KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Into The Wild

Into The Wild
Started by: =Tired Hiker=

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Into The Wild

I just watched this movie last night. Sean Penn wrote and directed it, I guess it's based on a book that was based on a news article about a man named Christopher McCandless.

Heres the jist of who he was, I copy pasted this off Wikipedia; why re-invent the wheel?:

Chris McCandless grew up in Annandale, Virginia, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: and died at age 24 in a wilderness area of the state of Alaska. After graduating in 1990 from Emory University, McCandless ceased communicating with his family, gave away his savings of $24,000 to OXFAM and began traveling, later abandoning his car and burning all the money in his wallet.

In April 1992, Jim Gallien, an Alaskan, gave McCandless a ride to the Stampede Trail in Alaska. There McCandless headed down the snow-covered trail to begin an odyssey with only fifteen pounds of rice, a .22 caliber rifle, a camera, several boxes of rifle rounds, some camping gear, and a small selection of literature—including a field guide to the region's edible plants, Tana'ina Plantlore. He took no map or compass. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: He died some time in August, and his decomposed body was found in early September by moose hunters.

I loved this movie, every moment of it. (this is me talking now; Tired Hiker) It can be compared to 'Easy Rider', as far as it's tone goes, minus all the drug influeces. The heart of the movie lies in Chris's (Emile Hirsch) journey to find real happiness which he discovers [SPOILER - highlight to read]: to late in the game that, real happiness can only be shared. The film is not depressing, it is a celebration of life. Sean Penn did a great job directing this film, making it feel more like a documented account of someone's life rather than a Hollywood re-creation. I haven't seen a movie with this much heart in a long time.

I think I also liked this movie because it reminded me of the times when I back packed into the wild myself. I did not isolate myself in the Alaskan Wilderness to the degree that Chris McCandless did, but I did journey parts of Alaska with friends, and I did go on a journey by myself in the Big Sur wilderness where I camped in a rain storm, and isolated myself in my tent with a good book until three in the morning when I skinny dipped in a hot spring. It was one of the most exhilirating times I ever had, and the freedom I enjoyed gave me a better sense of who I am and what is important in life. Into The Wild made me feel like I was back on that journey.

This movie is now on DVD.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2008 10:52 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah, this movie was very good. Emile should have gone up for an Oscar, I think.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2008 10:53 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah, this movie was very good. Emile should have gone up for an Oscar, I think.

I think you are right. I also thought the editing was great and deserved an Oscar nod as well. And Eddie Vedder's original songs were perfect for the film.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2008 10:56 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Into The Wild

I wanted to watch this in the threatres, but it left before I could. Does look like a good film, so I'll definately rent it.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Trials of the human spirit blah, blah blah aside, the guy is a moron though, he goes into an extremely hostile enviroment with little or no training or supplies.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 10th, 2008 11:16 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

I used to make a living as a guide in Canada's Northwest territories, and McCandless' name came up in more than one conversation, and without fail the mere mentioning of his name garnered hostility.

McCandless was a naive, if not stupid, if not completely insane person who had no concept of the wild, and no real respect for it either.

I used him as an example to many that I guided that many deaths that occur in the wild due to arrogance, stupidity, or willful ignorance, of which he was a prime example.

Krakaur's book was a compelling read, and I might see this movie, but if it at all glorifies him and his naive attempts to telive London's stories, then I'll just take a pass.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2008 11:46 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

He is very naive, but that's not what the film is about. It was his own journey, and yes, he did some extremely stupid things, but he learned from them and the film shows how he deals with his mistakes like when he totally destroys a perfectly healthy moose. It is such a waste, he kills it and then takes too long curing the meat and it goes bad with flys and maggots. The lesson of the film, as he discovers, it that real happiness is shared. And he learns that lesson too late, so you are right about his ignorance, but he still had a zest for life that can be appreciated. I wouldn't say that the film glorifies him. I think that once you see what his situation was like growing up and you learn a bit about his back story, it would help you understand where he is coming from.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2008 04:45 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Re: Into The Wild

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=

I think I also liked this movie because it reminded me of the times when I back packed into the wild myself. I did not isolate myself in the Alaskan Wilderness to the degree that Chris McCandless did, but I did journey parts of Alaska with friends, and I did go on a journey by myself in the Big Sur wilderness where I camped in a rain storm, and isolated myself in my tent with a good book until three in the morning when I skinny dipped in a hot spring. It was one of the most exhilirating times I ever had, and the freedom I enjoyed gave me a better sense of who I am and what is important in life. Into The Wild made me feel like I was back on that journey.

This movie is now on DVD.

thats interesting...,what did you learn about yourself?

Old Post Mar 14th, 2008 09:18 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
regina414

Christopher McCandless is such a brave man, or do you think he's insane for doing that?

Old Post Mar 14th, 2008 02:25 PM
regina414 is currently offline Click here to Send regina414 a Private Message Find more posts by regina414 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Re: Re: Into The Wild

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
thats interesting...,what did you learn about yourself?

For me personally, I had many fears about backpacking. Will I get attacked by a bear? Will I get lonely? Will I get hurt? Will I have enough food? Will my camp stove break? Will there be wood for fire? Will it rain? Will I freeze to death. Will I get lost . . . . ?

After backpacking alone and not encountering any of these problems, I showed myself first hand that I could get out there and do it on my own. I prepared myself for the journey, studied maps, learned about not attracting bears, etc; so with common sense and logic I learned that my fears were really not as threatening to my life as I thought they might be. I also grew up in a big city, so being out in nature made me feel more in tune with the Earth. Sitting in a natural hot spring at three in the morning by myself, with nothing above me but tree tops, the moon, and the stars, as a rushing river flowed downhill from me was as close to magic as I had ever come. Now that I have done it, I know it's out there and I can go back to it. It comforts me to know that.

So to sum it up, I learned I could journey into the unknown with only myself to guide me through it. And that has applied to many other aspects of my life.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2008 08:45 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Re: Re: Re: Into The Wild

For me personally, I had many fears about backpacking. Will I get attacked by a bear? Will I get lonely? Will I get hurt? Will I have enough food? Will my camp stove break? Will there be wood for fire? Will it rain? Will I freeze to death. Will I get lost . . . . ?

After backpacking alone and not encountering any of these problems, I showed myself first hand that I could get out there and do it on my own. I prepared myself for the journey, studied maps, learned about not attracting bears, etc; so with common sense and logic I learned that my fears were really not as threatening to my life as I thought they might be. I also grew up in a big city, so being out in nature made me feel more in tune with the Earth. Sitting in a natural hot spring at three in the morning by myself, with nothing above me but tree tops, the moon, and the stars, as a rushing river flowed downhill from me was as close to magic as I had ever come. Now that I have done it, I know it's out there and I can go back to it. It comforts me to know that.

So to sum it up, I learned I could journey into the unknown with only myself to guide me through it. And that has applied to many other aspects of my life.

Wow, i appreciate you for sharing your experience. That, was quite a vivid description and actually filled me with some inspiration. I have been planning to back pack along the Mediterranean coast. I am not sure if i will be able to find a friend to join me, but i have decided that i am going to take that trip regardless. I have, recently, grown cold feet over the idea about doing it alone, but i think i am definitely going through with it either way.
Where at, in Alaska, was this?

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 06:33 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

The Alaska trip was with friends, we spent a week hiking through several zones in Denali. But the trip I spoke of where I went by myself was in Big Sur, California. That is where the hot spring is. It's an amazing place.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 07:28 PM
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

Didn't like it. It was too long and droned on and kept skipping back and forth too much.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2008 03:52 AM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Didn't like it. It was too long and droned on and kept skipping back and forth too much.
Well, quit scratching your DVDs.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2008 11:49 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: Re: Into The Wild

What about rape?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 1st, 2008 12:00 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Into The Wild

Originally posted by Robtard
What about rape?
Mmmmmmmm . . . . . no thanks.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 11:00 PM
angelamia

Originally posted by KharmaDog
McCandless was a naive, if not stupid, if not completely insane person who had no concept of the wild, and no real respect for it either.

My take on it is that he wanted to challenge himself to see if he could do it. When he was ready to leave he was trapped there. I'm not sure why that is stupid.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2008 04:58 PM
angelamia is currently offline Click here to Send angelamia a Private Message Find more posts by angelamia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Originally posted by Kelly_Bean

I didn't like it either, overall, but not for that reason. I personally got pissed off with him for coming across as a pretentious, naive brat. The back and forthing I did appreciate smile

Oh, and I couldn't stand Jena Malone as his sister. Her voice irritated me and as the majority of the narrative (if not all) was her, it kinda put me off.

It's a shame because the concept and directing was good.

ThorinWoofer

Last edited by Syren on Apr 13th, 2008 at 08:01 PM

Old Post Apr 13th, 2008 07:59 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have the movie sitting here and going to watch it tonight. It looks really good.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 12:33 AM
deathbycorn is currently offline Click here to Send deathbycorn a Private Message Find more posts by deathbycorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

The ending you could see coming but it was still a beautiful film.

Emile does deserve an oscar for that role.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 09:15 PM
deathbycorn is currently offline Click here to Send deathbycorn a Private Message Find more posts by deathbycorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well most know what happened to him so obvious what was coming. I enjoyed the film and it's gorgeous to look at, wonderfully shot.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2008 05:15 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote