KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Academy Award Nominations

Academy Award Nominations
Started by: Ultimate Wil

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

Academy Award Nominations

Here are the 2009 award nominations:

1. Best Picture: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Frost/Nixon," "Milk," "The Reader," "Slumdog Millionaire."

2. Actor: Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"; Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"; Sean Penn, "Milk"; Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler."

3. Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"; Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"; Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"; Meryl Streep, "Doubt"; Kate Winslet, "The Reader."

4. Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin, "Milk"; Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"; Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"; Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "Doubt"; Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"; Viola Davis, "Doubt"; Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler."

6. Director: /celebrities/celebrity/david-fincher/David Fincher, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; /celebrities/celebrity/ron-howard/Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"; /celebrities/celebrity/gus-van-sant/Gus Van Sant, "Milk"; /celebrities/celebrity/stephen-daldry/Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"; Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire."

7. Foreign Film: "The Baader Meinhof Complex," Germany; "The Class," France; "Departures," Japan; "Revanche," Austria; "Waltz With Bashir," Israel.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Eric Roth and Robin Swicord, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; John Patrick Shanley, "Doubt"; Peter Morgan, "Frost/Nixon"; David Hare, "The Reader"; Simon Beaufoy, "Slumdog Millionaire."

9. Original Screenplay: Courtney Hunt, "Frozen River"; Mike Leigh, "Happy-Go-Lucky"; Martin McDonagh, "In Bruges"; Dustin Lance Black, "Milk"; Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and Pete Docter, "WALL-E."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Bolt"; "Kung Fu Panda"; "WALL-E."

11. Art Direction: "Changeling," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "The Duchess," "Revolutionary Road."

12. Cinematography: "Changeling," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "The Reader," "Slumdog Millionaire."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Slumdog Millionaire," "WALL-E," "Wanted."

14. Sound Editing: "The Dark Knight," "Iron Man," "Slumdog Millionaire," "WALL-E," "Wanted."

15. Original Score: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Alexandre Desplat; "Defiance," James Newton Howard; "Milk," Danny Elfman; "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman; "WALL-E," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Down to Earth" from "WALL-E," /music/artist/peter-gabriel.3/Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman; "Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Gulzar; "O Saya" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam.

17. Costume: "Australia," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Duchess," "Milk," "Revolutionary Road."

18. Documentary Feature: "The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)," "Encounters at the End of the World," "The Garden," "Man on Wire," "Trouble the Water."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Conscience of Nhem En," "The Final Inch," "Smile /music/artist/pink.2/Pinki," "The Witness — From the Balcony of Room 306."

20. Film Editing: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Frost/Nixon," "Milk," "Slumdog Millionaire."

21. Makeup: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Hellboy II: The Golden Army."

22. Animated Short Film: "La Maison en Petits Cubes," "Lavatory — Lovestory," "Oktapodi," "Presto," "This Way Up."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Auf der Strecke (On the Line)," "Manon on the Asphalt," "New Boy," "The Pig," "Spielzeugland (Toyland)."

24. Visual Effects: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Iron Man."

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 03:36 PM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

WALL.E has definitely won the Best Animation.

I'm disappointed about Sally Hawkins, and Kristin Scott Thomas not getting a nomination.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 04:38 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I'm excited about the Best Actress nominations, though. It looks like a really strong group. Same with the Supporting roles.

2 surprises, at least for me: Leonardo DiCaprio is now 0 for 2 on nominations from movies he's starred with Kate Winslett. He's gotten nothing but rave reviews and yet he's not nominated...again?

The Dark Knight was named one of the best (in addition to successful) films of the year and other than Heath Ledger's nomination, it's only nominated for technical awards? I thought Return of the King paved the way for different kinds of movies to win Best Picture and the like. I'm excited for it to win Best Supporting Actor, though. A posthumous award hasn't been given out to a Supporting Actor since like 1976.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 04:41 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe The Dark Knight got all the right nominations, except a Music score nomination would have been nice too.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 04:46 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Music, definitely, and I think it should have gotten a Directing nomination, as well as a Screenplay. We've all seen how easy it is to screw up Batman and the Joker.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 04:47 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think there was no space for Director for him, all the Directors in the nominations are fantastic, not too sure on The Reader Director though.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 05:06 PM
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

quote: (post)
Originally posted by willofthewisp

We've all seen how easy it is to screw up Batman and the Joker.

When?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 05:16 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

The 60s Batman movie was what I had in mind.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 09:06 PM
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Yeah, as I expected, The Dark Knight got left out of both the Best Picture and Director categories. I was surprised, and therefore even more upset, that it didn't get nominated for score. Also, I'm pissed that The Wrestler isn't up for Best Picture, that movie was great. Surely better than The Reader (from what I've heard). I don't put much stock in the Oscars, but usually the nominations at least meet my expectations, even if the right movies don't win. Not so this year, disappointing nominations.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 09:25 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Think The Wrestler and Wall-E should have been nominated for best picture.

Once again I'm disappointed by the nominations.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 09:55 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Howard Beale

Pretty satisfying noms with 1 major drawback: Recognition for the Reader! Believe me this movie DOES NOT deserve the hype. It was decent AT BEST and not anywhere within a tenth as good as TDK or Wall-e. Stephen Daldry also DOES NOT deserve his nom. Would have been much better with Nolan or Stanton or a dozen other directors.
I love the oscars though and hope that BB and Milk win most of their categories since those are two of my favorite films.

4) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- 9.5
5) In Bruges- 9.5
6) The Wrestler-9.5
7) The Dark Knight- 9
8) The Fall- 9

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 09:58 PM
Howard Beale is currently offline Click here to Send Howard Beale a Private Message Find more posts by Howard Beale Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fruits
Regenbogenfarben

Dark Knight should've been in best picture, and more importantly best director. Christopher Nolan is one of the best directors around today...The Reader=not so great. I also would've liked to see Dark Knight in Adapted Screenplay and Score

Surprised at the Leo snub

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 09:58 PM
fruits is currently offline Click here to Send fruits a Private Message Find more posts by fruits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

I'm sorry but no way should Benjamin Button have been nominated for Best Picture over the Wrestler or the Dark Knight IMO. I'm happy The Dark Knight took home 8 noms but I would have been more accepting of the best pic nom if Benjamin Button hadn't gotten one of the slots.

Screenplay and director without a doubt for the Dark Knight too.

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 12:43 AM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

I'm really surprised neither The Wrestler, The Dark Knight, or Wall-E didn't get a Best Picture nomination.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 01:14 AM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Walker.I

I'm glad Benjamin Button got up there, but I'm really surprised about Richard Jenkins and Melissa Leo's nominations. Those were the performances that people wanted in there but no one ever honestly thought would make it, so I'm pretty happy. I'm not happy that "The Dark Knight" didn't get a nomination for Picture or score. I'm not surprised that Wall-E didn't get nominated for Best Picture, it's still animated no matter how good it is and that's why they created the animated section so they didn't have to put an animated film in the Best Picture category again.

I knew you wouldn't give up. . .

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 03:23 AM
Walker.I is currently offline Click here to Send Walker.I a Private Message Find more posts by Walker.I Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Howard Beale

I'm surprised that TDK and Wall-e BOTH got snubbed, and annoyed. I'm really glad Melissa Leo slipped in cause she was fantastic. I'm not surprised the wrestler got snubbed from a lot of categories though, it's not as baity as far as content and is mostly an actor movie between Rourke and Tomei. Acting pieces just don't really get as much heat, (Doubt).
FYI I just saw a commercial for BB where they are already advertising the Nominations success: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is the most Oscar nominated movie of the year with 13 nominations" Oh jumping jupiter!

4) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- 9.5
5) In Bruges- 9.5
6) The Wrestler-9.5
7) The Dark Knight- 9
8) The Fall- 9

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 04:13 AM
Howard Beale is currently offline Click here to Send Howard Beale a Private Message Find more posts by Howard Beale Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Walker.I
I'm not surprised that Wall-E didn't get nominated for Best Picture, it's still animated no matter how good it is and that's why they created the animated section so they didn't have to put an animated film in the Best Picture category again.

Which is unfair because if an animated movie is good enough, it should be nominated for Best Picture. It would be like saying that any movie nominated for Best Foreign Language shouldn't be nominated for Best Picture since it has it's own separate category.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 04:24 AM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

Glad Mickey was nominated

thank u bz

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 04:46 AM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVuL
DeVuL = LuVeD

This is why I don't watch the AA's anymore... disappointing.. and how in the hell does RD Jr. get nominated for an AA in that type of film? Yah, he played a black man and the makeup was good an all, but best supporting actor? I don't get how that happened....

"Well hello Mister Fancypants! Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things, right now: Jack and shit... and Jack left town." - Ash

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 05:25 AM
DeVuL is currently offline Click here to Send DeVuL a Private Message Find more posts by DeVuL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

It's more than he played a black man though. He also played a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude. LOL. I was shocked by Robert Downey Jr too but honestly I think they did it more to celebrate his come back from the brink of self destruction, and they weren't gonna nominate his performance in Iron Man, so...lol

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 06:03 AM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote