast is going to have great chemistry.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2008 07:44 PM
FlappingMangera is currently offline Click here to Send FlappingMangera a Private Message Find more posts by FlappingMangera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

This looks very funny.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 1st, 2008 10:31 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
I try very hard to steer clear of any Jack Black movie.

King Kong was a good movie. And Jack Black isn't the only lead in this one.

Originally posted by amlap

also downey jr. playing a black guy?.... sounds like shear gold to me!

Really? I thought blackface died decades ago. I just hope this movie doesn't show Downey slapping his knee while a white guy is playing a banjo.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2008 10:39 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
[i]Really? I thought blackface died decades ago. I just hope this movie doesn't show Downey slapping his knee while a white guy is playing a banjo.

I believe the premise of the character is that he believes an actor should embrace a role to the point that they literally become the roll, similar to Stanislavsky's views. So Downey's character gets a medical procedure to literally become the negro character he is portraying.

Seems like a "LoL" to me.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 1st, 2008 11:12 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ariwin

Originally posted by Robtard
I believe the premise of the character is that he believes an actor should embrace a role to the point that they literally become the roll, similar to Stanislavsky's views. So Downey's character gets a medical procedure to literally become the negro character he is portraying.

Seems like a "LoL" to me.

Yeah, definitely, that's the impression that I get. It isn't a black face situation -- the mockery of Hollywood and of actors and "method" acting is waaay higher than any racial mockery going on. The fact that they're aware of it in the movie and make fun of it shows that they know what they're doing and it isn't meant to be offensive. (They have another of the actor/soldiers, who is genuinely black, annoyed at Downey Jr. Downey's character, the actor who got the procedure, is being ridiculous and stereotypical... and the movie and everyone else in it are aware of it.

Anyway... down off my soap box... I cannot WAIT to see this movie. I think it's going to be absolutely hilarious!

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2008 03:54 PM
ariwin is currently offline Click here to Send ariwin a Private Message Find more posts by ariwin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I was really looking forward to this film...but now that I seen the trailer...I have mixed feelings.

It's practically Three Amigo's in Vietnam. I was hoping this would be more a satire/spoof on Vietnam war movies from the late 70s and 80s. So I'll just wait for reviews before spending my money on a movie ticket.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2008 11:24 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I saw the trailer before TDK, it looks good. I'm just hoping that Jack Black won't spoil it by just acting as himself (again), I wouldn't mind it if he wasn't ridiculously annoying.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Aug 6th, 2008 11:46 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I saw this earlier tonight. Very funny.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 05:05 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Dormouse
Giant Squid

This looks like it could be funny. Robert Downey Jr looks like he won't disappoint. I plan on seeing this for $2 or less.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2008 06:50 AM
The_Dormouse is currently offline Click here to Send The_Dormouse a Private Message Find more posts by The_Dormouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Theres an article on CNN in which some groups want people to boycott the movie. That just makes me want to watch it even more.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Mov...t.ap/index.html

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 03:28 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh because of the word retard right?

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 04:13 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Yeah. Idk why, people should be used to Ben Stiller's type of comedy by now. Its not the first time he has retarted characters in his movies. Hell, Zoolander was a damn retarted character.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 04:29 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote