KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Reviews...

Movie Reviews...
Started by: deathbucket

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
deathbucket
Oddball Odd

Movie Reviews...

does anyone actually read them? I used to read a few different critics, like Peter Travers, but lately I've been relying more on recommendations from forums and blogs and what-not -- there seems to be a real shortage of good movie writing. but then again I haven't really been looking.

Are there any sites that people actually read regularly? Does anyone here *write* movie reviews, for that matter?...

La Paila de Muerte has spoken

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 06:22 PM
deathbucket is currently offline Click here to Send deathbucket a Private Message Find more posts by deathbucket Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sight & Sound - Very good film review writing magazine, well here in the UK anyway. Always buy it.

I read most reviews in magazines and newspapers still(Daily Mail's Friday film reviewer I read because he is a complete moron and it's fun to see what crap he comes out with when reviewing films).

I don't let reviews make the choice for me to see whatever film or not...

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 06:35 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Rotten Tomatoes is easily the best reviewing site around, if you know which critics to believe. Peter Travers is horrendous film critic, in my opinion.

If you want to get a really good 'mainstream critic' (although the non-mainstream critics, being less obliged to like snobbish and pretentious movies in order to look 'smart' and 'classy', are generally better), check someone like Ty Burr or A.O Scott.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 06:41 PM
Master Crimzon is currently offline Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbucket
Oddball Odd

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Rotten Tomatoes is easily the best reviewing site around, if you know which critics to believe. Peter Travers is horrendous film critic, in my opinion.

I have more or less come around to that opinion as well, although ten years ago he seemed a lot smarter for some reason...(then again, I was a lot younger).

Thanks for the Sight and Sound tip...

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 06:44 PM
deathbucket is currently offline Click here to Send deathbucket a Private Message Find more posts by deathbucket Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

the only one i don't pay any attention to is Mark Kermode...the man is a cvnt...to put it simply

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 07:10 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I hardly ever read movie reviews..

I go and judge for myself and not worry what some critic says..

One of the head peeps over at a major film studio once said after critics panned that studios film, he said "We don't make movies for critics" he said that after his film was highly successful at the box office

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 08:34 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I hardly ever read movie reviews..

I go and judge for myself and not worry what some critic says..

One of the head peeps over at a major film studio once said after critics panned that studios film, he said "We don't make movies for critics" he said that after his film was highly successful at the box office
coughcoughquantumofsolacecoughcough

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 08:42 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Originally posted by deathbucket
I have more or less come around to that opinion as well, although ten years ago he seemed a lot smarter for some reason...(then again, I was a lot younger).

It's not just that. The man's redefines "****ing snob". It pisses me off to no end.

Oh, Roger Ebert is generally good, too.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 09:34 PM
Master Crimzon is currently offline Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I check out, Fury of the Film fan or Spill.coms video's every now and again. I also check out Rotten tomatoes but when i go to RottenTomatoes it's more to see how bad certain movie's are doing with critics and in the box office numbers than anything else. I may be an ass but when i see movie's like, Meet Dave, get raped by critics and don't even make back a quarter of it's budget, i get happy. Anytime i go to movie review sites i always look for the worst ranked movie's and rarely, if ever check, out the reviews of the preferred movie's.

If there is a movie i want to see, i'm going to see it regardless of what any critic says. However, there have been occasions where i have completely passed on a movie due to word of mouth.

Having been a film fan all my life, like many people here, i generally know about movie's before they release and this includes the actors and Directors. This knowledge, coupled with trailers usually tell me everything i need to know. I follow the ingredients instead of the critics. I don't need to be told what to like or dislike, i can figure that out on my own. I'm not flaming the role of critics because once you find a critic that shares your taste they can be relatively reliable.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 09:38 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Originally posted by Master Crimzon
It's not just that. The man's redefines "****ing snob". It pisses me off to no end.

Oh, Roger Ebert is generally good, too.

Hmm... I really hate Roger Ebert. He didn't get Fight Club at all, and he thought Godfather: Part II was pretty shit, too. I'm a fan of Mark Kermode though. I often listen to his reviews on radio Five Live. I also generally read Empire for reviews, which is pretty awesome.

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 09:45 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Originally posted by Kovacs86
Hmm... I really hate Roger Ebert. He didn't get Fight Club at all, and he thought Godfather: Part II was pretty shit, too. I'm a fan of Mark Kermode though. I often listen to his reviews on radio Five Live. I also generally read Empire for reviews, which is pretty awesome.

Well, let's face it- Fight Club's a very problematic movie. Not everybody's gonna like it, and although I personally love it (caught it on TV a few weeks ago), I can definetly see a case made against it.

I do find it that he overuses some words and descriptions, notably the world 'exhilarating'.

I don't know Mark Kermode. And... do you know Ty Burr, from the Boston Globe? He's a very, very good reviewers, IMO. With a few exceptions- like giving "The New World" (one of my least favorite movies of all time... a traumatic experience) 4/4 stars, I agree with him on virtually everything.

And yeah, Empire's awesome. I don't particularly like Sight and Sound, though.

Know this, however- non-mainstream reviewers are generally much more reliable than the 'top critics' seen in a shit site like Metacritic.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 10:19 PM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
the only one i don't pay any attention to is Mark Kermode...the man is a cvnt...to put it simply

He is good to listen to when he talks about horror films, but outside of that genre I usually don't pay a lot of attention to him. Why do you say he is a cvnt?

Last edited by MildPossession on Nov 21st, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 10:28 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

watch newsnight review...it says all you need to know...saying that though...everyone on newsnight review is like that...except when they get the occasional comedian on to review...and who just gets looked at like they're scum when they try to make any attempt at humour

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 11:12 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbucket
Oddball Odd

Originally posted by Kovacs86
Hmm... I really hate Roger Ebert. He didn't get Fight Club at all, and he thought Godfather: Part II was pretty shit, too.

Yeah, GFII was one of those films that he gave a tepid review to originally but then revised his opinion of in his "Great Movies" series. Really annoying. I hate his audio commentaries, too (see "Floating Weeds")

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 11:43 PM
Walker.I

I read Dustin Putman of themovieboy.com because we have similar taste and he covers alot of stuff I look for in a movie. Sometimes I become a little angry with him because I see his opinions as a bit picky at points, but for the most I enjoy it. He loves horror movies and was never big on oscar bait if that's what you're looking for.

I also read Roger Ebert even though he really just describes the plot in an elongated form, I respect his opinion and love his occasional humor.

I generally try not to have any preconceived notions about a film before I see it, but sometimes it's unavoidable(Saw?). Also, I do love good promotional material, but sometimes(like in horror movies, thrillers, and comedies) it gives away a lot of the good stuff.

I knew you wouldn't give up. . .

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 02:19 AM
Walker.I is currently offline Click here to Send Walker.I a Private Message Find more posts by Walker.I Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Originally posted by deathbucket
Yeah, GFII was one of those films that he gave a tepid review to originally but then revised his opinion of in his "Great Movies" series. Really annoying. I hate his audio commentaries, too (see "Floating Weeds")

At least he has the balls to go out and say "You know what? I was wrong."

Not all critics can do that. That, he or just succumbed to the pressure of holding an unconventional opinion.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 09:35 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by jaden101

I worship at the altar of Mark Kermode! His and Mayo's Film Review is one of the best podcasts around!

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 10:13 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I listen to Krunk'd's reviews.

Lot of gay stuff in them usually, but they're fun.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 10:45 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote