KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Footloose (2011)

Footloose (2011)
Started by: Mr Parker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mr Parker

Angry Okay hollywood has REALLY crossed the line this time

Its bad enough that it just seems like they are going to keep making one James Bond movie after another as long as they can keep making movies,but they have really crossed the line now major big time by having the gall to make a remake of the classic movie Footloose with Kevin Bacon. mad

Sorry but NOBODY can measure up to his performance he gave in that film.He was born to play that role. mad Not only that,the girl cast opposite of him is just ugly. sick Not at all hot like Lori Singer was.

whats next,a remake of the origianl Star Wars trilogy? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nothing surprises me anymore now with this so that would not surprise me.I mean it would be one thing if they did like they did with Hairspray and have it be a musical but they are just remaking and copying practically EVERYTHING they did from the original film. mad
The original movie was so perfectly cast.Everybody was perfectly cast in their roles.This film will not measure up the great casting choices made from the original film.why try and mess with perfection?

The Only thing about this film that makes me curious to see it when it comes to cable,is it looks like they might explain more his fallout he had with his father and go into more detail about that.Thats the ONLY thing that makes me want to view it which again i will wait till it comes to cable.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Aug 26th, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Old Post Aug 26th, 2011 12:27 AM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I saw an interview with Kevin Bacon recently.
He said, when Footloose was originally released he hated the popularity it gave him.

Every time he went to a party, someone would inevitably put the song on then the crowd would literally gather in a circle around him & expect him to break into dance. it was more like a curse that people looked at him like he was a performing monkey.

I can only guess that that writers guild strike really shook Hollywood up. Producers/directors just didn't realise the crippling effect the strike had on their productions.

Remakes in that sense need less writers (& imagination) to still be a box office hit. Whether the individual loathes the idea of a remake, they'll still pay for a movie ticket to back up their negative opinions.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2011 04:41 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I saw an interview with Kevin Bacon recently.
He said, when Footloose was originally released he hated the popularity it gave him.

Every time he went to a party, someone would inevitably put the song on then the crowd would literally gather in a circle around him & expect him to break into dance. it was more like a curse that people looked at him like he was a performing monkey.

I can only guess that that writers guild strike really shook Hollywood up. Producers/directors just didn't realise the crippling effect the strike had on their productions.

Remakes in that sense need less writers (& imagination) to still be a box office hit. Whether the individual loathes the idea of a remake, they'll still pay for a movie ticket to back up their negative opinions.

yeah i remember seeing that as well.How bout you? do you agree with all my points? did you like the movie footloose? the people that did,most probably agree,the people who didnt like it,they of course could care less.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2011 09:51 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Okay hollywood has REALLY crossed the line this time

Originally posted by Mr Parker
Its bad enough that it just seems like they are going to keep making one James Bond movie after another as long as they can keep making movies,but they have really crossed the line now major big time by having the gall to make a remake of the classic movie Footloose with Kevin Bacon. mad

So of all the remakes, this is the film that's the untouchable gem for you?

Come on. Film was cheesy/shit, it can't get all that much worse in a remake.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 26th, 2011 11:47 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

How bout you? do you agree with all my points? did you like the movie footloose? the people that did,most probably agree,the people who didnt like it,they of course could care less.

Although I can't remember much of Footloose, I agree that it was an iconic movie for it's time. Rebellion themes with a classic 80's pop soundtrack doesn't really count in my opinion as a need to remake it for the 2000 generation.

Yes, I can see Hollywood pitching & remaking The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles & St. Elmo's Fire.

If you are in your forties, as I am then we are in that generation to be cynical about Hollywood's pale excuse at blockbusters ie: Remakes & Reboots.

I don't agree with your comparisons to James Bond. The 007 movies are a franchise, no matter who plays the character.

A remake of Star Wars?
No, not as long as Lucas is greedy & content enough to keep rehashing & altering the movies he's already done.
He's releasing Phantom Menace next year IN 3D...how much more tedious is Jar jar & the pod race gonna get?

Old Post Aug 27th, 2011 03:03 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Although I can't remember much of Footloose, I agree that it was an iconic movie for it's time. Rebellion themes with a classic 80's pop soundtrack doesn't really count in my opinion as a need to remake it for the 2000 generation.

Yes, I can see Hollywood pitching & remaking The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles & St. Elmo's Fire.

If you are in your forties, as I am then we are in that generation to be cynical about Hollywood's pale excuse at blockbusters ie: Remakes & Reboots.

I don't agree with your comparisons to James Bond. The 007 movies are a franchise, no matter who plays the character.

A remake of Star Wars?
No, not as long as Lucas is greedy & content enough to keep rehashing & altering the movies he's already done.
He's releasing Phantom Menace next year IN 3D...how much more tedious is Jar jar & the pod race gonna get?

thats a good point i hadnt thought of.since the movie had mostly 80's pop soundtrack songs it makes no sense to try and remake a film like this.if they play the same songs from the movie,then its going to be dated roll eyes (sarcastic) if they keep those sings out and use different songs,then your betraying the source material, so either way it proves they are morons for doing this.

Like i said,i could understand it if they were doing what they did with hairspray where the original movie that came out i think in the late 90's sometime.it wasnt a musical.So they made a play out of the movie and made it into a musical and then a movie remake by making the next movie a musical.Now if they were doing it THAT way,making this movie a musical like Hairspray did,i would be all for it but they're not, so its just plain dumb as hell to remake this movie either way you cut it.

btw,I assume you have never seen the play Footloose? if you havent and you love this movie as much as i do,then you should order the play sometime and read it.Its really good also.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Aug 27th, 2011 at 08:20 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2011 08:16 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Re: Okay hollywood has REALLY crossed the line this time

Sorry but NOBODY can measure up to his performance he gave in that film.He was born to play that role. mad Not only that,the girl cast opposite of him is just ugly. sick Not at all hot like Lori Singer was.

whats next,a remake of the origianl Star Wars trilogy? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nothing surprises me anymore now with this so that would not surprise me.I mean it would be one thing if they did like they did with Hairspray and have it be a musical but they are just remaking and copying practically EVERYTHING they did from the original film. mad
The original movie was so perfectly cast.Everybody was perfectly cast in their roles.This film will not measure up the great casting choices made from the original film.why try and mess with perfection?

The Only thing about this film that makes me curious to see it when it comes to cable,is it looks like they might explain more his fallout he had with his father and go into more detail about that.Thats the ONLY thing that makes me want to view it which again i will wait till it comes to cable.

They kind of did that with Star wars already but started it in the begining not the end. Anyway I think it is just pitful are the directors and writter that brainless?

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2011 03:20 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Teen rebellion is timeless, so it could very well work today as it did 25+ years ago, just with updated dance moves and soundtrack.

Granted, I have no hopes for this film, as teen movies of today are of lower quality than teen flicks of the 80's. Compare The Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful and Can't Buy Me Love to the Twilight Saga flicks.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2011 04:43 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Instead of Kenny Loggins as the soundtrack, it's gonna be some titular R&B/pop rock/dance/techno song.

I cant wait to see how bad it is.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 29th, 2011 08:44 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Never know, they could very well use many of the same songs, just covered by current artist.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2011 09:02 PM
super pr*xy

no.. just.. no..

Old Post Aug 29th, 2011 09:12 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Robtard
Teen rebellion is timeless, so it could very well work today as it did 25+ years ago, just with updated dance moves and soundtrack.

Granted, I have no hopes for this film, as teen movies of today are of lower quality than teen flicks of the 80's. Compare The Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful and Can't Buy Me Love to the Twilight Saga flicks.

Teen rebellion might be a timeless theme but are you really gonna break out in song & dance (Footloose style) in the middle of a meth lab whilst yer homies are doing drive-bys becos they feel dissed & misunderstood?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2011 03:06 AM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Teen rebellion might be a timeless theme but are you really gonna break out in song & dance (Footloose style) in the middle of a meth lab whilst yer homies are doing drive-bys becos they feel dissed & misunderstood?

lol you hit that one right on the nail! laughing

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2011 03:00 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
lol you hit that one right on the nail! laughing

yeah he sure did.well said.

Like i said earlier,nobody can meausure up to the performance that Kevin Bacon gave.I have seen him in other films where I really liked what he did in that movie as well but as i said before,he was born to play this part.there is no other Ren Mccormick.

They had a really extremely hard time finding the right actor to play the part.In the DVD,the producer talks about how they looked at a lot of other different actors before settling on Bacon.They said the closest they came to finding someone to play the part before settling on Bacon was Tom Cruise.

They had gone through so many different actors that they were getting desperate and they thought of Cruise and asked him to give a reading which he did but they just werent sold on Cruise either.they said that he didnt quite fit what they were looking for either so they had to pass on him as well.Thank God for that because while Cruise is a pretty good actor now,back then he was horrible.

The producer was then talking to one of his friends who assisted in the casting of Diner that Bacon was in before Footloose so he told him he should take a look at Bacon.Fortunately he listened to his friend and Bacon gave a screen test and reading and they were automatically sold on him from day one.The producer and the director before they had cast Bacon, had taken in some other actors they thought might be able to do the role but those producers told them no,that they were not quite what they were looking for including Cruise.

So since they had had a hard time getting the executive producers to accept their previous choices before and they were sold on Bacon and that he was the perfect choice they had in mind for the role, the producer told the director-Thats it,this is our last guy we are going to go in there with and give a screen test to them for.If they dont like him,we are walking out,thats it.He is our guy.The executive producers of course liked what they saw from Bacon in his screen test but the only thing they were worried about was bacon could not dance and was not a dancer so they told them-dont worry about that,he'll learn and he'll do it.and of course he did and the rest is history.

they went to all that trouble trying to find the perfect Ren Mccormick,they finally in the end got what they were looking for making the perfect casting choice and now they want to destroy a classic. roll eyes (sarcastic) nice work hollywood. mad

Last edited by Mr Parker on Sep 1st, 2011 at 09:49 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 09:41 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Does this movie focus specifically on inner-city youths of say South Central Los Angeles. If so, you might have a point.

The theme of youth rebellion goes back to Rebel Without A Cause, probably before. If done right, it can work in 2011 too and beyond.

So far the anti-remake crowd arguments amount to: "I like this movie, ergo it shouldn't be remade." Which is silly.

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 1st, 2011 at 09:50 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 09:46 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

they went to all that trouble trying to find the perfect Ren Mccormick,they finally in the end got what they were looking for making the perfect casting choice and now they want to destroy a classic. roll eyes (sarcastic) nice work hollywood. mad

How does a remake 25+ years later destroy Footloose of 1984?

I for one was grateful of the Conan(film I enjoy greatly) remake, it was so terrible it showed how great the original is, in a manner.

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 1st, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 09:57 PM
Mr. Rhythmic

Re: Re: Okay hollywood has REALLY crossed the line this time

Come on. Film was cheesy/shit, it can't get all that much worse in a remake.

You're on your own there. "Footloose" is a great movie, and there's absolutely no reason to make yet another useless remake.

I never pay to see all of these remakes, because I'm hoping that one day other people get sick of it too.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 10:11 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: Re: Okay hollywood has REALLY crossed the line this time

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
You're on your own there. "Footloose" is a great movie, and there's absolutely no reason to make yet another useless remake.

I never pay to see all of these remakes, because I'm hoping that one day other people get sick of it too.

Our 'it's a great' or 'not great' film is a matter of opinion, in 1984, I didn't care for it much. Don't love it, but don't hate it. There is a reason to make the film though; it's the same reason most other films are made; why the original was made. There's a market for it and it will generate $$$.

Which is fine;support what you like, 100% agreement there. But saying "they shouldn't make it" is silly.

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 1st, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 10:15 PM
Impediment
Endless

Re: Re: Re: Okay hollywood has REALLY crossed the line this time

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic

Click me.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 10:16 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Does this movie focus specifically on inner-city youths of say South Central Los Angeles. If so, you might have a point.

The theme of youth rebellion goes back to Rebel Without A Cause, probably before. If done right, it can work in 2011 too and beyond.

So far the anti-remake crowd arguments amount to: "I like this movie, ergo it shouldn't be remade." Which is silly.

Yes, but what exactly do youths have to rebel against these days?

Uptight parents & a close-minded society were the days of Thatcher & Reagan, getting drafted into the army & burning books that questioned religion & the state. None of these factors would be applicable to a present day Footloose.

In a lot of ways, 8 Mile was this generation's FootLoose.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 02:35 AM